Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 67 ( Chapter 67 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 67
 
Heero heard the commentator over the cheering of the crowd and couldn't believe he'd heard right. He looked for the exit and his lover who he knew would confirm or correct the commentator's words. Sitting deep into his saddle, he slowed a reluctant Shini to a trot and made for the exit. He could see Duo practically jumping up and down on the spot with a huge grin plastered to his face and knew he must have heard the commentator correctly.
 
Riding out through the exit, Heero was immediately surrounded by his friends and his lover, the congratulations falling thick around him as he dismounted.
 
“Well ridden!” Michael said with a broad grin.
 
“Great round,” Zechs offered, also with a smile.
 
“Heero, how the hell you pulled that off, I'll never know,” Treize chuckled. “It's an honor to be beaten by you.”
 
“That was simply fantastic, Heero,” Zoe congratulated and quickly pressed a kiss to Heero's cheek, much to Heero's embarrassment.
 
Duo saw the kiss and the resulting flush to Heero's cheeks and he snickered to himself as he pushed forth to offer his own good wishes. Desperately wanting to hug and kiss his lover, but knowing he couldn't, Duo had to settle for slinging his arm around Heero's shoulders in a 'buddy' gesture. “Heero, that was simply stunning. I'm so proud of you.”
 
Heero felt himself melting and longed to hold Duo. Instead, his cobalt eyes softened and filled with love as he stared deeply into Duo's eyes. “Thank you. It wasn't just me though, Shini was superb.”
 
“I know, and he will get his reward in just a sec.” Duo's own eyes softened and completely forgetting all about the people that surrounded them, he mouthed, 'I love you.'
 
Heero briefly squeezed Duo's hand and mouthed the same words back.
 
Zoe happened to be watching and caught the tender exchange, her eyes lighting up as she only barely managed to hold onto the excited squeal that wanted to leave her throat. Turning to Michael, she grabbed her husband's hand and pulled the man close so she could whisper in his ear. “Guess what?”
 
“What?” Michael asked, his tone amused.
 
“I wasn't completely sure, but now I'm certain that Heero and Duo are a couple, and I don't mean in the house mates department either,” she whispered excitedly.
 
“Oh, that. I already knew,” Michael returned, looking a little smug. It was so much fun to tease his wife.
 
Zoe stepped back in shock, releasing Michael's hand. “You did?” she stated, her eyes wide.
 
“Uh, yeah.”
 
“And when were you planning on telling me? More to the point, when and how did you find out?” Zoe was a little miffed that her husband knew something she didn't.
 
Michael was fortunately saved from the inquest as the commentator called for the four place getters to return the arena for the presentation of the rosettes and cup.
 
Duo stopped feeding Shinigami carrots and checked the girth. Heero took his reins and mounted the stallion, settling into the saddle easily and preparing to lead the other three into the arena.
 
Treize was already on Romeo and waiting, Zoe scrambled hastily to mount Lion and as she settled into her saddle, she gave Michael a few parting words.
 
“Don't think this discussion is over, I will expect answers when I return.”
 
The four made their way back into the arena and to where the judge and event sponsor were waiting for them. Bringing Shini to a halt, Heero smiled as Treize and Zoe lined up next to him, the fourth rider making up the line on the far end.
 
The judge stepped forward with the blue rosette and pinned it to Shinigami's bridle. Then he turned to Heero and shook his hand.
 
“A very exciting round, young man. That was some skilled riding out there and a damn good horse to be able to do it with.”
 
“Thank you,” Heero acknowledged and patted Shini's neck. “He's a great horse to ride.”
 
“I hear you're on the Olympic shortlist?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“After that performance I'd say the selectors will be more than impressed. Well done, I'm sure you will make the team.”
 
Thank you, sir,” Heero replied, his cheeks going red as his heart hammered in his chest.
 
The judge nodded and moved on to Treize and Zoe, two red rosettes in his hand whilst the sponsor came up to Heero and presented him with the cup and an envelope containing his prize money. Heero thanked the sponsor, slipped the envelope into his jacket pocket and did his best to try and sort out holding the cup and hanging onto his reins.
 
The judge spoke briefly with both Treize and Zoe, commenting on how much he'd enjoyed watching the three of them ride off and how astounded he'd been when they had tied on time. “It's a very rare occurrence to have a tie on time,” he said.
 
Treize and Zoe agreed, neither one of them having thought that Zoe's words from earlier regarding them all tying would ever come to pass. It just went to show that one could never tell with horses and showjumping.
 
Once all the rosettes had been handed out, Heero and Shinigami led the lap of honor around the arena to the applause of the crowd. Exiting once more, several fellow competitors offered their congratulations and the three were kept chatting for a few minutes before finally managing to make it to the side of the collecting ring and their respective grooms and partners.
 
Duo immediately fished in his pocket and pulled out several carrots for Shinigami, much to the stallion's delight. Whilst the horse was busy munching away, Duo gave Heero a hand to loosen the girth and run the stirrups up. Joe had similarly taken charge of Romeo leaving Treize free to chat with Zechs. Michael was assisting Zoe with Lionheart and suffering the questions his wife was raining down on him with immeasurable patience.
 
“Just when exactly did you find out Heero and Duo are a couple?” she said, keeping her voice low. “I've had my suspicions for a while, but not been able to confirm things either way.”
 
Knowing his wife would keep at him until he told her, Michael gave in. “It wasn't so much confirmed in a verbal admission,” he began, “but more of a strong hint.” Michael proceeded to tell Zoe of his interaction and conversation earlier with Duo which led to the silent confirmation.
 
“Well, I think it's sweet and I really don't care that they're two guys together,” Zoe stated.
 
“It doesn't bother me either,” Michael said with a smile. “They're still the same two guys I've always known, just because they're in a relationship together doesn't change who they are.”
 
Zoe surprised her husband by planting a warm kiss to his lips. “I'm so pleased you think that way, there's enough bigotry in society today as it is. We must let them know that it doesn't matter to us and that our friendship is still just as strong as ever,” she said with a smile.
 
“Do you think that this is the place to have that discussion?” Michael replied as he pointedly looked around the collecting ring and people currently there.
 
“Not here, you idiot!” Zoe chuckled and punched Michael's arm. “Wait until we get back to the float and have the horses settled. We can have a chat to them both before we leave.”
 
“Ah, okay then.” Michael thought it best to simply give in. Zoe would have her say regardless of what he thought. Women; guess he'd never fully understand them. In one way he envied Heero and Duo, at least they didn't have to try to figure out the feminine psyche!
 
The friends all departed the collecting ring and headed back to their respective floats. Treize bid his farewells and disappeared towards the gooseneck where Joe had already got Romeo tied up and was preparing the bay for the trip home. Zechs also gave his farewells and went to see if there was anything he could do to assist Joe and Treize before following them back to Treize's place in his own car.
 
Zoe informed Heero and Duo that they would come over to their float shortly and give their own farewells, just as soon as they had settled Lion.
 
With Shinigami tied to the float, Duo set about removing the jumping boots whilst Heero unsaddled and gave the gray a quick brush down, putting his rug on afterwards. Duo emptied out the water bucket and did his best to cram the gear back into the car. With everything all packed and only Shini left to put on the float, Heero looked up and smiled as he spotted Zoe and Michael approaching.
 
“You two heading off now?” Heero asked as their friends stopped to pat Shini.
 
“Yeah. It's a long drive for us,” Michael replied.
 
Duo appeared beside Heero and gave the couple a warm smile. “Congratulations again,” he said.
 
“Thanks.” Zoe paused for a moment, obviously struggling internally with herself. Mind made up, she spoke quietly, but to the point. “Duo, Heero, do you mind if I ask you something? It's kind of personal and I'll understand if you don't want to answer, but if you do, whatever your answer is, I just want you to know it won't affect our friendship.”
 
Both men looked a little confused.
 
“Errr... I guess so,” Duo finally said, his mind telling him he had a fair idea of what Zoe was going to ask. It didn't really bother him as he'd hinted so much to Michael, but he wasn't sure how Heero would react. He shifted a little closer to his lover just in case reassurance was needed - or CPR.
 
“Umm... I'm not sure how to put this, but... Well, I've kinda had my suspicions, but...”
 
“What she wants to know is are you two a couple as in a relationship sense?” Michael interrupted, saving his wife from further embarrassment. He gave both men a reassuring smile.
 
For a moment, Heero forgot to breathe as the words struck home. His eyes carefully looked from one to the other, calculating by what he could see in their faces and eyes how they would be likely to react to the truth.
 
Duo saved him from answering though.
 
“Yes, Zoe. Heero and I are a couple, we're both gay. I hope that doesn't offend you, either of you.”
 
Zoe's face lit up like a Christmas tree. “Hell no! It doesn't offend either of us, quite the opposite in fact. I'm happy for you both, we're happy for you and I hope we can continue our friendship as it doesn't make one scrap of difference. Actually, I'm honored you would trust us with your secret, it mustn't be easy for you, either one of you.”
 
“You got that right,” Heero muttered.
 
“Unfortunately, society isn't quite as accepting as you two,” Duo said softly.
 
“I can imagine,” Michael mumbled. “Some people have nothing better to do than disparage others, especially when it's something they feel threatened by.”
 
“Hear, hear,” said Heero.
 
”Well, you two will always be welcome in our home and we thank you for trusting us with this information. You can rest assured that we will not tell anyone the true nature of your relationship,” Zoe said, the sincerity thick in her voice.
 
“Thank you,” Duo murmured and gave the woman a hug.
 
Michael nodded in affirmation of his wife's words, Heero returning the nod with one of his own.
 
“We really should be going, we have a pretty long drive ahead of us,” Zoe sighed. “It was good to see you both again and good luck with the selection, Heero. I'm sure they will have noticed you, especially after today's performance,” she added with a laugh.
 
“Good luck to you too, Zoe. Drive safely and no doubt we will see you again soon,” Heero replied.
 
The couple took their leave, returning to their float and loading Lion on. Heero put Shinigami in the float and with one last check that they had everything stowed away, he climbed into the driver's seat and started the car.
 
* * *
 
It had been five weeks since the show and the end of the showjumping season was upon them. Heero had taken Shinigami to one last competition and the stallion had gone well, finishing second in his class to Treize and Romeo. With the season closing, Heero was letting the horse's work down slowly. When a horse was as fit as Shini was, you couldn't just stop the work and turn him out into the paddock, to do that would be asking for all sorts of medical problems. Heero simply began to cut down on the amount and type of work Shini was doing. He still intended to keep a reasonable level of fitness to the stallion, but no jumping for several weeks, the gray deserved a break.
 
Treize was doing a similar thing with Romeo, but all the other horses in the stable were still being worked as usual which meant Heero was kept quite busy.
 
With Christmas just around the corner, the E.F.A. selection committee board would have met and discussed all of the riders they were currently watching for the different proposed Olympic teams. Not only was Australia planning on sending a showjumping team, but a dressage and three day event team as well. The competition was fierce, all those shortlisted had given it their all in an attempt to make the final team.
 
Heero knew he was in with a chance and a damn good chance at that, it all depended now on the selectors' recommendations and his own 'track' record. Shini had jumped beautifully, not just in the current season, but also the previous season. They had done extremely well, Shini usually finishing in the top four and Heero had added several more cups and trophies to the cabinet in the lounge that Duo had insisted on buying for just that purpose.
 
Heero returned home from his day at Treize's to find Duo busy setting up Christmas decorations in the surgery. They had already put up the ones in the house and Duo had insisted the surgery should also be decorated. After much consultation between Hilde, Duo and Catherine, they had decided to keep the decorations simple, just enough to add to the festive atmosphere without going overboard and possibly tempting some of the clients to try to attack or play with the decorations. It was one thing to have your client there to be treated for one ailment, without having to treat it for something incurred whilst waiting in the waiting room such as an overdose of tinsel.
 
Walking into the reception area, Heero couldn't help but chuckle. There was tinsel strung around the walls and a large tree in the corner. On the top of the reception desk, where Trowa's collection tin usually stood was a fat, round snowman, complete with woolly cap and carrot for his nose. The collection tin was moved slightly to the side, but still present.
 
“Hey, Heero,” Duo called out from where he was perched on a chair, trying to reach the top of the tree to sit the star there. Catherine and Hilde were putting the finishing touches to the tree and both women turned and smiled at the rider.
 
Having secured the star, Duo stepped down from the chair and moved back to admire the result. Hilde and Catherine joined him, along with Heero.
 
“Looks good,” Heero commented.
 
“Thanks,” Duo replied.
 
“I'll get the broom and sweep up the mess,” Catherine stated as she looked at the bits of tinsel scattered around the floor.
 
“I'll help you,” Hilde smiled and followed the receptionist out of the waiting room.
 
“You almost finished?” Heero asked as he wrapped his arms around Duo's waist and pressed a kiss to the vet's neck.
 
“Mmmm... Yeah. Just gotta go change and we're good to go.” Duo turned around in his lover's arms and wrapped his own around Heero, stealing a kiss.
 
Catherine and Hilde returned just as the pair were pulling apart.
 
“We're heading off now. You're okay with the afternoon surgery, Hil?”
 
“I'm fine,” Hilde replied. “You guys get going and don't forget my present,” she teased.
 
Duo rolled his eyes. “How could I? You've done nothing but remind me of it since I told you a week ago that Heero and I were going Christmas shopping today.”
 
“Just making sure,” came the cheeky reply.
 
“Come on, Heero. Let's get out of here and hit the shops. Maybe I can find something for Hilde in the joke shop, something like a large, rubber snake.”
 
“Don't you dare, Duo Maxwell!” Hilde snorted. Whilst Hilde was an excellent vet and loved all animals, there was something about snakes she simply couldn't abide - in fact, she was terrified of them.
 
“I'll make sure he behaves,” Heero said as he followed his boyfriend out of the waiting room and left the girls to their cleaning.
 
“Knowing you, you'll make sure he buys two snakes,” Hilde retorted.
 
Heero chuckled.
 
* * *
 
“I think that's all of it,” Duo stated as he mentally checked the list in his head. His arms were weighted down with bags containing packages as were Heero's. Inside the bags was a little something for Hilde, Catherine, Trowa, Quatre, Zechs, Treize and each of their respective mothers. All they had left to purchase was a gift for each other.
 
Putting the packages in the car trunk, they decided to split up and look for those gifts separately. Agreeing to meet back at the car in an hour, Heero went one way and Duo the other.
 
Duo wasn't sure what to get for Heero, the man was extremely difficult to buy for as he had very simple tastes and didn't really need anything. He wandered around the department store, stopping from time to time to inspect something that had caught his eye, only to put it back and move on, deeming it something Heero wouldn't be interested in.
 
He was getting more and more frustrated with his lack of ideas, eventually he found himself in the menswear section and ultimately staring at an advertisement sign that asked; 'Trying to find that elusive gift for the man that has it all? Then look no further.' Duo read the rest of the ad and followed the direction the arrow on the bottom pointed in. He found himself in an aisle containing silk pajamas, underwear and other, slightly naughty items. He gave a feral grin and dived in.
 
* * *
 
Heero was having a little more luck than Duo. Knowing Duo's love of old movies, science fiction and the like, he'd headed for the audio visual and the row upon row of DVDs. He started at one end and worked his way along, stopping from time to time to pick up one of the cases and peruse the cover. Glancing at his watch, Heero realized three quarters of the hour had passed and he needed to move his ass or he would be late in meeting Duo back at the car.
 
Tossing the current case he was holding into the basket, Heero's eyes widened and he pulled up short. His basket was pretty much jammed with an assortment of DVDs. As he'd been looking, he'd put more into the basket than he'd thought. Knowing he didn't have enough money to pay for all of them, not to mention Duo would seriously berate him for purchasing so many, Heero did a quick sort through and put some titles back. After all, there was still Duo's birthday in the future and he could always come back and purchase those others then.
 
With the pile now a little more modest, Heero headed for the checkout.
 
* * *
 
“Where shall we put these?” Heero asked as he carried the last of the parcels into the kitchen and dumped them on the table.
 
“Guest bedroom,” Duo replied absently as he carried his own armful through and past his lover to put on the single bed.
 
Grunting softly, Heero picked up some of the parcels and followed.
 
Duo made certain to stash his gift for Heero in a place the other man wouldn't be likely to look and find it - in the dryer.
 
Heero had similar thoughts regarding Duo's gift and ended up hiding the package under the spare towels in the laundry closet.
 
With the gifts hidden and the other ones in the spare room, Heero made one last trip out to the car to bring in the wrapping paper and accessories whilst Duo made them both a coffee.
 
“Put those in the spare room too please, Heero,” Duo said as his lover came in, arms full of all the necessities for their gift wrapping.
 
Returning a couple of minutes later, Heero found a mug of coffee pressed into his hand and with a smile he took it and sat down gratefully onto one of the kitchen chairs. He toed off his sneakers and gave a soft moan as he wriggled his toes. “I honestly don't know how women can do that,” he commented.
 
“Do what?” Duo asked absently from inside the pantry where he was searching for the biscuit tin.
 
“Spend all day on their feet shopping.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“We were only three hours and my feet are killing me.”
 
“Never mind, I'll give you a foot rub later,” replied Duo as he set the biscuit tin on the table and lifted the lid off.
 
Heero took a couple of biscuits from the tin. “Thanks, that would be nice.”
 
They discussed the various gifts they had bought for their friends whilst finishing off their coffees and once done, Duo announced he'd better head up to the surgery as evening consults would be starting soon and he wanted to check with Hilde that all had gone okay with the afternoon surgery that they'd had booked in. It was only an abscess drain and Hilde was quite capable of performing the surgery, but Duo liked to check anyway.
 
“I'll come with you,” Heero stated as he took both their mugs to the sink to wash through. “I'll get a head start on the monthly accounts before bringing in the horses for the night.”
 
“Okay.” Duo slipped off to change.
 
* * *
 
“Hey, Hilde. How was the afternoon?” Duo asked as he entered the surgery and found the other vet chatting with Catherine in the reception area.
 
“Fine,” she replied. “The abscess didn't take long to drain and the dog should make a full recovery.”
 
“Good.”
 
“The owner will be by around seven to pick him up.”
 
“No problem.” Duo spotted the pile of mail sitting on the reception desk and moved across to pick it up.
 
“I haven't had a chance to sort it out yet,” Catherine said as she saw her boss reach for the mail.
 
“It's okay, I can do it now and check it whilst I'm at it,” Duo replied.
 
Heero took a seat and fired up Nrobbuts, Catherine letting him know of the additions to the monthly accounts from the morning's consults.
 
With Heero busy at the computer, Duo picked his way through the mail, setting those for the practice aside from the personal ones. There were a few Christmas cards, which he handed to Catherine and Hilde to open, a couple of letters for himself, several for the practice which he put to one side and a rather formal looking one for Heero.
 
Studying the envelope a little more, Duo's breath caught in his throat when he spotted the E.F.A. Logo in the top corner.
 
“Heero?”
 
“Yes?” Heero didn't look up, just continued in his typing.
 
“There's a letter here for you. I think it's from the E.F.A.”
 
Heero's fingers stilled. “The E.F.A.?” he questioned. “Are you sure?”
 
“Uh, yeah. It has that little logo thingy in the top corner of the envelope,” Duo chuckled and handed the letter over to Heero.
 
Computer forgotten, Heero took the envelope and studied it.
 
Catherine and Hilde were busy taping up the Christmas cards to the frame around the reception desk area so the clients could see them and weren't aware of the drama unfolding in the other section of the reception area.
 
“It doesn't matter how much you stare at it, you don't have x-ray vision and the only way you will know what it says is to open it,” Duo chuckled as he watched Heero try to burn a hole in the letter with his eyes.
 
“I know that,” Heero returned and flipped the letter over.
 
Duo watched, his heart in his mouth and hoping that whatever the letter was about, it would be good news.
 
Sliding the letter opener along, Heero slit the envelope open and extracted the letter from inside. He dropped the envelope to the desk and unfolded the letter with shaking fingers. Taking a deep breath, he began to read.
 
The nerves were getting to Duo. Heero's face remained totally impassive so he couldn't even garner a clue as to whether it was good news or bad. He grabbed the end of his braid and began to torment the tufted end.
 
As Heero's eyes read the typed words, his heart rate began to increase and his breath caught. Reaching the bottom of the letter, he reread it, not sure if his eyes were playing tricks on him or not. When the words remained the same, a grin tugged at his mouth and he turned to look at Duo.
 
“Well?” Duo demanded, his voice a little shaky.
 
“I made it, Duo,” Heero whispered.
 
“You did?”
 
“Here, read it yourself.” Heero handed over the letter, a shimmer in his eyes as he tried to wrap his mind around the news.
 
Taking the letter in shaking hands, Duo quickly read the words.
 
Dear Mr Yuy,
 
It is with much pleasure I write to inform you that the E.F.A. board of selectors has met and discussed the prospective competitors for the Australian Showjumping Team to represent Australia at the London Olympics.
 
Based on your performance at the qualifying shows over the past twenty-four months and the recommendations of the selectors that have witnessed several performances by prospective team members; we are pleased to advise that you and your horse, Shinigami, have been selected as members of the Showjumping Team to represent Australia at the London Olympics.
 
Further information in relation to transport, passports, accommodation, uniforms and such will be forwarded after the Christmas holiday break.
 
If, for whatever reason you are unable to make the commitment to represent your country, please let the board know at your earliest convenience.
 
Congratulations in qualifying for the team and a very merry Christmas to you.
 
Kind regards
 
H. Miller
Chief Selector
 
As the words sank in, the grin on Duo's face grew wider and wider. His heart began to race and he felt overwhelmed with happiness for his boyfriend. “YES!!” he yelled and then tossed the letter to the desktop and grabbed Heero in a bear hug, kissing the rider senseless.
 
Hearing the yell, both Hilde and Catherine looked up and over into the reception area, eyes worried. When they saw the two men locked at the lip and embracing fiercely, they glanced away and to each other.
 
“What happened?” Catherine asked.
 
Hilde shrugged. “Beats me, but we're sure gonna find out.” Taking the receptionist's hand, Hilde pulled Catherine behind her and into the reception area where the men were just surfacing for air.
 
“What happened?” Hilde demanded. “You win the lottery or something?” She could tell it had to be something positive, both men wore silly grins and if she wasn't mistaken both their eyes looked suspiciously moist.
 
“Heero made the team! He's going to the Olympics!” Duo whooped and then dove in for another kiss.
 
Hilde stood, stunned for a moment and then it registered. Heero had made the team. He was going to represent his country at the Olympic games. “That's fantastic!” Hilde cheered and overcome with the emotion of the moment she laughed and grabbed Catherine around the waist, twirling the other woman around and then kissing her soundly on the lips.
 
When Hilde finally let Catherine up for air, there was complete silence in the reception area. Both Heero and Duo were standing there, looking at the pair of them in complete shock before Duo's lips turned up into a feral grin. Catherine looked equally stunned, but hadn't pulled away so no-one was completely sure of what the receptionist was thinking right then. Heero was simply confused. He knew all about Hilde's feelings for Catherine, but he didn't know if the pair were together or not.
 
“Ah, crap,” Hilde muttered.
 
Guess that answered Heero's question for him.
 
Hilde went red with embarrassment and started to pull away only to be brought up short when Catherine's arms refused to let her go.
 
“Ummm... I'm sorry,” Hilde began to apologize.
 
Catherine cut her off. “I'm not,” she replied. “I was beginning to wonder when you would make your intentions known.”
 
“Eh?”
 
Catherine laughed and then swooped in and partook of her own kiss.
 
“Well, all I can say is it's about time,” Duo chuckled and then swept Heero into his own arms and kissed his lover breathless.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...