Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 70 ( Chapter 70 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 70
 
“Mails in, Heero,” called Catherine as she walked into the reception area of the Maxwell Veterinary Practice.
 
“Thanks.” Heero took the offered mail and began to sift through it, setting into piles for the practice, Duo and himself.
 
Catherine returned with a coffee and busied herself with the appointments book for the evening consults.
 
“I've logged everything from this morning onto the database, done up all the accounts and they're ready to be mailed,” Heero informed the receptionist.
 
“You have been busy,” Catherine replied with a smile. “You going to mail the accounts or would you like me to do it on my way home tonight?”
 
“I'll do them later. I've got to go into town to pick up a few items so I'll post them whilst I'm at it,” Heero stated and then paused.
 
Not noticing the distraction, Catherine continued. “Is Doctor Maxwell in surgery?”
 
“Pardon?”
 
“I asked if Duo was in surgery,” Catherine repeated and then noticed the distracted air. “You okay?”
 
“Huh? Yeah, I'm fine,” Heero replied and quickly put the envelope onto the pile to go up to the house. “Duo's out on a call but he should be back soon. There's only a castration booked for surgery and I think he was going to do that later this afternoon.”
 
“I see. I'll take over now then if you want to get going.”
 
“Thanks. Any problems just let me know. I'll be back at the house or in the stables.”
 
“Okay, Heero. Thanks for putting everything on the computer.”
 
“My pleasure.” Picking up the mail, Heero left and headed back to the house, his mind ticking over.
 
Catherine watched him go, a little puzzled and instinctively knowing something was up; but she was far to polite to ask what that might be. She figured Heero would let her know later, or Duo would. Turning back to the appointments book, Catherine began to dig out the client files for the evening consults.
 
* * *
 
Walking back to the house, Heero fiddled with the pile of mail, returning constantly to the envelope that had captured his interest. It had the E.F.A. logo on it and Heero knew it would be to do with the Olympics. He was excited and yet nervous about opening it, and he would much prefer to be back at the house to read it.
 
Entering the kitchen, Heero put the mail on the table and started to make himself a coffee. Smokey came sauntering out from the lounge room, stretching and yawning and then proceeded to entwine herself around Heero's legs. Heero reached down and picked the cat up, holding her in his arms and petting her.
 
“If you're after food, you're out of luck. It isn't dinner time yet, besides, you still have biscuits in your bowl,” Heero told the cat who wasn't listening but busy butting her head against Heero's chin.
 
The kettle had boiled and Heero fetched the milk from the 'fridge. Putting the cat down he went through to the laundry and poured some milk into her bowl, Smokey eager to lap it up.
 
With coffee in hand, Heero picked up the envelope and went into the lounge to open it and read the contents.
 
* * *
 
“Hey, Catherine,” Duo greeted as he walked back into the surgery and tossed the paperwork from his call out onto the reception desk.
 
“How are you, Duo?” Catherine replied and picked up the paperwork, scanning it over. “Another stitching job?”
 
“Yeah. One of farmer Griffiths' cows got caught in the fence, tore a nice chunk out of her upper leg.”
 
“She will be okay?”
 
“Yup. Cow will be just fine. Heero up at the house?”
 
“Yes. He's got the mail with him.”
 
“Okay, thanks. I'll go grab some lunch and then I'll be back to do that castration.”
 
“I'll prep the theater for you.”
 
“Thanks, Catherine.” Duo left the reception area, checked on the cat waiting to be 'fixed' and then set off for lunch and a little cuddle time with his lover.
 
* * *
 
“Heero?” Duo called as he entered the kitchen.
 
“In the lounge,” came the reply.
 
Entering the lounge room, Duo immediately noted the distracted look on Heero's face. He stopped before his lover, leaned in and stole a kiss. Pulling away, Duo frowned. Heero hadn't been all that enthusiastic in returning the kiss. “What's up?” Duo questioned as he sat next to his boyfriend.
 
Heero turned to face the vet. “Sorry, I'm a little distracted.”
 
“I noticed that,” Duo replied wryly. “What is it that has your attention?”
 
“I got a letter from the E.F.A. today, it's information on the games, travel requirements, documents I'll need and an estimate of expenses.”
 
“Ah. Then you should be happy, I know you've been waiting for this letter for a while.”
 
“I am...” Heero began.
 
“But?” Duo cocked his head.
 
“Here, read it.” Heero passed over the pages of the letter and sat back to let his lover read.
 
Scanning over the pages, Duo noted there was the usual information one would expect, such as a list of travel requirements, including passports - Heero's and Shini's, Medical certificates, vet certificates, jumping performance card, the list went on. It was when Duo got to the list of estimated costs that his eyes widened and he let go a soft whistle.
 
“Well, shit. That's quite a bit of cash, Heero.”
 
“I know,” Heero replied. “The accommodation is free for both horse and rider, but the cost of the travel is going to be a killer.”
 
“You can say that again.” Duo lost himself in thought for a moment. “I guess you could always call a few of the airline freight companies and ask for a quote, see if you can get it cheaper.”
 
“I thought about that and I have made a few inquiries.”
 
“And?” Duo prompted.
 
“They're all much dearer. The Olympic committee has managed to cut a deal with the airline here as they have quite a few horses traveling with the dressage and event teams also going. They're doing a cut rate for group transport.”
 
“I see.” Duo gave a sigh and ran a hand though his bangs. “Still, it leaves...” Duo did a few quick mental calculations. “No need to ask if we're bringing Shini home afterwards,” he said with a raised eyebrow.
 
“I'm not going if I can't bring him home again,” Heero stated flatly.
 
Duo added the quarantine costs to his mental figure. “If my estimation is correct, we're looking at about fifty grand all up then?”
 
“Pretty much,” Heero replied. “There's the air fare for Shini, you and me, then the cost of the gear and feed. Also the quarantine costs both in the UK and when we get back home.”
 
Duo didn't miss the part about them both going and he warmed at the suggestion before his practical side kicked in. “If I don't go that should save a couple of thousand,” he said softly.
 
Heero's head spun around. “No, no way, Duo. You're coming with me and that's final. I'll need all the help I can get, not just with Shini and the moral support; but I couldn't be away from you for that long.” Heero's tone softened with those last words. “I love you too much to be separated from you for any longer than a day and seeing how I'll need to be in England at least six weeks before the games start, it would kill me if I couldn't have you with me. No, if you don't go too then I'm not going.”
 
Duo felt the tears welling in his eyes with the sincerity and love he felt in those words and hastily blinked them away. “Then I guess we should look at ways to get the money.”
 
“Hai. I have about eight thousand in my savings account.”
 
“I can always take out a loan against the practice,” Duo mused out loud.
 
“No. I'll not have you mortgaging the practice and putting yourself into debt, Duo.”
 
“Okay.” Duo gave a sly smile. “I'll keep the loan idea as a last resort then.”
 
Heero had to be satisfied with that.
 
“We could always do some fundraising, or see if we can get you sponsorship,” Duo suggested.
 
“That sounds like a better idea,'” Heero agreed.
 
“Good. You see what ideas you can come up with then in that regard and I'll see what I can figure out too. Now, I'm gonna grab some lunch and then go separate this cat from his assets.”
 
Heero chuckled and wrapped his lover in his strong arms. “God I love you, Duo.”
 
“Right back at'cha, Heero.”
 
* * *
 
Whilst Duo was back at the surgery, Heero took Shini out for a long bush ride and used the time to come up with ways to raise the forty odd thousand he would still need to get to the Games and back home.
 
In the surgery, Catherine couldn't help herself and had to ask Duo if he knew what was distracting Heero so much. Duo had filled the receptionist in and she'd been shocked at the cost involved.
 
“Surely the government will pay for the competitors' expenses, they are representing their country after all,” she stated.
 
“You would think so, but I'm afraid it doesn't happen. They do contribute to the human athletes' costs as do the sponsors of those athletes. Likewise, the airline either donates the flights or cuts the costs dramatically. Unfortunately, with horses, it's a little more expensive.”
 
“Exactly how much is the flight?” Catherine asked as she passed over a threaded needle.
 
“The flight for Shini is roughly thirty thousand return. For Heero and me, it's about five thousand. Then there's the feed and gear, another couple of grand. The remainder is the cost of quarantine in both the UK and when we get back here to Aussie. Scissors, please.”
 
Catherine handed over the scissors. “Any ideas as to what you can do to fundraise?”
 
“Not sure yet. Heero's got his mind working on it, I'm going to see what I can come up with too. There, all finished.”
 
“If you don't mind, I'll mention it to Trowa and Quatre, they might be able to help with ideas or something.”
 
“That would be great. I'll pop Tigger here on the floor to recover.” Duo picked up the still sleeping cat and set him on a warm blanket on the floor.
 
Catherine busied herself tidying up the theater, her mind working on how to raise the funds Heero would need to compete.
 
* * *
 
Once Trowa and Quatre knew what was going on, they were also willing to help out and immediately set to coming up with ideas. Calling Duo's practice, they set up a meeting with the vet and Heero to discuss possible ways to raise those funds, figuring that six heads, Catherine and Hilde were also eager to help, were better than two or four.
 
The following evening saw the six all ensconced in Duo's kitchen after evening consults, Quatre with a notepad and pencil, Catherine and Hilde supplying the supper food and Duo providing the liquid refreshments.
 
Trowa suggested the usual collection box idea. Having one on the reception counter with all proceeds going to the 'Olympic Gold' fund as they'd nicknamed the cause.
 
Hilde and Catherine suggested running raffles, asking the businesses of Salsbury to donate items they could use as prizes. Quatre thought about holding a couple of quiz nights or something like it as they were always good money spinners.
 
Duo suggested that maybe Heero could hold a couple of clinics, spend a couple of days teaching riders and their horses the finer points of show jumping along with some lectures.
 
Heero told Duo exactly where he could shove that idea. He hadn't forgotten the last time he'd had to give a lecture - at the local pony club.
 
Quatre, being the diplomatic one, advised they should open up a bank account to deposit all funds raised into. Heero knew they would need to keep records of donations and given that they were fundraising, they would need to register the account with the government body that controlled all charities and fundraising groups. If they didn't, then the government would hit them for tax and that was kind of ironic, not to mention idiotic too.
 
With Heero's qualifications as an accountant, and Quatre's standing as an inspector with the R.S.P.C.A. The pair of them had more than enough knowledge on the legal side of things pertaining to fundraising.
 
To kick start the account, both Trowa and Duo offered a sum of money as sponsorship; Heero was about to decline the generous offers when both men pointed out many reasons for Heero to accept. In the end it was easier to offer his thanks than get into an argument with them, especially as he knew he most likely wouldn't win.
 
With many ideas on paper and needing everything to be official for the legal side of things, Catherine appointed Quatre as the chairperson of the group, Heero the treasurer/accountant and herself as the secretary. Duo, Trowa and Hilde were all coerced into being the fundraising committee.
 
With all that side sorted out, the group bade their farewells, Catherine and Quatre promising they would head into Salsbury as soon as they could to fill out and file the necessary paperwork with the authorities. They would also open a bank account with the generous donations from Trowa and Duo whilst in the town.
 
With nothing more to do for the moment, everyone went their separate ways to catch up on some sleep.
 
* * *
 
Treize was fortunate enough that he didn't need to fundraise, he had quite a bit tucked away in the bank, not just from his winnings and livelihood, but from stud fees for Goose who had been standing at Relena's stud since his return from the successful Beijing Olympics and from his inheritance when his parents had passed away years ago.
 
He would have offered Heero a loan, knowing the young man wasn't about to have that sort of money on hand, but given Heero's pride, he kept his mouth shut. He'd tossed ideas around as to how he could assist Heero financially, but scrapped them when Heero had told him of their plans to raise the money.
 
He had to admire the man, he sure was determined. Treize would bide his time and see how things went. He could always offer assistance later should the younger rider need it. With his star pupil having made it to the Olympic team after all his hard work and efforts, Treize was not about to sit back and see that dream shattered again - especially when it came down to a simple case of funding; or rather, lack of.
 
Both Treize and Zechs offered to help out with the fundraising in any way they could, Heero accepting their generous offers and letting Catherine know.
 
Besides all the fundraising, there was also a case of getting all the documentation into order too. Heero would need a passport, Duo too and also Shinigami. Then there were the other bits of paperwork regarding the horse. He needed to copy his jumping performance card and send it in to the E.F.A. along with the list of his qualifying shows. Vaccination records had to be produced and copied along with ownership papers.
 
Heero found most of his days were full, not just with his usual work at Treize's and keeping Shini fit, but there was Wing to work with and then all the extra bits pertaining to taking a horse out of the country.
 
Catherine and Quatre worked out a list of things they could do to raise the money and started to book dates for them. A couple of quiz nights were organized, a major raffle, chocolate drive and a car boot sale. Trowa happened to know someone who was involved in the printing business and managed to get the raffle books all printed for free; he also scored flyers for the quiz nights and several posters advertising the various fundraising events which they could stick up around the town prior to each event being held.
 
Catherine and Hilde spent a full day walking the streets of Salsbury and visiting every store in an effort to secure donations for the raffle and the quiz nights.
 
The store owners never stood a chance.
 
Once Catherine introduced herself, she went into a spiel about Heero and Shinigami, their Olympic selection, Heero's bad luck at his previous attempt to qualify and the reason they were asking for donations. Hilde stood back and let her girlfriend go for it. Catherine had perfected a look on her face that when combined with her heartfelt plea for donations, had the store owners practically falling over themselves to donate.
 
The local paper also got wind of Heero's selection and contacted him to run a story on him. Heero had been reluctant at first, he hated anything that delved into his private life; but when Duo pointed out the advantages the story could have in boosting his fundraising, Heero had agreed.
 
The reporter came out along with a photographer and chatted to Heero for a little while. They took some shots of Heero riding Shinigami and also some of Zero. The reporter was a friendly woman who understood Heero's reluctance to talk about himself and so she didn't pry too much. Asking simple questions such as where Heero had grown up, his ambitions when young and a basic outline of how he'd risen to where he was now were about the limit.
 
Heero was grateful for the understanding and sympathetic reporter, he usually dealt with obnoxious, pushy types and it was a refreshing change to have one that didn't push too much. The woman had outlined what she wanted to print in the story, just a general look at Heero's background with the focus more on what he was doing now. After all, it was the present and future they were interested in.
 
The article appeared in the local rag a couple of weeks later. There was a lovely shot of Heero clearing a jump on Shinigami with a smaller shot of Zero with Heero in the corner. The reporter was true to her word, the article only briefly touching on Heero's background and dealing more on his success with Zero and continuing on with Shinigami. Heero had blushed madly when he'd first seen the article. The headline was what got him.
 
'Local Heero To Compete At Olympics' was set above the article in bold, black letters.
 
Duo had had a field day once he'd seen it.
 
Heero had threatened to leave Duo at home and go to London alone if he didn't quit with the teasing.
 
The article did, however, help in their fundraising.
 
The tin in the surgery filled up rapidly with change. Duo emptied it out pretty much every couple of days and was touched by the generosity of his clients. Some clients had donated money across the counter, all eager to support a local.
 
In Salsbury's history there had never been a person selected to represent their country at an Olympic games. The people took Heero and Shini into their hearts and opened their wallets.
 
The quiz nights were well supported and everyone who attended had a great time. The raffle did its job and added a tidy sum to the coffers. The local Pony Club took over the organizing and running of the car boot sale and it also went well. Wanting to raise further funds to help Heero, the pony club put forward a proposition to the rider.
 
The idea was to have a sort of exhibition round of jumping from Heero and Shinigami. The club would organize it, holding it on the same day as one of their shows. They would build a course for Heero and Shini to jump, giving the local people and any other interested parties the opportunity to see Shinigami and Heero in action before they went to England. They would charge a small fee to watch with all proceeds going to Heero's fundraising effort.
 
Heero had agreed and happened to mention it to Treize when at work one day. Treize had thought it a good idea and on the spur of the moment, offered to bring Romeo along too and make a sort of competition out of it - just the two of them.
 
Seeing how having two Olympic riders could boost the bank account further, Heero had promised to speak with the club secretary and let him know.
 
The secretary had agreed enthusiastically and immediately set about getting advertising in progress. Treize had been amused and pleased; it was one way he could possibly contribute to Heero's financial situation without it being obvious.
 
The event was set and the show advertised. The jumping exhibition-come-competition would take place in the early afternoon, just before the scheduled, official jumping competitions would start.
 
Heero and Treize arrived at the show within minutes of each other, both completely floored by the number of people in attendance.
 
“I thought you said this would be a small thing?” Treize questioned in an amused tone when he saw the large crowd.
 
“I thought it would be,” Heero replied, equally stunned and amused at the turn out.
 
“Didn't realize you guys were so popular?” Duo teased as he surveyed the vast number of people present.
 
Heero snorted. “I just hope Shini behaves and I don't fall off!”
 
“You won't,” Duo assured his lover. “You'll both go out there and give them all a show worth remembering.”
 
“I'm glad someone has confidence,” Heero muttered under his breath.
 
Deciding that now was probably a good time to intervene, Treize gave a cough and then spoke. “Come on, Heero. We'd better go walk this course they have set up for us and then get the nags warmed up.”
 
Nodding, Heero followed his boss, Duo opting to remain behind with Shinigami and get the gray saddled up.
 
* * *
 
The course wasn't a very difficult one at all, well, not compared to what Heero and Treize were used to jumping. It had the height and spread, but it wasn't tight, allowing plenty of room between fences for horse and rider to settle again.
 
Both riders appreciated that. Whilst this wasn't a competition but more of an exhibition, neither rider wanted to be asking too much of their horse, but they did want to show enough of their respective talents so that the onlookers would know why they'd made the team.
 
Shinigami was feeling fresh and eager, snatching at the reins and tossing in a few dancing steps from time to time. Heero sat the stallion with ease, keeping a light contact with the gray's mouth but not overly reprimanding his horse either. He knew Shini would be excited and he figured it wouldn't hurt for the horse to show off a little. He did however, keep a check that Shini didn't get too exuberant.
 
With both riders ready, the commentator enthusiastically announced them to the waiting crowd and proceeded to give a short spiel about each rider and their horse - something similar to what the local paper had done in its article on Heero.
 
Whilst the commentator was droning on, Heero and Treize rode into the ring and proceeded to trot around, giving the crowd a good look at their horses and themselves. Heero was feeling self conscious, Treize was relaxed and enjoying the attention.
 
Once the 'formalities' were out of the way, the two riders met in the center of the ring with the judge who tossed a coin to see which rider would go first in the exhibition round.
 
Treize called heads, and the coin came up tails which gave Heero the chance to choose. Treize wasn't surprised when Heero elected to ride second, leaving Treize to go first and thereby test the 'waters'.
 
“You'll keep,” Treize muttered as he collected his reins and prepared to leave the collecting ring where they'd both ridden to after the coin toss.
 
“Good luck,” Heero replied with a smirk.
 
Romeo and Treize gave an excellent performance, the big bay sailing over everything with his ears pricked. Knowing there wasn't any pressure of competition on them, Treize took his time, giving the stallion lots of room to maneuver his long legs and big frame; it also gave the spectators a better and longer view of the pair.
 
Having finished his part of the `display', Treize acknowledged the crowd and with a final wave and pat to Romeo's neck, he exited the ring, leaving the way clear for Heero and Shinigami to strut their stuff.
 
“Good round,” called Heero as he prepared to enter the arena.
 
“Thanks,” Treize replied. “It's nice and easy with tons of room so take your time out there, give them all a show and enjoy yourself,” Treize said with a warm smile.
 
“I will.” Heero turned as he felt a weight rest on his thigh and stared into amused and loving indigo.
 
“Go show them all why you and Shini are so special,” Duo said quietly.
 
Heero's eyes softened and filled with love. “We will, Duo. Love you.”
 
“Love you too.”
 
Heero rode into the ring and was warmly greeted with cheers and applause. He tipped his helmet to the crowd, smiled and gave a wave. Collecting up his reins, he focused his mind back to the job at hand. Shini snorted, tossed his head and broke into a slow canter.
 
They cantered around the arena once, Heero giving the crowd the chance to see his horse before they turned for the start flags and began their exhibition.
 
It was as if Shinigami could sense the reason for their being here and he rose to the occasion, jumping beautifully for Heero. He listened intently, approached each jump eagerly and cleared them all effortlessly. Hard muscle rippled beneath satiny skin and the gray body cruised around the course. Heero was perfectly tuned to his stallion, sitting still in his saddle and only needing the lightest of aids and shift of body weight to guide him through the course of jumps.
 
They approached the final fence; a wall standing five foot and you could have heard a pin drop. The silence was deafening as all attention focused on the game little gray and his equally determined rider.
 
Shini's hooves bit deep into the turf, hind quarters straining as he pushed his front feet from the ground and soared into the air. Hind legs followed, body arcing and legs tucked neatly underneath as they sailed over the wall.
 
Forelegs stretched out as the ground rose to meet them, digging into the sand and soil as they took the brunt of the weight. The hind legs followed and pushed the body away from the jump, picking up the momentum and cantering cleanly away.
 
The crowd went wild, clapping and cheering as the pair passed through the finish with a clear round.
 
Steadying his horse and settling the stallion into a slow canter once more, Heero did a lap of honor around the ring, waving to the crowd whilst Shini tossed his head and put in a couple of small, light hearted bucks.
 
Exiting the ring, Treize and Duo were waiting for him, smiles on their faces. “Great round, Heero,” Duo smiled and presented Shini with a much loved carrot treat.
 
“Excellent demonstration,” Treize added. “I'm sure everyone will be happy with that exhibition.”
 
“I hope so,” Heero muttered. He didn't really like being in the spotlight, well, not in this type of situation, but secretly he had to admit he'd enjoyed it.
 
The organizers approached and asked the pair if they would be willing to jump one more round for the crowd and then do a lap of honor; both men agreed and went out once again, much to the delight of the spectators.
 
The second rounds were completed with no mishaps and the crowd wouldn't let them leave until they'd been for two laps of honor. Exiting the arena and finally making their way back to their floats, the pair were once again surrounded by well wishers and fans. Most offered good luck wishes and some asked for autographs. Heero said he felt like a fraud signing his name.
 
Eventually the crowd dissipated and the riders were left in peace. Heero thanked Treize for joining him and bade his boss farewell. By the time he'd finished and gotten back to the float, Duo had Shinigami unsaddled, brushed down and ready to load up. All the gear had been tamed and settled back into the car so it was simply a case of loading Shini up and driving home.
 
Heero drove, Duo content to snuggle as close as he could to his lover with the restriction of the seatbelt. The radio played softly in the background and both men were content.
 
“Enjoy yourself?” Duo asked as he stroked a finger along Heero's thigh.
 
“Hai, I did. I didn't think I would, but I did.” Heero was having a little trouble concentrating as that teasing finger stroked closer to his groin.
 
“Have I told you how sexy you look in those jodhpurs?” Duo's fingers went higher.
 
“Many times,” Heero moaned.
 
“Good.” Duo's finger brushed across the front of those jodhpurs rubbing lightly over the hardness beneath.
 
“God, Duo. You keep that up and I'm likely to drive off the road and into a ditch,” Heero groaned, desperately dragging his mind back to focusing on his driving.
 
“Take me to bed when we get back and make love to me?”
 
“Huh?”
 
Duo chuckled lightly. “Something wrong with your hearing?”
 
“Uh, no. I don't think so.” Heero knew what Duo had said, it was the part about Duo bottoming he wasn't quite sure he'd heard right. Duo preferred to top as a rule.
 
“Then what's the problem?” Duo's voice had taken on a husky tone.
 
Heero swallowed. “Did I hear you correctly? You want me to take you to bed and make love to you? As in I top and you bottom?”
 
“I think I said something like that. If you don't want…”
 
“No, no! Gods, Duo. I'd love to make love to you, I was just a little stunned. You usually like to take me.”
 
Duo's voice lowered to a purr. “I know and believe me when I say I still prefer to top, but I just need to feel you inside me.”
 
Heero managed to read between the lines and smiled warmly. Duo was feeling a little insecure, all the attention being lavished on himself with this fundraising and such was bound to make Duo feel vulnerable. If things were the other way around, Heero knew he'd be seeking out some reassurance from Duo that he was still the only one in his lover's life.
 
“Once we're home and the horses are sorted out I'd love to take you to bed and show you exactly how much I love you, Duo.”
 
“Now that's what I want to hear.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...