Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 71 ( Chapter 71 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 71
 
Once they returned home, Duo unpacked the car and put all the gear away in its respective places in the tack shed. Heero unloaded Shini and put the stallion back out in the paddock as it was too early to bring the horses in and feed at that time. With the float cleaned out and unhitched, the pair made their way back to the house.
 
Once inside the door, Duo made it clear he wanted Heero, and wanted him now. Kicking the door shut with his foot, Duo grasped his love around the waist and drew him into his arms where he proceeded to kiss him thoroughly.
 
“I've wanted to do that all afternoon,” Duo murmured as he nibbled on Heero's bottom lip.
 
“I wouldn't have objected,” came Heero's husky reply.
 
Duo chuckled. “No, I didn't think you would and neither would I, but there's quite a few other people out there - namely the public - that would have had something to say about it. Not to mention we would probably get arrested.”
 
“Their loss,” snickered Heero and then returned the kiss with a passionate one of his own.
 
“God I want you,” Duo moaned when he was let up for air and began to rub himself enticingly against Heero's thigh.
 
Adding his own moans to Duo's, Heero shoved his thigh between Duo's spreading legs and pushed back.
 
“Bedroom,” Duo groaned and with one last thrust, released his lover and sauntered off down the hallway, putting extra sway into his hips as he walked.
 
“Tease,” muttered Heero as he watched the blatant display. He blinked as Duo disappeared from sight, and wondering what in the hell he was still doing standing there, took off after his boyfriend.
 
Entering the bedroom, Heero was greeted by the lovely sight of Duo stripping off his shirt. He licked his lips, leaned on the door jamb and savored the sight.
 
Knowing he was being watched, Duo added a slightly more sensuous feel to his impromptu striptease. With his shirt on the floor, he reached for the button on his jeans and teased it open. Lowering his eyes to peer out with a smoky look from under his bangs, Duo toyed with the zipper for a moment and then lowered it slowly.
 
A soft groan escaped Heero and he lowered a hand to his own groin to palm the aching hardness.
 
With button and zipper undone, Duo slipped his thumbs under the waistband and slowly worked the jeans from his hips. The denim slid over the taut ass and along creamy thighs, Duo pushing the jeans down until they pooled at his ankles where he stepped out of them and kicked them to the side. Clad only in his boxers, he stretched upwards, showing off his finely honed body.
 
“Gorgeous,” Heero murmured.
 
Duo slipped a finger in his mouth and then trailed the fingertip down his chest and over his abdomen, pausing at the hem of the boxers where the trail of chestnut hair disappeared. His boxers were low on his hips, tented at the front and in danger of sliding right off. Another sultry look was given and then Duo turned around, sliding the boxers over his hips, legs and ankles and kicking them away.
 
It might not have given Heero the sight he wanted, but the other view he was gifted wasn't bad either. His eyes roamed over the tight buttocks whilst his mind offered up pictures of what he knew to be hiding between those twin globes.
 
His cock stiffened further.
 
Duo reached for the tie to his hair and let it free, running his fingers through the tresses and releasing the strands from their braid. The glistening waterfall fell in waves around him, hiding his nudity and giving him the appearance of a fey creature.
 
“Oh, god,” Heero groaned and stepped a little closer to the bed.
 
Duo turned around slowly, allowing his lover time to scan over his entire form. And Heero looked. From the top of that chestnut head, over the slightly elfin features and along the toned chest where pink nipples stood out in contrast to the milky skin. A trim waist and noticeable six pack followed and then there was that trail of hair - the one that descended down to provide a perfect backdrop to Duo's excitement. Duo's erection jutted out firmly from his groin, foreskin pulled back to expose the glistening head, a bead of pre-come gracing the tiny slit. Below, Duo's balls hung, tight in their sac and swollen with seed.
 
In two seconds flat, Heero was across the short distance that separated them, had his lover wrapped in his arms and was kissing him senseless.
 
“You're so beautiful,” Heero murmured, his voice thick with need.
 
“And you're overdressed,” chuckled Duo.
 
“Now that is something that can be easily remedied.” Heero released Duo from his embrace, took a step back and reached for the buttons of his shirt. In record time, Heero had the buttons undone and the shirt off. He was quick to undo his jodhpurs, pushing the clingy material over his hips and down his legs. The material clung to him, not wanting to leave but Heero was determined to get them off. Tugging at the cuff, he pulled one part down over his foot, stood on it with his other foot and then raised his leg, managing to pull said leg free. He repeated the performance with the other leg of the jodhpurs and then shucked his briefs.
 
Now both gloriously nude, they came together again, arms entwining, chests meeting and heat from their groins flaring as their cocks met and wept together. Duo's hands roamed over Heero's back, stroking, touching and driving his lover wild with those gentle caresses.
 
Heero worked his hands underneath that chestnut curtain and traced his own fingers along Duo's spine until he reached the swell of the vet's buttocks. He teased in lazy circles around Duo's tailbone and then stretched a little further to run his finger enticingly along the cleft.
 
“Ahhh,” moaned Duo as he closed his eyes and buried his face in Heero's neck. “Want you.”
 
“I'm yours,” came the husky reply.
 
Knowing he wasn't going to last for too much longer if Heero kept this up, Duo began to move to the side and waiting bed. Kissing Heero again and then releasing him, Duo turned and bent to remove the stuffed animals.
 
Heero couldn't help himself. With Duo bent slightly over, those cheeks opened a little and Heero shifted to come up behind the vet and run his fingers along the crevice.
 
Duo shivered and moaned, spreading his legs a little wider as he clutched the stuffed dog in one hand. His eyes half closed and hips pushed back.
 
Chuckling to himself at the wanton display, Heero let his fingers roam all along Duo's cleft, stroking and stimulating the nerves, pausing to circle the tiny hole and then skipping further downwards to ghost over Duo's sensitive perineum.
 
“Ah, fuck,” Duo groaned. “Keep that up and I'll be spilling myself all over the bed any minute.”
 
Removing his hand, Heero bent over his lover's back, pressing his chest to Duo's spine and reaching around and underneath to take a firm hold of Duo's penis. He gave a couple of tugs, thrusting his hips at the same time.
 
“Crap,” Duo moaned, somehow managing to twist himself from underneath Heero and the tormenting touches.
 
Snickering, Heero leaned over, stole a kiss and then hefted the remaining stuffed animals from the bed. Grabbing the comforter, he tossed that back too, then grabbing Duo, he picked the vet up and deposited him on the sheets.
 
Duo laughed and scooted back against the headboard as Heero lowered himself to all fours and began to stalk Duo up the mattress. Climbing over the vet's legs, pushing his arms out of the way, Heero came face to face with his soul mate, paused and then lowered his lips.
 
The kiss was deep, sensual and had Duo's toes curling. When they parted, Heero rested his forehead against Duo's and ran his tongue across the vet's lower lip.
 
“Love you so much,” Heero whispered.
 
“Love you too, Heero,” Duo returned and gave his lover a quick peck. “Make love to me?”
 
Blue eyes warmed and strong arms gently eased the vet to a lying position. Grabbing the lube, Heero nudged Duo's legs apart. Coating a finger with the slippery gel, Heero tossed the tube to the side and then began his teasing touches all over again.
 
By the time Heero had three fingers inside Duo's passage, the vet was a moaning, writhing mess of hormones, lust and need.
 
When Heero removed those fingers, Duo growled softly, not liking the empty feeling it left him with. Heero smiled smugly at the long haired man and reached for the tube again. Coating his length and aware of the violet eyes watching his every move, Heero took a little longer to coat himself, giving the vet a little of his own teasing back.
 
“Need you,” Duo whimpered as he spread his legs further.
 
Tossing the tube aside, Heero settled between his lover's thighs, rested the tip of his cock against that glistening opening and leaned forward to kiss those pouting lips. As their lips were about to meet, Heero murmured softly; “You have me, Duo. Body, mind, heart and soul. Always.” Lips met in a sensual kiss as Heero's hips pressed forward, the tip of his erection pushing through the barrier of tight muscle and entering paradise.
 
Their lips remained locked as Heero sank into his lover's tight heat, the kiss serving to both distract from the invasion and drive them to near madness.
 
Once fully seated, Heero paused, knowing his lover would need time to adjust, more time than Heero needed as Duo didn't bottom as a rule. Knowing Duo needed him spoke volumes to Heero, told him just how insecure his lover must be with the attention Heero was getting and Heero intended to fully reassure Duo that the vet was the only one for him, he planned on being here until they were both old and gray and didn't have to worry about teeth when they sucked each other off.
 
That thought had Heero chuckling. A poke to the ribs had him scowling a second later and he focused on his lover who was looking at him quizzically.
 
“Just thinking,” Heero offered.
 
“About what? Obviously it was something amusing. Care to share?”
 
With another chuckle, Heero explained where his thoughts had gone and soon Duo was snickering away with him. It relaxed the pair of them but not enough to cool their ardor.
 
Feeling the muscles around him soften, Heero began to move. He gently pulled out, then pushed back in, letting the lube do its work, making his thrusting that bit easier as the gel spread further. With his body adjusting more to the invasion, Duo closed his eyes and let himself savor the feeling of his lover inside, that thick length caressing the inner walls, stimulating nerves as it pressed ever deeper into his body.
 
It wasn't long before Heero was thrusting with abandon, hips pumping, cock sliding in and out and a willing vet beneath rising to meet each of his thrusts with pushes of his own. Sinking deeper inside that hot, tight sheath, Heero angled his hips and managed to find Duo's prostate. The vet let go a strangled sob as pleasure rolled through him.
 
The heat of passion began to build, both men climbing steadily towards the ultimate end. Heero wrapped Duo securely in his arms, buried his head against the vet's shoulder and thrust even harder inside the willing body.
 
Duo in turn dug his fingertips into Heero's back and gave himself a little added leverage to meet his lover's thrusts with his own. From time to time Heero hit his prostate and sent Duo spiraling into euphoria, pleasure stealing over him and bathing him in ultimate bliss.
 
Feeling his end rapidly approaching, Heero worked a hand between their sweaty, heaving bodies and located Duo's cock. Curling his fingers around the shaft, he made a tunnel of his hand for Duo to thrust into.
 
Duo's head tossed from side to side, the stimulation to his cock adding to the torment of his body. Inside his passage, Heero's cock pulsed, teasing his sheath and setting his nerves on fire. A few more connections with his prostate and Duo was falling over the edge into oblivion. A keening wail tore from his throat as his seed began to rise and spurt from the tiny slit to coat both bellies and Heero's hand.
 
With Duo's fall into orgasm, the tight sheath he was enclosed in became even tighter. Strong, muscular contractions passed in waves along his length, caressing the head and shaft, coaxing his own end from him.
 
Grunting softly, Heero pounded into Duo's passage, his climax meeting him head on and shattering his psyche with the intensity of it. Wave after wave of pure pleasure tore through him, pulling him under and drowning him. Body tense, Heero rode every spasm, feeling his essence leave to be swallowed by Duo's greedy body.
 
When the pleasure finally began to recede, Heero slumped against his equally sated lover, holding him close and feathering kisses along the slender neck.
 
Enjoying the close contact, Duo let himself drift, mind still locked in that pleasurable haze that could only come with deep, satisfying sex.
 
As the heat of their passion began to pass, it was replaced with the cooling sweat on their skin and Duo shivered.
 
“Cold?” Heero asked as he rolled off his lover to the side and pulled Duo with him, keeping his arms firmly locked around the vet.
 
“A little,” Duo replied sleepily. “I think it's all the sweat and other fluids,” he chuckled.
 
“A shower would probably be best,” Heero hummed, still too comfortable to really want to move much.
 
“Yeah. In a minute though.” Duo snuggled closer.
 
“Yeah. In a minute,” Heero repeated the words back, his voice soft.
 
Minutes later, the pair were sound asleep.
 
* * *
 
“Give him one tablet three times a day, Mrs. Hesketh. There's enough tablets for a full, seven day course,” Duo said as he handed over the small packet with the instructions written neatly on the front. “He should be fine after two to three days, but continue with the tablets until they're all gone. If you're worried at all, or if he takes a turn for the worst, ring me straight away.”
 
“Thank you, doctor,” Mrs. Hesketh replied and popped the packet into her bag.
 
“Catherine will see to you now. Have a good day.” Duo left the woman and her dog in the waiting room and dropped the file to the reception desk. He was about to pick up the next client file when Catherine stopped him.
 
“Doctor Maxwell? I have a call for you.”
 
“Oh. Is it important? Can you take a message and I'll call them back, I'm really rather busy right now.” Duo wasn't being rude, he did have a lot of clients to get through and unless it was very important, he really couldn't spare the time. Catherine was usually pretty good about the calls, fielding most of them and only calling Duo to the phone if it was an emergency.
 
“It's important, I think you should take the call.”
 
Duo's brow furrowed and he felt his heart lurch for a second. It could be something was wrong with Heero; he'd had an accident or something. But then Duo dismissed that thought. If Heero was in trouble, then it would be Duo's cell that would be called, not the practice.
 
“Okay, put it through to the consult room. I'll take it in there.” Duo left and went back into the small room, picking up the receiver.
 
Catherine transferred the call.
 
“Doctor Maxwell speaking.”
 
“Doctor Maxwell. How are you? It's Lucrezia Noin here.”
 
Duo's face lit up, then he frowned. “Miss Noin? I'm fine, thank you, how are you? And to what do I owe the pleasure?” Duo's mind was racing a mile a minute. Noin had been the team coach for the Nations Cup, and Duo didn't have a clue as to why the woman would be calling him.
 
“I'm well, Doctor Maxwell. I guess you're curious as to why I'm calling?”
 
“The thought had crossed my mind,” chuckled Duo.
 
“Look, I won't beat about the bush here. I've been appointed team coach and manager for the London Olympic showjumping team.”
 
“Congratulations! That's great news, Miss Noin. I'm sure Heero will be delighted when he learns the news.”
 
“Thank you. I'm quite stunned myself,” Noin replied. “But actually, that wasn't why I was calling.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Doctor Maxwell, I have a proposition for you.”
 
Duo swallowed, curious as to what the woman could possibly want from him. “I'm listening.”
 
“As you know, we prefer to send our own vet with the team to the Games. The vet that we usually have attend the team has retired and we are in need of another vet to take his place.”
 
Duo's heart rate sped up.
 
“Doctor Maxwell, I'm calling to ask if you would be the new vet for the showjumping team?”
 
A stunned look appeared on Duo's face and for a moment he was lost for words.
 
“Doctor Maxwell? Duo? Are you still there?”
 
“Ah, yes.” Duo squeaked out and then swallowed.
 
“I realize this must be a bit of a shock to you, but rest assured, the offer is genuine. Your travel costs will be covered by the E.F.A. and you will also be paid for your time away with the team. Should your services be required, you will also be paid in full for whatever treatment is necessary.”
 
He gave a cough, cleared his throat and then finding his voice, managed to speak in a reasonably coherent tone. “Miss Noin, I'd be delighted to take the position,” he managed to get out.
 
“That's wonderful. Look, I'll send through all the official paperwork, what's required, payment, regulations and all that other legal stuff. Take a good look through it all and if you're still happy to be the team vet, fill out the necessary forms, sign them and send them back to me. Once that's confirmed, I'll be in touch closer to the date of departure with final information. If you should find that after reading through all the legal jargon, you're no longer interested, then that's fine too. No one will think any less of you for turning the position down - it's quite a responsibility.”
 
“Thank you. I'm sure I'll still be happy to take the position. I look forward to receiving the information then.”
 
“That's great, Doctor Maxwell. I can't tell you how pleased and happy I am to have you on board. Once you receive the paperwork, should you have any questions, please, call me and I'll do my best to assist you. I'll include my cell and home numbers in the paperwork.”
 
“That would be lovely. Again, thanks and I'll keep an eye out for the paperwork.”
 
“It's my pleasure, Duo. Take care and I'll be in touch. Good bye.”
 
“Bye.” Duo hung up, the information still running rampant through his head and he was having a really hard time trying to come to grips with it all. Still in a daze, Duo walked back out to the reception area and gave Catherine an absent smile.
 
The receptionist looked curiously at her boss. “You okay, Duo?”
 
“Catherine? Could you just pinch me, please?”
 
“Eh?”
 
“Could you pinch me, please?”
 
Shrugging her shoulders, Catherine did as requested, pinching Duo on the arm.
 
“Ouch!” yelped Duo and rubbed his arm. “Guess I am awake then and it wasn't a dream.”
 
“Dream? Duo, I'm a little worried here. What's going on?”
 
“Catherine, that call, it was from a Miss Noin.”
 
“Miss Noin? Yes, I know that much, she did give me her name when I answered the call. Who is she?”
 
“Miss Noin is the coach and manager of the London Olympic showjumping team.”
 
“And...” Catherine prompted. Judging by the faraway look on her boss' face, it seemed like he'd won the lottery.
 
“Catherine, she asked me to be the team vet, to travel with and be responsible for the veterinary care of the showjumping team in London for the Games.”
 
“I hope you said yes,” Catherine replied, her eyes shining. When no immediate answer was forthcoming, she frowned. “You had better have said yes,” she growled, “or I'll be kicking your backside from here to Salsbury.”
 
Duo let his head fall back and he let go a deep laugh, the thought of Catherine kicking his ass from here to Salsbury just hilarious. Getting his mirth under control, he smiled at the receptionist. “Of course I said yes!”
 
“Good. That's great news, Duo. I know Heero and all the others will be absolutely thrilled when they hear the news; I know I am and it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. You deserve this, Duo. You're an excellent vet, the best, and you'll do a wonderful job looking after them all.” Catherine couldn't help herself, she got out of her chair and gave the vet a big hug.
 
Duo reciprocated, wrapping his arms around the woman and hugging back. “Thanks, Catherine.”
 
A cough from the other side of the reception desk brought the pair of them back to the here and now and they broke the hug to turn and see a smiling gentleman looking at them.
 
“Not that I'm one to interfere,” he began, “but could you tell me if it will be much longer before you can see to Bella for me?”
 
Duo chuckled. “Sorry, Mr Kinross. Just had some good news. You're next so if you'd like to bring Bella through we'll take a look at her now for you.”
“Thanks, doc.”
 
With a wink at Catherine, Duo grabbed the dog's file and returned to the consults.
 
* * *
 
As Catherine had predicted, Heero was over the moon when Duo told him the news. “That's fantastic, Duo! I'm so pleased and happy for you!” Heero's face was split into a huge grin, grabbing his partner and hugging the living daylights out of him whilst planting kisses to Duo's cheeks and then capturing his lips in a spine tingling kiss that told Duo just exactly how happy Heero was for him.
 
“It's still sinking in, I had to have Catherine pinch me to make sure I wasn't dreaming,” chuckled Duo when he was allowed up for air. He squirmed a bit in the tight embrace.
 
“Sorry,” Heero said a little sheepishly and relaxed his hold a touch. “I just can't believe it's true. You're going to be the team vet and attend the games. I mean, I knew you were coming to the games anyway, but now you're an official part of the team itself and all your expenses are paid for you. That's great!” Heero kissed the vet soundly once again.
 
“Yeah, it is kinda overwhelming.” Duo thought for a moment, still happily ensconced in Heero's arms. “Heero? The money I was going to use for my air fare, I'll donate that to your fundraising account, it's not a lot, but it's something.”
 
“Duo...” Heero began, his tone scolding. “You've already donated to the cause, you keep the money.”
 
“But...”
 
“No. Keep it.” Heero gave a sly smile. “But if you like, you can use it as your 'spending' money whilst we're in London.”
 
“Now that's a point,” Duo mused. “You're not going to be competing every day we're there and I'd really like to take in a bit of sightseeing if we can. It would be a shame to travel all that way not even see so much as the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, and any other places of historical interest.”
 
“I'm sure we will be able to get away for a bit here and there and do some of the touristy things,” Heero agreed.
 
“Okay. I'll hang onto the cash, but on one condition.”
 
Heero wasn't sure he was going to like what Duo was about to say, but he had to listen anyway. “And that would be?”
 
“You let me spend it on you too.”
 
Knowing he wasn't going to win this round, Heero gave in graciously. “All right. You got yourself a deal.”
 
“Good.” Duo smirked and then kissed his lover deeply.
 
“Have you told the others yet?” Heero asked as they broke for air.
 
“No, I haven't. I'm assuming Catherine will let Trowa, Quatre and Hilde know. You know what they say, if you want something spreading around, be sure to tell a woman.”
 
“Duo! Catherine is not like that!” Heero was genuinely shocked, until he saw the mischief dancing in violet eyes.
 
“I know,” Duo snickered. “But I didn't exactly tell her she couldn't tell anyone so I'm assuming she will.” No sooner were the words out of Duo's mouth than there was a knock at the back door and an excited Hilde bounced in without being given the all clear.
 
“Duo!' she shouted and dived across the kitchen to wrench the vet from Heero's arms and into her own for a bone crushing hug.
 
“Ack! Air, Hilde. I need my ribs to be able to breathe!”
 
“Sorry.” Hilde released her boss. “Catherine just told me the great news and I had to come straight down and congratulate you. That's wonderful. I'm so happy for you, and envious.” There was no malice in the words, just a genuine warmth.
 
“Thanks, Hilde. It's still sinking in,” Duo replied with a smile.
 
“This calls for a celebration,” Hilde went on. “I know. We should all go out for dinner to celebrate. We need to have a meeting anyway to discuss the fundraising so we can combine the two. I'll contact Trowa and Quatre and book us all into a restaurant. I'm on evening consults tomorrow so I should be through by seven. I'll make reservations for seven-thirty. This is so fantastic!” Hilde gave her fellow vet another hug, pressed a kiss to his cheek and then let him go. “I'll let you know tomorrow all the details of the reservation,” she said and then shot out the door. “Gotta run, consults start in two minutes.” With that she was gone, leaving two stunned men in her wake.
 
“Did I just dream all that or did hurricane Hilde just hit?” Duo asked, his tone a little bewildered.
 
Heero snickered.
 
* * *
 
True to her word, Hilde booked them all into one of Salsbury's finer restaurants and the group met outside the door at seven twenty-five. Having nodded a greeting to each other, they filed in and were shown to their table by the maitre-de. Deciding to order first and then discuss things afterwards, the six perused the menu and made their choices.
 
With dinner ordered, Trowa and Quatre were free to offer their congratulations to Duo on his appointment of team vet. Catherine had informed them when she'd gotten home the previous evening and Trowa had immediately been on the phone to Duo to congratulate then, Quatre also adding his sentiments. Now they were actually meeting face to face, they could add a hug to those good wishes.
 
Knowing they had business to discuss as well, Catherine took out her notebook, Heero pulled out the small, ledger type book he was keeping the cash flow records in and Quatre produced bank statements.
 
“How is the account looking?” Trowa asked around a slice of garlic bread.
 
“Not too bad,” Heero replied.
 
“How much have we managed to raise so far?” Hilde questioned.
 
Heero lay the book open and began to recite the list of figures. “The raffle netted a total amount of three thousand, the combined profit from the two quiz nights was five thousand six hundred and fifty. Chocolate drive added another one thousand two fifty and the jumping exhibition raised a further fifteen hundred. So far, the donations from the tins and personal contributions - “ Heero smiled warmly at both Trowa and Duo. “They have added another eight thousand. That brings the total figure of funds raised to date at nineteen thousand and nine hundred.”
 
Catherine gave a low whistle. “That's quite a bit,” she stated as she scribbled down the facts. She would need to keep an accurate record for the taxation department, along with Heero's ledger and the bank statements.
 
“Whilst I agree, it's an impressive sum, especially when we consider the size of the Salsbury community, it's still not enough.” Quatre added.
 
“I have eight thousand of my own savings to add to it and a possible two thousand for a sponsorship deal,” Heero finished.
 
“That would make the total twenty-nine thousand, nine hundred.” Duo offered. “That's twenty thousand, one hundred short.”
 
“Yeah,” Heero replied. No one had to tell him, he'd already done the math.
 
“Then it would appear we still have a lot of fundraising to do,” Catherine interjected.
 
“There's only so much a small township like this can afford to donate,” Hilde said, stating the facts. She wasn't trying to be cruel, just practical.
 
“I know. We just may have to take our efforts wider afield. See if we can come up with something that we can use to raise more funds that allows us to approach the surrounding districts as well.” Catherine thought long and hard, unable to come up with anything at that particular point.
 
Their meals arrived so everyone stopped talking for a moment and whilst still thinking about the problem, tucked into their respective dinners.
 
“What about a pet show?” Quatre offered.
 
Duo gave him a `look'.
 
“Well, Hilde, Trowa or you could be the judges, all of you have experience with animals.”
 
“Quatre, trust me. You do not want to hold a pet show and I certainly do not want to be a judge in it. I've had more than enough of that when I've had to judge similar competitions in the past. You can take my word from personal experience, those things can be your worst, living nightmare.”
 
“That doesn't make sense,” Quatre said, shaking his head. “They're just pets.”
 
“Ah, but it's a cut throat world out there, Quat. If little Johnny's cat doesn't win he throws a major temper tantrum. If Polly's rabbit doesn't get a placing then she cries non stop; and heaven forbid if you don't give a first place to Tommy's hermit crab.”
 
“Duo, you're being ridiculous,” Quatre sniffed. “They're just kids' pets.”
 
“Boy, are you naive,” Hilde snickered.
 
“Not you too! Honestly, to hear you two carry on you'd think it was Crufts.”
 
“No, it's worse,” Duo stated. “I'm still recovering from Tommy and his revenge for the hermit crab not winning at the school fete.”
 
“I don't believe you,” Quatre huffed.
 
“It's true. Tommy's hermit crab didn't win and he took it as a personal insult,” Trowa informed his lover.
 
“But he's just a ten year old kid.”
 
“Yeah, well. That ten year old kid let down all four of my tires and shoved a potato up the exhaust pipe of my car,” Duo informed Quatre.
 
“He what?!”
 
“You heard. I managed to get the tires inflated by a kind father who had a foot pump, but I didn't know about the spud until I went to drive off.”
 
“What happened?” Catherine asked, trying to keep hold of her laughter. The others weren't much better either, smiles tugging at all of their mouths.
 
“I started the car up, put it in drive and started to roll out of the grounds. The fumes couldn't go anywhere so they built up and began to invade the interior.”
 
“You could have been poisoned!” Quatre almost shrieked.
 
“Lucky for me, the build up of gas acted like a sort of propellant and before the gas could build too much inside, the spud exploded out of the tail pipe, shot across the grounds and hit the bull's-eye on the water dunking stall. Dumped the Mayor fair in the drink as he was the one on the seat above the tank at the time.”
 
With that last bit of information the entire group lost it. Laughter tore through them all, the mental image of their stoic Mayor being on a dunking machine to start with funny enough; but to know that Duo's car had sent a potato soaring through the air and actually hit the target to send the Mayor into the water, just too hilarious for words.
 
“Oh, my. That's just too funny, Duo. You sure you didn't make that up?” Catherine asked as she tried to bring her giggles under control.
 
“Nope. I swear it's all true.”
 
“Maybe we should hold a fete and ask the Mayor if he'd volunteer for the dunking stall,” Trowa snickered.
 
“You do and you're on your own,” Duo stated with a grin.
 
Quatre's cell phone went off. “Excuse me,” he said and got up to take the call away from the diners in the restaurant.
 
A couple of minutes later, Quatre returned, his face ashen and hands shaking. Trowa took one look at his lover and was on his feet, assisting the blonde to sit back at the table. Everyone else looked at the inspector in concern.
 
“Quatre? What is it?” Trowa asked in his gentle tone.
 
Vacant teal eyes turned to the tall man, Quatre's voice coming out in a broken whisper. “My father, Iria - they...” Quatre swallowed hard as two tears left the corner of his eyes.
 
“Your father? Iria? Quatre, what happened?” Trowa coaxed.
 
“Car accident. They're... gone. Oh, Allah, they're dead, Trowa. Dead!” Quatre collapsed against Trowa's shoulder, sobs wracking his slender frame as the others all stared in shock.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...