Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 76 ( Chapter 76 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 76
 
The landing was smooth, the plane touching down with barely a jerk and Heero relaxed a little. The engines were thrown in reverse, flaps down and brake applied as the pilots fought against the forward momentum and brought the reluctant plane back to a slow amble.
 
As they taxied in towards the cargo section, both Heero and Duo had their faces as close to the window as they could, getting their first glimpse of English soil. There wasn't a lot to be seen as the airport was huge. Runways, buildings, hangars,vehicles and aircraft were everywhere, but dotted amongst it all were odd patches of green.
 
Everyone will need to have their paperwork handy as we will be going through customs and immigration first. Once we have all cleared the formalities the horses will be unloaded and you will need your paperwork for your respective animals to be cleared by quarantine and immigration. Any questions?” Noin's little speech jolted everyone back to the here and now.
 
No one had any questions and as the plane pulled into its allocated area and the seatbelt sign went off, everyone began to gather their belongings and find their passports and other documents.
 
Stepping outside and down the stairway the group crossed a short expanse of tarmac and entered a building. Heero took a glance back to the plane and saw the cargo doors being opened and the vehicles being brought into place in preparation for the unloading of the horses.
 
Noin led the way to the immigration desk, the rest of the team following. One by one they approached the officer and handed over their passport and documents. Heero and the others all went through without a problem. Duo was detained a little longer due to his status as the team vet.
 
Once immigration had been cleared they waited in another section for all their luggage to be brought off. Special trolleys were provided as the officials knew the team would have a lot of gear to cart. Heero grabbed their suitcases and the box with Shini's gear in it, Duo giving him a hand to put it all on their trolley. With everything loaded onto the trolley, customs was the next stop.
 
Bags were x-rayed and passed through. Duo's medical kit was opened up and the contents checked against the inventory Duo had to supply. Everything was marked off and Duo questioned in relation to the difference in the amount of sedative in the kit upon arrival from when they'd departed. Duo explained about Romeo and produced the form he'd had to sign and had Noin witness as proof that he'd given the horse the prescribed amount. When everything added up and the customs officials were satisfied, Duo was free to join the rest of the team.
 
They sure are thorough,” Zoe commented as Duo joined them.
 
They have to be,” Duo replied. “Can you imagine just how much the illegal drug trade would flourish if they weren't as paranoid as they are?”
 
Yeah, I can see your point.”
 
As long as I keep accurate records of any and all drugs stocked and dispensed then there's no reason for them to detain me.”
 
Just as well you're thorough in your job,” Michael stated.
 
Come on everyone, the horses have been unloaded and Noin wants us all together for the checks,” Treize informed them.
 
Leaving all their gear in the area that had been designated for them where an appointed official was stationed to keep an eye on it all, the riders and their grooms went to fetch their charges.
 
Shini wuffled when he scented his master and pawed at the box he was still standing in. He really wasn't all that happy and wanted out of this stall. He could smell different scents in the air and wanted to explore.
 
Easy, son,” Heero soothed as he grabbed the lead rope from where it was hanging on the outside of the box. Duo stood beside the door, holding it closed once Heero stepped inside. With the lead rope clipped to Shini's halter, Duo opened the door and Heero led the stallion out to walk on English soil for the first time.
 
Shinigami neighed and jogged, trying to pull his master this way and that as he attempted to take in everything at once.
 
Steady. Settle down, Shini,” Heero coaxed, knowing that the stallion wasn't trying to be naughty, just excited.
 
Treize was having a similar battle with Romeo, the bay just as eager to take in everything around him as the gray was.
 
Walking past with a calm Lionheart, Zoe snickered at the pair. “And they say us females are high strung,” she teased.
 
Neither Heero or Treize replied, one; because they didn't have a good enough come back and two; because they had their hands full with trying to calm their respective mounts. Payback would come later.
 
Zoe took Lion up to the officials and started to go through the procedure, giving the other two a chance to settle their horses. By the time Zoe was finished, Shinigami had quieted enough and Heero brought him over.
 
Duo had all the paperwork for the stallion, leaving Heero free to handle the horse. The passport was checked and matched against Shini. Vaccination records were also checked and verified along with the veterinary certificates and clearance from the Australian quarantine board.
 
Satisfied, the officials stamped the passport and Shinigami was allowed to enter the country.
 
Romeo was still on his toes a touch, but remained calm long enough for the officials to do their thing and clear the bay for entry. Relieved, Treize led the bay over to where Heero was waiting with Shini. Immediately the bay settled further and exchanged wuffles with his friend.
 
How are we getting to the Olympic village and also the equestrian venue?” Duo asked. “Actually, where is the equestrian venue anyway?” With so much having gone on lately with the lead up to the trip, the financial side and then the packing, he'd not given a thought to the accommodation side of things or where the jumping would be held.
 
Heero turned his deep blue eyes to gaze at his lover in disbelief.
 
Treize snickered as he watched the exchange of 'eye signals'.
 
I don't believe you just asked that,” Heero stated.
 
Duo rubbed the back of his neck. “Yeah, well, with everything that's been going on lately I kinda forgot to look these things up,” he replied sheepishly.
 
It's okay, Duo. The equestrian events are being held at Greenwich Park. The stabling for the horses is there too. We will be staying in the Olympic Village which is about thirty minutes drive away. There should be a horse box waiting outside to transport the horses. We will be following behind, I assume,” Treize informed him.
 
Thanks, Treize.”
 
No sooner had Treize finished explaining things to Duo than Noin appeared. “Okay everyone. The horse box is just through there,” she began and pointed to a passageway between two buildings. “You need to bring your horses through and load them on. There's another small truck to take all your gear and a couple of cars for us and our luggage. Now, let's move out and get these horses to the venue, find their allocated stabling and get them settled.” Noin looked at her watch. “I hope you have all adjusted your watches.”
 
Everyone looked at each other and gave Noin guilty looks.
 
Noin sighed. “Adjust them now, people. It's seven-fifteen am, local time.”
 
Everyone quickly went to adjust their watches.
 
That means England is ten hours behind us,” Duo commented. “I make it five-fifteen in the evening back home.”
 
That's correct,” Heero replied as he finished setting his watch. “It will probably take us a couple of days to get used to the time difference.”
 
It's going to feel funny eating breakfast when we should be eating dinner,” Duo mused.
 
I don't think it will make much difference to you, Duo. You seem to have a good appetite regardless of what time of the day it is,” Zoe quipped as she remembered back to the Nations Cup when she'd first met the vet and Heero.
 
Hey! I'm a growing boy,” Duo retaliated.
 
You'll be growing outwards if you eat like Zoe's told me you do,” Michael put in with a grin.
 
Not a chance in my line of work, buddy,” Duo returned.
 
Can we forget about eating habits for a moment and get these horses loaded into the horse box and on their way?” Noin interrupted with a smile. It was good to see the banter passing between the team members and grooms, it helped with team moral.
 
Ah, yes. That's a good idea,” said Zoe and began to lead Lion in the direction Noin had indicated.
 
* * *
 
Shinigami and Lionheart were a little suspicious of the horse box at first, neither one having traveled in anything other than a horse float before. Romeo though, walked in quite happily, the box was very similar to Treize's gooseneck. Having Romeo walk calmly and quietly into the box soon had Lion and Shini's fears calmed and after a little coaxing from their masters, both horses walked inside and settled into their places.
 
The gentleman driving the box was an old hand, having been a groom to several of England's top riders over the years and knew his horses. He'd long since retired from the job of groom and now drove horse boxes. His face was wrinkled, voice calm with a lilt to it and his gray eyes sparkled with knowledge. The horses took to him immediately.
 
Don't any of you fret now. I'll be takin' good care of the hosrse's for ye,” he said in his quite, accented tone.
 
With the horses all loaded, the gear was next and the small truck took it all easily. Two cars were waiting behind the truck and everyone was quick to put their luggage in the trunks and climb inside. Treize, Joe, Heero and Duo all went in one car whilst Noin, Zoe and Michael traveled in the other.
 
The streets of London were just starting to come alive with the morning traffic, but the horse box driver skirted the main areas of the city, sticking to the outer roads as the venue for the equestrian events was to the south east of the main city.
 
Traveling behind the horse box and truck, Heero and Duo eagerly looked out of the car windows as the scenery passed by. Seeing the looks of awe and interest on the pairs' faces, Treize chuckled slightly and then spoke.
 
I suggest you both have a look on the Internet at what the main attractions and must sees there are in London, then make a list of what you'd like to see and go from there. You will have some time off to explore and go sight seeing.”
 
Duo gave the rider a grin. “Now that's not a bad idea, Treize.”
 
Sounds logical to me,” Heero put in with a shrug of his shoulders.
 
Have you been here before, Treize?”
 
No, I haven't so everything is just as exciting to me as it is to you. I just wish Zechs were here to share more of it.”
 
Duo noted the slightly melancholy tone and berated himself. Of course Treize would be missing his lover. “You're more than welcome to come play tourist with Heero and me,” he offered.
 
Thanks, Duo. There are a few places I'd like to see so I just might take you up on that offer,” Treize returned with a warm smile.
 
From what I know, the Olympic Village is not far from a lot of the main attractions,” Heero interjected.
 
London has a really good public transport system too. Not just the buses and taxis, but there's the underground too,” Duo stated.
 
Might be an idea to have a word with Michael, he did spend quite a bit of time here in London several years ago when he was competing on the European circuit. I'm sure he would be able to recommend some places to visit and the best way to get there,” Treize offered.
 
I know I want to see Buckingham Place, the Tower of London and Trafalgar Square,” Duo announced. Oh, and I have to visit Harrods.”
 
Harrods?” Three voices questioned in unison.
 
Uh, yeah. You know, the big department store.”
 
Duo, I know what Harrods is, just not why you want to visit there,” Heero said, clearly confused.
 
Duo grinned sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck. “I kinda thought I'd have a look around, see if what they say about getting you anything you want is true. Also I thought it would be nice to pick up a couple of gifts for the guys back home, a sort of thank you for looking after the practice, house and animals for us whilst we're gone.”
 
Heero smiled. “I think that's a wonderful idea.”
 
Then we can pay a visit to Harrods?”
 
Yes, Duo. I'll take you shopping.”
 
Yes!” Duo punched the air, much to the amusement of everyone in the car.
 
* * *
 
After an hour of driving, the team arrived at Greenwich Park. Navigating through the sprawling parklands that housed many historic buildings, the team arrived at the stabling area for those competing in the games. Noin asked them all to wait with the cars, truck and horse box whilst she dealt with the paperwork, formalities and located where their stables were.
 
While Noin was busy with the officials, the remainder of the group took the chance to look around. Eyes roamed around, taking in the sights of the emerald green grounds and drawing in deep lung fulls of fresh, English air.
 
Noin soon returned with an official who would show them to their allocated stabling. The box driver started up the engine and the vehicle moved slowly down a narrow road, the other vehicles following behind. Soon they were bearing down upon a large stabling complex.
 
Heero could see in the distance the areas set aside for the competitions, the grandstands rose to stand tall amongst trees with smaller, warm up areas set to the side. Just beyond all that lay the stables.
 
Arriving at the stables, the official spoke with another official and both came over to introduce themselves and show the riders to their stables and assist with bringing their gear to the allocated lockers.
 
Heero was pleased with the set up. The stables were all temporary, erected simply to house the horses competing in the games. Once the games were finished, the stables would be disassembled and the park would return to its former state. Each stable was large and airy with an inbuilt feed bin and automatic watering system. A locker was attached to each stable for the riders to place their gear in and was large enough to store feed stuffs too.
 
Prior to them leaving Australia, Une had contacted each rider to find out what feed stuffs they fed their respective horses and who was planning on taking feed with them. None of the three had brought feed other than what they'd had on the plane for their horses to eat in flight and Une knew they would all need a feed once they arrived. She'd taken the liberty of contacting a feed merchant in London and ordered enough of the necessary feed stuffs for all the horses. It had been delivered and now stood in one of the lockers.
 
Right people. Go and get your horses and bring them in, please. We need to get them settled as soon as possible,” Noin announced.
 
All three riders and their grooms returned to the horse box and began to unload their animals. Each horse was excited as it came down the ramp. Nostrils flared as new scents were taken in, neighs were exchanged between themselves and some of the other horses already in residence. Shinigami was trying to look at everything at once. His head was high, eyes wide and tail kinked over his back as he pranced on the spot.
 
Show off,” muttered Duo as he watched the stallion's antics with a smile on his face.
 
Steady, Shini,” Heero soothed as the gray propped and snorted at something he'd seen or smelt.
 
This was all so new to the stallion that he didn't know where to look first. Shini tossed his head and gazed around. All the smells were different and he wanted to explore. Unfortunately, his master was holding him pretty tightly so he couldn't do as he'd like.
 
Romeo was trying to drag Joe around as he decided he wanted to investigate. Joe wasn't all that tall or strong and regardless of what he tried to do to stop the stallion, Romeo managed to thwart him.
 
Seeing his groom having trouble with the eager stallion, Treize stepped in. “Give him to me, Joe,” he said.
 
Joe was more than happy to hand over the lead rope before he got rope burns.
 
Treize took the lead rope and gave a hard tug. “That's quite enough, Romeo!” Treize growled. The big bay stopped and looked at his master for a moment before once again doing his best to pull away. Treize gave the lead rope another hard tug and followed it with a hard smack to the stallion's shoulder. “Stand still and behave yourself!” he bellowed.
 
The stallion pulled up short and gave his master an apologetic look.
 
That's better. Now, remember your manners or you'll get another scolding.”
 
Duo snickered, it was quite amusing to see the large horse that could easily trample Treize into the ground, cowering like a naughty child. The smack wouldn't have hurt the stallion, in fact, Duo didn't think the animal would have even felt it!
 
That's better,” Treize stated and gave the stallion a pat. “Now, shall we find our stables?”
 
Zoe was laughing at the antics of the bay horse. Lionheart had been the perfect gentleman so far on their trip, not letting anything faze him at all. “You two should take a leaf out of Lion's book on behavior,” she teased as she led the bay through the entrance to the stabling area.
 
Both Heero and Treize declined to reply as neither could think of an apt remark; and they had their hands full still dealing with their excited horses.
 
* * *
 
The horses soon settled into their stables, and were calmly eating the feeds their masters had given them. Heero was relieved that Shinigami had decided to give up on walking around his stable and calling out to any other horse that would listen. Romeo was in the next stable and hadn't done much to help the situation either by also charging around in his stable and churning up the straw bedding.
 
Zoe had suggested putting Lion between the two as he was watching the youngsters with interest and almost smirking to himself.
 
After half an hour of their restlessness, both stallions gave up. Shini first when he realized it wasn't getting him anywhere other than to tire him out and Romeo when he discovered his partner in crime was eating.
 
With the horses taken care of, Noin gathered the team together, it was time to move on to the Olympic Village and get the riders settled into their accommodations.
 
Don't worry about the horses, the committee has allocated officials to keep an eye on each competing country's horses. Should any show signs of distress, illness or become a problem, they will contact us immediately at the village,” she told the team members.
 
That helped to put Heero's mind at ease a little.
 
Back in the cars, they were soon heading back towards London and the Olympic Village. They crossed the river Thames and headed north; the Olympic village was situated in a large area that also held the main stadium and several other venues for the various sports the games hosted.
 
Arriving at the main entrance to the village, the cars pulled up outside the office building and the team all alighted. Carrying their suitcases they followed Noin through the main entry doors and inside.
 
Leaving the team members and grooms in the foyer section, Noin approached the main desk and spoke with the woman behind it. Moments later an official came out and escorted them all through to another section. Here they were asked to produce their paperwork again, all details being closely scrutinized against the information the Olympic committee had on their data base. Once everything was verified and cleared, all luggage was checked by security along with the people themselves. It made all members feel much better knowing the lengths security was going to in order to ensure their safety.
 
Once the checks were complete, each person was issued with an identification card, map of the village and keys to their rooms. They were told to keep their ID cards on them at all times otherwise they wouldn't be able to enter the village or other venues. Should any of them lose or have their card stolen, it was to be immediately reported to the head office.
 
With the formalities out of the way, they were welcomed to the games and wished the very best of luck.
 
Stepping out the other side they were greeted by several officials who were there to guide them to their accommodations. Several small vehicles, something akin to golf carts were also present and the team all climbed aboard, two to a cart and were driven through the large village to their rooms.
 
The carts pulled up at the start of block 'D' and everyone hopped out, grabbing their luggage and thanking their drivers. With the carts having departed, Noin took charge again.
 
We're allocated rooms D12, D13, D14, D15 and D16. Heero, you and Doctor Maxwell will be in D12, Treize, you and Joe in D13. Zoe and Michael are in D14, I'm in D15 and Kyle and his groom will be in D16.”
 
Everyone checked their key cards and found they matched with Noin's information.
 
I suggest you all go to your rooms and unpack. There is a large, social room attached to each block and we will all meet in there in another two hours to go over the map of the village and ask and answer any and all questions you may have. Once we're finished, we'll go back out to the equestrian venue to check the horses and explore the facilities.”
 
Everyone nodded their agreement and dispersed in the various directions to their rooms.
 
Heero slid the key card through the door lock and opened the door. They stepped inside and took a good look around what would be their 'home' for the next four weeks. It was open and airy, neutrally decorated with basic furnishings. There was a small wardrobe to the left of the entry, a door following which opened into the small, en suite bathroom containing a shower, toilet and sink. To the right was a small bench with a sink and underneath a mini 'fridge. Stepping further in to the right was a dresser followed by a desk. A large window was at the end and to the left sat two single beds, a dresser between them.
 
It was comfortable and had all they would require.
 
Duo took one look at the single beds and scowled. Seeing the scowl and where his lover's eyes had strayed, he couldn't help but chuckle. Dropping his suitcase to the floor, Heero wound his arms around Duo's waist from behind and rested his chin on the vet's shoulder.
 
Don't worry, I'm sure no one will mind if we rearrange the furniture a bit.”
 
You sure? What about the cleaners?”
 
Duo, it's not like a hotel. There are no cleaners, we're responsible for keeping our room clean ourselves.”
 
What about changing the sheets? Laundry and stuff?”
 
From what I've briefly read in the welcome booklet, when we want the sheets changing or fresh towels, we leave them outside the door. There's a laundry on site for us to do our own washing and also has the laundry store in it for us to collect fresh linen from.”
 
Good.” Duo relaxed a little. “Then first things first. Let's move the dresser and push the beds together.”
 
Still chuckling, Heero released his lover and followed the braid of hair to the two beds. Within minutes the dresser had been pulled out and placed in the corner, the two beds shoved together and Duo was lying stretched out on one side.
 
Do they have double bed sheets in that laundry?” Duo asked.
 
I don't know. Why?”
 
These beds could very well pull apart during the night. If there's double sheets and blankets on them they will stay together much easier.”
 
Heero had to give the vet credit for that line of thinking. “We can always check the laundry out later and if they do have them I'm sure we can snitch a pair or two.”
 
Sounds good to me. Suppose we should unpack then.” Pushing up from the bed, Duo reached for his suitcase and began the task of unpacking and finding homes for his belongings.
 
Heero followed suit, hanging his jumping attire in the wardrobe and putting the rest of his things away in the dresser and bathroom.
 
Once they'd finished, and with another hour to go before they had to meet with Noin, Duo decided to take a shower and wash off the travel dust as he called it. Heero was left to explore their little room a little more. He sat down at the desk and pulled out the welcome booklet to do a little more reading. There was also a folder on the desk that contained a map of the village, information on some of London's sights, a little history of the city and a map of both London and the many transport systems available. So absorbed in his reading, Heero didn't hear when Duo came out of the shower.
 
What are you reading?” Duo asked as he draped his arms over Heero's shoulders and kissed his neck.
 
Just taking a look at the tourist things and a map of the city,” Heero replied and then turned his head to seize Duo's lips in a torrid kiss.
 
Duo allowed the kiss, eyes closing and knees going weak as a low moan was drawn from his throat.
 
Heero took advantage of the vet's dazzled state to pull him around and sit him in his lap. Duo was still damp from the shower and only wore a towel around his slender hips. “Tease,” Heero muttered as he stole another kiss.
 
Hey! I wasn't the one that pulled me into your lap,” Duo replied and then thought about what he'd said. “That makes sense in a weird way,” he snickered.
 
That it does,” Heero murmured. “I only wish we had a little more time. I could easily ravish you right now.”
 
And I could willingly let you,” Duo moaned. “But we have to meet with Noin in half an hour and you need to get showered yet.”
 
What say we test out the beds tonight?”
 
You're on.”
 
* * *
 
Half an hour later and the team were all in the social room with Noin. They went over the map of the village, noting there were several cafes, a couple of restaurants, and four `cafeterias' scattered throughout the complex. The cafeterias were open twenty-four hours so anyone could get something to eat at anytime of the day or night. Besides the eating places in the complex, there were several good quality and reasonably priced restaurants just outside the village.
 
There were a couple of bars and one night club also situated on the fringes of the village, their owners no doubt hoping to cash in a little when athletes won a gold and needed somewhere to celebrate.
 
Noin answered any questions the group had to the best of her knowledge and ability and once the questions were done with, she gave them all a run down on what to expect and what their schedule would be for the next few weeks. The horses were to have the remainder of the day and the following day to rest and recover from their trip. Their training would commence on the third day with light flat work. Noin wanted the horses to be worked by their owners in much the same manner as they had been back home in Australia. Horses thrived on routine and by following exactly what they would do at home, the horses would settle quicker and adjust much better to the change in country.
 
Noin would have an hour to two hour lesson with them every second day. She would take Treize and Heero on one day, Zoe and Kyle the following day and so on in the lead up to the games. Once the games started they wouldn't have as much free use of the facilities, but would still be able to work their mounts. The Jumping competition was on in the second week of competition and Noin wanted them all sharpened up and at their best for that week.
 
Right, if no one has any further questions we will head back to Greenwich Park and see how the horses are doing. Everyone got their security passes?” Noin asked as she stood up and glanced around.
 
Six heads nodded and the team followed their coach out to the main entry to find transport to take them back to the stabling area.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...