Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 91 ( Chapter 91 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 91
 
The congratulations rained down on Treize once the rest of the team found him in the warm up area. He accepted them all with good grace, pointing out as Heero had, that it was the horse that had done pretty much all of the work. Noin questioned him about the little mishap at jump ten and Treize replied honestly that he'd done his best to slow the stallion down after the water, but obviously he'd not begun his checking of the forward movement soon enough.
 
Noin could understand where the rider was coming from and congratulated him on keeping his faults to the lowest possible. She also discussed possible ways to slow the horse down as that information would be vital to their remaining two riders. It was a tricky course and these two jumps in particular, whilst not all that formidable looking, were certainly two of the toughest on the course. It was difficult to have your horse moving fast to clear the width of the water and then expect it to come back to a slow canter in order to clear jump ten.
 
It was a smart move on the part of the course designer.
 
Having relayed his experiences to Noin, Kyle and Zoe and discussed the options available, Treize was more than ready to take his horse back to the stables and see if he could sneak in a little cuddle time with his partner. He could see Zechs from the corner of his eye and noted the look of longing in those sapphire eyes. “If everyone has finished, I'll take Romeo back to the stables and settle him.”
 
Noin nodded in the affirmative, Kyle, Andrew, Zoe and Michael had all gone back inside to watch the remaining riders, Joe was loosening Romeo's girth while Heero and Duo stood to the side.
 
I'll come back with you as I'll need to give Romeo a check over,” Duo stated.
 
No problem.”
 
I'll come along too and give Duo a hand if he needs it,” Zechs said with a smile.
 
Heero didn't bother replying, wherever Duo went, he'd be following anyway.
 
Joe took the stallion from Treize and began the walk back to the stables, the other four followed behind, all still discussing the course.
 
Joe soon had Romeo unsaddled and brushed down. Heero went to check on Shini who was busy munching on his haynet. He did give a whicker of greeting to his master and was delighted when he received a couple of carrots.
 
Joe trotted Romefeller out for Duo to check the stallion's gait before holding the bay for Duo to examine. Experienced fingers and hands roamed over the muscle and bone of bay legs and body, checked the heart rate, breathing rate and temperature. Duo was pleased to find the bay had suffered no ill effects from his round and pronounced him perfectly fit.
 
Treize was relieved, although he would have been shocked if Duo had found anything wrong with the stallion, Romeo had been in perfect health since they'd arrived. Knowing that Treize wanted to spend a few minutes alone with Zechs if the looks the pair were sharing were any indication, Duo skillfully drew Joe away on the pretense of getting some electrolytes from his bag in the locker.
 
Several minutes later, Duo and Heero announced they were heading back to the arena to see how the scores were going, Joe accompanying them.
 
With the coast now clear, Treize lured Zechs into his own locker where they could share a few stolen minutes. Zechs made certain to let his lover know how proud he was of him and when they reemerged, both were a little on the hot and bothered side. Fortunately, the walk back to the main arena took several minutes and they'd both returned to normal by the time they rejoined the rest of the team.
 
What are the scores like?” Treize asked as he sat down and frowned as Zechs took the sweater Duo offered and sat on it.
 
The New Zealand rider finished with twelve faults and the Norwegian rider had eight. The Frenchman was unlucky and had a hoof in the water, a refusal at ten and then a rail down over the triple so it was twelve penalties for him too,” Zoe informed.
 
In the arena, the ground was being raked and the jumps checked before the third round would commence. Most spectators were taking advantage of the short break to fetch themselves something to eat and drink.
 
How long before the next lot start? asked Duo.
 
About another ten minutes,” replied Zoe.
 
I guess I'd better go get Marksman saddled up and begin warming up,' announced Kyle and stood up.
 
I'll come out to the warm up area shortly and work with you, Kyle,” Noin told the rider.
 
Okay, thanks. See you all soon.”
 
Good luck, Kyle,” the other team members chorused as the man and his groom left the seating area.
 
* * *
 
Marksman was feeling fit and on his toes. He jogged and snatched at his bit as Kyle began to loosen him up. His pale gold ears were pricked, eyes bright as he took in all the sights and sounds. Several horses were all warming up and there wasn't a lot of space in the area allocated for them to use. Kyle picked out a spot and began to ask his horse to work properly.
 
Sit a little deeper, Kyle,” Noin instructed as Marksman began to hollow his back in an attempt to avoid working properly.
 
Kyle dropped his weight and kept a firm feel on the reins. His legs pushed against the palomino hide as he attempted to get his horse to soften and listen to him. After a few minutes, Marksman gave in and began to work nicely.
 
Good boy,” Kyle praised as he felt his horse responding.
 
Noin worked with the pair for a while and after watching them take a couple of practice jumps, she left them to continue their warm up and returned to the arena to see how the rest of the countries had fared in her absence.
 
Michael had been dutifully recording all the scores and handed them over to Noin when she sat down.
 
How is it looking?” Noin asked as she took her seat and scanned quickly over the offered notebook.
 
So far we're still in with a damn good shot at the gold,” replied Michael. “The German rider made four faults and you'll be pleased to know the British rider also had four penalties. Sweden scored four faults and so did Italy.”
 
Noin did her best not to look too pleased at the results so far.
 
The Irish rider left the arena, the commentator announcing that he had also scored four faults and then went on to announce the American representative.
 
Seems like they all have 'four-fault-itis',” Duo snickered.
 
It does seem that way,” Zechs agreed.
 
Shows just how tough the course really is and how easy it can be to make that very slight error,” Heero stated, his eyes fixed on the American in the arena.
 
Yeah, I guess so. I feel sorry for the scorers, they're the ones who have to keep all the figures straight and with the number of four faults going down it could get a little trying on the eyes,” Duo said with a grin.
 
Will make for an interesting outcome,” Zechs mused and then his eyes took on a vacant look as he obviously locked himself in thought. Moments later he voiced those thoughts. “What happens if there is a tie on the total faults for one of the medals?”
 
Each coach still has to drop a score of one team member and if there is still a tie after that then it will incur a jump off,” Treize replied a little absently, he was focused on the American rider in the arena who was jumping an excellent round.
 
Zechs paled a little. “You mean if Aussie ties with another country you will all have to jump off?”
 
Not exactly. The team coach will select one member from the team to jump off,” stated Treize.
 
Ah, good.” Zechs' color returned for a moment. He hadn't been too sure if he could take another round sitting and watching his lover risk all over that course.
 
But after the team event, there are still the individual medals to be contested.”
 
Zechs looked up sharply. “Eh?”
 
Each of us has jumped two rounds already and the faults from those rounds are added up to give each of us an individual score. The top twenty five riders then go through to the third round and jump again. If there is a tie on penalties after the third round then there is a jump off against the clock for those tied on faults to give the individual placings.”
 
That means you will have to jump again?”
 
Most certainly.”
 
Zechs went as white as a sheet, the thought of his lover having to jump yet again sending cold chills though his body. He turned to Duo and lowered his voice. “You said he wouldn't have to jump again,” he hissed though his teeth.
 
Duo gave the other vet an innocent smile. “I said it was unlikely he would have to, I forgot about the individual medals. Why? Don't think you can handle the pressure, old man?” There was a twinkle of mischief in those violet eyes.
 
Blinking a couple of times, Zechs' brain suddenly kick started. “That means Heero will have to jump again too,” he retorted.
 
It was Duo's turn to pale. He'd forgotten about that. Amethyst eyes widened and Duo swallowed. “Errr...”
 
What's wrong, Duo? Can't you handle the pressure, watching whilst your lover is down there, risking all to win a medal for himself and his country? Think I should call for a medic now? Or maybe some oxygen? CPR or a shot of adrenaline? Or would a nice, quiet nursing home be more to your liking?” Zechs teased.
 
The only one around here that will be requiring medical attention and a possible hospital bed will be you if you don't quit with the teasing,” Duo growled, but there was a smile behind it.
 
Maybe we should both book a place in the psychiatric ward,” Zechs moaned. “I'm sure my nerves are going to be shot to pieces by the time this is all over.”
 
You could be right,” Duo agreed.
 
What are you two moaning about?” Heero questioned.
 
Oh, nothing much, just medics, nervous breakdowns and psych wards,” Duo replied with a smile.
 
Heero shook his head. “I don't want to know.”
 
Hey, you're the one that asked.”
 
I'm wishing I hadn't.”
 
A gasp went up from the crowd and all attention was fixed back to the arena and the rider currently on course.
 
The horse had given jump ten a good hit with his hind legs and whilst the pole had rocked in its cups, it didn't fall. They were clear so far and only had four more jumps to go, including the triple.
 
All the Australian team members were rigid in their seats, each silently hoping the pair would make a mistake and incur penalties, even if it was unsportsmanlike. The rider and horse though had other plans. Jump eleven was taken and cleared, the rider going a little wider and risking time faults in order to bring their horse straight into the triple.
 
The animal lengthened out his stride and cleared part A. They landed and with a grunt, the horse sailed into the air again and over part B. Once more they landed safe and took another stride to launch into the air and leave part C standing.
 
Doing very well,” Michael muttered to no one.
 
Yeah, they are. What a shame they can't hit something,” said Duo whose eyes continued to watch, oblivious to the looks of disbelief he was given from the rest of the group.
 
The pair in the arena went on to clear jump thirteen and then all that remained was the final fence, the gate. The horse adjusted his stride, lined up the jump and then leapt into the air. They cleared the obstacle and galloped through the finish.
 
Clear round for John Burrows on Graduate for the United States of America!” the commentator announced.
 
Damn,” came the muttered response.
 
Duo!”
 
Duo shrugged and gave a sheepish grin.
 
* * *
 
Kyle took a deep breath and ran a hand along the gold neck. “It's just you, me and those jumps out there, boy,” he said quietly to his horse. Marksman cocked back an ear to listen, even though he didn't understand a word his master was saying. “We need to give this our best shot, Sunny, no room for errors. All I ask is that you give me everything you can and listen to my aids.” Kyle patted the firm muscles.
 
Marksman gave a soft snort. He knew this was important, he could feel it in the way his master sat upon his back, smell it in the air and sense it through the tone of voice. He felt fit, full of energy and eager to be out there jumping. He'd show them all what he was made of.
 
Okay, Sunny, it's our turn now,” Kyle murmured and gathered up his reins.
 
Good luck,” called Andrew and watched as his boss and 'charge' entered the arena.
 
Next rider to compete and representing Australia, is Kyle Devon riding Marksman.”
 
The commentator had announced Kyle and the spectators were applauding as the palomino and his rider entered the arena. Kyle gave a soft smile to the crowd, patted his horse and rode for the judge to salute. The bell rang and Kyle swallowed his nerves, pushed Marksman into a steady canter and made his way to the start flags. The beam broke and they were on their way.
 
Jumps one, two and three were all cleared easily, Kyle allowing his horse to go forward and find his rhythm. They soon settled into the gait and Kyle remained light in his saddle, fingers keeping a gentle contact with the horse's mouth whilst his legs continued to drive the animal forward.
 
The pair sailed over jump four, Marksman jumping with confidence and ease. Fence five followed and then the pair were on track for the first of the testing elements; the double.
 
He's doing well so far,” Zoe commented.
 
I don't think I've ever seen Marksman jump so well,” Noin said softly, her eyes never leaving the pair in the arena.
 
They are certainly a good combination,” Treize mused.
 
That they are,” replied Noin.
 
Cool, calm and collected,” Heero muttered.
 
I just hope they continue to clear everything, we could do with another clear round to stay in gold medal contention,” Duo stated.
 
Whist nothing is certain, I'd have to agree with you, another clear round would be most beneficial,” Heero replied to his partner with a smile.
 
Then let's keep sending good thoughts Kyle's way,” grinned Duo.
 
Back in the arena, Kyle had brought his horse around and lined up the first element of the double. Marksman saw it and lengthened out his stride, picking his take off point, gauging the height and then pushing off into the air. Golden hide rippled as the muscles beneath drew taut, utilizing tendons and ligaments to assist in propelling the body up and over the jump.
 
They landed clean and immediately Kyle sat deep into his saddle kept the contact even and pushed his horse together for the two strides before they were once again airborne. The gelding tucked his legs up close to his body as they flew into the air and over the jump. His front legs stretched out to reach for the ground and within seconds they had touched down and were cantering away.
 
Good boy,” praised Kyle and gave the neck a quick pat. Shortening his reins, Kyle checked the forward pace and managed to slow the palomino down to turn left and follow the line of the course to jump seven, the road closed. Remembering that this was one of the awkward jumps on the course, Kyle was concentrating hard and doing everything he could to give his horse the best chance to meet the jump square on.
 
Ears pricked, Marksman spotted the jump and bounded forward eagerly, hooves digging deep into the dirt as they pushed the horse and rider into the air and over the jump.
 
Keep it going,” Michael murmured. Beside him, Zoe snickered.
 
Showing a clean pair of heels over the jump, Marksman landed safely and forged ahead towards the hay bales.
 
I hope he doesn't try to stop for a snack,” Duo snickered.
 
Heero simply snorted and didn't bother to rise to the bait.
 
Concentrating hard, Kyle rode his horse at the hay jump, legs pushing against the pale sides and keeping the impulsion there. Moments later they had cleared the jump and Kyle was turning towards the water jump. He let the reins slip through his fingers a touch and pushed his horse forward. Marksman responded by flattening out and increasing his speed.
 
The water lay ahead, sparkling under the light and Kyle was determined he wasn't going to leave a hoof in the water. The gelding was of the same opinion; he didn't like water much, usually because it meant a bath and given his coloring, Marksman had suffered through many a bath.
 
Almost at a full gallop, the pair approached the water. The gelding leapt over the expanse, front hooves reaching for the dry ground the other side and successfully obtaining it. Hind hooves followed and the steward's flag remained down.
 
Heaving a sigh of relief, Kyle dropped his weight back into the saddle and pulled back firmly on the reins. His legs applied pressure to the gelding's sides, maintaining the impulsion whilst slowing the speed. Jump ten was coming up fast and Kyle had no intentions of repeating the mistake so many had made and scoring penalties.
 
The gelding listened to his rider and slowed his forward rush, managing to re-balance and retain impulsion as jump ten appeared before them. Marksman was still traveling a little fast, but he put in a huge effort and did manage to scrape over the jump and leave all the poles in their cups.
 
Several of the Australian team heaved a sigh of relief.
 
By the time jump eleven appeared, Kyle had his horse completely back under control. He could feel the gelding starting to get a touch tired and did all he could to help his horse along. Once more those strong hind quarters pushed the body into the air and cleared another obstacle, landing a little roughly but still moving forward.
 
The triple was next and Kyle was well aware of the extra height and width of the elements, therefore he took his horse out for an extra couple of strides before making the turn to give him a touch more room to come into the fence as straight as possible.
 
It was a formidable jump, poles seeming to rise up continuously. Kyle shortened his reins and drove his legs hard against Marksman's sides. Gamely, the gelding lengthened out his stride and met the first element dead center. They rose into the air, flew over the jump and landed safely. One stride later and they were once again airborne over Part B, the palomino lifting up into the air and reaching for the height. They managed to clear it okay and returned to earth to take two more strides before the third element.
 
Come on, boy,” Kyle encouraged as he took his weight off the horse's back and into his stirrups. Hands flowed up the neck to give the horse rein as he stretched up and forward, straining to make the extra width. Poles passed beneath the golden belly as the front legs reached out for the fast approaching ground. The hind legs were following but unfortunately they were dragging a little behind and just caught the top pole of part C.
 
The pole rolled in the cups and then decided to fall.
 
Damn!” cursed Michael as he watched the pole come crashing to the ground.
 
Ah, crap,” voiced Duo.
 
Shit, that was just plain bad luck,” Treize muttered.
 
Hearing the pole hit the ground, Kyle mentally cursed. That was going to cost him four faults, faults they really didn't need. Shoving the mistake from his mind for the moment, he concentrated on getting his horse back in hand and balanced for the next jump.
 
The wall lay ahead and after that, the gate.
 
Two more to go, Sunny,” Kyle informed his horse. A snort was his answer.
 
Marksman was getting tired but he continued to plod on. He could sense there weren't many more jumps to go. The wall rose up before them, Marksman eying it up, picking his take off point and then when he reached it, he shoved himself off the ground again.
 
One to go,” Noin murmured as she watched the pair clear the wall. Despite the four faults, Noin was extremely pleased with how the pair had gone. It was a very difficult course; that fact evident in the scores of all the riders from around the world. Her team had nothing to be ashamed of in Noin's opinion.
 
Last one, boy,” Kyle encouraged and rode his horse with everything he had at the final jump.
 
Responding to his master's aids, Marksman gave the jump everything he had. His hind hooves bit deep into the dirt, muscles bunched and strained as they propelled the body from the ground and into the air. The gelding appeared to hover in mid air over the jump and then begin his descent. Bone, muscle and sinew took the force of the landing, Kyle giving the horse his head and pushing him forward into a gallop for the finish. The golden body streaked through the flags and stopped the clock.
 
Four faults for Kyle Devon of Australia riding Marksman,” came the announcement.
 
The crowd all cheered and applauded, Kyle patting his horse and trying to slow him down to exit the arena. In the stands, the rest of the team were once again scrambling out of their seats and aiming for the exit to congratulate their team member.
 
* * *
 
You be careful out there,” Michael said to his wife as he walked alongside her and her horse in the warm up arena. “I want you coming back to me in one piece.”
 
I'll be fine,” Zoe replied. “Lion will take good care of me.” She patted the bay neck of her horse.
 
Lion walked with a long, easy stride, he knew he would be jumping soon and accepted the entire event with his usual, calm outlook. He was a sensible horse, not one to waste his energy prancing around; he'd save it for when it counted.
 
I know he will, but it's my job to worry,” Michael returned with a grin.
 
Zoe gave him a smile and did her best to look reassuring. She knew her horse would take care of her, but this was one hard course and she was determined to give it all they had. Knowing that Heero had gone clear, Zoe was aiming for nothing less from herself and her horse. They were still neck and neck with the British team for the elusive gold medal and Zoe aimed to do her country proud.
 
With Kyle having finished with four faults and Heero clear, that meant the team currently had eight penalties between them. Zoe was keen to keep it that way. The remaining riders after Kyle had scored eight, four and eight penalties respectively which kept them towards the middle of the field. The final round of riders had started, all as eager as the rest to score a minimum of faults.
 
The German rider had started the last round of riders off and finished with eight faults, the British rider had stunned them all by going clear which left them in the gold medal position if Noin's calculations were correct.
 
Just one more reason for Zoe to go clear if she could.
 
The Swedish rider finished with eight faults and the Italian with twelve. The Irish rider also had twelve faults and the American was currently on course with Zoe the next rider to go.
 
Good luck, Zoe,” called Duo as he passed the pair on his way back to the arena from where he'd been checking over Marksman.
 
Thanks, Duo.”
 
You'll do just fine,” Heero said as he also paused to wish the woman luck.
 
I hope to emulate your round and come out clear,” Zoe replied with a grin.
 
If anyone can do it, you can and I hope you do,” said Heero.
 
Thanks, Heero.”
 
Heero and Duo left the pair to themselves and wandered back inside the arena to find out how the other teams had fared in their absence.
 
Noin duly informed them of the current faults, indicating they were still in with a chance at the gold medal. It all depended on how Zoe and Lion went. She was pleased to hear that Duo's check of Marksman had come back all clear. Now with just the one rider remaining to jump for their team, all concentration went back to the arena where the American rider had discovered that the triple width and height was just a little too much for his horse.
 
Eight faults,” Treize murmured as he clapped the American rider who was exiting the ring.
 
Representing Australia, we have Zoe Rundell riding Lionheart,” the commentator announced.
 
Cheers, whistles and applause went up as Zoe rode into the arena. She had a smile on her face and gave the crowd a friendly wave as she rode towards the judge's box. She looked tiny in the large arena and the jumps did nothing to improve her size.
 
Salute given, Zoe collected her reins, turned Lion and rode for the start flags.
 
Lion took jumps one to four in his stride, the extra height and width not seeming to bother the bay at all. From four they traveled to five and successfully cleared that too. Zoe was concentrating hard, keeping the impulsion in her horse whilst allowing him to stretch out and pick his own speed.
 
The double lay ahead and that was followed by the tricky turn to jump seven; one that quite a few had scored penalties at. Zoe didn't want to be another casualty of the jump. She kept her contact firm with the bay's mouth, restricting the forward movement whilst containing the energy in the powerful hind quarters.
 
They met part A perfectly, Lion soaring into the air and arcing beautifully over the jump. He landed safe on the other side and took two strides before launching into the air again and over part B. As soon as they touched down, Zoe was there using her hand, seat and leg to bring the bay back together, re-balance and then turn for jump seven.
 
That's good, keep him together, Zoe,” Michael muttered as he gnawed on a thumbnail.
 
Duo shook his head in amusement and lightly elbowed Zechs. When the blonde looked inquiringly at him, Duo nodded in Michael's direction. Zechs took a look at the other man and gave a low chuckle.
 
Zoe successfully turned the bay and was riding at jump seven, keeping her hands light on the reins and weight slightly out of the saddle. Lion responded well, listening to his mistress and gathering his hind quarters underneath to make a smooth turn.
 
Jump seven rose before them and Lion drew his hind legs underneath himself, pushing off into the air and reaching for the height of the jump. They sailed cleanly over it, front legs coming out and absorbing the impact of the landing.
 
Good boy,” Zoe murmured and patted the bay neck before taking control again and turning for the hay jump. Lionheart lengthened out his stride and measured up the jump; he picked out his take off point and drove his hind quarters underneath. His muscles rippled under the satiny hide as he easily cleared the hay bales.
 
Now for the water,” Zoe muttered and leaned further forward in her saddle to give the bay rein and urged him to gallop on.
 
Lion was only too happy to stretch his legs and eagerly bounded forward. He spotted the water jump and flattened out even more. He didn't mind water at all; he'd gone swimming several times with his mistress and enjoyed splashing around in the water. He did know that this was different though and gathered himself together for the effort he'd need to clear the expanse.
 
The pair flew into the air and skimmed across the water, Lion reaching for the further `bank' and finding it. The steward again looked disappointed that he couldn't raise his flag.
 
As soon as Lionheart touched down, Zoe dropped her weight and took a firm feel on the reins. Heero's words about the following jump coming up quickly were fresh in her mind and she knew she had to have Lion back between her hand and leg if they were to clear it. Fortunately for Zoe, all the early schooling and education that Lionheart had received stood him in good stead and he listened to his rider. He slowed his pace immediately and allowed his mistress to shorten his stride and build the impulsion again.
 
Jump ten was on them before Zoe had time to think and she pushed her horse forward, closed her eyes and sent a silent prayer that Lion had enough energy built up in his muscles to clear it.
 
The powerful hind end did its job and the pair cleared the jump, Lion giving a grunt as he landed. Jump eleven followed straight after and then Zoe was turning to the left for the triple.
 
This is the hard one, Lion,” she murmured softly. Lion cocked back an ear to listen. “Just listen to my aids, trust me and we should clear this okay.” Zoe set her jaw and rode determinedly at the jump.
 
Part A was before them, Lion shoving off the ground and clearing it. They landed and Zoe was there with her seat and leg, pushing and encouraging the horse forward. One stride and the bay was launching into the air again, Zoe following the movement with her hands and body. Lion returned to earth after clearing part B and found himself faced with the final element. It was wide and high, the bay listening to his mistress and taking the two strides before pushing off into the air. They flew up and over the poles; Lion a little tired and thus didn't get as much propulsion to his body as usual. His hind legs caught the pole and scraped over it, causing the pole to rock in the cups. It seemed as if everyone held their breath, the arena was deathly quiet as they waited to see if the pole would fall or not.
 
After a couple of rolls, it decided to stay put.
 
Thank god for that,” Duo muttered. “If it had fallen I think Michael would need resuscitation, actually, I think he still might need it,” he added with a glance to the man.
 
If he does then you get a proper medic to administer it because you're not,” Heero hissed under his breath. “Mine.”
 
Duo snickered. “I could always get Zechs to do it.”
 
Over my dead body,” Treize whispered. He'd been listening in to the conversation, as had Zechs and so it turned out, Michael too.
 
You might be my friends and all, but I think I'll pass on the mouth to mouth; I like you all, but not that much,” Michael stated.
 
Your loss,” Duo said with a shrug of his shoulders.
 
One I'm quite happy to lose,” came the reply.
 
Zoe gave the bay a couple of quick pats to the neck. “Thanks, Lion,” she said quietly. “Two more to go, boy and we're home. Let's give it all we have, hey?”
 
Gamely, the bay responded. He was tired but continued to canter on. He eyed up the approaching wall and drove his hocks right underneath his body to push off from the ground. They soared into the air, up and over the bricks before touching down cleanly on the other side.
 
One to go, keep it going, Zoe,” Noin whispered.
 
That's it, Zoe. You can do it,” muttered Michael. All around him the rest of the team members were also muttering similar things under their breath, eyes glued to the pair in the arena.
 
Last one, Lion,” Zoe said. She kept her attention fixed to the gate, knowing that this was the crucial jump. She couldn't afford to lose her concentration now and make a mistake.
 
The bay stretched out, bay legs carrying him forward to the final obstacle. The take off point was picked, Zoe's legs closed against the horse's sides and Lion launched himself into the air.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...