Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 94 ( Chapter 94 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 94
 
Shinigami gave a low whicker as his master approached and began to sniff around pockets in the hope of getting a carrot or three. The other nice human that was always with his master produced a carrot and Shini gently took it, crunching it happily.
 
“Thanks, Joe,” Heero said as he took his horse from Treize's groom.
 
“No problem, Heero. He's a fine horse to handle, got nice manners.”
 
“I should hope so,” Heero replied with a smile.
 
“Good luck to you both. I know you will do just fine,” said Joe and disappeared into the stadium.
 
Duo busied himself checking the girth, pulling the stirrups down and then double checking the jumping boots. “Everything is fine, Heero.”
 
“Thanks.” Heero was about to say more when Noin appeared so he decided to keep it for later and shut up.
 
With Heero mounted up, Noin took the rider to one side and had a few minutes warm up with him before giving him some last minute advice.
 
“The jumps are no bigger than what they were in the last round, Heero. They didn't give Shinigami any problems then and I don't expect them to give him any now either. All I expect from you both is that you give it your best shot. Don't worry too much about the speed, aim for getting over the fences. But most of all, try to enjoy yourself.” Noin added a smile. “I will be happy with whatever score you come out with. I'm just so damn proud of this entire team for getting this far.”
 
Heero felt warmed by the coach's words and straightened his spine. “Shini and I will be giving it everything we have, Noin. I'll do my best to make sure your faith in us isn't unfounded.”
 
“Good luck, Heero. I'll see you inside shortly, Doctor Maxwell.” Noin patted the gray neck and left Heero and his horse alone with the vet in the warm up area.
 
Duo couldn't help but overhear the coach's words and once they were alone he sidled alongside Heero and his horse. “She's right you know. This team has done extremely well and we're all proud of each one of you. I know you and Shini have the determination and the ability to go out there and show the rest of the world just how damn good we Aussies are. You'll do just fine, Heero. Shini will look after you and you will look after him. I just wish I could hold you, kiss you and show you exactly how damn proud of you I am.”
 
Feeling his heart melt, Heero looked deep into his lover's eyes and tried to put as much emotion into his own as possible. “Shini and I will be doing everything we can to secure that gold medal for the team, Duo. I'll hold you to showing me how much you love me after the jump off and we're alone in our dorm.”
 
A shiver of anticipation ran the length of Duo's spine. “You can bet on it, Heero.”
 
“Heero Yuy? Heero Yuy from Australia?” called the steward.
 
“I'm here,” Heero replied and turned Shini to walk towards where the steward was standing at the entry to the main arena, Duo walking beside them.
 
“Ah, could you please remain here as you will be next to jump once the other rider has finished,” the steward stated.
 
“No problem.”
 
The steward turned to locate the UK rider and speak with them for a moment, Heero took the opportunity to wish the other rider good luck and then moved slightly to the side where he would be able to see some of the other rider's round and hear the commentator. Duo stood beside him and the pair focused on the arena as the public address system burst into life.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, we now come to the rounds you've been waiting for; the jump off for the team gold medal. The United Kingdom will ride off first.” There was loud cheering and applause as the UK rider entered the arena and it was a few moments before the commentator could be heard again. “Representing the United Kingdom, Arnold Penn riding Jigsaw.”
 
Once again the cheering drowned out all other sound for a minute before silence fell over the arena. Arnold rode to the judge and saluted, turned his horse and with a look of determination on his face rode for the start.
 
The bell rang and the pair were on their way.
 
They cleared the first fence easily enough and were on track for the second, the pair starting out steady and building the pace as they went. The barrels were before them and the big skewbald rose into the air to clear them with inches to spare.
 
“He's doing well, isn't he,” Duo commented.
 
“So far he is, but the real test is about to come,” replied Heero.
 
Landing safely over jump two, Arnold sat down deep and managed to turn his horse inside jump thirteen, seat and legs working hard to keep the impulsion and ride the skewbald forward.
 
The turn was completed and within three strides the horse and rider were launching into the air again and reaching for the extra width of the oxer. They managed to clear it, although to Heero it looked like it had taken a bit out of the skewbald. Heero watched intently to see what Arnold would do in regards to his turn for the triple.
 
Arnold was doing his best to rebuild the impulsion he'd lost over the last jump. Using his hands to control the forward movement he was driving his horse together beneath him, legs and seat working together to push the energy to where it was most needed.
 
With one eye on the next jump, the rider rode ahead, picking out his place where he would turn and bring the horse into the triple. The stallion followed his rider's aids, slowing his pace a touch and settling the energy back into his hind quarters.
 
“Shit, that's a tight turn,” exclaimed Duo as he continued to watch the pair in the arena.
 
“Damn tight,” agreed Heero. “Could be interesting to see if he runs out of steam over the triple.”
 
The skewbald lengthened out his stride, picked his takeoff point and with a grunt, pushed himself into the air. Brown and white legs tucked up against the body as the poles passed beneath, then unfurled to take the force of the landing.
 
Clearing part A, Arnold was immediately there to push his horse together and forward to part B. Once again those hind quarters strained with the effort of propelling the animal and his rider into the air. They made the width of the jump and landed clean on the other side.
 
“Make a mistake, will you?!” Duo muttered to himself. Heero raised an eyebrow at him but Duo simply shrugged his shoulders and returned his gaze to the arena.
 
With only one stride between parts B and C, there wasn't a lot of time to drive a horse together. Arnold used all he had to keep his horse full of impulsion, riding hard at the final element of the triple.
 
Once more the brown and white body was airborne, haunches pushed to the limit as they did their best to ensure the horse didn't hit anything. The spread on the jump was quite big and Jigsaw had to really reach for that width. As gravity pulled them back to earth, a hind hoof touched the top pole of the jump and caused it to roll in the cups.
 
Heero held his breath as he watched the pole rock back and forth.
 
Duo was willing the pole to fall.
 
It didn't.
 
A collective sigh went through the crowd as the pole decided to remain in its cups before silence filled the arena again.
 
Arnold knew he'd missed a disaster but didn't dare turn to look back over his shoulder to see what had happened; instead he concentrated on getting his horse over the last two jumps without any faults and set a stiff time to beat.
 
The wall appeared before them, Arnold checking his horse a touch and then riding forward. The stallion lengthened out his stride and drove his hind quarters underneath, pushing himself up and over the wall.
 
The pair landed safely and rode on towards the gate, the final fence.
 
“Geeze, you'd think that pole could have been a bit sympathetic and fallen,” Duo muttered.
 
Heero gave his partner a glance out the corner of his eye. He had to agree with his lover, although he'd never say it .
 
The skewbald was bearing down on the gate, ears flicking back and forth as he listened to his master. Feeling the subtle aids, he picked his takeoff point, lengthened stride again and then pushed off hard from the ground. The pair soared over the gate, forelegs coming out to take the force of the landing and then moving forward as the hid legs came down to catch up. Giving his horse his head, Arnold urged the animal into a gallop and through the finish flags.
 
Immediately a roar went up from the crowd, Arnold rained pats down on his horse and took a moment to glance at the electronic clock.
 
The red numbers stood out. 42:15 seconds stared back at him.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, representing the United Kingdom, Arnold Penn riding Jigsaw has gone clear in a time of 42:15.”
 
Once more the arena erupted into cheers and applause.
 
“That's going to be a hard time to beat, Heero,” Duo murmured.
 
“Hai, it won't be easy, but I'm going to give it my best shot,” came Heero's determined reply.
 
Duo turned to look at his lover and gave a soft smile. Heero's jaw was set, his blue eyes burned with a fierce determination and Duo knew his lover was going to pull out all the stops. “Just promise me you will be careful and come back to me in one piece.”
 
“I'll try, but I won't lie to you, Duo. I will be taking risks out there and I'm sure that Shinigami will cope with all that I'm going to ask of him, but there is always a chance...”
 
Duo silenced him with a finger to his lips. “I know,” he whispered. “Just go out there and do what you have to do. I'll be here waiting.”
 
“God how I love you,” Heero whispered back.
 
“Love you too. Now you'd better get going and show the world what you can do.”
 
Heero nodded and turned his horse towards where the steward was waiting, walking the gray across as the skewbald came out of the arena. Arnold passed on his good luck wishes and Heero reciprocated with his congratulations.
 
Duo watched his lover speak with the steward and then begin his entry to the arena before taking off at a flat out gallop into the stands and the rest of the team.
 
Spotting Duo's sprint along the aisle, Zechs pulled his legs back a bit to let the other vet through easier. With a sigh, Duo dropped into his chair and did his best to catch his breath.
 
“How is Heero?” asked Treize.
 
“Nervous, shit scared, determined to give this his best shot,” Duo replied. “He's still a little unsure of himself, but I think that once he starts riding the course he'll be fine.”
 
“Of course he will.”
 
Duo switched his attention back to the arena where Heero was riding in.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen; our second rider in the jump off for the gold medal. Representing Australia, Heero Yuy riding Shinigami.”
 
* * *
 
“Who do you think they will have jumping for Australia?” Quatre asked as he settled onto the couch next to his lover.
 
“Treize?” responded Trowa
 
“I'd think it would be more likely to be Zoe,” Catherine stated. “She did go clear and has an experienced horse.”
 
“Could be Heero, he's also gone clear although Shini isn't as experienced as Zoe's horse,” Hilde commented.
 
“Suppose we will have to wait and see,” said Quatre with a sigh and snuggled up closer to Trowa who promptly draped an arm around his love's shoulders.
 
“The UK rider is in. Oh, what a pretty horse,” Catherine cooed.
 
“He is unusual,” said Hilde with a smile and then fell silent as the commentator announced the rider and his horse. “Aptly named too. Jigsaw, hmmm... his patches do resemble jigsaw pieces.”
 
“With any luck a piece will go missing and the Aussies will get the gold,” Trowa mused.
 
“Trowa! That's not a nice thing to say,” scolded Catherine. “Ow! What was that for?!” she added a second later when Hilde elbowed her in the ribs.
 
“You can't talk, you were also muttering about the opposition knocking rails down,” Hilde admonished.
 
“Oh, look, he's already cleared the first two jumps,” said Quatre as he attempted to diffuse the situation.
 
It worked. All eyes were back on the screen and watching intently as the British rider made a sharp turn to clear jump ten.
 
The triple followed and all four held their breath as they watched the pole rock in its cups and then decide to stay put.
 
“Damn! It could have done us all a favor and fallen.”
 
“Hilde!”
 
“What? I'm just keeping up with you lot and your secret wishing for this guy to make faults.”
 
Jump thirteen was cleared and then the gate, the rider galloping through the finish to stop the clock.
 
“Quick, grab a pen someone and write down his time,” demanded Quatre.
 
“Sheesh, what did your last slave die of?” grumbled Hilde as she grabbed her bag and rummaged inside, locating a pen and paper and scribbling down the time.
 
“Under-work and over pay,” Quatre quipped.
 
Hilde shook her head.
 
“We should know who it is that's representing Australia in a sec,” Trowa said and shifted slightly, causing Quatre to slide even closer to him.
 
The commentator announced the UK rider's clear round and time and once the applause had settled he went on to announce the Australian representative. “...representing Australia, Heero Yuy riding Shinigami.”
 
“Well, shit!” Quatre's eyes widened.
 
“Yes! Go Heero!” cheered Catherine.
 
“I knew it would be Heero,” Hilde smugly stated.
 
“Let's just hope they can do better than the UK rider,” Trowa said.
 
“Of course they will,” Quatre huffed. “This is Shinigami we're talking about here. That horse will do everything right, just you watch and see.” Quatre was a little miffed, he had complete faith in his horsey nephew and his abilities.
 
“I guess Heero's just along for the ride then?” Hilde snickered.
 
“Will you lot shut up and watch?” Catherine interrupted, “they're starting.”
 
Silence descended upon the four.
 
* * *
 
As Heero rode into the arena the crowd cheered and applauded. He could hear the commentator announcing him but he pushed it all to the back of his mind. He rode to where the judge waited and saluted. Gathering his reins he urged Shinigami into a slow canter and made his way towards the start flags.
 
“This is it, Shini,” Heero whispered to his horse.
 
The gray swiveled an ear back to listen. Even though he didn't have a clue what his master was saying, he knew this round was important; he could sense it and hear it in his master's tone. He needed to respond to his master as quickly as possible and do his best.
 
“This is the tough one, the one that really counts. We need to clear all the jumps and in a fast time too. I know you can do it, Shini; we can do it and we will do it. We'll do it for the team, for our country, for Zero; but most of all, we'll do it for Duo.”
 
Jaw set, Heero took a firm hold of the reins, sat deep into his saddle and hearing the bell ring, rode through the start and towards the first jump.
 
Gray ears went forward, Shinigami spotting the first fence and lengthening out his stride accordingly. He launched into the air and sailed cleanly over the jump. Once all four feet were back on the ground, the stallion allowed his master to tell him what he wanted next. A light pressure on the rein, a soft touch to one side and a shift of body weight let the gray know he was expected to turn to the left.
 
Up in the stands, Duo was doing his best to keep his breathing even and his hands from shaking. He was so nervous for Heero. He knew how important this round was, not just for the team and country, but for Heero too.
 
The rider had spent so many hours working himself and his horse to the point where they were world class only to have disaster strike and wreck all the carefully laid plans. It had been Heero's dream since he was a little boy to ride for his country in an Olympic games.
 
Now here his lover was, achieving his dream.
 
Duo smiled with that thought.
 
Jump two was approaching and Heero kept a firm hold on the reins, preventing Shini from rushing forward. He knew he needed to have the stallion's complete attention as there was a very sharp turn to follow and they wouldn't make it if the horse wasn't balanced and listening.
 
Using his set and leg, Heero pushed the gray together, checking the forward movement until the last three strides and then letting the gray surge forward.
 
Shinigami bounded up to the jump, hind hooves digging deep into the dirt and pushing the large body into the air. Heero followed the movement, hands sliding up the neck as his weight came out of the saddle and onto his stirrups. Then they were returning to the earth, front legs coming out to take the force of landing.
 
No sooner had Shinigami's four hooves hit the dirt and Heero was there. Hands took a very firm hold, bringing the gray almost to a stop as Heero's weight dropped deep, seat and legs pushing, driving those hind quarters underneath the animal and asking for a sharp turn.
 
The stallion responded, pretty much pivoting on the spot and then moving forward again.
 
“Shit, that's a tight turn!” Zoe exclaimed.
 
“Damn tight!” Treize agreed, “but if he can pull it off it will certainly go a long way in the time stakes.”
 
“Ah, crap.”
 
“Duo?” Zechs questioned when he heard the soft words. “What's up?”
 
“I've got no fingernails left to chew.” Duo looked at the sorry state of his fingernails, all bitten back to the quick and likely to bleed if he continued to gnaw on them.
 
“Well you're not going to munch on mine!”
 
Duo gave the other vet a disbelieving look.
 
“And don't even think about taking off your shoes and starting on your toenails either!”
 
* * *
 
Listening to the aids from his master, Shinigami pivoted, dropping his shoulder and spinning around as fast as he could. Jump thirteen passed on their left side, the stallion still focusing on the signals he was getting from his rider.
 
The contact was maintained with Shini's mouth whilst Heero did his best to build the impulsion back up in his horse. Jump ten lay ahead and he was determined to clear it. After jump ten came the triple and that was a jump Heero knew he had to have his horse set up for.
 
The gray was responding perfectly, slowing a touch and letting the energy manifest in those powerful hind quarters. His attention was fixed firmly on the jump he could see ahead. Take off point picked out, Shini let his master guide him forward and waited for the signal to jump.
 
Concentrating hard, Heero rode at the oxer, reins firm in his fingers until the last stride when he loosened them off enough to allow Shinigami to stretch out his head and neck as his body rose into the air. The gray body arced perfectly in the air, all four feet making sure not to touch the jump at all, Heero following the movement of his horse with practiced ease.
 
As the stallion began to descend, Heero's concentration switched to the triple which was the next jump.
 
* * *
 
“What a sharp turn,” gasped Hilde as she watched Heero and Shinigami practically spin on the spot.
 
“He's a lot like Zero,” mused Trowa as he recalled several shows both he and Quatre had attended to watch Heero and Zero jump.
 
“I don't know if I can take all this excitement,” groaned Quatre. “Feels like my heart's about to jump out of my chest.”
 
“Don't worry, I'll soothe you later with a nice massage and soak in the hot tub,” whispered Trowa.
 
Quatre melted.
 
* * *
 
Zechs glanced at Duo from the corner of his eye and bit his lip. The other vet was looking very pale and a light sheen of sweat was gracing his skin. Not being able to chew on his fingernails, Duo was absently nibbling the end of his braid instead.
 
“You okay? You're looking a bit on the pale side,” Zechs whispered.
 
“I'm fine, just nervous,” Duo replied, eyes remaining locked on his lover in the arena.
 
“Water?” Zechs waved a bottle of water under Duo's nose. “Or maybe a dose of paraffin oil to move the hair balls you're no doubt currently gathering in your insides?”
 
Duo shot the other vet a glare, but took the water. “Thanks.” He quickly downed the lot, feeling a little better and handed the empty bottle back to Zechs; once more returning his attention to Heero and Shinigami.
 
Zechs took the bottle, looked at it,shook it and held it upside down. Nothing came out, it was bone dry. A snicker to the side caught his attention and he turned to see amused blue eyes watching him. “Huh?”
 
“You did ask him if he wanted a drink, did you not?” asked Treize the humor clearly in his voice.
 
“I didn't mean the whole bottle!”
 
* * *
 
Having landed clean over ten, Heero rode forward, one eye ahead, the other glancing back to where part A of the triple stood whilst his brain was plotting where he would make his turn.
 
Too far ahead and they would lose time. Too tight and he wouldn't be able to re-balance and give his horse enough room to build impulsion before the jump would be upon them. Allowing the gray to take another two strides, Heero determined they were far enough to make the required turn and not lose too much in time. He gave the aid for the turn and Shini obeyed.
 
The turn was neat, quick and precise, leaving Heero with a good five strides before the first element of the triple. It would have to be enough. Reins firm between his fingers, Heero used his seat and legs to drive the stallion forward and together.
 
The triple loomed ahead, Shinigami eying it off and picking his take off point. He was still full of going, eager to be jumping and loving every minute of it. Part A was right there and Shini dug his hind hooves in deep, raising his forehand and pushing himself into the air.
 
Going forward with his horse, Heero maintained a light contact with the stallion's mouth whilst lifting as much weight as possible off the animal's back. Remaining slightly out of the saddle, he made sure to have his legs ready to ride the horse forward when they touched down.
 
Forelegs reached for the earth below, shoulders and legs absorbing the impact of landing and then lifting forward as the hind legs touched down. Immediately Heero was there, his leg and seat pushing Shinigami together and driving the animal's hind quarters right underneath him.
 
Part B was upon them, the gray launching off his hocks and into the air. Poles passed beneath his belly, front legs curled close to his girth and hind legs following in a fluid arc over the jump.
 
Once more those fragile front legs came out and bore the brunt of the landing, sinew and muscle absorbing the impact and then propelling the animal forward.
 
With a grunt, Shinigami took another stride and then with his master's encouragement, leapt into the air again and over the last part of the triple.
 
* * *
 
“Please clear it, please clear it, please clear it,” came the muttered plea from Quatre as his eyes remained riveted to the screen.
 
Trowa paused in his watching of the action on screen for a moment to take in the action currently happening around him.
 
His lover was repeating the mantra in a whisper, Catherine sat with her mouth open whilst her hand had the sofa arm in a death grip. Hilde looked like she was about to burst a blood vessel. She was going red in the face; Trowa thought he'd better remind the vet that breathing was a good idea.
 
With Hilde now breathing again, Catherine allowing the sofa a moment of reprieve and Quatre's mantra changing slightly to, `That's it, almost there,' Trowa returned his attention to the television.
 
* * *
 
“Oh fuck, this is getting too intense,” Duo moaned and hid his face behind his hands. “I can't bear to watch.”
 
“It's okay, Duo. Heero's doing just fine,” Zechs soothed.
 
“I know he is and I want him to do well so badly. He deserves to win; but I don't think I can take any more.”
 
Duo did look a bit on the pale side to Zechs and the blonde felt his concern rise a touch. “I can fetch a medic if you like?”
 
The death glare he received for that was more than enough to convince him otherwise.
 
“Or maybe not then.”
 
“Give him a shot of brandy,” Treize advised.
 
“But, he doesn't drink. A shot of brandy would probably have him pissed and make him pass out,” Zechs returned, his voice a little shocked.
 
“At least then he wouldn't have to worry about watching Heero jump.”
 
“Treize!”
 
Treize chuckled. “I'm only joking.”
 
* * *
 
Shinigami had to put in quite an effort to clear the third part of the triple. It was high and wide, the stallion reaching for the far poles and skimming over them as gravity pulled him back to earth. His hind fetlock just caught the back pole and rolled it gently in the cups.
 
The crowd all held their breath, the pole rolled back and forth, once... twice...
 
...and then settled back into position.
 
Duo was on the borderline of hyperventilating.
 
Zechs began a frantic search for a paper bag in case he should need it.
 
In the arena, Shinigami followed the pull of gravity and landed safely, Heero allowing his weight to settle back into the saddle and collect his horse up. He risked a moment to give the gray neck a quick pat.
 
“Good boy, Shini. Just two to go and we're home.”
 
A gray ear flicked back, the stallion feeling pleased with himself for the praise he was getting.
 
Not about to let his concentration waver for a moment, Heero rode his horse forward and towards jump thirteen; the wall.
 
A sea of red bricks awaited them, seemingly endless as they rose from the ground. Shinigami snorted and tossed his head. That wall didn't put him off for one moment. Gathering himself together, he flew into the air.
 
The crowd watched as the gray launched himself from the ground, appearing to hang in mid air over the top of the wall and then finally drop back towards earth.
 
“Last one, Shini,” Heero encouraged. “Just this one to go and we're home. Come on, son. Let's give this everything we have.”
 
Although Shinigami was getting a little tired, he gamely surged forward, somehow finding that extra bit of energy and soaring into the air over the final fence.
 
You could have heard a pin drop in the arena. The crowd completely silent as they watched the courageous gray and his rider clear the final jump.
 
Once Shini's front feet were on the ground, Heero lined them up for the finish flags and gave his horse his head. Legs and seat drove hard against the stallion, urging him forward into a gallop. Shini's ears went flat against his head, legs flashing beneath him as he stretched out and galloped for the finish.
 
Everyone held their breath, eyes switching from the horse and rider to the electronic clock and back again.
 
“It's going to be close,” Treize stated.
 
“Too fucking close for me,” Duo gasped as he watched his lover break the beam and stop the clock.
 
Unfortunately for the crowd, the clock blacked out so no one had a clue as to Heero's time. A collective groan went up only to be silenced as the commentator came over the public address system.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen. A clear round in a time of 42:12 seconds for Heero Yuy on Shinigami!”
 
The crowd all cheered and applauded before being silenced momentarily as the commentator continued.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, the showjumping team gold medal has been won by .03 of a second by Heero Yuy for Australia!”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...