Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 101 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 101 - Epilogue
 
 
Heero chewed absently on a stalk of hay, leaning on the fence rail and gazing out across the paddocks. The sun was just beginning to lower in the sky and the world was bathed in oranges, yellows and reds. Angel was grazing calmly, in the next paddock Wing was cavorting about, kicking up his heels and playing a game of `tag' with Shini, the older gray indulging the young colt. Zero stood dozing by the gate, knowing he would be going inside the stables soon for his dinner.
 
As he stared out at the landscape, Heero's mind began to wander. A soft touch to his shoulder had him turning his head to look into calm violet eyes.
 
“You okay, Heero?” Duo asked as he moved to stand beside his lover and stare out where Heero had been looking.
 
“Hai, I'm fine, just thinking.”
 
“Happy thoughts?”
 
Heero nodded. “I was just thinking back over the past couple of months.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“It all seems like a dream in some ways. As much as I've enjoyed it all, it's good to be home again.”
 
“Yeah, I agree with you there, Heero. It was a great experience and I still have to laugh over some of the things that happened, but it was good to get on that plane and come home.”
 
Heero chuckled to himself as the memories of their departure from England, arrival back home and following weeks flooded his mind...
 
~ Flashback ~
 
 
“That all of it?” Heero asked as he stepped back into the dorm room he and Duo had shared for the past few weeks.
 
“Yeah.” Duo took one last look around the room, checking that all was back as it had originally been when they first moved in. The single beds were no longer together, each pushed back to its rightful place and made up with the single sheets again. The dresser sat once more between them and all evidence of their relationship had been erased.
 
“Come on, we have to get to the stables to load Shini onto the horse float for his trip to the airport.”
 
“Hold me first?” Duo asked, his eyes pleading.
 
Heero stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Duo's waist, Duo tucking his head under Heero's chin. Heero's hand drifted up and down Duo's back in a soothing motion. “I love you,” he whispered.
 
“Love you too. Sorry for being such a sap, but it's going to be ages before I can hold you or kiss you again.”
 
“I know,” came Heero's reply. “I'm sure we can snatch a few minutes alone somewhere on the way home.”
 
“I hope so, otherwise our secret will be out,” Duo chuckled.
 
Heero glanced at the clock. “We'd better get moving, the bus will be here in ten minutes.”
 
The pair shared a passionate kiss before separating, and picking up their luggage, made their way to the front of the Olympic Village and waiting shuttle bus.
 
* * *
 
Shini was soon rugged and had his traveling `boots' on. Heero had packed up all his gear earlier that morning and the boxes waited just outside the lockers with the rest of the team that was flying out. Kyle had left earlier that morning; being based in the UK he didn't have to worry about flights and such. All he had to do was load his horse onto the float and drive back to Yorkshire where he was renting a stable complex.
 
All had said their goodbyes and exchanged `phone numbers and email addresses so they could keep in touch. Kyle was planning on coming back to Australia for a visit in the future and promised to let everyone know when he was flying down under.
 
The large horse box pulled up and the task of getting the horses and gear loaded began.
 
The trip to the airport was uneventful, the cars provided for the team to ride in remained behind the horse box all the way, something Heero was grateful for. Not that he didn't trust the driver of the box, he just liked to be the one to drive when his horse was concerned.
 
Noin dealt with the officials at the stock transport section of the airport, having everyone's paperwork in order and handing over all relevant documents. The horses were checked by the airport vet, even though they had a clear health certificate signed by Duo. It was protocol.
 
Once the horses had all passed their checks, they were led to a holding yard whilst the humans went through the routine of immigration and customs checks. Heero had suffered more than the others due to his dual gold medal wins, the airport staff wanting to congratulate him, have a few words or a photo taken and take a peek at the gray stallion who'd captured so many hearts with his courage.
 
Eventually the checks were all complete and the luggage taken away leaving just the team, the horses and their hand luggage. The travel crates were brought out from the belly of the plane and the loading of the horses commenced. Lion walked calmly into his stall, the gate closing behind him. Shinigami snorted a bit, pranced around and then decided it was all too much effort and walked quietly in beside an ever patient Heero.
 
Romeo decided he didn't like the looks of those crates one little bit and refused to go anywhere near them. He could see his fellow companions inside them but it didn't do anything to persuade him to walk into one. After trying unsuccessfully for almost an hour to get Romeo into the stall, the ground crew were starting to get agitated. The plane was due to leave in forty-five minutes and they still had to get the crates into the cargo hold, bolt them down and check all was in order.
 
Having witnessed enough, Duo stepped forward and spoke with Treize, advising the man the best thing to do would be to give Romeo a mild sedative. Treize agreed and Duo filled out the necessary paperwork, getting Noin and the airport vet to sign as witnesses. Paperwork dealt with, Duo quickly filled a syringe, swabbed the stallion's neck and injected the sedative.
 
It worked fast. Within five minutes, Romeo was starting to relax, his eyes glazed a little and whilst he wasn't falling over, he was a touch unsteady on his legs. Treize took a firm hold of the stallion's halter and brought him to the stall again. This time Romeo didn't bother to pull away or put up a fight of any sort. He walked calmly and docilely into the stall beside Treize.
 
Everyone had breathed a sigh of relief.
 
The human cargo took their seats after checking their animals were secure and the flight took off only two minutes late.
 
The flight back was long and boring in Duo's opinion. Heero slept for quite a bit of it, Duo started to read a book and when he tired of that he engaged Treize in a few games of poker. Several trips were made to the cargo area of the plane to check on the horses, all of which were traveling very well. Romeo and Shini were dozing for most of the trip, Romeo due to the sedative and Shini because he liked to doze at any opportunity. Lion was content to munch on his hay net, the movement and noise of the aircraft not bothering him in the least.
 
When they touched down at Sydney airport it was the early hours of the morning. Once more all the paperwork was produced, horses checked and then loaded onto a waiting horse truck that would take them to the quarantine facility. All the boxes of gear were x-rayed and then added to the truck to be quarantined as well.
 
Treize had called ahead the previous day from England and arranged for Otto to drop his car off at the airport so he would have some form of transport. Otto had taken the gooseneck back to the stables after their departure to England. Heero hoped his float and car were still parked and safe in the car park of the livestock transport section. Fortunately it was and once they'd cleared customs and immigration, suffered through the congratulations that were now starting to become a part of their lives, the group headed out to their respective vehicles.
 
All followed the transport truck to the quarantine facility, not because they didn't trust the people there, but they wanted to make sure their horses would be looked after properly in their absence. Joe was going to remain with Romeo and offered to keep an eye on Shini and Lion too.
 
With the horses all taken care of, it was time to make the long drive back home. Zoe and Michael were wished good bye, promises of staying in touch reaffirmed. Heero and Treize parted, Treize having given Heero another two weeks vacation time to recover from the games. Zechs wasn't due back until later that evening as he'd had to catch a passenger flight.
 
It was mid morning by the time the pair were half way home. They stopped for lunch at a small cafe on the way and Heero took over driving so Duo could get some sleep. By the time they reached the outskirts of Salsbury it was two in the afternoon.
 
The familiar landscape rolled by, both men feeling a little excited at being back home again. Heero was looking forward to seeing his horses again and idly mused on how much Wing would have grown in his absence. Smokey would have grown too.
 
When the familiar driveway came into view, Heero felt contentment wash over him.
 
It was good to be back home.
 
* * *
 
“They're here,” Catherine announced as she peeked out from the kitchen window.
 
Hilde grabbed her around the waist and pulled her away from the window. “Quiet and stop peeking, you don't want them to see you and spoil the surprise, do you?”
 
Catherine giggled and let her girlfriend pull her into the lounge room to hide with Trowa and Quatre. They heard the car doors slam and then the sound of luggage being dragged towards the back door. The scraping of a key in the lock and all four held their breath.
 
“Man it's good to be back home, hey Heero?” Duo said as they walked into the kitchen and he tossed his keys to the table.
 
Heero dumped his suitcase next to Duo's and pulled the vet into a warm hug, kissing him senseless at the same time. “Now it feels like home.”
 
A gray bullet shot out of the lounge room and immediately entwined itself around both mens legs. “Smokey!” Duo exclaimed and as Heero released him he bent to pick up the cat. “Shit, you've grown,” he noted as the cat purred and butted her head against Duo's chin. Heero reached over and scratched the cat behind the ears, Smokey purring all the louder and squirming in Duo's arms in her obvious delight at seeing her masters again.
 
“Surprise!”
 
The yell and sudden appearance of their friends from the lounge room frightened the living daylights out of both men and Duo almost dropped the cat.
 
“Shit! Give me a heart attack next time,” Duo gasped, but the smile was on his face. Releasing Smokey, he caught Hilde in a hug.
 
Heero was in a similar state of shock which soon changed to one of warmth as Catherine hugged him close and welcomed him home. Once the girls had their few moments, Quatre and Trowa stepped forward to offer their congratulations and welcome the pair back.
 
Once all the pleasantries had been exchanged, the group settled down in the lounge room to catch up. The four who had remained behind wanted to know all the details of their trip, how Heero had coped with nerves, how he'd felt when he'd won both gold medals and what he thought of England. They were also keen to see those medals and Heero duly produced them for everyone to `ooh and ahh' over. Duo was similarly quizzed, although Hilde wanted to know what he'd had to do as the team vet too.
 
Duo was keen to learn how the practice had been whilst he'd been away and asked numerous questions of Catherine and Hilde. Heero was discussing his horses with Trowa and Quatre and hearing all about how the new shelter was coming along.
 
After three hours, the group had pretty much talked themselves out. Quatre had told Heero about the proposed welcome home parade in his honor and surprisingly, Heero hadn't run for the hills. He'd objected of course, saying he wasn't a hero at all, just happened to have a lot of luck on his side at the time. Quatre had slyly pointed out that many of the people that had donated to his Olympic fundraising would want to see him and congratulate him. When Quatre put it that way, Heero really couldn't refuse.
 
The parade had been scheduled for three weeks time which would give Shinigami enough time to be out of quarantine and settled back home. Heero agreed on the date and Quatre said he would let the mayor know and get back to him with the final details.
 
Hilde and Catherine bade their farewells as they had evening consults, Duo wasn't starting back for another couple of days yet as he'd need the time to readjust to the time zone and get caught up on what had been going on in the practice itself whilst he'd been away. Heero wasn't due back at Treize's for another two weeks so he would have time to catch up on the practice paperwork and sort out his horses. Quatre and Trowa also left after informing Heero that all the stable work was done, feeds in and it only needed the horses bringing in.
 
After thanking their friends numerous times, the pair were left alone to unpack and resettle themselves.
 
* * *
 
Heero had rung the quarantine station every day for the two weeks to see how Shinigami was. The report was always the same. The stallion was doing well, no problems at all and Joe was coping well with not just Romeo, but keeping Shini and Lion amused as well.
 
The day Heero had been waiting for had finally rolled around and with much joy in his heart, he hitched up the float to go and get his horse. Duo went with him, just as eager to see Shini again.
 
It was a full day's traveling; two hours drive to the station, the wait whilst all the official paperwork was completed and then loading all of Heero's gear which had also been quarantined into the car and lastly they could load Shini on and drive home.
 
The stallion could sense he was going home and all but dragged Heero into the float with his eagerness. Duo laughed as Heero's head just missed colliding with the front bar in the float, the rider only just managing to duck at the last moment. He'd hit his head several times on that bar and knew it wasn't forgiving. The last thing he needed was to be driving home with the headache from hell.
 
With Shini and the gear loaded, they thanked the quarantine staff and also Joe for looking after the gray. Joe was being picked up a little later along with Romeo. Zoe had already collected Lion.
 
When they arrived back at the practice, there was another welcoming committee waiting for them; and it wasn't just Trowa, Quatre, Hilde and Catherine. The local feed truck was parked there as well. Duo got out of the car and gave the feed truck a quizzical look before turning to look at Heero. The rider shrugged his shoulders, he wasn't any the wiser either. He knew he hadn't ordered any feed as he'd had a delivery the week before and was still fully stocked.
 
The answer came a few minutes later.
 
Quatre emerged from the stables with the feed merchant, chatting away and handing over cash at the same time. When he spotted Heero and Duo, he bid the feed merchant farewell and with an innocent look on his face, crossed over to where the rest of the group were starting to unload Shinigami and all the gear.
 
“What's the feed merchant doing here?” Duo asked as he undid the tail chain so Shini could walk off the float.
 
“I'll explain it all once Shini's inside,” replied Quatre with a sheepish smile.
 
Duo frowned but didn't say anything more.
 
As Shini came off the float his ears were pricked and nostrils flaring as he took in all the familiar scents of home. He let fly with a piercing neigh, Zero, Angel and Wing all answering him from their respective stables. Quatre ended up putting his hands over his ears as the `symphony' continued. Duo stuck his fingers in his ears, Trowa, Hilde and Catherine all backed up several paces to a more comfortable `hearing' space whilst poor Heero couldn't do anything but put up with it.
 
The noise toned down quite a bit when Heero managed to get Shini into the stable block and his stall. Low whinnies, snorts and grunts were exchanged between the equines, the humans all watching in amusement. With the horses having all reacquainted themselves, Duo turned on Quatre again, demanding to know what the feed merchant had been doing there.
 
“Please don't be mad at me, Heero, but I wanted to do something for my horsey nephew. He was so good, jumping his heart out for you and his country that I thought he deserved a little present. It's in the feed shed.” Quatre turned away, biting his lip.
 
Heero raised an eyebrow and looked at Duo who shrugged his shoulders, the pair walking off to the feed shed to see what Quatre had been up to.
 
“Shit!” exclaimed Duo.
 
“Fuck me!” Heero stated, his eyes wide. “Quatre! Get in here, now!”
 
“It's only a little something,” Quatre protested.
 
“Little? I think there's enough here to supply the entire state!” Heero said as he shook his head.
 
The rest of the group crowded around the doorway, peering inside, eyes widening when they saw bag upon bag of carrots all stacked neatly in one corner.
 
“There must be about thirty or forty bags here,” Duo said, still unable to comprehend what he was seeing.
 
“Fifty actually,” Quatre supplied. “I know how much Shini loves them and well, he was such a good boy. Please don't be mad at me.” Quatre looked at the floor and scuffed a shoe.
 
“Oh, Quatre, I'm not mad at you,” Heero said, his tone soft. “Surprised, overwhelmed, yes, but not mad. It's a bit of a shock, not to mention just how many do you think Shini eats in a day? He won't possibly get through all of those before they start to go off.”
 
“Sure he will,” Quatre replied, his good humor returning. “You can share them between him and the others.”
 
“At least you won't have to worry about any of the horses having poor eyesight,” Duo snickered to Heero.
 
~ End Flashback ~
 
“Yeah, Quat did go a little overboard with the carrots,” Duo said with a laugh.
 
“Overboard?!” Heero snorted. “All the horses nearly suffered with carrot overload!”
 
“Ah well, he meant well though.”
 
“Yeah, he did.”
 
“At least the parade wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be,” Duo said with a smile.
 
“Only because Treize got hauled in too, and you.” Heero replied.
 
“It was kinda fun, being treated like a celebrity and all,” Duo said, his eyes going dreamy as he thought back to the parade.
 
~ Flashback ~
 
The mayor had personally phoned and asked Heero, Treize and Duo to attend the parade in their honor. All had agreed. The day was a sunny but mild one, which Heero was grateful for. Nothing worse than having it rain on your parade, as Duo had told him.
 
The parade had taken place down the main street of Salsbury and finished in the main park of the town where a marquee had been set up along with a stage. Treize had offered to pick Heero and his horse up and take them with Romeo in his gooseneck; Heero accepted.
 
Treize and Heero rode Romeo and Shini down the main street wearing their full, Australian uniform and the gold medals. Duo followed behind in a specially provided car, also wearing his official uniform. Once they reached the park, the mayor welcomed them home and gave a short speech on how proud the citizens of Salsbury were to have not just one, but two Olympic gold medalists in their community and also a very talented vet.
 
Heero had blushed at all the praise, feeling like a fraud, but Duo and Treize had thoroughly enjoyed all the attention. All three gave a short speech, thanking the mayor and citizens for their support before the horses were taken to one side and the people crowded around to meet and speak with their `heroes'. After an hour, the horses were starting to show signs of being restless, so Otto and Joe took them back to the gooseneck and then back to their respective homes whilst Treize, Heero and Duo stayed at the function in their honor.
 
The park was transformed into a sort of `alfresco' area, tables and chairs appearing out of nowhere. The marquee had lots of delicious smells coming from it and the guys soon discovered what they were. The entire town had gotten together and all cooked up something. There was a huge buffet set up in the marquee and several barbecues all sizzling away.
 
It was one huge party.
 
~ End Flashback ~
 
“Guess I should start bringing the horses in,” Heero said with a sigh.
 
“You want a hand?”
 
“Sure, if you don't mind.”
 
“Since when have I minded? I wouldn't offer if I didn't want to help,” Duo chuckled.
 
Heero gave his lover a friendly punch to the shoulder and they went to fetch Shini and Wing. Heero led the older stallion, Duo bringing in the colt. Once both were inside the stables, Duo fetched Angel whilst Heero brought in Zero. The senior stallion walked calmly beside his master and into his stable. Heero gave him a pat and fed him a few carrots.
 
With Duo's help, the horses were soon rugged and comfortable and Heero slid the large door across and set the alarm system. It was almost dark by now and the pair wandered back to the house, hand in hand.
 
Dinner was finished and the pair sat curled up against each other on the couch, a movie was playing on the television but neither man was really watching it. Duo was running his hand idly along Heero's arm whilst Heero's hand was gently threading through Duo's long hair, hair he'd managed to talk the vet into leaving down after his shower.
 
“What happens now, Heero?” Duo asked, his voice low and husky.
 
“I was thinking of dragging you off to bed and having my wicked way with you,” Heero replied.
 
Duo snickered. “I wasn't talking about that. I meant with the horses and all.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“Well, you have achieved your dream of riding for your country and winning a gold medal. I'd say that's going to be a tough act to follow, in fact, I don't think you could beat it,” Duo smiled.
 
“You're right, it is pretty much the pinnacle.” Heero fell silent for a moment as he thought. “I'm still learning a lot from Treize and riding his horses, and I have Wing coming up to concentrate on, plus Shini has got a few more years in him yet at the top of his field...”
 
“Is this your way of saying you're hoping to ride in another Olympics?”
 
“Would you support me if I said yes?”
 
Duo leaned in and stole a shattering kiss. “Does that answer your question?”
 
“Mmm. I think it does.” Heero fell silent again.
 
“There's more though, isn't there?” Duo had learnt by now how to read Heero and the rider's body language was telling him there was more Heero wanted to say.
 
“Actually, there is.” Heero took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “I've often thought how much I'd like to have my own stables and team of jumpers; something similar to what Treize and Michael have. Breed some of my own, get them going, keep the top ones and sell the other ones on. I'd like to try some teaching too, and maybe take in other horses to school and ride.”
 
That sounded like a pretty reasonable idea to Duo. “What's stopping you?”
 
Heero pulled himself upright and looked into his lover's eyes. “It wouldn't be fair to you to set something like that up here, besides the fact that it would take up too much of the space you need for any animals that require hospitalization, to set up what I dream about would require a lot more land.” Seeing Duo's brows knitting together, Heero continued quickly. “I'm not about to go out and purchase somewhere either as I refuse to be parted from you.”
 
“Are you sure that's something you would like to do?”
 
“Hai, it is, but not at the expense of putting our relationship on the line and the only properties that I've found that would be suitable are miles away. I can't buy something like that and not be on the premises should something happen.”
 
Knowing exactly what Heero was trying to say, Duo pulled the rider into a hug. “I appreciate what you're saying, Heero, but it would be something else if you could do that.”
 
“Not if I don't have you with me and I won't let you give up the practice,” Heero countered.
 
“Heero, what if I were to suggest something.”
 
Blue eyes met with violet. “I don't see how...”
 
“Hush, let me finish.”
 
“Sorry.”
 
“I was going to say, you know old man Ferguson? The one whose property runs along the back of mine?”
 
“Hai?”
 
“Well, I was talking with a client the other day and they said that Ferguson is going to be putting his place on the market very soon. He's too old to run the farm any longer and wants to get out. With no sons to pass the farm onto and his daughter is already married to another farmer who has a large holding in the next county, he's going to sell it.”
 
Heero raised an eyebrow.
 
“I thought if were the right price, you or we could buy it. The farm buildings could be turned into stables easily enough and the runway that passes between the paddocks here could be carried on down to link up with the other property. It wouldn't take a lot to re-fence those paddocks and we could always rent out the house on it, or if you employed any staff, let them live in it.” Duo shut up then, thinking he'd said too much.
 
Heero was silent, mulling the idea over in his mind.
 
“I'm sorry, I shouldn't have dumped all that on you...”
 
“No, no, Duo. It's quite all right. You know, the idea does have a lot of potential.” Heero sat straighter. “I'd like to think on it a bit more though, go see Ferguson and get an idea of what he would be asking for the place, have a look around and see what could be done; but it certainly warrants looking into more.”
 
“Well, you're the facts and figures guy, I'm just the country vet who can't control his computer.”
 
Heero laughed. “I don't know about that. From what Catherine told me you've been having a lot of success with Nrobbuts lately.”
 
“Only if you count turning it on and off as success,” Duo quipped with a grin. “I still say it hates me and I'd love to fry its circuits.”
 
“How about you come to bed with me and I'll fry yours?” Heero stole a kiss, one that involved a lot of tongue and soon had them both breathless.
 
“I think I could handle that. I like the sound of you playing with my solenoids,” Duo panted.
“Oh, I want to do more than that. I want to turn your soft ware into hard ware and have your data uploaded into my file. I want your external drive to transfer into my internal one -”
 
“Whoa, Heero. You know how much that geek talk is turning me on?” Duo groaned and took Heero's hand to place it over his swelling erection.
 
Heero grinned. “I was hoping this floppy wouldn't stay that way for long,” he said as he squeezed firmly.
 
Duo groaned again and moving fast, he was up off the couch and dragging Heero towards the bedroom. “Come on, tease. I want to plug myself in.”
 
“My socket is ready and waiting,” Heero snickered and then yelped as he was thrown to the bed.
 
Clothes were removed swiftly and Duo quickly had two fingers inside his lover's passage, working the muscles and loosening his partner. Heero moaned and writhed beneath him, hands darting up from time to time to play with Duo's body.
 
When Heero was ready, Duo entered him in one thrust, pausing for them both to adjust and then setting up a rhythm. He started slow, stroking Heero's channel with each forward push and driving the rider nearly to tears with the pleasure.
 
As the tempo increased, Heero's body caught fire. He tingled from his head to his toes, body flushed and sweating as his arousal climbed higher and higher. The familiar warmth began to spread throughout his body and expanded further when Duo grasped his erection and began to stroke him firmly.
 
“Oh, gods, Duo. I can't...”
“That's it, baby. Let go. Fly with me,” Duo encouraged as his own orgasm touched the fringes of his consciousness.
 
Another two pumps to his cock and Heero was screaming Duo's name as he fell into the abyss.
 
The heat was unbelievable and when Heero's sheath began to spasm and ripple around his cock, Duo let himself go and welcomed his release. A keening cry left his lips as his seed left his cock, shooting deep into Heero's channel whilst Heero continued to make a mess with his own semen over their respective stomachs.
 
Finally they both came back to earth, sated and exhausted.
 
They cleaned themselves up and then snuggled together under the warmth of the blankets. Heero seemed to drop off to sleep fairly quickly. Duo held the dark haired rider close to his chest and pressed a soft kiss to that crown of chocolate.
 
“You'll have your dreams, Heero,” he whispered. “You've already proven you have the drive and determination to make them a reality. And I'll be with you all the way. I love you.”
 
A smile crossed Heero's face as he teetered between wakefulness and sleep. He'd heard Duo's words and knew the vet meant them. He would see his dreams come to fruition, how could they not when he had the drive and ambition to succeed? He also had one other, most important thing...
 
Duo.
 
* * *
 
The moon shone her pale light down on the property, beams penetrating the stables and giving them a soft glow.
 
Angel lay curled up in her stall, eyes closed and sleeping peacefully. Shinigami dozed standing up in his stable. Young Wing lay stretched out in the shavings, pictures of show jumps playing in his head. Shini had told him all about his adventures and young Wing was eager to be as good, if not better than his older, half brother.
 
Zero stood in his stable, resting one hind leg, eyes half closed as he kept a watch over his `herd'. The moonlight played over the dapples in his gray coat, bathing him in an ethereal glow.
 
He sniffed the air, scenting his fellow equines and settling his mind that all was well with them. He blew softly through his nostrils and thought of his master and the nice human who gave him carrots. He felt at peace, he could sense his master was happy and it was the other human that made him happy.
 
Zero couldn't have asked for anything more.
 
Some people say horses are dumb creatures and cannot think for themselves.
 
They obviously have never spent time with an equine.
 
~ Fin ~
 

AN: This is the conclusion to the Equine Intervention Arc, however, there will be a few side fics later on down the track. I've thoroughly enjoyed writing this arc of fics and will seriously miss this universe. During the course of the 3 fics, I lost my beloved Teddy Bear, my little show jumper whom Zero was based upon. Those of you that have been involved with horses and those of you that have had a dear pet, will know just how heart wrenching this can be. Bear was much more than a horse to me, he was my best friend. This arc of fics is my way of paying tribute to him and through Zero, Bear will always be with me. And yes, he did love his carrots.
 
The arc was started in 2004 after a suggestion by my dear friend, Klingonpoodle. At that stage I didn't know it would end up being a 3 fic arc and take 6 years to write. My heartfelt thanks go to Leslie and Karina for their unwavering support, and to Yami_tai who gave me the Equinity title and betaed for me until about 5 months ago. Thanks also to Sakura for taking over the daunting task of being my beta and putting up with my appalling grammar and spelling errors. Without those two, this arc wouldn't be half what it is.
 
Finally, thank you to all of you, my readers, for your continued support and feedback. Your comments have meant the world to me and I appreciate them all. No matter how good a fic seems to be to yourself when you write it, it's nothing at all if people don't want to read or comment on it.
 
As Heero would say; `You, my readers, are my gold medal.'
 
Thank you all.
 
Shen ^_^