Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Hiding in the Darkness ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hiding in the Darkness
Written By: Lady Eclipse



Upon a wide stage made of the finest wood a woman stood speaking hopeful words with emphatic eyes. Blindingly bright lights glared upon her pale figure and white suit making her seem almost ethereal and impossibly fragile. But behind the glaring spotlights upon a balcony shrouded with dark curtains and even darker shadows stood a man with gleaming, blue eyes. There is a look in his eyes that suggests that an infinite universe dwells within them. The way his eyes shift is like the shifting of light from distant and omniscient stars. They are cold and empty yet sad, sad for the loss of innocence, kindness, and trust. They are eyes that mourn for a humanity that was ripped from them in the first blossom of youth. They are eyes that have seen the bloodiest and cruelest of deaths, the most horrific of atrocities created by careless and bloodthirsty hands, and the most calculated and coldest assassinations of the wide-eyed youth. Yet those eyes now watch the innocent with envy and the burning desire to protect them from the cruelty he suffered. It is with these sad, hungry eyes that he watches the most pure of all. She whose gentle wisdom and open warmth lured him like the first bright day of spring. His eyes unerringly fasten upon she who gave as much of herself as he in their quest for peace and continued to submit herself totally to the demands of society. He was now free of his burden and his responsibilities. He was free to go where he pleased, do as he wished. Yet he was drawn to a silent and never-ending vigilance of the sovereign of peace. Her timeless elegance, poise, and genuine passion drew many to her banner. Her stern yet welcoming voice called the politicians and the people alike out of their wartime stupor. Her intensity broke through traditions and awoke people from their mindless hatred. In her youth, her purity, the people saw hope for a peace they had thought lost forever. She brought forth a solution long ignored as too idealistic and made it real. Her bright eyes and open heart gave hope that the ancient schism between earth and space might be healed. It was this same woman with empathy and wisdom far beyond her meager years that drew to her brilliant light the most lost of men. One lost to indifference and the death tide of the soldier and assassin was attracted to her silence that was filled with an understanding beyond any other. She looked at her killer full in the eyes and tried to save his soul. It was in her eyes of warmth and compassion that he saw his salvation and his damnation. It was she alone that he shadowed desperate for her eyes and all that was behind them yet feared their liberating glance. Unknown in the background he ever strives to protect her from those who would darken those serene depths and forsake the fragile world.
Does this goddess know of her solemn guardian? Can she know how much power she holds over the deadliest of men? Her poise is relaxed and confident and her voice is firm and strong. Does she know how much he loves her? Does she even know he still haunts her steps and watches her sleep? He who has not openly shown himself to her in so long. Her beautiful eyes sweep the audience as they applaud mindlessly for her presence; her fame out-shines her words in such dull company. Her eyes alight on a shadow seeking refuse in the darkness cast by a curtain. She makes no motion although her eyes glimmer before they move on. The great woman nods demurely to the crowd and delicately escapes the stage with measured steps that are soon flanked by politicians offstage. She sends a final glance at the now empty balcony and her eyes glimmer again.

.Of course she knows.


* * *


In the semi-darkness of her room Relena sat at the edge of her bed while leisurely brushing her hair. The only light came from a single lamp on her nightstand that surrounded her with a soft pool of light and left the rest of the room shrouded in the gentle darkness of the night. Her confining suit had long ago been cast aside along with the rigid self-control that she wore that was just as restricting. Her hair now smooth and hanging free, Relena put her brush down and leaned back on her hands and closed her eyes allowing herself her weariness. Somewhere behind her a piece of the darkness detached itself from the rest and moved forward with controlled grace. It approached slowly and warily like a wolf sneaking up upon its prey. Once it reached the edge of the bed behind the blissfully unaware Vice-Foreign Minister and the edge of the small pool of light it paused. Tilting its head thoughtfully it regarded the soft figure before it for long moments. Then, with exaggerated slowness, it leaned forward and rested its hands upon the mattress. With deliberate and precise motions it crawled onto the yielding surface causing a dip and the unaware woman to fall backward temporarily losing her balance. A surprised gasp escaped her lips as her back fell flat upon the mattress and she found herself looking up into a pair of shadowed blue eyes.
"Heero." She whispered into the darkness. Heero placed his hands on either side of her head and lowered his head until his lips were inches above hers.
"Relena." He breathed and allowed his eyes to close in bliss. Her hands came up to caress his face with tender softness.
"You're always hiding from me." She mused with a sadness softened by acceptance. Heero reluctantly opened his eyes and lost himself to the luminous spirit that danced behind her thoughtful eyes. "You always hide in the darkness where I can't see you but you can see me." She smiled faintly, "Are you afraid of me?"
"Hn." He kissed her with a with a quiet hunger that filled the air around them.

Was he afraid of her? Was he afraid of her spirit that could bring a strong man to his knees and melt the coldest of hearts with her smile? Did he fear that maybe she loved him just as much as he loved her? Did he fear returning to the light when it was his skill in the darkness which kept her safe? Heero deepened the kiss with a sudden desperate restlessness, a need to touch and be surrounded by the comforting glow of her essence.

Of course he did.