Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Love Among the Ruins ❯ Always Free ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I never have and I never will own Gundam Wing. I'm not that fortunate. :P And of course, the "negative content" in this story isn't too much different from PG-13 movies.

Pairings: 1xR? 2xH? 1xH? This will be a mystery to the end. ^_^

Surprises: There are some. That's all there is to it. ^_^

Genres: Drama, angst, some fluff, and other delightful things.

Warnings: Since this is an operafic, my characters will be even more emotional than they would be as in the original series, so they might be OOC.

AN: A shout out to my beta Daniel, and everyone else who reviewed my fics. Thanks for the love. ^_^ The brackets indicate opera libretto.

Gundam Wing: Love Among the Ruins

Act 3: Always Free

By Sailor Celaeno

"Paris? Ah the city of Romance," noted Dr. Carlyle.

"Romantic?" Hilde answered wryly. "Romantic for who?"

"It seems you will have to explain for me. After all, I'm not involved with your story. I'm here to give you a little encouragement." Carlyle frowned at his patient. "We still have the time."

Hilde had been facing the doctor while he spoke. She turned up to the ceiling as she though she was watching someone up there. "It's funny doc, the way time works. It always feels like you have the time to do everything you've ever dreamed of. But then, you wake up and something is missing." She glanced back at the attentive therapist.

[One fine day, we will see a strand of smoke rising over the far horizon on the sea]

Hilde stared the father-like doctor listening to her sad voice. "You wake up and everything is different. You can almost see… far away… you swear you can see the person you have held so tightly to."

[And I wait for a long time but I don't grow weary of the long wait]

Hilde had the brightest smile on her face. "I can picture him… walking to my cubicle at headquarters with flowers or something. He'd have the biggest grin on his face. Almost like I was the only one he smiled to like that…"

[I with secure faith wait for him]

The smile slowly faded. "Even now I still sometimes wait to hear his footsteps down the hallway… And when I'm at home, I'll pull his clothes out of the closet. I lay them out on the bed. I stare at and touch them. I even smell them. I want to find the scent of him… but the scent is disappearing. Time is making them disappear. Am I going crazy?" Hilde said as tears started welling up.

Carlyle gave her a kind smile and another tissue. "Of course not. People that love never forget."

Hilde wiped her eyes. "But… I did forget, doc. For those few moments in Paris… I forgot him."

*****

[Abandoned in this populated desert that they call Paris]

Paris. Lovely Paris. So inviting and free. No wonder it was famous for affairs of the heart. There was love everywhere. Such a lovely feeling it was. "Just too bad Heero isn't getting enough of it," Hilde sighed. She couldn't help watching those two unfulfilled lovers. Relena had confided in her about her frustrations. It was about time that she did something about it.

"Hey Heero," Hilde said cheerfully.

"Hello Hilde. Something the matter?" he asked.

"Just want to talk to you about security detail."

Heero was puzzled, but the insistent look on Hilde's face got his attention. "Fine." He got up and followed her to the balcony of the large suite that Relena got for himself, Hilde and Duo at the hotel they stayed at.

Hilde lead him to the railing. In the distance they could see the Seine weaving through its familiar course. Heero admired the view as a quiet breeze blew by. "What's the matter with you?" she broke the silence.

"What?" Heero asked at the unusual question.

"You heard me, Heero Yuy. I've never seen two people more in love and in denial than you and Relena. Explain yourself, Preventer Yuy," she said with an annoyed tone in her voice.

"How is it that women know these things?" Heero thought. He was silent for a moment before he replied, "Where do you get things like this?"

Hilde looked at him with a look of disbelief. "I don't believe this. How could you do this to poor Relena, knowing how she feels about you?"

Heero watched the spirited girl vent her irritation. He started to see what Duo saw. A woman who knew what she wanted. "Why are you…"

Hilde glared at the handsome but ignorant man beside her. "I'm Relena's friend. I hate seeing her so miserable. You tease her with your care and concern. But then you pull back. How could you do this her?"

[Folly! Folly! What sort of crazy dream is this?!]

Heero looked into those persistent eyes. "I don't know how to tell her. Whatever I try to… I can't say them."

Hilde frowned. "What is it with you two?" she grumbled to herself silently. "Why can't you just say what's in your heart? That's all any woman wants from the one she loves. `I Love you.' Just three words and you'll never worry about telling her how you feel ever again."

Heero was silent again. He just leaned on the railing. The new breeze was blowing at his back. He stared at the flowing river in the distance.

Hilde put a hand on his shoulder. "Just think about what I said huh?" She looked hopefully at the silent man. "Look… Relena has that conference tomorrow. We should get some sleep. Good night, Heero."

*****

[My secret lies hidden within me]

"Well, then the next day Relena got sick, and… well, Heero told her how he felt. At least that's what Relena told me." Hilde had a small smile. "You should have seen her face glowing like a bride on her wedding day. I could only imagine what he said to her. But it's really strange, doc. Just a few days later… all that joy disappeared…"

*****

[When will I love you?]

Relena had recovered in time for the ambassador's ball. To end the week-long conference with a lighter note, an ambassador's ball was held in the famous city of Lights and romance. Which meant Heero had to accompany her. No way was anyone else going to waltz with her, especially with her fragile health. She had been in Paris talking to diplomats and representatives from the developing Mars colony. More and more trouble was brewing every day. Heero, while he was watching for Relena's safety, had been listening to the discussions. There were rumors of syndicates moving to Mars and organizing control over legitimate businesses. It seemed strange, that even in A.C. 201, Earth still had an organized crime problem. This sort of thing was completely out of Preventers' jurisdiction. Unless organized crime was threatening the stability of ESUN, Preventers was forced to leave it in the hands of the Martian Orbital Patrol Service, or MOPS as it was commonly known. MOPS' jurisdiction was any and all crime on Mars. The senior members of MOPS' hierarchy were Preventers that were transferred to Mars, including Preventers Wind and Fire.

Relena was confident that MOPS could handle the problem knowing her brother and Noin were among the agents in charge. Heero felt the same way, but he had the suspicion that there was something awry.

"I'm very concerned about Relena."

Hilde had listened to her friend. Her dear friend. "Why am I not surprised," she said with a knowing smile.

"I'm being serious, Hilde. Relena has a lot on her shoulders. I had to put her to bed. She was up until 3 last night drafting resolutions to deal with Mars. She's not well, you know."

[He who, so modest and attentive during my illness,]

"What did the doctors say?" Hilde asked with concern.

Heero could see such worry and fear in her soft eyes. They looked at him with fervently hoping that all was not as dire as it appeared. Heero frowned. "If only I could be so certain," he thought silently. "They say that she really needs to go on vacation and relax. The stress is weakening her immune response. I was tempted to tie her down to get her to rest. But she insisted that the Mars situation needed her attention." Heero sighed. He stared at Hilde, whose eyes were still on him, listening to every word he said. Her eyes were still filled with concern. "I swear she's going to kill herself with all this work."

Hilde reached over and put her hand on his. "I know Heero. I'm scared for her. She's going to hurt herself, staying up at odd hours like she's been doing. And she's already ill…"

Heero put hand on her shoulder. "I know. I'm going to do what I can to make her see reason. But you have to do what you can too."

Hilde nodded. "I'll do what I can." Hilde had a slight smile on her face. "After all, she and I have something in common."

"What's that?" Heero asked.

Hilde patted his hand. "We're both in love with a Gundam pilot." Hilde stood up and wished Heero "a good day." She left him to his thoughts.

*****

Heero waited by the grand staircase at the lobby. Actually, he wasn't alone. Duo was anxiously waiting as well. "I'd never picture I'd go to a fancy ambassadors' ball. But… princess was nice enough to get Hilde and me invites." Duo flashed a jovial smile at Heero. "But who could turn down an invite from a beautiful woman?"

Heero wasn't sure he liked that last statement. Duo already had a perfectly beautiful woman of his own: Hilde. How could anyone not like Hilde? She's brave, dedicated to peace, a good friend, warm, sociable… has very kind eyes… Heero frowned. Kind eyes? Why would he be thinking about Hilde's eyes? The only eyes he was thinking about was Relena's. She has such gentle, loving eyes that loved him dearly. He knew that.

"Speaking of beautiful women…" Duo trailed as he walked onto the bottom step. Hilde appeared at the top with a beautiful ice-blue ball gown. Her hair had small flower hair pins, and she wore a matching crystal necklace that Relena let her borrow. She had a hint of body glitter on her neck. She had a light dusting of eye shadow, eyeliner and a coating of dark colored gloss. "I think I found my Cinderella," Duo said as he stole a quick kiss.

Hilde laughed, "Be careful there, Prince Charming… to avoid smudging Cinderella's makeup."

Heero couldn't help watching Hilde and Duo together. They seemed so happy. Hilde's laughter was warm and inviting. Her eyes sparkled with merriment. Just like Relena's did the other night. Relena?

By the time Heero looked at the staircase again, Relena was already halfway down the stairs. Heero felt guilty. He didn't see her at the top, and she was alone. He had wanted to hold her arm as support, but instead Relena got a cold metallic handrail. She wore a pale white dress that was glistening in the light. Her hair looked particularly golden blonde that evening, like the moon was the source of her beauty. She was serene and almost quiet as she made her way down. She only had eyeliner and mascara with a coating of pale pink gloss. Her pale blue eyes were all the color she really needed on her face. Even though she hadn't gotten much sleep in days, one could hardly tell. While her face wasn't as vivacious as Hilde's, she had such a hopeful, happy glow. Radiant was the word for her.

[I am like the moon goddess, the little goddess of the moon]

"Relena…" Heero reached for her hand.

Relena accepted his hand and she tugged on her matching shawl.

Heero helped her and he lightly brushed his fingertips against her partially exposed back. Relena gasped and shivered slightly. Heero held her by the arms. "Something wrong?"

"No. I'm fine. I'm fine…" she gave him a kind smile.

Heero took one arm in his. "All right then," he said as he led her to the hotel entrance. Duo and Hilde followed suit. They both couldn't help but smile at the romantic exchange between their friends.

*****

[Let us drink from the goblets of joy, adorned with beauty]

Entering that ballroom was like stepping back into time. It was as though time couldn't take away the magnificence of an age where love, and not war, was on the minds of the partygoers. There was champagne and wine corks popping every few minutes. There was the clinking of glasses, toasting many wishes of love, and good fortune. The dance floor was filled with beautiful fabrics and their beautiful owners dancing the night away. The sounds of swirling skirts and light tappings of shoes on the floor could barely be heard over the din of people clustered about the room, chattering away about their business and other things. The dancers turned and swayed to the small orchestra, letting the music and the movement of their own feet carry them away from their own worries.

Hilde was amazed and enchanted by the sights in that room. This was the stuff of old novels. She almost wished she was like Relena. She wished she could be invited to balls, dancing the night away with a handsome man at her side. Hilde frowned. She was sitting at the table. Duo and Heero were getting food and drinks for the four of them. Relena's attention was diverted by the appearance of an old Peacecraft family associate. Hilde was seriously bored. Not only couldn't she go have a dance, but her friend was practically dragged away from her. She watched all those happy couples glide across the floor. They were laughing at their own private jokes. They had eyes filled with love and admiration for their partners. Hilde stared forlornly wishing that Duo would hurry back so she could have that dance she had been itching for all day.

"I'm sorry Hilde. Viscount Desmond hadn't seen anyone from the Peacecraft family in years…" began Relena.

"No sweat. I know how it can be when you find old friends," Hilde gave her friend a reassuring smile.

"Thanks Hilde," Relena said, but there was something sad in her voice.

"Something wrong Relena?" Hilde moved to a closer seat and gently reached for her friend's hand.

Relena sighed before looking at Hilde. "There's something different about Heero."

[And perhaps you will never return]

"Different? But… I thought he was being more attentive around you."

Relena shook her head. "Not that sort of different. I mean… I can tell something is on his mind. He loves me… yet I feel like there is something else… or maybe someone else."

"Someone else?" Hilde felt her heart racing. Is it actually possible that Heero could really be in love with… someone else? It became unbearable to picture that Heero would love someone else. Relena didn't need that sort of stress on her mind. And yet…

"I just feel like he has his heart in two places. I can see it in his face. He cares…"

"Sorry ladies but there was a long line for the champagne." Duo smiled as he laid a large plate down. "It seems they couldn't open the champagne bottles fast enough."

Heero got another plate that had the glasses of champagne. "It did take a long time," he said with no exaggeration.

The table setup was perfectly romantic. The tables had a beautiful centerpiece of freshly cut roses. There were plates and elegant silverware displayed for use. There were various glasses on the table for each guest. Some had water, some had wine, red and white, and the four filled champagne glasses. Duo ate a few hors d'oevres. He savored the cheese and crackers he took. Everyone ate from the large plate and were amazed to realize that they were satisfied with only that to eat.

"Duo… you promised to dance," Hilde said to her lover in a teasing manner.

Duo grinned. "Sure thing beautiful." He took her hand and led her to dance floor. The music stopped as they walked towards an empty space. The musicians took a short pause as they changed sheet music. Not long afterwards, a waltz was playing. Soon Duo and Hilde were twirling to the music as though they were the only two people in the room. Heero kept watching them together. He couldn't help watching the happy couple together. He wished he could be happy with someone in his… "Relena?"

"Heero?" Relena looked at him with confusion and tenderness. She could feel her heart thumping as she watched Heero, waiting to hear what he wanted to say.

*****

Hilde sighed as she talked about the ball. "Even now I can hear the music and Duo holding me in his arms…" She grabbed a tissue and cried again.

Dr. Carlyle listened patiently, allowing Hilde to talk at her own time. He casually noticed the clock. Another 75 minutes before the next patient. He wanted to give her as much time as she really needed. "How do you feel?"

Hilde just wiped her eyes. "I… just find it so hard to talk about the ball. Even now… Oh Duo… Relena… What have I done?"

To be continued...

AN: And here are the credits. My thanks to these great maestros. ^_^

1) "Un Bel Di Vedremo" from "Madama Butterfly" by Giacomo Puccini

2) "Follie!" from "La Traviata" by Giuseppe Verdi

3) "Nessun Dorma" from "Turandot" by Giacomo Puccini

4) "Habanera" from "Carmen" by Georges Bizet

5) "Ah, fors'e lui" from "La Traviata" by Giuseppe Verdi

6) "Bimbi Dagli Occhi" from "Madama Butterfly" by Giacomo Puccini

7) "Libiam, libiamo ne'lieti calici"/"Brindisi" from "La Traviata" by Giuseppe Verdi

8) "Ebben? Ne andro lontana" from "La Wally" by Alfredo Catalani