Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Love Among the Ruins ❯ Rebellious Bird ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I never have and I never will own Gundam Wing. I'm not that fortunate. :P And of course, the "negative content" in this story isn't too much different from PG-13 movies.

Pairings: 1xR? 2xH? 1xH? This will be a mystery to the end. ^_^

Surprises: There are some. That's all there is to it. ^_^

Genres: Drama, angst, some fluff, and other delightful things.

Warnings: Since this is an operafic, my characters will be even more emotional than they would be as in the original series, so they might be OOC.

AN: A shout out to my beta Daniel, and everyone else who reviewed my fics. Thanks for the love. ^_^ The brackets indicate opera libretto.

Gundam Wing: Love Among the Ruins

Act 4: Sad Eyes Shining

By Sailor Celaeno

Carlyle had become rather anxious as he heard Hilde crying and lamenting her guilt. But what could Hilde have done? "Hilde… I just…"

Hilde wiped her eyes again. They had grown puffy from the rawness of her grief. "I… just find everything so hard to take it. Knowing what I know now… I wish I could change everything…"

"But Hilde… I don't understand… exactly what you've supposedly done…"

Hilde sighed. "I suppose I'm being a total fool to you. You don't know why I'm so unhappy. I guess… it's only fair to you if I explained further…"

*****

Hilde was in Duo's arms, gliding across the ballroom floor, among the masses of guests. They were so happy together. Hilde glanced in the direction of their table. She spotted a curious sight. Heero seemed to be talking to Relena. The more curious thing was the expression on his face. There was so intense seriousness on his face. Relena was listening to whatever he was saying. Relena had a very graceful, attentive expression on her face. She sat there so ladylike and genteel. "What on earth could they be talking about?" she found herself wondering as she and Duo continued their dance. However they were soon far away from the table and her curiosity grew. "What did Heero say to her?" Something was tugging at her. It was a feeling that was like jealousy. "For pity's sake! Why would I be jealous of them? I'm with a man that loves me. And I…" She felt herself hesitate. "Hesitate? Why am I hesitating? I… I… love Duo! I love him with all my heart."

[He's the one whom my lonely heart delighted often to paint with vague, mysterious colors.]

"I love Duo… I love Duo… I love Duo…" The couple neared the table again. Relena smiled with such loving eyes and Heero covered her hand with his own. "I…" Hilde stared at them, even as she and Duo were whisked away by the joyful music. "If I love Duo… then why do I repeat it like I'm reminding myself?" Something within her was burning. She felt empty as she pictured the happy smile on Relena's face. It made no sense. "Why do I feel this way?"

[Folly! Folly! What sort of crazy dream is this!]

They danced toward the table again, but this time… Relena was gone… and so was… "Heero?" Hilde's heart started to flutter. Hilde couldn't stop her thoughts from racing. Why was she feeling this way? In the corner of her eye she found them. They were dancing together. Relena looked so happy there in his arms. It was everything that she wanted. Relena told Hilde that. So why did Hilde feel so strange? "Oh… I see…" Hilde began to hate herself deeply at that moment. What in God's name was she thinking?

*****

"You became attracted to Heero," Carlyle said as though he found the solution to a difficult puzzle.

"I realize now… that I didn't want to believe that I could even think of someone else. How could I? He was Duo's friend. And the love of Relena's life? The thought that I'd ever think of him that way… I felt like I was betraying everyone."

"What did you do then?"

"I just thought I was just having a crush. I mean, Heero really is a great guy and anyone that could ever be in his heart is the luckiest woman to find a place with him. He seems cold and emotionless, but we know that really… he has the deepest, most feeling heart. His convictions… everything about him… is strong. That's what made me attracted to him. He's so mysterious, the way he shelters himself from others because he doesn't want to hurt himself. He'd never want to hurt someone he cares for. That's why… I destroyed Duo and Relena's lives."

Carlyle frowned. "You mean…" Carlyle nodded as everything began to make sense. "It makes sense now. I think I understand."

Hilde sighed. "You know… it really was that night that we all went to a place that we can no longer go back to…"

Carlyle only said, "Well, then please continue…"

*****

Duo soon spotted Heero and Relena together. He had a knowing smile on his face. Finally… those two were together. However, he couldn't resist this one indulgence. He and Hilde approached the said couple. "Hey Yuy, mind if we switch dance partners in the next dance? I'd like one with princess."

Heero glanced at Relena who seemed at ease with the request. "Sure."

The dance stopped as the musicians changed the sheet music to the next dance. Heero changed places. Duo began chatting with Relena. Duo was very lively and Relena was ready to be entertained. Heero and Hilde, on the other hand, were both very quiet and hardly spoke as the violins began a slow minuet. Heero hardly had eye contact with his new partner. Hilde was more than glad of that. She felt herself growing more infatuated with Heero. If she looked into his eyes, it would doom them all. Yet at the same time she couldn't be completely cold towards Heero. It was against her nature to be so quiet. "Having a good time?"

"Hm?" Heero started as though it was only then that he noticed who his dance partner was.

"I asked if you were enjoying the ball," Hilde answered.

"Not much." Heero was always a man of a few words.

"Really? I thought you were enjoying your time with Relena," Hilde said almost with melancholy.

Heero looked at her as though something hit him in the face. "I… well… I love being with Relena…"

"Heero…" Hilde said tenderly.

Heero unconsciously looked at Hilde. Their eyes met.

[She appeared to me, full of love, my eyes caught sight of her;]

"Want to go get fresh air?" asked Heero.

Hilde replied almost automatically. "I was just thinking how stuffy it felt in here."

The dance partners left the crowded dance floor.

*****

"So princess, having fun?" Duo asked.

Relena seemed very distracted that moment. "I…"

Duo frowned. "Are you feeling tired? I'm a total idiot… I should have checked to make sure you were feeling all right."

Relena gave him a reassuring smile. "It's nothing."

"You don't fool me. I know when a woman's got something on her mind. Just tell Duo and I'll help you."

"Oh Duo…" Relena leaned her head on his shoulder. "I'm glad I have a friend like you. Hilde's lucky too."

"I like to think I'm the lucky one, but I won't argue the praise of a princess," Duo said with a chuckle.

Relena laughed. "I know, but I'm glad you're here."

"I know you'd do the same for me."

Relena looked earnestly at her dance partner. "You know… I'd do whatever I can to help you. I'd never forgive myself if I didn't."

The partners finished their dance before they turned back to the table.

*****

[Love is a rebellious bird that nothing can tame]

Hilde watched the stars and the moon in their places. "No wonder Relena likes looking at them. Relena…" Hilde's heart was beating faster, yet there was a dreadful cold feeling pulsing through her. What was she getting herself into?

[If I love you, beware of me!]

"Hilde?" a male voice called her attention.

Hilde quickly turned to the speaker. Heero stood there watching her. He was dashing. Heero, in spite of his aloofness, was a very handsome man. Everyone dreamed of a mysteriously handsome guy. The mystery of the man makes him even more exciting. But Hilde knew something. She knew enough about Heero to see the goodness within him. Maybe that was something Relena saw. "Is there something you wanted to say to me?"

"I… I wanted to thank you."

"Thank me? For what?" Hilde blinked in confusion.

"You've made me understand something better. I… didn't want to admit to myself that maybe I could give Relena what she really wants. I guess I was a fool for not admitting how much I've loved her. But that was my mistake, and I hope she can forgive me for being indecisive."

Hilde was surprised at such speech. He'd never talked this much about his personal feelings. "I'm glad… I could help?" Hilde gasped as Heero suddenly had her in his grasp. "Heero?"

[You think to hold it, it avoids you;]

Heero stared deeply into her eyes. "Hilde…" he said in a low, almost dangerous voice. "Hilde… do you know why I always keep people arm's length of me?" He breathed softly in the cool night air. "It's because… I knew that I would be safer. I'd protect people from myself. If I ever felt too deeply, it would lead to my death. I became a soldier because it's easier to wait for death from the face of a gun, than to have my heart torn for the love of someone that I didn't deserve. It was easier not to love than having love taken away."

[You think to avoid it, it holds you]

Hilde was breathing harder. There was something so frightening about Heero at that moment. She kept staring at him. Was that why he threatened to kill Relena? Because he was afraid to love her? Her heart pounded harder. "Why… are you telling me this… and now?"

He could hear the quiver in her voice. "Because… you are my pain and Relena is my death." Before they knew it, they were trapped in a kiss. A kiss of love, torment, freedom, misery, joy, endless sorrow, life, and death. It was the death of them all.

[And in that kiss is death]

A shadow watched them. A cold feeling creeps over and draws them away.

[I am already dead like it!]

*****

"Princess?" Duo looked concerned as he saw Relena returning. She had gone to talk to some ministers she saw near the balcony. He stood up and immediately held on to her in case she fainted.

"Duo…" she murmured. "I want… to leave…"

Duo nodded. He saw a servant with an empty champagne tray. "Hey," Duo waved towards the man.

"Oui monsieur?"

"Please watch the lady. I will return in a moment."

The server saw it was the Vice Foreign Minister and nodded compliance.

"But Duo…" Relena whimpered. Alas… he couldn't hear her. It was too late.

*****

[While trembling I beheld]

Duo had to find Heero and Hilde. They should leave before Relena got worse. But where could they be?

"Excuse me, aren't you part of Minister Dorlian's party?" a man stopped Duo.

"Yes… oh it's you sir," Duo remembered that Marquis Weyridge was one of the ministers she was talking to just earlier.

"I do hope that Miss Relena is going to feel better. She was rather unwell, which is odd. She went outside for fresh air, and when she returned inside, she looked paler."

"I'll be leaving with the minister in a few moments. I… wanted to find our companions.

The marquis nodded, "She should rest. Send my regards to her."

Duo nodded and walked towards the balcony. Could something have upset Relena? As he stepped towards the balcony, he realized what upset her.

Hilde and Heero were locked in a tender embrace.

*****

"Heero… what are we doing?" Hilde asked

"I just had to tell you the truth because you should know how I felt." Heero looked at her.

"I love Duo…"

"I love Relena, but we can't fool ourselves. We love them with all our hearts, but we feel…"

"I know… I think I love you too…" Hilde began crying into his chest.

[Gone forever is my dream of love]

Duo was stuck… frozen in his spot. Did he hear right? Did Hilde say that she loved someone else? Was it rage he felt? What was the pain in his chest? There was a rumble in chest. Laughing? He stifled chuckles and tears in his eyes. "Why am I not storming over there?" Duo asked himself as he clenched on the door post.

[Laugh of the pain that poisons your heart]

His knuckles grew white as he clenched tighter. Watching those two was making his head throb. His knuckles were inhumanly white. They were as pale as the mocking moon that made lovers happy together. So radiant and white. White like… Relena… Duo released the grip. His knuckles ached and he remembered poor Relena. As ill as she was at that moment, she held herself together. Brave woman. She must have a heart that's cracking. She was always at her must vulnerable position when she thought of… Heero.

Duo walked back to the table as silently and stealthy as he appeared. He left the two lovers alone. He had to pull himself together. Relena needed him to help her. Heero was preoccupied with other matters.

[Put on the costume, and the face in white powder]

Duo approached Relena. "I couldn't find them," he said with a shrug.

Relena replied, "I know you tried." She had a knowing look on her face. She knew he was humoring her. He knew she didn't buy it.

Duo quickly scribbled a note. "Give this to Heero Yuy 20 minutes after the Minister and I leave."

The man took the note and nodded.

"Come, my princess; your carriage awaits." He gallantly took her arm and they were in the limo and off to the hotel. Meanwhile, Duo made a few phone calls.

*****

"When will you tell Duo?" Heero asked. He pulled her face upwards so he would get a clear answer.

"I really don't know. I will tell him soon though. And you?"

"I'll tell her as soon as soon as Relena is better." Heero held Hilde's hand. "We should get back inside."

Hilde frowned. "It's very odd."

"We've been here for almost 30 minutes and Duo hasn't tried to find you," Heero said with some concern.

They both walked towards the table and saw it was empty. "Could Duo and Relena still be dancing?" Hilde asked Heero.

Heero began getting annoyed. "He knows she shouldn't be on her feet too much." They scanned the couples still dancing, but saw no pale, blond beauty in white, nor a dapper man with a braid.

After another two minutes, a waiter tapped Heero on the shoulder. "Monsieur Yuy?"

"Yes?"

"I was instructed to give this to you." The man walked away and passed out more champagne to guests.

Heero quickly opened the note.

Dear Heero,

Princess wasn't feeling too good. It seems she went out to the balcony for fresh air. Unfortunately, the air out in balcony didn't agree with her. I tried to find you and Hilde, but I couldn't find you two. You must have been off somewhere together. And don't worry about Relena because I know you trust me to take care of Relena as much I trust you to take care of Hilde.

Heero turned to Hilde. "They know."

*****

"By the time we got back to hotel, Duo and Relena were gone. The limo took them to the airport where they got a private jet out of Paris. The hotel had already packed the luggage onto the plane. It took us hours to find out that they returned home," Hilde said sadly.

Carlyle nodded. "So, the plot thickens." The small clock on his desk chimed. It was 3:00pm.

AN: Roll the credits!

1) "Ah, fors'e lui" from "La Traviata" by Giuseppe Verdi

2) "Follie!" from "La Traviata" by Giuseppe Verdi

3) "M'Appari" from "Martha" by Friedrich von Flotow

4) "Habanera" from "Carmen" by Georges Bizet

5) "La Mamma Morta" from "Andrea Chenier" by Umberto Giordano

6) "E Lucevan le stelle" from "Tosca" by Giacomo Puccini

7) "Vesti La Giubba" from "I Pagliacci" by Ruggero Leoncavallo