Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Mission Accepted ❯ Mission Accepted 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Mission Accepted: Chapter Four

“After talking to someone who has requested another guard, I have finally considered your petition for a field job.” She folded her hands over her desk. “Ok, I have to confess; you were actually requested by your employer, so you’d better do well on this one, Chang.” Sally was the only one that called him by his last name. After their attempt at a relationship a while ago, she’d called him Chang. And even though it didn’t really work out between them, out of habit she still identified him as such.

“I was requested?” Wufei said to himself more than asking a question. “By whom, may I ask?”

“Miss Relena.” Sally said. “She had another officer assigned to her. However, yesterday afternoon she phoned me and requested you instead saying that she trusted a gundam pilot.”

“Why me? Did she say?”

“She said that she noticed you hadn’t had a field job for a while.” She cleared her throat again, something she had a habit of when she was changing subjects or trying to get one’s attention. “As you may already know, Relena is participating in the upcoming Peace Council in two weeks. It stretches over a series of visits to large countries starting with one meeting in Tokyo, then on to Russia, throughout Europe, then to the Americas as well. This is scheduled to extend a month to two months depending on how long each conference takes.”

All Wufei could do was nod.

“So, do you wish to accept this mission?” Sally asked him.

“Mission Accepted.”

************

Relena walked through the door to Noin’s office. She knocked on the door frame. Noin shot up from her desk and saluted Relena. This made them both laugh.

“Please don’t tell me that you were sleeping...” Relena questioned Noin.

“I was no... Ok, yeah I was. I’m just still tired from this week’s events.” Noin sat down in her chair motioning for Relena to do the same in the comfy looking leather in front of the desk. Relena complied, then remembered why she was there.

“Here, I brought you some flowers. I picked them from the garden out my window.” Giving then to Noin, Relena watched as she thanked her and put them in a vase next to another that held flowers as well. “I see that Zechs has already given you a lavish bouquet.” Seeing this ignite a blush in her friend’s cheeks, her assumption was confirmed. Though Relena felt a little shallow seeing as how her bouquet (if you could call it that), paled in comparison to her brother’s choice of exotic flowers.

A few minutes of conversation was allowed before Zechs himself showed and had to ‘steal’ Noin away. So, Relena was once again walking the lonely hall. Seeing people in offices and hearing the faint rings of phones were reassuring that this was not a repeat of a few days ago. And, to make the moment even more nostalgic, who better to greet her in the elevator on the way down than Wufei.

“Hello Relena. Seeing you here twice in one week, that’s a change.” Wufei added a little humorous tone to his mocking sentence.

“I assume that Sally told you.” Wufei nodded.

The elevator door opened on the ground floor and they both stepped out through the glass doors. Relena said goodbye to the secretaries on their way out while she and Wufei exited through another set of glass doors into the morning sun. As Relena turned to walk away, Wufei caught her with his voice.

“Why?” Relena turned.

“You said you wanted a field job. And I wanted a friend on the trip.” She smiled her genuine smile, so much more beautiful than the political ones she wore most of the time. Then she walked off in the direction of her Japan office.

(A/N: I am setting this part in Japan with the P. Headquarters as well. Her Japan office is like an office for her when she’s in Japan [duh!] and away from her Sanq Kingdom offices.)

************

The two weeks until the beginning of the conference were spent mostly at her office or sometimes she’d be so lucky as to return to her apartment to sleep, but not likely. Each speech that she prepared for each country had to be well written, forceful, affective, and above all, it had to be different. The worst thing to sit and listen to was a redundant politician. Pouring her sweat and, sometimes, blood into her speeches, Relena stayed in her office and didn’t visit the Preventers’ Headquarters till the day before her first Conference with the state leaders in Tokyo.

She was walking into Preventers’ for all different reasons than she would have visited for a year or two ago, Relena thought as she walked through the familiar glass doors.

“Hello,” She said to the secretary at the front lobby. “I’m looking for Chang Wufei. Could you please tell me where his office is?”

“Yes Miss Relena, through the security then up the elevators to the fifth floor. It’s the door right across from the elevators.”

“Thank you.”

The elevator doors opened to reveal the fifth floor hallway. She hadn’t really been up here all that much in the few years Headquarters had been around. Heero hung around the second and third floors when he was there, so by careful deduction, you could figure she’d spent most of her time there. Many times Relena would regret her actions. She really had stalked Heero. And she hated herself for it. That was the reason why everyone always associated her actions with something that Heero did or said.

She was sick of that...

“Relena?” Wufei had just been leaving his office when he saw her just standing outside the elevator, looking down at the floor with some angry, confused expression on her usually soft face.

“Oh!” She jumped. “I’m sorry. I was just reflecting on a few things...” She trailed off. “Well, are you ready to go?” Relena tried to sound perky and lighten her spirits a bit.

“Yes, just let me lock up. No matter that I’m on a field job, I still have tons of rough copy paperwork in there.” He finished and picked up his duffel bag, slinging it over his shoulder.

‘It never ceases to amaze me how these Gundam pilots never have anything more than a duffel for luggage. We are going to be gone for a few months! How can you bring something that small...?!’ While Relena finished her debate in her head, they walked out to her car, which would take them to the hotel.

************

“As soon as you arrive at the hotel, prep for security. There are no measures that we won’t take on this conference.” The cracking voice of Zechs said over the phone.

“Yes, sir.” Wufei mumbled a few other words into the cell phone before flipping it shut and staring out the tinted window of the car.

‘Zechs is always so protective of Relena, but that’s expected; she is his baby sister and only family.’ Wufei thought.

Relena looked over after he’d shut the cell phone and wondered what Wufei was thinking about. ‘Probably how good it is to be on a field job or something. I wish I could just escape from my desk job like he did...’

Two hours passed before they reached the center of Tokyo; far from the Headquarters on the outskirts of the capital.

The very luxurious Hotel Centre loomed over them as they exited the car. It was ornate and perfect for all the high and mighty politicians that requested to be waited on hand and foot. But even though Wufei was thinking it, he knew that not all politicians were like that. The first and foremost being beside him at the moment.

“I’ll get your bags, Miss Relena.” The driver said. He assisted Wufei in taking the bags up to her room on the fourth floor.

“Thank you very much, sir.” Relena tipped her driver and entered into the room. It was much like all the other hotel rooms she’d been in during her lifetime; nothing really out of the ordinary.

“Relena, I’m the room conjoined to yours if you’ll be needing anything.”

“Thank you, Wufei. I’ll be fine for now.” He left the room.

************

Wufei was covering the grounds, looking at any possible entrances other than the elevators or the windows. He only found the laundry shoot which existed for the maids and extended down to the basement, a good five floors. Unless someone was really into getting to the fourth floor unknown, and they had a few major suction cups with them, no one was getting through there. Wufei felt confident that the area was secure and he made note that all the windows were locked and secured.

************

Tsuyoku: lol, keep going...R&R...