Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ More than Rejects ❯ Chapter five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author: Supurrkitty
Disclaimer: I do not own any GW characters. That is all.

Damn me! Writing so many fan-fictions at once! Please read and review.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More than Rejects
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last time...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" I don't know what would have happened to Rae if I had died." Trowa said.

" I do." Duo said.

" What?" Trowa asked confused.

Screams made him turn around and look toward the counter. Rae was torn from the woman Trowa left her with. She was being held and restrained to the point where she could no longer scream. They were men dressed in the same strange garb as the other man. There were about five of them on that side of the room.

" Rae!" Trowa yelled and was about to go after her when he heard a familiar click.

" I'm sorry Trowa."

Trowa turned back to Duo, who held a sorry expression on his face. Trowa glared up the barrel of the gun that Duo was pointing at his head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Duo, what's going on?" Trowa demanded

Duo's grim expression turned into a creepy grin.

" Sorry for having to do this the first time I see you in years, but..." Duo shrugged, still pointing the gun, " A man must fallow his duty."

" And what's that!?" Trowa yelled, " Taking Rae away from me!?"

" This time, yes. Next time...who knows," Duo said, " I'm taking orders."

" Orders?" Trowa echoed, " from who?"

Duo said nothing, making it easy for Trowa to hear his daughters muffled screams. He looked back at her as she was being dragged out of the room. He wish he could go after her, but it would be impossible to try without her or himself being killed.

" Where are they taking her?" Trowa asked.

" I can't tell you that." Duo stated

" Why are you taking her?" Trowa asked, irritated.

" Because of you." Duo answered.

" What have I done that means she is punished!?" Trowa shouted.

Duo's expression changed again, this time to pain.

" The same thing I did." Duo said, quietly in a sorrow filled tone. There was a short pause as everyone except for Duo, Trowa, and some people on the ground left the room. " Don't try to find her now, or you'll both get killed. But, there is a way you can get her back."

" What?" Trowa blinked at Duo, " How? Tell me!"

" Preventers." Was all Duo said before he left Trowa to contemplate what just happened.

He couldn't go retrieve Rae, yet he desperately needed her back. He felt lost and suddenly lonely. But, how did Rae feel in all the panic? What was going to happen to her? His little reject(1).

Trowa sank to his knees and let gravity take him over as he became limp. All the other occupants of the room had fled. His eyes watered as his whole world fell apart...

" Trowa!" Someone called his name as running steps were heard. Trowa looked up at the approaching figure. " Is everything alright!? What exactly happened!?"

It was Wufei, in his Preventers uniform, his hair all the way down.

" No." Trowa said under his breath. He had enough; this was too much. He stood quickly and, using his old instincts, somehow got a hold of one of Wufei's guns and pointed it at him. His hands were shaking, so he didn't have definite aim.

" Hey, not bad..." Wufei said in awe. In light of the fact that he had a deadly weapon aimed at his temple.

" Why!?" Trowa yelled in a shaky voice, " Why did this happen to Rae!?"

" They took your daughter?" Wufei asked. Trowa let the weapon drop a little.

" Aren't you in on this, too?" Trowa asked, accusingly.

" I'm in on it," Wufei said, " But, as one of the good guys. They are a group of soldiers left over from the 'perfect peace' movement. They had family killed in the war, some by Gundams. Their goal is not peace, but revenge. I've been tracking this threat for a while, but I had no idea they had so much power. I only wish I could have prevented this, Trowa."

" What about Duo?" Trowa let the gun drop to his side.

" Duo," Wufei shook his head, " That's as much a mystery to me as it is to you."

" Why did they take Rae?" Trowa asked.

" My best guess," Wufei shrugged, " is that they wanted to have you hurt like them. They wanted to take away the thing you love most."

" A fate worse than death." Trowa muttered, closing his eyes and turning his face to the floor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rae was only about a week old when Trowa noticed her acting strange. Though he had her for a short time, he was able to map her pattern behaviors. She seemed irritable lately.

He called for the doctor and found out that her temperature was soaring. She was immeadiately rushed to the hospital, where they lied about her mother leaving her and Trowa being her true father. They yelled at him for not bringing her any sooner for assistance. The doctor there found out that she had pneumonia. They gave her antibiotics and sent her back. She only got worse.
When they went back, they found out that she was allergic to the antibiotic and that the pneumonia made it to her lungs. Trowa was in a panic; he was afraid he might lose her. The only thing they could do was to clear out her system and put her in a respiration chamber. They attached numerous I.V.s to her and had to take blood samples from her feet. This was costing money that Trowa had to 'borrow' from other people at the circus. They were happy to help.
Everyday in the week she was there, Trowa would be there throughout most of the day. He would watch whenever they would take blood samples, she would start to flinch away whenever someone tried to touch her feet. She would do that all her life. After two days, the nurses asked Trowa if he'd like to hold her. He was baffled about holding her with so many tubes connected to her body, but he was glad she was in his arms again. He sat on a specific chair every time, and would just let Rae sleep in his arms. Soon enough, Rae could not sleep without first being in Trowa's arms. So, the nurses demanded he be there as often as possible.
Finally, one day, the doctor said she was safe to go home and Trowa gladly took her there. The circus delayed their next move, just for Rae. There was even a small welcome home party for her on her second week in the world. Trowa made sure no one touched her feet and always let her fall asleep in his arms. The close call had been traumatic for them both and they were glad it was over.

" I promise," Trowa had said to her when no one else was around, " I'll never let you slip that far away from me again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This memory ran through Trowa's head as he gazed out the thick glass window of the shuttle.

'I've gone back on my promise.' He thought to himself, staring blankly at the stars. He looked around the private shuttle. There was only He, Wufei, Sally, and Quatre. Quatre had come and told Trowa that Catherine had also been taken. They were all heading for Preventer headquarters on Earth. According to Wufei, Heero was on Earth and had been for a long time. He refused to leave. Trowa was in no mood to contemplate any of the questions he had on these situations. He was only concerned with how to get Rae back and to find out why Duo had betrayed them.

Wufei was talking to Quatre on the other side of the shuttle, until he finally got some information he needed. He looked over at Trowa, who was looking painfully out the shuttle window. Wufei sighed and got up from his seat, thanking Quatre. He walked over to Trowa and sat down next to him.

" I'm pretty sure on their motive now," Wufei said, " It shouldn't be too long before..."

" Leave me be." Trowa said, closing his eyes.

" Trowa, we're going to have to work together if..." Wufei started, but got interrupted.

" I told you, just leave me alone." He said more harshly, giving Wufei a look that shocked him.

He stood up and walked back to his seat next to Sally. He still wore an odd expression on his face.

" What's wrong?" Sally asked him, seeing his state.

" I haven't seen that look," Wufei leaned back and sighed " Since the war..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was late in the night when they finally stepped off of the shuttle on Earth. Trowa did not bring anything with him, but his jacket. They had taken up temporary residence at a safe house reserved for Preventer use. Trowa was about to go for a long walk without excusing himself, when he was stopped.

" Trowa." It was Quatre " We understand."

Trowa thought about what Quatre said as he reached for the doorknob. He stopped momentarily and glanced back at Quatre.

" It's my fault," He stated, " I am nothing..."

Trowa stepped out the door and into the cold night.
'Nothing but a reject...'
He looked up at the night sky. Though many of the stars were drowned out, he could still see the waxing moon perfectly well. It was not full yet, but it was getting there.

" The last time I was on Earth," Trowa spoke to himself and whoever was listening, " I found a child, not even an hour old and I had never parted with her since, until now."



To be continued...
A/N- So, how are they going to go about retrieving Catherine and Rae? And why exactly were they taken? Well, was it to get at just Trowa, or was it something else? Is it to get at the Gundam pilots? Then, why was Duo on the other side? Oi, you'll have to find out!

(1) That's terrible!