Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ More than Rejects ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author: Supurrkitty
Disclaimer: I do not own any GW characters. That is all.

Damn me! Writing so many fan-fictions at once! Please read and review.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More than Rejects
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


" Hm..."

" Hey, that's Trowa, isn't it?"

" Hn..."

" 'Hn...'!? Is that all you have to say!? You just killed your old comrade!"

" He's not dead..."

Trowa heard these voices, but didn't feel entirely there. He was bouncing back from that blow to the head pretty quick, but it hurt like hell and he didn't dare open his eyes. He tried lifting himself up again and this time succeeded in propping himself up on his elbows.

" Oh! He's getting up!" Came a feminine voice.

" Good, so I didn't hit him THAT hard." Came a low male tone.

" Mmwha-...?" Trowa slowly opened his eyes a little and looked up at the blurry figures, " Who...are...you...?"

" You idiot!" The female said to the male giving him a whack, " You made him lose his memory again!"

" Am I supposed to know you?" Trowa asked, the figures still not clearing up in the dark room.

He rubbed his head and eyes then looked back up at the dark figures. There was a familiar female kneeling next to him, looking worried. Her long, blonde hair, caressed her soft face like an angel. Trowa couldn't help but smile slightly at her in spite of himself. She at first looked surprised, then smiled back. Trowa heard a small grunt and looked up at the only figure standing. He was tall, with dark, wild hair and an icy expression.

" You okay?" Heero asked, no sign of sympathy in his voice.

" I'll survive," Trowa said, still trying to snap out of his daze, " What are you two doing here, anyways? Relena, shouldn't you be in New York?"

" Oh good, you do remember us!" Relena smiled genuinely, then it faded, " We're here because, well..." She looked over at Heero, as did Trowa.

" I heard what happened on L4, " Heero said, " Considering how they are going about this, I thought they'd go after Relena next..."

Relena smiled up at him.

" They know that I, as her body guard, have made it my mission to protect her." Heero explained.

" Sure, I'm just your 'mission'..." Relena grumbled and Heero grunted at her.

" I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter..." Relena said, looking back over at Trowa. He shook his head.

" I'll get her back no matter what." Trowa stated in a low voice with clenched fists, " Until then, I just hope Duo hasn't changed too much and is treating her well."

" I'm sure he is," Relena tried to reassure him, " After all, he's still Duo."

" Then why did he take Rae...?" Trowa whispered. Relena hugged him tightly around the shoulders.

" We'll find out," Heero said, unexpectedly. It was obvious he was angry about Duo's involvement in the situation.

Trowa looked at Heero, then at Relena, who had released him from her embrace. She still held the same sort of peaceful beauty as before. She had changed least of all of them. She was a hard worker, but she must have maintained a healthy life style.

" Heero," Trowa said, suddenly as if surprised, " You made a mistake,"

" What?" Heero blinked down at Trowa, who was now starting to get up all the way.

" Bringing Relena here," He stood, now able to compare height, " If you knew they were going to come after her, you should have done a little more research and maybe set a trap, instead of just taking her from her life and sending humanity into a panic. Now you've just confirmed to the enemy that Relena matters enough to you to make you careless..."

Heero just kept his position, arms crossed. He studied Trowa for a moment, and then looked away.

" Hn."

" He loves me." Relena smiled up at Trowa, who just sighed in return.

" Preventers are careful, though. The enemy will more than likely not be able to find us here." Heero said, still not looking at either of them.

" Whomever the enemy is." Trowa sighed deeper this time.

" Perhaps you should get some rest, Trowa." Relena said, concerned. " Unless you want Heero to knock you over the head with his hand gun again?"

Trowa looked at Heero, taking a quick look at the possibilities. It'd probably be best for him to get some sleep now, anyways. It would help him get Rae back sooner.

" You're right," Trowa said with a nod, " You two should, too."

With that, he headed off to his assigned room to settle down for a restless night. What was this terrible night like for poor Rae?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Duo sighed and scratched his hand, looking at the door in front of him. One guard was about to bring a tray of food into it, but Duo stopped him, saying he would take it. He looked down at the tray. There was a bowl of soup, a big chunk of bread, and a glass of water. How boring.
He entered the cell and looked around for the hostage. She was sitting on the bed, leaning against the wall, looking lost. Duo sighed and set the tray down on a small, metal table.

" I brought you some food." Duo said, smiling.

She looked up and at the food, he could tell she was hungry, but she didn't move from her spot.

" It's sort of a peace offering..." Duo chuckled, " Don't worry, they want you healthy, it's fine..."

" They?" She asked, scooting to the edge of the bed.

" The ones I'm working for right now." Duo said, truthfully, taking a seat on the ground, legs crossed. " I really wish I wasn't..."

" Then why are you working for them?" Rae asked, going a little closer to the food and Duo. Duo took a large breath and looked at his hands.

" It's very complicated, little lady," Duo let out the breath, " If I had a choice, neither of us would be here."

Rae looked at him silently for a minute, then took another step closer to the tray. Then, as if she understood what was happening, or maybe she was just too hungry to care, she lunged at the food. The next moment, she was stuffing her face with bread, while keeping a close eye on Duo.

Duo watched her, amazed for a moment. How she acted, like all this was too good to be true and there must be some catch. Like all those around her were out to get her. It reminded him of when he was very young and on the streets. And when he was first sent to Maxwell church.

" Why did you cry earlier?" Rae said, some bread in her mouth. She had slowed her eating and seemed to be saving some. " Were they real tears?"

" What other tears are there?" Duo asked the little girl, bitterly.

" I don't understand why you HAVE to do this, but..." Rae paused and seemed to examine Duo all over again, " ...You are being nice to me..."

" You don't have to be my friend or anything," Duo said, " But I just want you to know that I am very sorry for all the hurt I've caused for you and I'll do anything to make it up to you..."

" Can you take me back to daddy?" Rae asked, almost darkly.

" ..." Duo gave her a pained look, " I'll try..." he whispered.

There was a long silence between the two as Rae took steady sips of her water. Finally she set down the large glass and blinked at Duo like a little rabbit.

" Duo? Do you have a family?" She asked, quietly, full of curiosity.

Duo didn't even look at the girl as an uncomfortable atmosphere loomed between them.

" I'll leave the food in here, but you should get your rest soon," Duo said, standing up and turning to the door, " Insomnia is a bad habit that can be learned early in life."

Duo smiled at her before leaving the room.

And then, she was alone again. The room was quite and empty. The tray in front of her that seemed so out of place at first, melded into the bland scene of the cell.
And Rae, she was so confused. New information and curiosities just made it worse. She wished she was back on the circus, petting the lions or feeding the monkeys. This place didn't even have silver fish.

Rae moved her hand over to the water cup. It was too big for her to drink the whole thing. She was still small for her age. She moved her finger along the side, then just pushed it forward, making the cup tip over and the contents spilled onto the surface. She watched the uniform scene become a miniature disaster as the water flooded towards the end of the table. Then, it started to drip off the side, hitting the floor with a satisfying ting at the end interrupting the disturbing silence. Sweet imperfection.
Rae got up and went over to the bed. A guard saw this and turned the lights low for her to sleep. She got under the crisp, hard sheets and curled up against the huge pillow. She let the ting of the water dripping to the cold ground lull her to a stiff, sour sleep.


A/N- I swear, the story is going somewhere! The plot didn't make that much progress this time, I guess... Well, Heero made a mistake and now him and Relena are a part of the gang. Also, Duo is making friends with the hostage. Does he actually care, or is this just another way for him to manipulate Trowa through Rae?
Next time: the investigation begins for Trowa and the others, but there seems to be more setbacks than help.