Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Assassin ❯ Unexpected Guest ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PERFECT ASSASSIN

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way.

CHAPTER NINE: UNEXPECTED GUEST

After the immediate briefing with the other Gundam Pilots, Heero Yuy was on board a shuttle to Colony L4. He was given the sole duty of investigating the William Smith murder. Furthermore, since the Vice Foreign Minister was also currently on L4, he accepted the assignment of being Relena Darlian's chief of security with reluctance. Members of Preventers' were suspecting the killer of targeting the government in which she was undoubtedly a part of.

Despite Heero's attempts of maintaining his distance from the young female leader, he had found himself closing that distance time and time again, this time proving to be no different than the last. The minute he reached L4, Heero contacted the Winner Estate through his cell phone.

"This is the Winner residence, how may I help you?" The female voice on the other end spoke with enthusiasm.

"Quatre Winner, please." Heero said.

"I'm sorry. He's currently preoccupied with business-related matters. Would you like for me to make an appointment for you?"

Since the war ended, Quatre exchanged his war goggles for a set of glasses to accompany him in his duties as the heir of Winner Enterprise on Colony L4. Aside from his immense wealth and noble status, Quatre continued to keep close relations with his government and the Earth Sphere Unified Nations, therefore, earning him a well-deserved seat in the parliament. Regardless of Quatre's accomplishments, Heero was growing impatient with the woman on the phone.

"He will answer this call. Tell him Heero Yuy is on the line." He claimed, controlling his patience.

With a few clicks and further waiting on his part, Quatre was finally speaking through the receiver.

"Heero! I must apologize for the wait. How are you?" He greeted with a smile that could be identified even over the phone.

"Could be better." Heero replied. "I'm sorry to call you out of nowhere but there is something I need you to do for me."

"Please, all you need to do is ask."


~*~*~

Approaching the policeman who was securing the crime scene, Heero revealed his identification and walked down to the enclosed beach vicinity without any words exchanged. Prior to analyzing the area, he closed his eyes before the sight of death. The perfect soldier inhaled the familiar aroma of blood and perspiration that consumed what once was an establishment of natural beauty and grace among the rippling tides and sea life. Since the moment William Smith's body was discovered, it has been removed and placed under careful surveillance in the hospital morgue for an autopsy, although, Heero was reluctant to believe that anything of importance will be found.

Reading from the police report, Smith was killed from a bullet wound to his chest: no witnesses or suspects. Excitement grew in Yuy's stomach from the lack of sufficient evidence in the case and the mystery that could be revealed under his unprecedented dedication.

From the vast open space of the beach, the assailant could not have possibly taken aim from a hidden location. Through careful inspection, Heero suspected that that the killer needed to get close to the target, so close that Smith might have even seen his killer before he was struck. However, one question remained unanswered in his train of thoughts. 'If William Smith did see someone charging him with a weapon, why did he not fight back?'

"Because he thought the assailant was harmless? Because Smith knew the killer." Heero concluded, answering his own questions.

Scribbling a few more details of the crime scene into his memory, he headed back to his car.

~*~*~

It was eight in the evening and Relena Darlian found herself dressing for a semi-formal gathering at the Winner Estate with one of her truest friends Quatre Winner. Early in the afternoon of that day, she received a call from none other than the former Gundam pilot who invited her to join him for dinner. Despite her kind decline to his invitation, he kept pushing her to pay a short visit to reminisce. Fully dressed in her white gown, she stared at her reflection and hated what she saw. Looking more pale than usual, she believed that the poison was slowly catching up with her. Feeling weaker as the days passed, she knew she did not have much time if she was not given the antidote.

Her artificial smiles proved more difficult to produce whenever her bodyguard asked if she was feeling all right. Not the mention the immense guilt she felt from taking two lives. From the instant she heard Quatre's request to join him and a special friend for dinner, she didn't know how she was going to face him. What would happen if he learned the truth? Furthermore, how would all the former Gundam Pilots treat her when they discovered her reluctant actions? She couldn't fathom the horrid outcome that will eventually be revealed. Despite her fears, she would not hide from the world.

Relena Darlian will take her responsibilities in stride; will hold her head up high regardless of the consequences.


~*~*~

Walking up to the massive estate, she was thankful for not being the one to clean the mansion. A welcoming fountain stood proudly before the main gate with water and lights gracing its radiance. All plants were neatly trimmed and decorated with just the right touch of flowers varying in all the colors of the rainbow. It was truly a vision of heaven.

Reaching the front entrance, she felt a wave of pain swell in her right temple. The sharp stab of pain consumed all conscious thought and she needed to brace herself against the wall before she collapsed right in front of Quatre's door. Relena used her left hand to cup her throbbing forehead and cursed silently for her misfortune. As the seconds ticked by, the pain gradually subsided but she couldn't regain her footing on the ground. Along with the excruciating stab of hurt, Relena felt nauseated and dizzy.

How was she going to get through the rest of the night? Inhaling large gulps of air and calming her breathing, the pain dissipated along with the nausea and dizziness. She closed her eyes to rest her mind and focus on the evening still to come. When she felt that she was ready both physically and mentally, she rang the doorbell. Moments later, Quatre opened the door and greeted her with a heartfelt hug and a gentle kiss on her cheek.

"Welcome, Relena. Please come in."

"I apologize for being late, Quatre. Who knew there would be so many vehicles out on the road at this late hour?" Relena lied skillfully, knowing it was the poison that slowed her down.

"Not a problem. Please, join us in the main hall. Dinner will be ready shortly." Quatre announced as he led her into an open space where a burning fireplace was lit brightly. The hall was richly decorated with paintings from the nineteenth century and furniture that was simply priceless. Tapestries hung magnificently from the grand windows that extended from floor to ceiling. Relena didn't expect any less from her kind host.

"Us?" Relena asked unconsciously.

"Yes, Heero is also here." Quatre replied as he stepped behind Relena once they reached the center of the room. In perfect timing, Heero appeared before the host and Relena from his seat. Dressed in a dark suit, his hair was as unruly as the way his black tie hung loosely in front of his body and he looked more handsome than she remembered. The pain in her head began to reappear yet again.

"Hello, Relena." Heero bowed graciously, never taking his eyes off of her.

'Please not tonight.' She thought. 'Anyone but him!'



TBC…

NOTE: I am incredibly sorry for the tardiness of this chapter. I have been really busy at work among several other things. And since school will be starting again in a month, there just isn't enough time to write as soon as I would have hoped. On top of that, I'm experiencing one of the worst writer's blocks ever to exist on the writing community. If anyone has any, ANY ideas.... PLEASE, I'm all ears!!!! Enjoy this chapter and I'll try to have the next one up sooner rather than later.