Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Assassin ❯ Staying Overnight ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PERFECT ASSASSIN

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way.


CHAPTER TWELVE: STAYING OVERNIGHT

“So, you and Relena a couple now?” Heero asked unexpectedly, the moment they stepped to the hall.

“I’m not even going to answer that. Even if we were, I’m sure you’d have no objections. After all, Relena is a grown woman now, a beautifully charming and elegant single female whom you were never interested in. Am I correct?” Quatre announced, tempting the Perfect Soldier to admit his true feelings.

Heero ignored the comments. “Let’s get down to the point. The reason why I needed to talk to you is because Trowa just called and they may have found a break to the murders. He’s sending the files to me as we speak. I need your computer.”

Quatre sighed deeply as he started walking down to his main office. “This way.”


~*~*~

The computer screen displayed pages and pages full of documents and security reports from the main political building of which one victim was found. Heero stared intently at the reports and the dates of each entry dating back to six months before the incident. Quatre stood a few feet behind him, giving him ample room to shuffle around on the wooden desk. According to the brief statements from each report, no one suspicious was ever granted access to the building so the killer wasn’t able to enter through the front door. Either that, or the killer already had access and so getting in wasn’t even an obstacle to begin with.

“Find anything?”

Almost forgetting that Quatre was in the room with him, he waved a hand, signaling him to come closer to the monitor. Scrolling down to the most recent entry, Heero said, “Nothing out of the ordinary. However, there is something peculiar that I found. Let me give you a brief rundown of how this system works. The computer files record everyone’s arrival and departure in order for the security staff to have an idea of how many people are in the building and to secure their privacy and safety. Looking at the last entry, there were only two people in the building when Sackheim was shot.”

“How could there only be two people in such a vast building?”

“It was late and I’m guessing Mr. Sackheim was trying to finish the final drafts of a contract.” Heero answered as he clicked to another page.

Slowly understanding what Heero was grasping at, he said, “Then the second person would have to be our killer right?”

“I really hope not.”

Now more confused, Quatre looked at him and offered a nonverbal request for him to finish his thought.

“Relena and Sackheim were the only two left in that building when he was killed, Quatre.”

“Well, we know it couldn’t have been Relena. Maybe the killer found another way into the building.”

Heero thought, ‘whether she’s involved in this or not, I still need to talk to her.’


~*~*~

One hour and fourteen minutes have passed already and still the two men haven’t returned. Long before the strike of the hour, Relena became overly exhausted from her straining headaches and soon found herself asleep on the furniture. When Heero and Quatre returned, they saw her lying comfortably across the sofa with one arm tucked neatly underneath her head as a cushion. The glow from the fireplace fluttered iridescent waves of light on her skin that gave her a goddess-like feature.

“Were we gone for that long?” Quatre whispered to Heero.

“I guess we took longer than we thought. Why don’t we have Relena stay over for tonight? I’d say she would appreciate the much needed rest.” Heero offered.

Quatre nodded in agreement and said softly, “carry her to the guest room on the second floor? I wouldn’t want to wake her. I’ll call Alexander to notify him of Relena’s whereabouts for the remainder of the evening.”

Once Quatre made the suggestion, Heero grew uneasy about carrying Relena up to her room. He feared that if he touched her, his feelings would go against everything he attempted to avoid. She constantly had that sort of effect on him and he was never sure how to handle such strange emotions.

On his way out to the phone, Quatre called back, “The guest bedroom is the second door to the left. Do you intend on staying tonight as well?”

“I don’t think I have a choice.” Heero replied, still staring down at her sleeping form.


“Very well. I’m sure you want to keep a close eye on her so the closest vacant room to her would be the one across the hall.” And he left them.

Very gently, he placed his left arm under her legs; he positioned his right arm beneath her back and cradled her to his well-built chest. Not once did she stir during the transition from the furniture into his arms. How could she feel so light? It seemed as if she hardly ate anything at all these days. Climbing the stairs, he felt a warming sensation in the pit of his stomach and couldn’t describe the feeling. Looking down at her, there was a growing sense of lust and hunger for the sleeping beauty.

“Damn.” He knew this was a bad idea.


~*~*~

Tenderly putting her on the queen-sized bed, he couldn’t force himself to look away from her.

“Relena…”

He removed her heels with ease and placed them by the bedside. Trailing his eyes up her slim figure, he didn’t know whether he should help her out of her gown. In order to keep himself occupied, he checked the locks on all the windows and side doors that entered the room. Everything seemed to be as it should be but there was still the matter of her gown. Thinking better of it, he decided not to cross down such dangerous territory. Heero tucked her carefully beneath the covers without her even realizing it.

Instead of leaving for his own quarters, he plopped himself down in a nearby couch and fell into a dreamless sleep, watching over her like a king guarding his most prized possession. “Sleep well, Relena.”


~*~*~

Darkness filled her thoughts and blood seeped in at all corners of her dream world, there was so much blood. The smell of it was the worst but whichever way she turned, the odor of bloodshed only grew stronger. She couldn’t escape!

“No, please, no more!” Relena murmured as she tossed and turned in bed. Submerged among the dark clouds, she knew she was doomed; there was no way out of this living hell.

Suddenly jerking awake from Relena’s moans, Heero stood abruptly and watched in confusion. “Relena?”

Arms beneath the fog grabbed for her legs, demanding vengeance. Disgustingly disfigured arms broke her running pace as the ghosts chanted her name and cursed Relena for her deadly deeds. “Murderer, injustice!” The words rang with a lethal ring. Strong hands grasped for both her legs and arms now, finally succeeding in pulling her off balance and she found herself plunging down into the fog.

“I’m sorry…..” she repeated, attempting to escape their hold on her. “I’m truly sorry.”
Tears stung her face as they fell.

“We hunger for vengeance!” Continued the incessant mantra. “Vengeance, vengeance, vengeance…”


“Relena, wake up.” Heero nudged her, helping her break out of her unconscious state.

“No, please!” She yelled as she sat up hurriedly on the bed. Looking around, she discovered that she was in a dark room on a foreign bed. Relena also found that her breathing was erratic and a thin sheet of sweat sparkled her forehead. The clouds dissipated and she could no longer smell the blood.

“Relena?” He asked softly. From hearing his voice she noticed that Heero was also in the room with her and she didn’t know why he was there. Without even thinking twice, she reached for him and wrapped her arms tightly around her protector, holding on for dear life. He didn’t have time to react to her rapid movements and just went along with the momentum.

“Heero…. I was so scared.” She whispered.

Instinctively, he surrounded her with his warmth and breathed in her scent. Not knowing what else to do to calm her, they remained locked in each other’s arms for the duration of the night.

“I’m here, Relena.”


TBC…