Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Assassin ❯ Discussions of the Mind ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PERFECT ASSASSIN

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way.

CHAPTER ELEVEN: DISCUSSIONS OF THE MIND

The feelings she had were so painful, too painful for him to remain attached that he retrieved his hand from hers and stared at her with a driving force that compelled her to look at him. "Relena, there is something wrong. You must tell me."

She was torn, frustrated, even slightly upset with Quatre for priding into her life. Relena knew that he meant well but she hated him at that moment. How could she respond in a way as to not reveal anything scandalous? Instead of replying, she countered his demands with one of her own.

Looking stern, she said, "Why was I invited here tonight? Is there something you wanted to share with me?"

Feeling flabbergasted by her line of questioning, he straightened himself before answering, "Relena, this is nothing but an innocent get-together and to bask in the company of dear friends. There is so much left unsaid following the Eve Wars, don't you think?"

"You're right. The Gundam Pilots left on their own accord shortly after the declaration of peace among the nations. You, too, removed yourself from my counsel once everything had settled down."

"Those were hectic times back then and I only left when I felt confident of your abilities. You must understand that I was needed back home." He explained.

Chuckling, Relena quickly added, "Of course, Quatre. I wasn't playing the blame game. You have done everything in your power to rebuild what was once a powerful nation and I appreciate all your efforts and accomplishments. I don't regret any moment of our friendship."

Quatre smiled. "Hmm... I'm glad." They were silent for a few moments, each one off in their own thoughts. 'How clever of her,' he thought. She dissuaded from answering his pressing question by changing the subject. Obviously, her determined demeanor would not be broken tonight. As soon as she was ready, Relena would come to him on her own terms and share her thoughts, but not tonight.

Quatre decided to steer their conversation away from her personal matters. "Rumor has it that there have been a few murder counts in the Sanc Kingdom. Have you heard about the deaths of Dominic Sackheim and William Smith?"

Whenever she heard their names, a dark pang of guilt and regret wavered relentlessly in her soul. It took great strength on her part from breaking down and crying out her sins. Trying to look surprised, Relena looked directly at Quatre and said, "I haven't heard of any such news. Certainly the media would have covered such an atrocious event."

"That's the thing. Preventers want the killings from reaching public ears. I'm surprised no one's even mentioned this to you. Don't they work with you on the Executive Board?"

Feeling trapped once again from his questions, she replied softly, "Yes, they do: two wonderful men that have served their people well. Or at least, they did."

"The reason why I ask, Relena, is because Une recently ordered the Gundam Pilots to investigate into these murders. Things have gone so drastic that they had no choice but to bring Heero into the picture."

"Heero? Then why is he here tonight?"

Quatre continued speaking as if she didn't interrupt him. "You're right about one thing, they don't want this thing to explode into epic proportions and I guess that's the reason why you haven't heard about it yet. I'm not even supposed to know but Heero reluctantly told me for your sake, Relena."

"For my sake? What is that supposed to mean?" She demanded, growing weary of his information. If the Gundam Pilots were assigned to the murders, surely they would find the killer in no time and what would happen then? Relena didn't even want to consider how the underground organization would react to such unexpected turn of events. Would they prove their threat and destroy the lives of millions? The Vice Foreign Minister needed to prevent that from happening at all costs, even if it meant concealing the identity of her assailants.

"The ones responsible for their deaths must have some hidden agenda that involves the government, which relates to you somehow."

"You don't know the half of it." She murmured softly so that he couldn't hear.

"They may be after you too." He chanted.

"Don't be ridiculous Quatre. They're taking this far too seriously and I'll have a word with Une myself to clear this mishap."

"This is serious, Relena. Two men are dead."

"I have Alexander looking after me. There's absolutely nothing to worry about. I'm sure their deaths are unrelated." She could tell that Quatre was growing irritated by her stubbornness when he remained silent after her last remark. Instead of saying anything further, she leaned forward and embraced her friend warmly.

Having nothing else to do with his hands, he returned the kind gestured, still unsure what to make of Relena's strange outbursts. "I worry about you, that's all."

She acknowledged his words by placing her head on his shoulder, hating herself for lying, knowing she didn't deserve such a trustworthy friend. Quatre tried to make light of the situation by asking, "Did I mention that you look beautiful tonight?"

She simply smirked and asked her own question. "I remember the little hints you made during dinner. Quatre?"

"Hmmm?"

"You didn't answer me before. Why is Heero here tonight if he's working on the investigation?"

"Uhh..." Before he could reply, Heero decided to return at that moment, looking distraught. He noticed how cozy they had gotten when he was gone: with Relena fitting so closely into Quatre's arms and her expression of contentment. Regrettably, he couldn't help the slight pinch of jealousy that took root in his mind. "Oh look, Heero's back." Quatre informed.

"Can I have a private word with you?" Heero asked, staring at their host.

"Of course. Make yourself feel comfortable, Relena. We'll be right back." As the two men departed, Relena couldn't help but wonder what was so urgent that they needed to discuss.

TBC...