Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Assassin ❯ Good-Bye Relena ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PERFECT ASSASSIN

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way.


CHAPTER ONE: "GOOD-BYE RELENA"

Twenty-seven year old Relena Darlian sat behind her oak desk running through the week's agenda and prearranged meetings and public appearances. Indeed the Vice Foreign Minister had been keeping herself occupied with plenty of paperwork and political issues in regards to the maintenance of peace and prosperity of her people. Despite the workload, she still had moments where she dwelled on the fantasies of her imagination, of a life shared with the only man she could ever love. Looking up from a current document that she held, she glanced outside the massive window behind her and admired the view of the central region of Sanc. She took in the breathtaking order of society and the beauty of the landscape created in the image of her people.

Heero Yuy, the only person constantly on her mind. Why does she still love him? She didn't know. After years of his service as her personal bodyguard, the only words he spoke were related to safety precautions prior to her travels and nothing more. Heero Yuy never even showed the slightest hint of emotion when he was around her and she felt hopelessly lost and depressed. Despite her feelings for the perfect soldier, she hid her mask well and conversed in the only tone she was familiar with, the voice of a true and destined leader. How she loved him! She recalled the memories of their past, the hidden demons of his life as well as her own. Perhaps he even recognized her feelings whenever her aquamarine spheres locked onto his piercing eyes of death and remorse.

Just then, a gentle knock was heard from the other side of the main door into her office, knocking her out of her reverie as she cleared her throat and invited the unknown visitor to enter. Yuy walked in with grace and elegance as he approached her. Relena's heart jumped ten beats once she saw his face, like every other time they made an encounter.

"Heero¡K"

"Good Afternoon Miss Darlian." He began softly, still standing up.

"Why the formalities, Heero?" She answered, offering a hand gesture to one of the seats across from her. "Please, sit down."

"No, thank you. This won't take long." He replied matter-of-factly. Relena discovered that he looked more tense than usual.

"Oh, alright. Are you here to discuss the safety measures for my upcoming trip to Colony L4?" She asked sweetly, trying desperately to smooth the tension that was building in the room.

"No, Miss Darlian. I've come to offer my resignation. I will no longer work for Preventers. From this, my position as your head security officer will be terminated." He answered monotonously, without batting so much as an eyelid.

"But¡K but why Heero? Are you not happy here?" She stuttered, shattered from the news he gave her as he walked over and placed his resignation document in front of her.

"I'm tired. There have been no threats to the government or to you. My time here is no longer of any use to anyone."

'Tired?' Relena never suspected to hear that word from a Gundam Pilot, much less Heero Yuy. There must have been something else that he wasn't sharing, something personal. She decided to refrain from digging deeper into his thoughts.

"You're still needed." She pleaded desperately. "Preventers need someone like you. I need you."

"Miss Darlian, I am well aware of your personal feelings in the matter." He answered, pressing emphasis on the word 'personal.' "They have no relevance to my decision making."

'So he does know.' Relena thought. She realized that she cannot hold onto him for selfish reasons. 'This is it. This is where I have to let him go, in this draft office locale, this desolate location separated not only by the physical boundary of a desk but of the invisible line that is destined to keep us apart.'

"I see." She replied softly, displaying an inaudible expression of pain. A moment of silence then proceeded as they flew off into their own thoughts.

"Good-bye Relena and please look after yourself." He turned around and departed from the room, never turning around once to gaze at her solemn visage.

"Yes, goodbye Heero." She whispered as she painfully watched Heero Yuy leave from her office and from her life forever.
~*~*~

Larson Quentin sat idly watching the wall clock ticking incessantly as he waited his for his next assignment. The thirty-three year old with raving black hair and a deep set of lustrous eyes remained seated in a lavishly designed office building that sat twenty floors above ground, proving its superiority and supremacy against other buildings in the area. Seated comfortably in his opulent leather chair and behind the ancient mahogany table, the vidphone rang with such clarity that forced Larson Quentin out of his daydreaming. Without conscious thought, he answered the ring and greeted his boss with a straight expression of absolute obedience and loyalty.

"Quentin." The man on the phone began.

"Sir." Larson Quentin acknowledged. "I believe everything is in order as you have requested but I am still uncertain about the mission."

"Uncertain?" The dark figure on the screen laughed with a grin. "What is there to be uncertain about? We will overthrow the government and claim what is rightfully ours for the taking¡K total domination of the Unified Earth Sphere Alliance."

"Yes, sir. However, the members of parliament are not exactly the kind of candy that can be gathered quite so easily as those on Halloween." Quentin argued. "Each one of those twelve members on the executive are simply untouchable from the look of their security measures." He paused to breathe and organize his thoughts before continuing. "Furthermore, Relena Darlian cannot ¡K."

"Enough!" The voice hollered immediately by the mention of her name. "I know what's been troubling you, but let me tell you this: We need not sacrifice one of our own to get inside the enemy's camp."

"Sir?"

"True, we do need an assassin but who would be fit for such a task, Quentin?" The stranger asked quietly, straining each syllable as if they were his last. Quentin shook his head in response, waiting with anticipation for the screen's reply.

"Let me ask you something Quentin. What are the qualities needed to make an assassin?"

"Simple! Someone who cannot be caught and someone who the enemy least suspects." Quentin answered without missing a beat.

"Exactly. If we plant an assassin in their mist, who are they to know? Moreover, what if we design the ultimate killer in the only individual they would never have imagined to ever hold a weapon, without them even realizing our motives?" The voice asked with a death defying smirk.

"That would be pure genius sir."

"Quentin, you know what to do." The man concluded before disconnecting, the signal now lost. Quentin leaned against the softly matted seat and pondered when it was the best moment to strike, to set the course in motion when they attacked Relena Darlian.


TBC¡K



Note: Do tell me if you like how this story is starting off so far. Plenty of surprises await!