Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Perfect Assassin ❯ Distortions of Reality ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PERFECT ASSASSIN

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way.


CHAPTER TWO: DISTORTIONS OF REALITY

Two weeks have passed since Heero's departure and another day's work was at an end. While Relena was putting documents away in their correct folders, Duo Maxwell barged in the door unannounced as usual, with a brilliant smile on his face. Having been through the routine before, she didn't show a hint of surprise from his presence. Jogging over to her desk with his aging braid swinging whichever way, the exhausted Vice Foreign Minister couldn't help but smile and chuckle at Duo's amusing character.

"Duo, what are you doing here? Everyone's gone home." She mused, finishing stuffing the last stack of papers into her desk drawers.

He offered a curt bow and replied, "Why, good evening to you too, my dear Lena. I'm here to escort you home since Alexander has decided to take the day off."

As she was putting on her jacket, a frown developed on her face, thinking about her devoted body guard who replaced Heero's duties. 'No, you can't allow yourself to think of him again.' She scolded herself quietly.

"Is something wrong with Alexander?" Relena asked quietly.

"Nothing to worry about. He said that there were some problems at home, with his aunt. I have no idea what, but he'll be back first thing in the morning." He answered as he opened the door and let them both out into the hallway. Despite the scintillating lights that were still shining brightly from the ceiling and office rooms, the entire floor emitted an eerie sense of danger when everyone has left their occupations for home. "Let's get you home, Lena."

"It's such a fine day out, why don't we walk to the penthouse, Duo?" She suggested, gazing at the blazing sun that was reluctant to set on a glorious summer evening.

"Sure, why not?"

They walked in silence. She took small steps, thinking, contemplating the life that she could have had if he had stayed behind. 'You're doing it again, Relena. Stop it or you're going to kill yourself.'

Noticing her discomfort as he always did, he decided to confront the issue that was undoubtedly on her mind. Turning his head in the cute angle that he knew how, he smiled and asked innocently, "Penny for your thoughts? You seem rather quiet tonight."

"Me? Oh, it's nothing. I¡K I was just thinking¡K" about him. She wanted to say but withheld that information from Duo.

"Don't tell me you were thinking about Heero Yuy again, Relena." He countered harshly. Of all the people who knew her well, he understood the tragedy of a failed relationship or in her case, a relationship that never occurred. Her feelings toward the perfect soldier were no more a secret than the very fact that the war was over. Shocked by his sudden outburst, she stopped her legs from taking another step and stared at him.

"I wasn't." She lied skillfully. In fact, she had perfected the skill in lying about her thoughts and emotions when this certain issue was brought up in conversation. Relena knew that she needed to face the truth. 'He never loved you. You were never together. You don't have to right to think about him.'

"Relena¡K." Duo said, brushing a strand of hair that fell out of place on her face. "You know that we're all worried about you right?"

"Well, I¡K"

"And you do realize that we can see through that thick mask of yours, right? So please, stop torturing yourself. Move on with your life Lena. You don't need him." He pleaded.

"You're right. With such great friends by my side," she commented, giving him a gentle nudge, "I have all that I need."



~*~*~


When Relena thanked Duo and returned home feeling drained, she wanted nothing more than to fall on her bed and never wake up. Once she turned on the lights, she was immediately surprised to find a man standing on the opposite side of the room. With long dark hair and a chiseled appearance, the man seemed harmless as he walked toward her, closing the gap between them.

"God, Vincent. You startled me." Relena said as soon as she regained her voice.
"How did you get in here?"

The thirty-five year old associate of Relena's, who possessed the title of Minister of Foreign Affairs, delivered a smirk and replied, "Paegan let me in, but he left to run some errands." Vincent McCallister changed out of his daily attire of a suit and matching tie and wore a T-shirt with dark khakis that signified that he was indeed male. Looking extremely seductive, he had been trying to wiggle a date into Relena's busy schedule and evolving their work relationship into something more intimate. Of course, Relena had noticed how handsomely gorgeous Vincent McCallister was, with his deep set of amber eyes and strong cheekbones to accentuate his face. In fact, all the women from the office building flirted incessantly with him. However, his motives in courting her came to no avail. "I thought maybe we could grab a bite to eat." He asked sweetly, helping her out of her coat.

"Thanks for the offer, but I really prefer just staying home tonight." She declined politely. Feeling guilty and obligated to spend some time with the Minister of Foreign Affairs she offered, "Why don't you stay for some coffee?"

"You know I'd love to."



~*~*~


The bar clock struck midnight as Heero Yuy leaned against the counter. Drinking away his misery, he had no idea what he was doing there. During the past week, he has accomplished nothing aside from the fact that he has drank himself drunk every night, envisioning a life that he will never have nor will he achieve. A life with someone he cares about, someone he sees sharing his life with? Ridiculous!! He is the perfect soldier, destined to live alone.

Feeling the powerful sensation of alcohol whirling inside his brain, he decided to pay Relena a visit. Within a few seconds, he was standing in front of her doorstep, without any recollection of how he got there. Alcohol did wonders for him when he felt undeniably alone. The manipulating drinks he consumed not only distorted his mind, but altered time as well. It was amazing how fast time flew by, he thought as he rang the doorbell, waiting impatiently for her to open the door.

She was asleep hours before and was awaken by a chiming sound coming from the main room. It took several seconds for her mind to wash away the remnants of sleep before she figured out that the front bell was ringing. With reluctance, she put on her robe and answered the door.

"I'm coming, just a minute!" Relena shouted. She quickly checked her nightstand and discovered that it was three in the morning. Who on earth would be calling on her at this hour?

She opened the door, prepared to yell at the person on the other side of the door for disrupting her much-needed sleep, when she saw him standing there.

"Heero¡K"




TBC¡K