Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Raptures of Paradise ❯ Her Name is Quintessential ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Well, hope you like this, and this wets your appetite for the WHOLE story. Note, I'm obviously a Non-Yaoi writer, and a person who tends to write sappy stories, so if you don't like this kind of story, then GET OUT NOW!!! Please note that I don't any of the characters, except Nova and the villains. This does have a Sailor Moon crossover in it. This is a chapter that give some insight on the least discussed character in my fic: Quint.

Gundam Wing: Raptures of Paradise
Chapter 19---------- Her Name is Quintessential
By Sailor Celaeno

Quint was the first to return headquarters. She had succeeded in applying for a job in the Preventers Organization as a mechanic and weapons expert. Her mission was to spy on the technology and tactical information on the Preventers. No doubt they were investigating the attacks on the most important people of the ESUN. No doubt, Quint was the most neglected of the team members. However, she was not at all bothered. Rather, she was more comfortable doing things by herself. She didn't always trust being in a group, but the Raptures were different. They were a real sisterhood and Quint had to admit that she liked the idea of having four other girls watch her back. It was very comforting. It had been a while since she found anyone to trust.
"I'm back!" she called. There was silence as she realized that there was no one else there. She sighed and poured herself some hot chocolate in the kitchen.

A.C. 183
Uncle Doc had brought Quintessential to the warehouse. It was dark and cold, but it was still warmer than outside. They walked around the building for a few minutes before they stopped to a large room, where there were 5 other men. "Look boys. I'm back!" shouted Uncle Doc.
"What's that?" one man pointed at little Quintessential.
"It's a kid, you dumb ass!" shouted Uncle Doc.
"No kidding, smart ass. Where'd you get the squirt?" asked another man.
"Found her at the dinner. Most pathetic thing you ever seen. Her mother is cold dead. Nowhere else for her to go. So I figure we'd make use of the kid for something."
"Like what?" asked a third man.
"Who knows, I'm sure she's smart kid. She'll learn quick and be an extra pair of hands."
"Hnnn......" The men discussed and soon agreed to keep the kid, for the sake of an extra pair of hands.
Quintessential was very alone and scared in the strange place she saw before her. Uncle Doc left her alone with these men and never returned for her. However, one of the men was very nice to her. "Hey Quint. Mind if I call you Quint?"
"No sir," she said quietly.
"That's nice. My name is Jack Mallone," he held out his hand to her, and she weakly shook it. "I know you must be kinda scared. But you know, I'll watch out for you."
"Really sir?"
"Sure, kid. And look. None of this sir stuff. You can call me Jack. And who knows... maybe... if you like me enough... you can call me Dad," he smiled warmly. He was a reasonably clean shaven man. He wore a gray wool hat over his balding white hair. He was a bit scruffy in his clothing, but there was nothing but kindness that came through.
"I will. Maybe s- I mean Jack."
"There you go. Here. Have some of this." He handed her a half of a sandwich. "I know it's not much of a dinner for a little girl, but it's the best we can do darlin'. The boys and I'll try to scramble something more decent to eat."
Quint munched on the cheese and ham sandwich. True it was the best dinner, but it was something. She was getting hungry and hadn't eaten anything in a few hours. A little while before Mama fell asleep in the bush. It's strange that Mama would still be asleep in the bush, she thought to herself.
"Look Jack. If you like the kid, you can keep her. I ain't to good with kids. You'se the only one among us that knows anythin' about kids," said Joe, one of the other men.
"Yeah. I know." He looked down at Quint who had fallen asleep. "It's funny. She kinda reminds me of Libby before... before... Well... It's still nice to have a little girl of my own again." He smiled as he stroked her curly hair. "Even has Libby's hair."
"Look Jack. You stop that! Don't you start getting all soft and mushy. It ain't your fault that Susan, and Libby were killed. You weren't there..."
"That's exactly why it's my fault. I was running around boozing up a storm. And gambling my Christmas bonus at the track, but I couldn't even keep my family together one goddam Christmas! They died because I should've been there," Jack exploded as he led Joe outside, far away from Quint. Little did he realize, Quint could hear him. The sad story of Jack's past was imbedded into her mind.
"Jack... if you had been there... the robbers would've shot you too. You wouldn't have been able to save them. Susan still would've gotten shot and Libby still would've been smothered with her pillow." Jack look sadly as he remember the horrible night when he returned to see police cars at his house and sadly telling him that his family was killed by robbers. Two more victims of senseless crime. And two more in that year's crime stats.
Quint cried herself to sleep. She felt sorry for Jack. It's just so sad.

A.C. 186
"Happy birthday!" The scruffy men said as they presented little Quint a birthday befitting a little girl who was turning eight. Luckily the locket she had told them her birth date.
"Yay!" She clapped her hands excitedly. It was a white cake with pink edging and lettering with her name. Quint. She was so happy to see the lovely cake.
"Blow out the candles!" said Jack as he smiled at her.
"Okay Daddy." She blew out the candles. Eventually, she began considering Jack Mallone as her father, since she couldn't remember her real father much. The memory of her mother was slowly fading away, as all she could remember was a sleepy lady in the bush.
She opened presents that the men gave her. She got a small red sweater from Joe. A new doll from Bob, and hair ribbons from Charlie. She was now a member of the Night Crawler Society. An underground gang of thieves that stole for their own way to survive in the colonies. Jack had been a mechanic and a man of many talents. Quint became is daughter and he taught her his tricks to pick locks, crack computer codes, make bombs, and the other tools of his trade. She was proficient in many of these arts and was the pride and joy of the gang.
The cake was eaten and they relaxed because the next night they would be stealing Earth's Sphere military information. Quint had begged to join them in the plan. They were reluctant in getting a young girl involved, but they soon decided that she'd be useful as a distraction.

"Excuse me sir." Quint walked up to a security guard.
"Hey kid. What you doing out at night like this? Ain't ya' parents worried?"
"Well... I'm lost and I don't know how to get home." Quint said innocently.
"I'll call the police and --- AH!!!" he said as Joe knocked him unconscious.
"Good job kid." He saw Quint look worried at the guard. "Don't worry, little lady. He's just taking a nap." She nodded and walked in with the others. Charlie and Bob made quick work of stealing his ID card and other objects that may be of some use.
They walked into the front lobby and found a door with a security access panel. "Okay. Use the card," ordered Tom, their leader.
Charlie quickly swiped the card through the slot. "All clear. We're in."
"Did you fix the cameras?" Tom spoke through an ear piece.
"Don't you worry a thing boss. We've got that covered," a staticky voice replied. It was Jack who had tapped into the security computer and fixed the cameras.
"Okay kid. Think you can pick this lock?" Tom asked Quint as
they approached another door that had a lock that required passwords.
"Just give me a couple of minutes." She hooked up a mini laptop and began typing furiously. Jack had taught her how to type and crack codes using the computer. After a few moments of typing, she smiled happily. She nonchalantly typed the password into the key pad. The door opened.
"Nice work kid." Tom patted her on the head. "There's a future for you yet."
"Thanks Uncle Tom."
They proceeded to another corridor and saw motion detectors. "Okay, kid tell us how to get across." There were checkerboard pattern tiles on the floor.
Charlie and Bob prepared to make their way across the floor towards the motion detector's computer. "Okay." She typed on the lap top and told them when to move.

"Nice work Quintie my dear." Charlie patted the girl on the head. "You did good. You were able to get us across. And we have the information we need."
Quint was proud of herself. All she ever wanted was for her unlces and her father to be proud of her. She sat alone in the room, she and her father lived in at the warehouse. She always stared up into the stars and stare at them for hours on end. Jack finally got around to asking her the question that burned in his mind. "Quintie?"
"Yes, daddy?"
"Why do you always stare up at the stars?"
"I don't know. I just have to."
Jack furrowed his brows. "You have to?"
"There is something about those sky that makes me want to look. I think I belong up there. With the stars, I mean."
"Belong up there?" Jack looked a little sad. 'What does she mean, she belongs up there?' He sat beside her. "Why do you belong up there?"
"They are so pretty. People love looking at the stars. I want people to love me."
Jack was almost ready to shed a tear. "But, aren't you happy with me?"
"Oh of course! I love you always daddy. It's just that, I don't feel like I belong here. I just don't feel like this is where I will go. I'm going to the stars."
It was then that Jack understood. She wanted to belong somewhere and this was NOT the place she belonged in. "You know kid. One day, I'll take you into the stars. We'll leave Earth, and live in the colonies."
"Really? We will?"
"Yes. Just remember that all those stars are the people that are no longer here, but in Heaven. They're looking down and they are beautiful because they want to show everyone how happy they are."
Quint smiled at the lovely thought. She felt tired and Jack tucked her into bed. She yawned and made herself comfortable under the warm sheets. "Daddy?"
"Yes, Quintie?"
"Will you always be here for me?"
Jack looked a little sadly. "I can only try. There will be a day where we must be apart. One day, I may leave and I can't return. Whenever I'm not here with you, just look up in the sky at the stars. I will be watching the stars and you will too. I will be in the stars."
Quint was satisfied with that answer and went to bed, not thinking of anything else.

A.C. 191
"Alright. We all know the plan?"
"Right." They all prepared to break into the building. Their next assignment was to steal some weapons from the Federation weapons depot. Jack had already planted bombs to set off, in case they were discovered. It was too dangerous a mission to get 13-year-old Quint involved. However, she protested enough to finally get them to relent.
Quint calmed herself as she prepared to steal a truck that carried a laser gun that had just recently arrived. "Hm... this should be a snap." She made her way into the driver's seat and turned on the engine. She already knew how to steal cars, so stealing a truck was no snap for her.
"Who's out there?" a soldier shouted. He began firing as she stepped the gas of the truck. She raced as fast as she could. The other men in the gang began firing back.
"Fire!" more soldiers appeared from the barracks and retaliated at the thieves.
"XDL4 Laser Cannon has been stolen!" an officer reported to Colonel Lutz.
"Damn it! Shoot those thieves. Do ANYTHING necessary. I want that cannon back here NOW!!!!" The soldier ran out of the office to relay the orders.

Jack had been nosing around the computer files. While everyone else stole weapons for their own cache, he had heard there was lots of tactical information that the Depot had in their files. He couldn't resist and began hacking the files. "What? Operation Meteor? What in the world?"
The hallways were filled with commotion. "Stop the thieves!" A voice shouted.
Jack's heart beated soundly. "What is this Operation Meteor all about?" He began hacking into the files. He found tactical data, and designs for advanced mobile suits. Despite his worry for Quint and the others, these files fascinated him. He quickly Dled them and transferred the files to Quint's computer, and another computer that he left at the hideout. Jack read through the files and was amazed and horrified at what he was seeing before him. "Ohmigod! Those freaking bastards! They're going to kill the people on Earth and then take over! But wait a minute… if this is created by rebel colonists… then
WHY is this information on a computer at a ESA army barracks??? Unless…"
Jack's mind whirled as he realized, "Son of a bitch! The senior officers at this base are siding with the colonists!!!!"

"Sir?"
"What is it NOW?" shouted Colonel Lutz.
"We're detecting unauthorized access to one of the computers in the data processing room."
"What??!! Send any free men over there and find the bottom of this! You lummox!" shouted Colonel Lutz. He stormed away as his frightened underlings quickly relayed the colonel's orders. 'Fucking son of a bitch! If Dekim Barton finds out that a bunch of low-life thieves were able to steal the cannon and get access to Operation Meteor, he'll have my hide for this…'

"We know you're in there!"
Jack peered around the room. "Damn! There's no way out, except through the door." He sighed. He had just finished transferring the data and implanted a virus that would activate, if they tried to locate the computers that he had sent the data to. He sighed as he realized that he was doomed to be shot by these soldiers. It was already dangerous that they were Earth Sphere soldiers, but to make things worse, they were rebel soldiers, who'd kill anyone that threatened their mission. As the soldiers slowly began breaking down the door, Jack only had one thought on his mind.
"I'm sorry Quint. I'm sorry baby. This is that time I have to go. Just look up kid. Just look up Quintie…"

"Damn it Uncle Charlie. We HAVE to go back for dad. You can't just leave him there!" Quint screamed at them when they reached the hideout.
"I'm sorry Quint. Look… I dunno what to say…" started Charlie.
Joe listened to the radio. "Hey those soldiers are communicating…" They had somehow managed to get access to the radio signal of the barracks they had just fled from.
"Confirmed… hacker has been terminated…"
Quint teared and she screamed with the fury of a wailing banshee. She glared at the men that had been her uncles. "How could you? HOW COULD YOU!!!!!!!!" They only had remorseful looks on their face. "How could you do that to him? I thought he was your friend! I thought you would be loyal, and help each other out. What ever happened to that?!" she screeched at them with a hardening heart.
"Look Quint… you see…"
"No.. NO! I don't want any of your bullshit, Charlie. All my time with you guys, you've only said stuff to humor me. But this is the ONE time… that NO amount of humoring will get you out of… I'll NEVER forgive you for this… NEVER!!!!" She screamed. She raced as fast as she could out of that warehouse.
Her heart trembled with such pain, and was filled with such darkness that held her once happy spirit captive. She could only scream and rant and rave at the empty used car lot that was a couple of blocks from the warehouse. It was an isolated part of town, and the gang that she lived with were the only ones that lived around there. "Why? WHY???" She screamed. She saw a multitude of stars that shined in the night. She didn't care about their beauty. Quint could only see the taunting eyes of angels, and other heavenly bodies, mocking her.
"It's not fair… IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!" She only screamed at the sky. "Why did this have to happen to me?" She broke down in tears. She fell to the ground on her knees and stared at the sky again. "Will it be my fate, to be alone?"
A gentle breeze picked up. Despite the warmth of the evening, Quint trembled with cold as the breeze washed over her. Her face streamed with long ago tears that she never allowed to come. The little soldier of fortune's luck was slowly running out. She simply lied down on the ground and stared into the night sky.

It seemed like hours had gone by. And hours did go by. Quint could only keep staring at the sky. The world around her didn't exist anymore because there was nothing there to look forward. There would be no happy birthdays. There would be no special hot chocolates with the tiny marshmallows every wintry Saturday night. There would be no wishing on shooting stars. There would be no happy dreams of living among the stars. What good are warm and beautiful dreams, if there was no longer anything warm and beautiful things left? The stars were slowly fading away, making way for the rising dawn. Quint couldn't understand it, but she suddenly started singing. It was a song that Jack sang for her when she couldn't sleep, or when she was unhappy. Of course later on, she discovered that Libby also loved that song too. "I don't know, what to do? When I'm not with you. But when I see you, I'm glad again. I dream the day, we'll be together. Hand in hand. We'll walk in a grassy field again. We'll laugh, and play, and sing again. Just you and me, you and me, you and me." Quint could almost hear Jack's voice again.
"If you ever want me, I'll be there. If you want to find me, just look up." Those words echoed throughout her head. She couldn't help hearing it. Those were the only words that could comfort her. They made her feel the sorrow leave her. Was it hope? Perhaps it was hope, but then she had a certain emptiness that still clung to her.
"I will get my revenge. Bittersweet and true." Quint only stared at the rising sun. With the rising sun, came the start of a new day, and the end of night's lonely terrors.

Quint had been missing for nearly a month. She ran away, and Joe decided not to think much more of her. She wouldn't have had much fire to join the gang any more. There was no guarantee that she wouldn't try to get back at them by on purposely sabotaging their latest heists. "There's no guarantee that she won't get you back Joe. She's just like Jack that way. She won't let something go unpunished."
Joe kept that thought to himself. There was no need to worry the other boys. Besides they pretty much had a good idea that she would try to get back at them. Quint was always a determined girl, and forgiveness is out of the question. "She has as much right to kill us all as anybody else."
Charlie was typing on the computer that was always used by the gang for information and other such things. He was checking on the e-mail when he noticed a new e-mail. "Hey, we got another message from Barron!"
"Barron? Well, open it. He probably has another item for us to snatch," replied Charlie.
Charlie opened the e-mail. After DLing the file, he opened it and a message flashed. "Warning: Computer Self-Destruct has been activated."
"Son of a bitch!" screamed Charlie.
Joe immediately saw the message. A smile curled his lips. "Well, well Quint. It was about time that you strike. You took us when we least expected it."
Charlie glared at Joe. "You fucking Bastard! You knew this was going to happen! You knew Quint was gonna come back to get us!"
"Oh please Charles. Let's not play so coy. You knew it in your own gut that this would happen. One day, someone would find out about us and kill us all. Quite frankly, I would prefer that things end this way," Joe said nonchalantly.
Charlie only sighed. "I guess. At least, Quint loved us once. I suppose we do deserve this."
"Yes… we did."

Quint was satisfied when she heard the explosion. They were dead and now her revenge was done. There would be no trace linking her to the bomb. Jack had set a destruction device to that no one could access the computer files if it was ever confiscated. It also functioned as a bomb. Quint simply created a program that activated the self-destruct signal. She walked away without a word or for her one-time family. Now she had no one left.
About a year later, Avatar recruited her for some mission. Her ultimate desire would be granted to her. What DID she want? She only felt empty and the Raptures were her only reason to live. What would happen to her now?

Author's Note: Well, I gave you all a look into the life and mind of Quintessential, the least known of the Raptures. I apologize for not giving you more action and SO much angst and psychological stuff. But please bear with me here. I'm hoping by understanding these women's pasts, you'd understand them better and therefore, not hate them TOO much. I'm gonna give you more action in Chapter 20.