Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Road Not Taken ❯ Part V ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ROAD NOT TAKEN


Disclaimer: Gundam Wing, I don't own it!


~*~*~

An extensive search for Victor Sanchez proved more difficult to Duo than expected. No records of his birth, or education were shown on display. According to the worldwide Preventers' directory, Sanchez does not exist. Still, Duo did not give in to the stubborn nature of his findings. By hacking through firewalls and restricted sites, he found the classified transcripts regarding the deaths of Senator Johnson among the twelve political delegates that were murdered. Only the thirteenth member who signed the Unified Treaty remains alive, Vice Foreign Minister Darlian. On the days where the politicians met their unfortunate demise, Sanchez was assigned as their sole bodyguard, which clearly identified that he was present during each successful assassination attempt.

'Could he have seen Heero?' Duo wondered out loud. If he did see the Zero pilot, it would certainly prove that Yuy was the one sending those letters to Relena and he would then be the one they should focus on. Then again, assumptions never justify the means.

"This could destroy Relena if she learns the truth."


~*~*~

A young woman had stood atop this cliff before, overseeing the entire landscape and ocean. Relena gazed at the scintillating night sky and admired the way in which the waves reflected the brightness of the stars. Despite the vast distance between herself and the colonies, she knew that she had succeeded. True peace had been maintained. This was her paradise. Her heaven.

Behind her, she heard leaves crunching lightly on the sidewalk. Someone was walking up to her. Although she was unable to see the figure, she sensed his presence. With each lingering step, the distance between them shortened, which increased her heart rate in turn. He felt so close that Relena found it difficult to breathe.

She turned around to face him in order to conduct a light conversation, hoping to break the tension forming within her. "Have you seen the stars tonight Heero?"

The shadow fixed his gaze at her, never breaking contact, never replying.

"I find them quite lovely from this exact location. This place brings back so many memories. Don't you think?" She continued softly, almost phrasing her words in a melodic rhythm. The wind began to pick up speed and danced around her blond tresses.

"Relena, you know why I am here." He said coldly, while exposing a gun at the same time.

A rush of mixed emotions stirred Relena's mind:
Gunshots are heard.
The terrifying explosion, which led to the death of her father.
The newfound discovery of her true identity as Relena Peacecraft.
Heero saved her from the Mobile Suits attacking the school.
The sudden realization that Zechs Merquise was her brother, Milliardo Peacecraft.
Heero off to fight again: his inability to fear death, to avoid her affections.

How could someone cause her so much pain and euphoria at the same time? She could not believe the tremendous amount of heartache she went through for this one man, yet she still valued his life over hers. She knew this feeling was greater than that of love or friendship. It surpassed all emotion that existed within her being.

She nodded solemnly before answering, "You're holding onto that promise you made to me ten years ago."

"Affirmative. And this time Relena, I won't fail." Without any further exchange of words, he aimed the weapon at her heart and fired once.

The bullet pierced her white blouse easily and penetrated her skin with the greatest precision and accuracy. She didn't feel the pain, but only felt the dampness of her clothes, sticking to her skin: Her blood. Still warm.

"Goodbye Heero." Relena whispered before she collapsed onto the stone-cold ground.

~*~*~

Relena immediately sat upright on her queen-sized bed, shaken from the nightmare. No sounds rang out from her stressed vocal cords for she must have been too shocked from what her mind had portrayed. Perspiration glittered like a sheet of ice on her forehead. Her breaths came in raspy waves and she couldn't calm her nerves. She turned to face the incoming moonlight from the exterior. It was still dark out.

A rustle of light footsteps was heard from the hallway. Relena unconsciously grew stiff and apprehensive by the sound. She unwillingly left the comfort of her bed to see who it was. Perhaps Milliardo was awoken by a phone call or maybe it was Sanchez conducting a scan of the floors for any intruders. With a quick twist of the knob, she walked out into the dark hallway.

"Anyone there? Victor? Milliardo?" She asked the death of the night. Silence replied in return.

Before her, a shadow roamed along the corridor with steady movements. It was too late for Relena to have noticed his presence when he began approaching her. With gliding agility, he pranced upon her and propelled the shocked foreign minister onto the carpeted surface, throwing them both off balance and knocking the wind out of her at the same time. The attacker pulled out a glistening blade and waved the weapon in front of Relena before she regained her focus on the man sitting straddled over her limp body. She blinked a couple of times to ensure that it wasn't a dream. The painful impact of the fall on her legs and vertebrae proved to her that this was as real as the realization of her father's death all those years ago. Despite her attempts to wriggle away from his strong grasp, her efforts deemed futile and unsuccessful. Relena couldn't distinguish who her attacker was for his body was consumed by utter shadow and darkness. She wanted so much to see the face of her killer.

'Time to die my dove." The attacker announced in a hoarse whisper. He held the blade mid-air, prepared to make the final plunge.

Relena waited.


TBC...