Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Road Not Taken ❯ Part IV ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ROAD NOT TAKEN


Disclaimer: Gundam Wing, I don't own it!

~*~*~

Milliardo escorted Relena back to her room and closed the French doors leading to the balcony. Walking past her nightstand, she discovered yet another unmarked envelope with her name inscribed on it. When she stopped abruptly, Milliardo, too, stopped beside her and noticed what she was staring at. He placed a steady hand behind her back and motioned her to sit down. A soft knock came from the opened door and a lean man with tousled black hair walked into the room, wearing a dark suit and grey tie.

"Excuse me, am I interrupting anything?" The man said quietly, feeling the tension in the room. Milliardo walked over and shook his hand. They turned to Relena simultaneously.

"Relena, this is who we sent to watch you. Victor Sanchez, meet Relena Darlian." Milliardo began the introductions.

She plastered her face with a polite smile and offered her hand to Sanchez, "It's a pleasure to meet you." She said. He nodded curtly in return and eyed the room suspiciously. His hand felt like stone cold ice when they firmly shook hands in greeting. Relena had a feeling that there was something more to her new bodyguard than meets the eye.

Unconsciously, she returned her attention to the envelope sitting on her marble nightstand.

"It must be from Heero." Milliardo admitted before Relena could make her own assumptions.

"Are you accusing Heero for all the messages that I have been receiving?" Relena questioned irritatingly. From the way her brother stood motionless without uttering a single reply, she knew her answer.

"I sure hope you are making a cruel joke Milliardo." She exclaimed as she tore open the seal and reached for the note. It read...


SOON MY DOVE. IT WILL BE OVER SOON.


Before she could say any further on the subject, her brother snatched the message from her hand and stormed out of the room yelling, "Don't let her out of your sight Sanchez."

"He's slightly overprotective of your well-being isn't he?" Sanchez asked, speaking for the first time.

Relena said nothing as she threw the envelope in the trash.

~*~*~

"Are you insane? You're telling us that Heero is suspected of murdering those politicians and now he's after Relena?" Duo asked exasperated, hands flying in the air. "This is Heero we're talking about here."

"People change. Soldiers change and you all know very well what I mean by that." Milliardo countered as he sat down at the conference table. Following the incident in Relena's room that morning, he called upon the Gundam pilots for a brief meeting regarding his conclusions to the case.

"There's something not right about this picture." Trowa commented, arms crossed in a relaxed gesture. "What's his motive?"

"Why attack ten years later?" Wufei added.

They were excellent questions, all of which Milliardo had no answers. He simply shook his head to signify his uncertainty. With such serious accusations, no one was to be taken lightly, especially someone of Heero's background.

"That's not important right now. We need to track down Heero Yuy and make sure he stays away from Relena. I'm assuming you all know what event is taking place next week?" Milliardo met everyone's gaze, in order to grasp their attention.

"The embassy ball." Quatre responded.

"Correct. That is the place that our mystery man will most likely strike and I..."

"We'll be ready." Wufei said, finishing off Zech's final thought.


~*~*~

Relena felt uneasy remaining at home with a stranger even though he was supposed to be her protector. She assumed that the feeling would dissipate as time proceeded but it increased instead. Without thinking about it, she picked up the phone and dialled Duo's number.

"Maxwell."

"Duo? It's Relena."

"Oh hey princess. How are you holding up?"

"It's holding." Relena chuckled.

"We're pretty busy down here, finding Heero and all." Duo said sadly. Relena figured that he didn't agree with her brother's conclusions anymore than she did.

She sighed before saying, "I refuse to believe that Heero's the one."

"I know how you feel. In fact, we all know your feelings toward the perfect soldier but this is an extremely complicated situation." He explained forlornly. "To be honest with you, I'm more concerned about your new bodyguard."

"You mean Victor Sanchez?" Relena asked, sounding surprised. "What about him?"

Duo replied hesitantly, "I don't know. Maybe it's nothing."


TBC...