Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Road Not Taken ❯ Part VIII ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ROAD NOT TAKEN


Disclaimer: Gundam Wing, I don't own it!


~*~*~

Duo entered the vicinity where Preventers' kept Heero custody with confidence. He knew this building inside and out, from the extended metal blockaded corridors to the high tech machinery running the place. Milliardo sent him to perform the intense interrogation with the only suspect they have on the stand and by god was he going to prove the lieutenant wrong about the ordeal. Heero stood on the far left wall, arms folded across his chest in a relaxed state, although his current situation proved otherwise. Without even acknowledging Duo's presence, he said, "Zechs sent you didn't he?"

Duo nodded in return and sat down on the metallic chair closest to him and began, "Heero, I need to ask you some questions."

Remaining motionless and silent, Duo suspected that was the most he was going to get out of his supposed friend. "Heero, did you write these letters?" Duo asked, pulling out the notes they have on file thus far, all claiming for Relena's life in one form or another.

He cocked his head over in Duo's direction and gazed at the content on the pieces of paper and replied monotonously, "They're from the culprit who wants Relena dead."

"Could that person be you, Heero?"

He simply turned his head back to its original position and closed his eyes, no reply this time. Duo didn't need a response for he already knew the answer.

"Right. Do you know who it is?" Duo asked.

"You need to protect her. I know he'll strike once he gets a second chance." Heero proclaimed, without answering Duo's question.

"I know that. What I want to know is, who's doing this?" Duo said impatiently.

"He's closer than you think, Maxwell."

"Well? You going to tell me or what?"

"You're the detective, you figure it out." Heero replied, smirking. "Zechs won't listen to reason. He's too stubborn with his pride. You must protect her until..." Heero trailed off.

"Until what? Until you break out of here? Is that it, Heero?" Duo concluded, exasperated. "You can't do that. He'll have your head!"

Heero answered indulgently, "Better my head than her life."

"Spoken like a true man in love." Duo chuckled.

The perfect soldier retorted, "You're skating on thin ice, Maxwell."

Duo laughed wholeheartedly and started walking out of the room with the prank letters safely tucked in the evidence folder. He knew what he must do. There was absolutely no question that he needed to conduct a false report to the former Lieutenant Zechs and play the entire scene by ear. The former Deathscythe pilot undeniably knew when it was hopeless to find the evidence, to prove Heero's innocence. Additionally, too much time would be wasted in trying to free him. Why not let him dig his own way out, since that will most likely be the case anyhow.


~*~*~

Relena sat by the windowsill in her bedroom as she held tightly to her brown bear, recollecting all the events that have occurred up to date. Finally, she was released from the hospital, and allowed to recuperate in the company of her own home and her own people.

Pagan tapped gently on the open door and announced softly, "Letter for you Miss Relena." He walked over to where she was sitting and placed the envelope in her hand. She smiled with gratitude and he squeezed her shoulder for the much needed support and comfort.

"Thank you Pagan. Any idea who it's from?"

"No markings that I know of. Victor handed it to me earlier in the hall today. Apparently he said it was from the office." He replied.

"The office." Relena whispered as she placed her bear down and opened the sealed envelope nervously. "It couldn't be from... him."

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST, MY DOVE.
DON'T THINK YOU CAN ESCAPE FROM YOUR FATE.
THE EMBASSY BALL IS WHERE IT ENDS MY LOVE.
YOU CAN'T RUN. IT'S TOO LATE. TOO LATE.


"What does the letter say, Miss Relena?" Pagan asked, curiously.

"It's nothing." Relena answered a bit too quickly.

"The embassy ball has been moved to this Saturday evening." Pagan reported. "Will you be ready, my dear?"

Relena didn't hear his question. Instead, she stared out her window and was fixated on the doves flying around the vicinity of the Peacecraft Mansion. Such agile creatures they were, and beautiful as well. She wondered if they would have the same fate as hers.

"Relena? Are you alright?"

"Yes? I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"The ball, Saturday night, 6:00 sharp. You have four days to prepare for it, as well as your speech that you'll be making that night. Will you be ready?" Pagan repeated, providing more information than before.

"Yes, of course I will. Thank you Pagan." Relena answered, with slightly more confidence than her previous response.

Once he received the answer that he wanted to hear, he left her alone although, he was certain that something was wrong with Relena. From the first moment he was introduced to her, he felt an overwhelmingly close bond to the younger version of Relena. He still recalls her soft rosy skin, the golden tresses that still fall behind her today, and her aquamarine eyes. His fatherly sixth sense constantly surfaced when it came down to Relena's thoughts and emotions; he knew that something indeed wasn't right with her.

When Pagan left Relena to herself and her new letter, only one thought crossed her mind:
Four more days to live, four more days and I shall cease to exist.

"Four more days."


TBC...


NOTE: I'd like to thank all of you who have been reviewing this fic. It's greatly appreciated!!!! The only reason why I'm still writing is because of all of you ... so THANK YOU!!! ^_^