Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Seventh Heaven ❯ Forget the Headphones ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Forget the headphones

Series: Seventh Heaven

Author: Sorceress Fantasia

Pairings: 1+2

Warnings: Duo POV, AU (our time)

Archive: Lev's Lair

Fanfiction.net

MediaMiner

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but the story. GW and all the brands mentioned here belong to whomever they belong to. Thank you for paying attention. ^o^

Thanks to Dark Tenchi for beta-ing!

I love music.

It's amazing how a few sounds that probably mean nothing alone can sound so heavenly when put together. The lyrics too. God forbid the words actually mean something. Sure, some do. But when you look at the music industry today, you'll notice that most don't. In fact, some songs have lyrics that borders on pure stupidity. It doesn't really matter though. After all, music is the melody. The words are just there to add some bite and coax naïve little girls into going crazy for the singers.

Lyrics mean nothing to me. I don't listen to music anyway. I *feel* music.

The way the beat and rhythm of a tune synchronizing with my body's natural vibration relaxes me, and I can forget about nearly anything during those moments. Like the tons of homework that are due tomorrow, my squeaky professors and those not so funny cracks made about my braid today. I can forget all about those, once I get my headphones covering my ears and the music humming into my body. I can even forget about the fact that I have to get off the bus.

I've heard others say that politicians are some of the most influential people. I don't disagree, because that is true. They are the ones who decide on many things on behalf of the common people. But I'd like to think that musicians are even more so. The music they compose reflects their emotions, and in turn, inducing us to feel the same. An upbeat, catchy tune is more likely to put someone in a party mood than a soft, melancholy one. A peaceful, quiet melody calms and soothes my mind.

That's why I love music.

But today, I think otherwise. As my hands reach for my disc man inside my bag, I withdraw them. Perhaps it is time to listen to the sounds of the world around me. After I got addicted to music years ago, I haven't had an opportunity to truly listen to my surroundings. And now that I think about it, I may have lost touch with nature.

My ears pick up sounds that were previously drowned out by my headphones. I hear the low rumbling of the bus' engine. I hear the soft giggling of the two teenage girls in the seat beside mine. I hear the soft but harsh grunting of the man into his cell phone just a few seats before me. I hear the hustle and bustle of an outdoor diner. I hear the rustle of the wind.

I smile as a wisp of hair that has escaped my braid whips my cheek in a light caress.

For once, my eyes are not closed as my music drums into my ears, and I can see the things happening outside. I see the trees falling backwards in a haze of green as the bus moves. I see a red sports car zooming off in the other side of the road, leaving a line of dark smoke. I see young children bouncing out of school, their parents holding their hands and taking them home. I see people jaywalking, scurrying across the road like they were mice with a cat hot on their trails. I see the bright glare of the green man, and the road is covered by a flurry of people.

Things inside are not nearly as interesting. The bus I'm taking looks very empty… and quiet. Apart from those two teenage kids and the man, the rest of the commuters look subdued. And that's the nice way of putting it.

The bus comes to a stop, and the doors fling open in a loud 'whoosh'. The two girls scamper off, leaving the bus in near desolate silence as it drives into a quiet district in the suburbs. I sigh. So much for listening to the world.

But someone boards the bus, and I silently hope that he or she will make some noise. I still have quite some time before the bus will reach my destination.

It is a man. He looks young, probably in his early twenties. His clothes redefine 'fashion'. A green tank top that shows the rippling of his firm torso and a pair of worn-out, faded blue jeans clinging onto his legs would probably look strange on anyone else, but it just looks shaggy on him. His wild mob of hair adds onto that effect.

Just as I'm thinking that he will be an interesting character, I see the frown on his face. And I'm instantly bored. He'll be just another sulky man on the bus, I surmise.

I look out the window again, hoping to catch a glimpse of something worthy of note, and I nearly jump when someone slides into the seat just beside mine. I turn. It's him.

He smiles a little nervously, and I grin back. Not sulky, but definitely shy. Now that I take a second glance at him, I notice that he's actually pretty good looking. Cobalt blue eyes, straight nose, pink lips. Yeah, he looks pretty good. But still, he's too quiet for my taste, and I turn back again.

Just as I'm about to doze off, I hear something.

"You forgot your headphones today?"

"What?" I ask, and I'm almost surprised that it's him talking. He doesn't strike me as someone who would talk to strangers.

He suddenly looks unsure of himself, and he cups his ears like he's grabbing a pair of headphones. "Your headphones. You forgot to bring them?"

I blink.

He seems to notice my confusion, and he continues, "You've been having your headphones on the last couple of days I met you on this bus."

I'm taken aback. He's actually boarded the same bus as I did in a few consecutive days already? And I notice him only today! Gee… I must be missing out a lot with those headphones on. If it continues, I think I might die a cloud-9 death by walking onto a railway track when the train arrives because I'm too absorbed in my music to notice where I'm walking.

"No. I just didn't feel like listening to it today." I reply, and I see a little sparkle in his eyes, like he's… happy to see me without my headphones.

"Aa…" He nods, his eyes gazing away from me. "…May I know your name?"

"My name?"

"I've been… waiting to talk to you these last few days, but I thought it would be rude to since you had your headphones on…"

I smile, strangely reminded of the flirtatious girls in my university. Before I can answer, however, he butts in.

"Erm… it's rude of me to not introduce myself first, aren't I? I'm Heero."

I grin wider, a little amused by his… what, manners? Usually, those who are interested in me are much more straightforward and bold. They would just come up to me, gesture for me to take off my headphones and take my hands into a handshake while telling me how much they adore me. They don't bother with their names, until I ask, and they'll be surprised as to why I even asked in the first place. Apparently, this Heero is different.

"I'm Duo." And I hold out my hand.

He takes it almost hesitantly, and shakes it gently. His hand feels a little rough, but not too much.

When I finally do alight, I've gotten his phone number hastily scribbled onto a piece of rumpled paper. He didn't ask for my number, and I didn't offer to give it to him either. So I guess I'll have to call him if I want to make friends with him.

But somehow, I think I'll be seeing him on the bus tomorrow again. And the day after tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after…

When the bus drives out of sight, I sigh and start trekking back to my apartment. Feeling the familiar weight of my headphones in my backpack, I smile suddenly. Slinging the backpack to my side, I unzip it and take the headphones out. With a grin, I toss the thing into the trashcan.

I'm getting a pair of earphones tomorrow.

-owari-

Sorceress Fantasia @ 1st March 2003