Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Seventh Heaven ❯ 11 over 10 ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: 11 over 10

Series: Seventh Heaven

Author: Sorceress Fantasia

Pairings: 2+1

Warnings: Duo POV, AU (our time)

Archive: Lev's Lair

Fanfiction.net

MediaMiner

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but the story. GW and all the brands mentioned here belong to whomever they belong to. Thank you for paying attention. ^o^

Thanks to Dark Tenchi for beta-ing! ^^

My lessons end early on the first day of the new term. Thank god for that. I'm not sure how much longer I could have held on to my composure, and not send my fist flying into that Mueller jerk's face. What's his problem with my hair anyway?

Sylvia, one of my best friends in school, laughingly told me that he's just jealous because his girlfriend flat out refuses to grow hers. Maybe that's it. I've never seen Ruby's hair reach even her shoulders, except when she puts on hair extensions just to make her boyfriend happy. Ruby's the type of person who would kill Helios [1] if she could. If it isn't for the fact that Mueller would surely freak out and possibly try to mutilate her, she'd have shaved it off a long time ago. Of course, the upside to that 'hate the heat' thing of hers is that she turns up in school in the scantiest of clothing, almost like she can't afford to buy some cloth.

The guys in school adore the heat. I bet some of them even pray for hot days.

I think they're just being stupid. I mean, what's so great about the heat? It grates on my nerves when my hair gets stuck on my skin because of perspiration. And my braid trails over my nape, so that part of my body hardly gets much ventilation. Sometimes I'd feel that my nape's getting a sunstroke. My temper flares up with the heat too. I can almost see it. A built-in thermometer and next to the normal markings, they'll be stuff like… Mmm, maybe next to the 32 degree Celsius mark you'd see 'Boiling'. You'd most probably see 'Run! Dangerous animal on the loose!' next to the 35 degree Celsius mark.

I'm an autumn guy.

I like the coolness of the weather mostly. It's not the kinda hot weather I'd want to wear just my boxers, and not the cold type that I'd want to huddle before the fireplace like a piece of marshmallow. I swear I'll melt just like it anyway. No, the weather's nice enough for me to wear just a pair of jeans and a nice sweater over my shirt. If it rains, two shirts maybe.

But really, I like the way the leaves turn brown and flutter everywhere… as long as it doesn't land somewhere I have to clean up. Sure, some chaps think that autumn is plain gloomy with that around, but I don't. Those leaves may be dead, but the trees rejuvenate the branches in spring. It's just a process. Ain't nothing sad about it. Moreover, the piles of brown leaves are a great excuse to act like kids. I like jumping onto them, and see the leaves fly everywhere. The downside is that the leaves get snagged on my hair and stick out in all directions. I've got a picture of that in my house to prove it.

Anyway, another reason I'm not really that enthusiastic about Ruby's dressing style is well… girls aren't really my type. Yeah, they can make really wonderful friends, like Sylvia, but girlfriends? A big no no. I've tried before, really, I've tried. But none of them have sparked my interest enough to make me stay long.

Guys, on the other hand… are kinda better. I mean, as one myself, I'd know another guy better than I would a girl. After all, while we guys are whooping for joy because the soccer team we're supporting scored a goal, the girls will be at the shopping mall, gushing over the newest skirt that just came in. And while girls say 'It's stupid. 22 people running after 1 ball. Why don't they just buy another 21 soccer balls?', the guys will be pulling the first shirt they find on the discount racks.

And yes, I do check out guys. I give scores.

Mueller does not really look very bad, but well, he's not good looking either. So he's got 3, on a scale of 10. His attitude and manners, though, make that score a negative. His buddy and number one sidekick, Alex, looks much better. Perhaps a 5? Still low? Yeah, I guess. I've seldom met guys I actually give more than 5.

The one I met yesterday is a completely different story, though.

His name's… Heero, I think. Pretty cute guy, if I must say. Hmm… maybe he deserves an 8 for his looks. And he was so… shy when he was talking to me. Almost like he was afraid I'd run off if he said the wrong thing. Cute. Add 1 point. And the fact that he'd been watching me for the past few days so much that he knew I'm dependent on my headphones… was dependent on them. I'm getting earphones on the way home. Anyway, I'll just award him with another point for being so observant since I like that in a guy. Observant guys tend to be more aware of my split-ends and they usually try to help me.

…Holy shit. Did I just give that Heero a perfect score?

Wow.

Maybe I'll call him tonight when I get home. We could go hang out at some pizza place or something. Perfect score… that's never happened before.

I step into the store, and a wave of cool air comes at me. Ahh… I adore air conditioners. The store's pretty small, and sells little electrical trinkets like cameras, disc-mans, MD players… you know the drill. It's the kind of store where the sales person will be at your feet, eager to introduce you to the newest models of whatever is on sale. But I guess the bunch of high school kids is keeping them guys busy, what with them ogling and caressing the disc-mans. Thanks to them, I'm left alone to head to the rack with various headphones and earphones. I hate to be prodded into buying my things anyway.

My eyes zoom into a set of earphones and I pick it up. It's completely black. Well, I've never purchased earphones before since I've been using headphones for as long as I can remember; it's no wonder I haven't got the slightest idea how to choose a good set. I guess it's just my luck then, and I check out the price tag. Acceptable… I think.

I'm about to turn and go to the counter when this guy comes up beside me and sorta blocks my way.

"Hi."

Sounds familiar… I turn. "…Heero?"

He smiles brightly like he didn't believe that I'd remember his name.

"Yeah."

"What're you doing here?" I ask.

"Oh. I was looking for a new camera because... something happened to my old one." He actually looked a little embarrassed.

Whatever happened to that poor ol' camera must have been interesting. Experience tells me it can range from sassy young siblings to spiteful girlfriends. Since Heero's so obviously hitting on me, I rule out the latter.

"Erm… Duo, are you buying earphones?"

"Yeah."

"What happened to your headphones?"

"Well… my dog thought it was a toy, and dragged it away. Since I don't wanna get doggy drool on me…" Sorry Shini, I thought. But I'm not really lying, actually. After I threw my headphones into the trashcan on impulse, I picked it out and gave it to Shingami instead. He looked like he needed a toy anyway.

"Oh, I see." He grinned. "But if I were you, I wouldn't buy that one. See this? It's hard, and it'll hurt your ears if you use it for a long period of time. Besides, the quality's not all that wonderful."

"Then, recommend me something good. I'm not sure how to tell a good one from a bad one. No headphones, please."

He looks surprised.

"Headphones are kinda heavy and bulky. I don't enjoy bringing them everywhere I go." Nope, not a lie either. I've been having this problem for a long time, but I've never actually thought much about it. That's all.

"In that case…" His eyes raked over the shelf for a while, and he finally hands me one. "This one is much better in terms of sound quality. It's clearer. And see this rubber casing on the earpieces? It'll make your ears more comfortable. The price isn't too much either."

I take it from him, and I like the thing almost immediately. It's mainly composed of a nice shade of silver that is not too bright and not too dull either. The shape's smooth and I kinda like the idea of the rubber casing. It's blue, just like Heero's eyes.

"If you want it, I can get you a discount. My friend works here."

I smile. "Thanks. Yeah, I'll take it."

True to his word, I got a 10 percent discount and left the store happily. Heero followed me, his camera carefully wrapped up in a box.

I turn back to him, and smiled again. "Thanks so much Heero."

"You… You're welcomed." He replied, his eyes gazing at the ground. "Are you… are you free now? There's this really nice coffee shop just down the street…"

"Sorry Heero. I've got some errands to run and a ton of reports to finish up." I apologize, inwardly pouting. Trust Howard to forget our groceries today. Of all days to forget, it just had to be today. "Maybe next time?"

Either I'm imagining, or Heero's face really fell. And it's not just a simple frown or anything. It's the type that reminds you of a kid denied of his Christmas present. It's the type that makes you guilty.

Damn.

"You've got any paper and pen?"

He looks up.

"I'll give you my number. Contact me, and we can go hang out together some time."

His face immediately lights up, and he scrambles back into the store. When he comes out again, he's got a piece of paper and pen in his hands.

It's hard to believe a set of numbers can make him so happy.

After a sincere goodbye, I head for the supermarket nearby. My mind wanders back to Heero, and I just had to give him 1 more point for his seemingly nice personality.

Gee… did he just chalk up 11 points? On a scale of 10?

Wow.

-owari-

Sorceress Fantasia @ 25th March 2003

Beta-ed 30th March 2003

[1]: Just in case you don't know, Helios is the god of the sun in Greek mythology.