Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Seventh Heaven ❯ Calling Duo ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Calling Duo

Series: Seventh Heaven

Author: Sorceress Fantasia

Pairings: 1+2

Warnings: Heero POV, AU (our time)

Archive: Lev's Lair

Fanfiction.net

MediaMiner

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but the story. GW and all the brands mentioned here belong to whomever they belong to. Thank you for paying attention. ^o^

Thanks to Dark Tenchi for beta-ing! ^^

I never expected that I'd be so elated over a set of numbers.

A telephone number no less.

It's not like it's a number in my bank account; but still, I'll admit I'm kind of happy about it. Okay, I'm ecstatic. Happy?

As I put away the clean dishes after dinner, I can't help but think of him. Beautiful, cute, wonderful Duo. I like the way his name rolls off my tongue.

I walk back to my room, and pass by the living room where Hirde is watching some TV program. She must have heard me coming because she looks up at me with a grin.

"You know, you've had this goofy smile on your face since you came back. What happened? You actually met Mars long enough to talk to him this time?"

I remember this guy saying something like if someone asked you something you don't want to answer, just smile at that person and ask, 'Why do you want to know?' I did just that. But apparently, the guy has never met my sister.

"Aww! Of course I want to know! I'm concerned about you! You've been single for so long I almost thought you were asexual." She whined sweetly, frowning in what is supposed to be a sympathetic look. "I was ready to introduce some girls to you before Mars came along."

"Hirde…" I warned.

She blinks innocently and continues that smile of hers. "C'mon! Tell me!"

Cajoling must be one of the oldest tricks in the book women use on men, and yet I still fall for it.

"Yes, I met him today."

"His name? Did you get it? His number too?"

"He's called Duo."

"No number?"

She looked disappointed. *Very* disappointed as she pouted.

"No." If I told her, she'd try to call Duo and hook us up. I know her too well.

"You're an idiot. You should have gotten Mars' number."

"Duo."

"Fine, Duo." She made a face, and turned back to the television in a mock huff.

I sigh, and go back to my room. As I reach my bed, I suddenly remember to lock the door. My sister doesn't understand the concept of 'privacy' even though she's in high school. It's not like I trail her whenever she goes on a date with Wufei. Okay, I followed them the first week. But I stopped after I was sure that Wufei wasn't bullying Hirde. In fact, I think it was the opposite.

Taking the only photo of Duo I have now, I sit on my bed. Looking at it, I almost smirk at the small and unclear corner with him. Now I know better. He's got the most amazing chestnut hair that's nearly always woven into a braid, really beautiful violet eyes shining at the world, and the fairest complexion I've ever seen. Sharp nose, pink lips…

I'm sure I look stupid, smirking away and looking dreamy. Well, I've locked the door, haven't I?

I like the photo. It's what really made me… become so attracted to him.

Moreover, this photo is also one of the last few pictures my last camera took. Call it its swansong. Hirde smashed the poor thing. She had just gotten off the phone with Wufei after a really loud argument, which I think involved someone called Meiran, and needed to burn off some steam. She just grabbed the nearest thing to her and flung it into the wall. Of course, the nearest thing to her had been my camera, which is currently missing a few pieces of plastic and lenses.

My new camera is locked up in my room now.

The thing reminds me of our encounter yesterday. I had been in the store to get a new camera, feeling a little more than upset at my loss. And lo and behold! There was Duo standing in front of a shelf, apparently looking for something. If it weren't for the fact that I'd find myself rushed to the hospital faster than I can say 'Duo', my spirits would have soared. As it was, I had to hide myself from his view for a moment so I could wipe that silly grin I by no doubt had off my face before I could go up to him.

I recall cheering mentally when he told me he was buying earphones and admitted that he had no idea which one was a suitable one because I knew a little about that. After all, Uncle Jay owned that shop and I've been patronizing it since I moved to this city. He's my distant relative, I think. I'm not too sure. Mum and Dad never kept in contact much with our relatives.

Did he notice that the rubber casing is blue? Call me silly, but maybe that blue will remind him of my eyes? I've been told several times that my eyes are my most striking features.

I hope I gave him a strong, good impression, because he sure gave me one.

I remember the way tendrils of his hair fluttered in the light breeze of the air conditioner.

I remember the way his voice sounded.

I remember the way he smiled at me before we parted.

I remember the utter joy that washed over me when he gave me his phone number.

Picking out the sheet of paper from the side pocket of my shorts (I'm not stupid enough to leave it lying around when Hirde is at home, not after what happened with my camera), I unfold and straighten it. If I call this number, I'll be able to get Duo. I'll hear his voice again. I may even get a date with him.

Steeling myself, I take the cordless phone off its cradle. Press, press, press… slam! Okay, I know I can do this. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? It's not like Duo can leap out of the phone and slap me. Let me try this again.

Press, press, press… Ring! Ring!

"Hello?"

"Hello? I'm looking for Duo Maxwell. He lives here… right?" I ask, half worried that I had dialed up the wrong number.

"Duo? What're you looking him for? School?"

"I… err…" Who is this fellow? He sounds like he wants to skewer me and put me on the fire like a kebab. And what is he to Duo? His boyfriend? God… what was I thinking? A beautiful guy like Duo would of course have a significant other.

"Are you hitting on him? Are you seriously hitting on him? If you are, I'm gonna fry…"

There's a loud sound on the other end of the line, some shuffling and muffled cursing. I think I can hear something that sounds vaguely like 'You jerk!' and 'Get away from the phone!'. Half a minute later, Duo's voice comes over.

"Hello? Who's that on the phone?"

"Duo! It's me, Heero!" I reply. I'm so damn relieved I can just… wear a straw skirt and do the hula? The teapot song even.

"Heero? Oh my god, I'm so sorry. That jerk on the phone earlier is my brother." Duo said, his voice laced with exasperation. In the background, I heard a loud 'Hey!'.

"Don't mind him. Something just came up and bit him on his ass."

"It's… It's okay."

"Well, what are you calling me for?"

"You said I could call you and fix a date to hang out or something. Does it… does it still stand?"

There was silence for a while, and I panic. Duo probably gave me his phone number as a polite gesture. Nothing more than that. What made me think there's more to it anyway?

I'm about to apologize, but Duo beats me to it.

"Of course! So, where do you wanna go? Oh, do you like coffee? There's this quaint coffeehouse somewhere in town, and I haven't been there in a while…"

"Sure! I like coffee!" I answer a little too quickly, and nod my head vigorously. "Just tell me where's the place, and I'll be there."

"It's close to a public library. I can't remember its name… You know the library near Bradford Avenue?"

Of course I do. It's the library I boycotted 6 days ago. "Is the coffee house you're talking about called Sally's Coffeehouse?"

"Yes! You know that place?"

"Um. So Duo, when are you free? Tomorrow?" I ask, hoping feverishly that he'd be available tomorrow, because these photos aren't enough.

"Let me think… Yeah, I think tomorrow's fine. What about tomorrow evening? We can meet at 4."

"Okay. Tomorrow at 4, we'll meet at Sally's Coffeehouse."

"Then, I'll see you tomorrow. Bye."

"Bye."

I set the phone back into its cradle, feeling a little lightheaded. Damn it, I'm not some teenage schoolgirl going out on her first date! But still, I can't deny the feather light happiness I'm feeling right now.

I like it.

Flopping back onto my bed, I can just feel a full-blown smile on my face. Ahh… life's great now. But I think tomorrow will be even better.

And I can't wait for it to arrive.

-owari-

Sorceress Fantasia @ 26th March 2003

Beta-ed 30th March 2003