Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Seventh Heaven ❯ The Thing that is Called First Date ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: The Thing That Is Called First Date

Series: Seventh Heaven

Author: Sorceress Fantasia

Pairings: 1+2, 3+4, implied 5+H

Warnings: Heero POV, AU (our time)

Archive: Lev's Lair

Fanfiction.net

MediaMiner

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but the story. GW and all the brands mentioned here belong to whomever they belong to. Thank you for paying attention. ^o^

Note: I've played around with the cast's age. Heero, Quatre, Trowa, Zechs, Catherine are about 22, 23. Duo is 18, and Wufei and Hirde are 16.

Thanks to Dark Tenchi for beta-ing! ^^

"You've really called him?"

I nod, groaning inwardly like never before. I should have known that it was a bad idea to tell them about Duo. Given their track records, they were bound to interrogate me like I was the prime suspect of a murder trial. I can just see it happening like a movie in my mind's eye: in a bland room where the only source of lighting is a swaying lamp attached to the ceiling, they slam down a thick file onto the wooden table, and the rickety thing shakes when they pound their fists on it as well. Glaring at me in my eye, they yell at me to tell them everything I know. Well, if they could get their hands on such a room, they might do it. Except for the file part.

I don't have a crime file that thick.

In fact, I'll be damned if I have one at all.

Anyway, I should have remembered their curiosity driven personalities. And still, I told them about Duo. Worse still, I also told them about calling Duo last night.

No wonder Hirde says I'm an idiot.

"Yes, I did."

Quatre's eyes brighten considerably. "Way to go, Heero! I knew you could do it!"

"Well, you've taken the gigantic first step. Now we'll have to think of a plan to get you into his heart! 'Operation: help Heero get Duo' commences now!" Zechs yells rising his balled fist like he's rallying everyone's support.

He doesn't have to. The rest of them are even more enthusiastic than he is. Sometimes I think I should have gotten a girl or boyfriend ages ago. But no~ I'm not socially-inclined, remember? If Duo and I are to progress to that stage, he'll be my first boyfriend ever. First significant other, in fact.

That must be why the guys are so excited over this.

"Now, the most important thing is to give him a good impression when you meet him for coffee later! C'mon honey, give me your most charming smile!" Catherine leans forward, gesturing for me to start.

I feel stupid as all of them look at me hopefully. I'm lucky we're at a very secluded corner in the garden instead of the crowded cafeteria we usually patronize at this time slot. The place had been overly crowded, and we decided to eat outside at the garden benches and tables. Well, at least no one else in the university will bear witness to me smiling stupidly.

"No! Emotions, Heero! Emotions! Put more emotions into that smile!"

I try again.

"No! Let the smile light up your face! You look like you're having a muscle cramp!"

"God! If we gave you a dress and a black wig, you'd look like Mona Lisa! Smile wider!"

"Heero, we all know you've got a set of pearly white teeth. What the hell do you think it's for!? Show it!"

For the love of-! My jaws are numb!

"Ah-huh! This one's great!" Catherine says critically, smiling widely herself. "Remember this wide, teeth-showing, bright smile and show it to him later! He'll love it!"

I reach up to massage my abused jaws. I wonder how crocodiles manage to keep their mouths wide open for so long and clamp it together. But, I remind myself, if it's for Duo, it's gonna be worth it. I hope.

"Now that we've perfected your smile, you have to learn how to introduce yourself! You two haven't actually introduced yourselves, right?" Trowa asks, but he has this knowing smile that I'd like to wipe off. "Cathy, can you and Quatre give him a demonstration? I think we'll have an easier time with some visual aid."

"My pleasure."

Quatre nods smugly, and he remains seated.

Catherine, on the other hand, gets up and stands a little away from the table we're at. Slowly, she sashays over to Quatre with a sly grin and picks up a packet of unopened sugar we had taken for our coffee earlier. Dangling it on its corner between her fingers, she smiles at him.

"Hey, you dropped your nametag."

"Really? And I thought that was yours."

While Zechs and Trowa guffaw at their little demonstration, I think I'm blanching. I'm supposed to do this? Even movies don't have cheesy pick-up lines like this!

"Wait, try this." Zechs says as Catherine settles down beside him again. "You grab Duo's shirt like this." He explains, and flips the top of Trowa's shirt down. "Look at the label, and swoon, 'Yep, made in heaven alright.'"

The guys laugh again. I just choke.

*****

I reach the coffeehouse at 3.50pm.

Sally's Coffeehouse is situated in a very upbeat area of town, and the towering glass buildings that is the proof of advanced architectural skills around it contrasts greatly with its antediluvian design. A simple mahogany door is it's only entrance, and with the other beautiful, brightly lit doorways, it easily slips my eyes. Only the large white, plastic signboard bearing the words 'Sally's Kopitiam (Coffeehouse)'[1] makes sure that the place cannot be missed.

The shop's interior is designed like a traditional Chinese coffeehouse one would find in many Asia countries, from the white tiled floor to the stark white walls. Round wooden tables and wooden chairs replace the modern metal ones you would find at Starbucks, and on every table is one laminated menu that shines under the stripes of florescent lights. There're no coffee machines that will give customers espresso or mocha; neither are there shelves of chicken pie or chocolate cake. Only the smell of toasting bread and black coffee fills the place.

I slide into a seat at the side.

"What do you want today, Heero? Black coffee with milk and a little sugar, and two slices of toasted bread?"

"Later Sally. I'm waiting for someone."

Sally, the owner of the shop, raises an eyebrow at my comment. I don't recall bringing a friend here, so I guess I understand her surprise. Then she shrugs and leaves my table. Like the décor of the place, Sally is pretty Chinese-like. If it weren't for her blonde hair and blue eyes, I'd say she's from Asia.

Alone, I glance around as I wait. The place is pretty empty; its peak period is at night, usually after dinnertime. Now, there're only five other patrons sitting around, quietly sipping their black coffee that Sally's place is famous for. Even the waitresses and cashier are looking bored.

I'll admit it. I'm god damn nervous. What if Duo suddenly decides that he doesn't want to see me? What if something suddenly crops up for him and he can't contact me? What if… what if…

I feel someone looking at me, and I lift my head to see Sally standing behind the counter, barely stifling her chuckles. I would have told her to stop but someone arrives just in time.

"Hey, Heero."

I smile. "Duo!"

He smiles back, and slides into the seat facing mine. I think I can just look at him all day long.

Sally chooses this moment to come up to us. "Where have you been all this while, Duo Maxwell? Abandoned poor me for that shiny, new Starbucks down the street?"

"Of course not, Sal! How could you accuse me of such felony?" He gives her a mock gasp, and she chuckles.

"I was at the new Dôme just three streets away!" He gives her a cheeky smile that I will much rather be directed at me.

Sally swings a light punch at his shoulder and laughs. "Well then, I suppose I'll have to punish you for betraying me! No sugar in your coffee for you today!"

He laughs again. As if on cue, he turns back to me. "What do you want, Heero?"

"I'll have the usual, Sally."

"Black coffee! More sugar, please!" He bats his eyelashes at the blonde woman. For a guy, his eyelashes are long.

"No, no sugar for you, traitor!" She teases, and leaves for the kitchen.

"Do you come here often? I've never seen you before." I ask, wanting to get his attention again.

"Yeah, I used to come over like… four, fives times a week. But I haven't been around lately cause I was kinda caught up in a lot of things."

"Oh…"

"What about you? You come over pretty often, huh? Ordering 'the usual'?"

"I started coming only a month ago. A friend recommended me this place, and I thought I'd try it out."

"Got hooked onto Sal's coffee, huh? The coffee she makes is…" Duo gives me a face of utter amazement. "…Wow!"

"Yeah… It's good." I mumble, not too sure what to say. It's not like I've ever dated someone before. Luckily, Duo seems experienced enough; although I can't say I'm happy with that.

"Well, I guess we should introduce ourselves. I'll start." Duo straightens, and smiles at me warmly. "I'm Duo Maxwell. I'm 18, so I'm in my second year of college [2]."

"I'm Heero Yuy, 22, and I'm in university now."

"You're 22? You sure don't look like it. I thought you were older than that! I mean, on the two occasions we've met, you always look kinda serious."

"I, err…" I should really lighten up.

"Two black coffee, and two slices of bread!" Sally interrupts me and puts our orders on the table. "You know, I never knew you two were friends…"

"Oh, we just met the other day, and we thought it would be fun to have coffee together…"

"I see. Well, have fun, you two." Sally winks playfully at me, and goes back into the kitchen.

I think I'm blushing. "Duo, I…"

"Duo!" A voice startles me, and someone comes up to him.

I am seriously irked. Can't I just enjoy a quiet, nice cup of coffee with the man of my dreams? But the really bad thing is that that someone is none other than Wufei, my sister's boyfriend. He'll never let me live it down, and he'll no doubt tell Hirde. There goes my privacy.

"Fei?" Duo looks startled, but it's a happy startle, and invites him to sit with us.

I think they're having some small talk, but I'm too upset to pay much attention. I just want to talk to Duo, damn it! I should have remembered that since Wufei was the one who recommended me this coffeehouse, he would come here himself! But why now!? Why!? Suddenly, someone calls me.

"Heero? Why are you here?"

I roll my eyes. "I came here to get a pound of pork and some vegetables for dinner tonight. Of course I'm here for coffee!"

Duo snickers quietly.

"Why are you sharing a table with Duo? There're many empty tables…"

"Fei, Heero and I are friends. Of course we're sharing a table!"

Duo's tone reminded me of myself when I was talking to a seven year old Hirde.

Wufei blinked, but he recovered fast enough to talk to Duo again, effectively interrupting my first date with Duo. People have told me that first dates rarely go smoothly; Quatre, Trowa, Zechs, Noin, Hirde have all told me how bad their first dates went, but I thought it would never happen to me. Of course, I never thought I would even get a date like this. First dates sucks.

Almost two hours later, Wufei leaves the coffeehouse on a date with my sister. Duo and I leave the place as well, having spent too much time at Sally's. I am in the worst mood possible, I think. Who wouldn't be? My sister's boyfriend just ruined my first date! I can't even get mad at Wufei because Hirde'll get mad with *me*! So now I'm the bad guy!?

Once outside, I quickly think of excuses to get another date with Duo. A decent date, I might add.

But Duo smiles at me and says, "Sorry Heero, me and Fei haven't met for weeks! We just have so much to talk about! I didn't mean to ignore you or anything."

"I… I understand." I'm lying through my teeth.

He looks chagrined, but he keeps his smile. "…Are you free now?"

"What?"

"Are you free now? Why… why don't we go for dinner together?"

"Yes! I'm free! Completely!"

"Well, you can pick the place." Smile.

"Oh, there's this steakhouse…"

Call me a teenage schoolgirl, but I'm really getting dizzy.

With happiness.

-owari-

Sorceress Fantasia @ 27th March 2003

Beta-ed 30th March 2003

[1]: Kopitiam is a Chinese dialect for coffeehouse.

[2]: I'm using the education system in my country. College over here is a pre-university institution, and takes only 2 years to graduate. It is better known as Junior College.