Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Song of the Phoenix ❯ Evidence, Meatballs and Young Love ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Okies, here is chapter eight. I hurried to finish it, I really did. I also have some newer fics coming up, so be on the lookout! Well...you don't have to-but I'd appreciate it!

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing or any of its characters. Lawyers will be chopped up with my beam scythe.

"Evidence, Meatballs and Young Love"

Sally stole a glance at her partner, who was currently holding the steering wheel in a death grip. This action turned his knuckles a pasty white. He seemed as tense as she felt, and the woman turned to look out the window once more with a small sigh. The call to Wufei's office had both unnerved and disturbed her. The mysterious caller had simply stopped talking, and the end of the woman's sentence was cut off too abruptly for her to have merely hung up the phone. The whole ordeal was pointing towards another murder, and Sally didn't like the prospect of that. So many had suffered already...wasn't that enough?

To make it worse, the police held-what she deemed-an innocent man behind bars; and the real murderer ran free, endangering any possible arising victims. When would this homicide end? When would the murderer be brought to justice, the innocent let free and the victims' avenged?

Sally was awoken from her quiet contemplations by the car brakes squealing into action. Wufei was already opening his door and climbing out, and the young woman hurried to catch up to him.

The duo stood before a small, rundown home. Paint peeled away from aging walls, and the grass out front was bare, leaving small patches of dirt. A red Honda lay dormant in a driveway. The driveway created an uneven path to the closed mouth of a one-car garage. The window curtains were pulled shut, and Sally swore she saw one of the pale curtains move. With a shudder, she told herself it was just her eyes playing tricks on her.

Wufei looked deceivingly calm, leading the way across the yard towards the front door. Deep green paint covered the door, and splotches of brown showed through, where the paint had been scratched away. Reaching up a bronzed hand, the young man tapped sharply against the door. Neither really anticipated a response, so neither was surprised by the silence that answered them.

Reaching up with a gloved hand, Sally turned the doorknob. It gave way with a soft click.

"It's unlocked," she said, stating the obvious. Her voice broke the eerie silence that had settled over the pair of investigators.


Wufei led the way through the dimly lit house, and Sally, much to her chagrin, found herself keeping close behind the young Chinese man. Who would've guessed her first case would be a homicide?-possibly a double homicide? She was ashamed by her fear, but her shame didn't ease the worry smothering her heart.

Turning the corner into a small kitchen, Sally's hand flew to her mouth to stifle a small gasp of surprise. Lying on the ground lay a middle-aged woman, sprawled out in an undignified heap. Blood seeped from a large wound in her head, creating a small pool of the crimson liquid. Bits and pieces of what must have been a vase were scattered around the fallen female, and a few bits of the ceramic were sticking from the victim's head. Glancing up, the Chinese woman spotted a phone jack. She followed the wire up to the phone cradle. The phone lie on the cradle; someone had hung it up.

Wufei turned to his shocked partner. His onyx eyes were intense, and the young woman felt drawn to the emotion within them. "Let's search the rest of the house. The murderer may still be here." Sally nodded in agreement, and followed behind her partner, although without as much anticipation or fear. Adrenaline was pumping through her veins, and she felt ready for anything. Truthfully, she was thankful the unnerving fear had abandoned her.

Every other room in the house proved empty, as well as the garage. Pulling out a cell phone, Wufei dialed up Lady Une, requesting another team of officers at the scene.

"Do you think that we can prove Trowa Bloom innocent now?" the tawny haired woman inquired after he had placed his phone back in his coat pocket. He appeared thoughtful for a moment.

"Well there was never sufficient evidence against Bloom," Wufei replied, gazing at the wall behind Sally's shoulder. "The only thing against him was the ill-placed murder weapon and the rivalry at his workplace. If his lawyer is half as good as she says she is, then there will be no trouble at all."

Sally winced. "I was hoping we could let Bloom free without a trial."

"It's very possible that we will," he admitted. Sally chewed on her lower lip in thought.

"How do you suppose the woman knew who the murderer was?" she asked, resting a hand against the wall beside them.

"My guess is that she had relations with the murderer, or knew the murderer on a personal level," Wufei answered. His partner nodded in agreement. But how did the woman know the murderer...

"Did you get the woman's identity?" she questioned, motioning towards the bloody body with a wave of her hand. She leaned her back against the wall, allowing her legs a slight rest. The adrenaline was leaving her system. Her partner nodded in return.

"Her name was Vivian Johnson," Wufei stated, folding his arms over his chest and leaning back against the wall beside her. The blonde woman's eyebrows drew together.


"Johnson..." Sally murmured to herself. "Why does that name sound familiar..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Trowa placed his head in his hands, leaning his elbows on the wooden table. Midii Une sat across from him, chewing on the edge of a pen in thought. She was looking over some papers: evidence regarding his case. She shook her head, blonde hair falling over her shoulders.

"There is no where near enough evidence," the pretty lawyer stated, looking up and catching the silent man's gaze. "Even if you do end up going to court, they would never be able to convict you."

"I can't afford to go to court," Trowa stated evenly. "I can't even afford to pay you for representing me. And then there is Catherine..."

"Mr. Winner, the landlord," Midii replied, "is allowing your sister to board for free. And you can pay me later...take as long as you must."

Trowa lowered his eyes to hide his shame. He hated relying on others for service, all because his parents hadn't been your ideal image of loving teachers. He had been supporting his sister as well as himself for as long as he could remember, even though his sister was the elder sibling. He tried hard to be independent, and he was still unable to provide a living for Catherine and him.

He raised his emerald eyes as he felt a soft hand cover his own. The lawyer's dove gray eyes pierced into his with compassion and understanding.

"I want to help you," she whispered ardently. Trowa gave her a small nod.

He was actually grateful for her support.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Heero sat upright in his office chair, bent over the computer on his desk. His fingers flew over the keypad, creating an uneven rhythm throughout the silent room. The whole homicide case had him on edge, and he didn't doubt for a second that Trowa was innocent. But he was driven merely by instinct, and he needed more evidence supporting Bloom's innocence if he wanted to let him free without public disapproval.

Heero glanced up quickly as the door to his office flew open, and Relena Darlian came rushing in, her cheeks flushed slightly. In her clenched hand was a slip of paper, and his eyes were drawn to the small scrap.


"Lady Une," the blonde woman stated, rushing over to his desk, "wanted me to give you this." Here she handed him the piece of paper. "She said Investigator Chang just called, and there's been another murder, linked to the homicide case." The Japanese man took the paper, sparing the scrawled address a glance. He looked up as he felt the intern's eyes on him. Her gaze appeared sad, and her brilliant blue eyes looked glassy.

"Too many people are suffering," she said softly, her tone sorrowful and intense all at once. She wanted to ask Heero, the fascinating, stoic officer, to find the murderer so none would suffer needlessly. She wanted him to be careful, as well, because such missions were dangerous. She didn't want him to be injured. Or killed.

But Relena said none of this aloud. But Heero understood, and touched a hand to her cheek softly before walking by her and out the door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Duo sat at an elevated chair, leaning his elbows against an unusually high table leisurely. The pretty woman in front of him, Hilde Schbeiker, captured his gaze. Hilde was twirling a fork absently in her hand, entranced by the officer's gorgeous violet eyes. Who wouldn't be? After Chinese food the day before, the pair had mutually decided on Italian for today. After all, Duo still had some questions regarding the murder case.

Yeah, right.

"How was your spaghetti?" the braided man asked, stabbing at a meatball absently, shoving the sphere of ground beef into his mouth.

"Excellent," Hilde replied, dropping her fork in favor of one of her napkins. "If there's one thing I like more than pizza, it's Chinese food. And if there's one thing I like more than Chinese food, it's Italian."

Duo grinned. "Well I like 'em all!" Luckily he had finished chewing his meatball, and was able to articulate like any other person. Hilde laughed, her eyes sparkling mirthfully. No matter what the situation, this cheery officer could always make her smile. It wasn't any wonder she enjoyed being around him so much.

Hilde's gaze fell as she took a sip of her milkshake. When her eyes moved back to her companion, she was surprised to find his smile had disappeared. In fact, he was staring at her with utmost intensity, chestnut eyebrows drawn together. The German woman couldn't help the slight shock she felt, and she wondered what was wrong...

"Hilde," Duo began, not breaking away from her worried gaze once. "I didn't take you here to discuss the murder case." Here he took one of the woman's hands in his own, and the shocked thrill that jolted through her body was completely beyond her control. She swallowed, trying to rid her throat of its sudden dryness spell.


And still Duo's gaze didn't falter, and he didn't release her hand. His skin was warm against hers. "Hilde, I-."

Riiing

Duo pulled away from Hilde, reaching into his pocket for the source of the annoyance, which was his cell phone, of course. He flipped open the phone and placed it over his ear.

Hilde placed a hand over her frantic heart, which was going into over-drive. She didn't know whether she was glad for the interruption or disappointed. She was totally split on the matter.

"That was Heero," Duo said, replacing his phone. "I am needed somewhere..." he trailed off, not wanting to tell the woman that there had been another murder. He didn't want to put her through that again.

"Oh..." was all she was able to produce.

"I'll see you later, Hilde," Duo said, and she heard the promise behind his words. He hopped off his chair, and as he walked by her he placed a chaste kiss on her cheek. She turned around in her chair but he had already gone out the restaurant door. Sighing, Hilde called a passing waiter over to the table.

"Could I get the check, please?" she inquired, reaching into her pocket for her money.

"The young gentleman you were with already paid the check," the waiter answered, slightly amused at the lady's stunned expression. He walked by with a shake of his head.

Young love, he mused.

A/N: Squee!!! Tis chapter 8!!! I hope everyone enjoyed that chapter. *grin* There's about to be a major action-filled scene within the next two chapters that I know I'm going to enjoy writing. I hope it won't seem too cliché…oops, sorry I was thinking out loud again. Anyway, please review!! Your kind reviews mean so much to me.

Luvvies, KaT aka Mistress Shinigami

P.S. Sorry Callisto, no Zechs and Noin this chappie ~_^