Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ Breakdown ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Nineteen: Breakdown

Time seemed to slow down to a painful crawl as the tank officers rushed down the stairwell; in which time another shot was fired and someone cursed. As they approached the landing to the fourth floor, they could hear footsteps descending the stairway. Faline?! Quatre called out. No response.

Finally, the group reached the second floor. Faline was sitting next to the door with her knees drawn up and her arms folded over them. She kept staring at the bleeding body lying in a heap in front of her. Some bloody footprints were leading away from the scene and down the stairs. Zechs, Heero, and Duo went to follow them while Wufei called for someone to remove the body. Trowa and Quatre approached the distraught brunette.

Faline? Trowa ventured, and found a gun shakily pointed at his nose. It's Trowa, Faline. You're safe now. The young woman turned her gaze toward the fallen man. It's okay. He can't hurt you. He's dead, Faline. Faline buried her face in her arms and cried.

Faline Quatre knelt next to her and put his hand on her shoulder. Before he knew what was happening, she latched onto him and bawled. Trowa would've laughed if the situation wasn't so grim. Quatre stroked the Faline's hair awkwardly, not sure what to do next.

I thought I was going to die! Faline sobbed. He had the gun pointed at me and I was so scared I screamed and the next thing I knew, the gun went off and it felt like someone was burning a hole in my shoulder

You got shot?! Quatre exclaimed, immediately detaching himself from Faline so he could get a better look at her. There was blood staining her shirt near her collarbone. Dammit

Wufei, call for the paramedics. Trowa said, noticing that there didn't seem to be an exit wound and Faline was still bleeding. Quatre busied himself with tearing the sleeve off of his uniform to make into a tourniquet.

What happened? he asked Faline as he started tying the wound off.

I I was sitting in the room eating. Faline said, trying very hard not to become frantic. That guy she pointed at the body, and another one came in told me to go with them. I didn't know what else to do so I pulled the fire alarm. The dead guy his friend called him Fred pulled a gun on me. He missed. The other one pulled his gun and started shooting at me too. Somehow I managed to get out of the room and to the stairs. They chased me of course. I thought I heard you guys after a while I yelled for help. Thenthen she started to hyperventilate.

Just relax. I think I know what happened after that.

No! I I want to finish! Just let me finish! her voice took on a hysterical edge.

Okay, but you need to calm down a bit, all right? Quatre soothed. Faline took a couple of deep breaths before continuing.

I started to get tired and I looked back. They had almost caught up to me I tripped and I may have screamed I'm not sure which one of them shot at me. By the time I hit the floor they had caught up to me completely. I felt something poke me in the side. They must've wanted to make sure I was dead I rolled over as fast as I could and grabbed it. It was Fred. The other guy made to shoot me but he couldn't get a clear shot. The gun Fred and I were fighting over went off and Fred just fell over. The other guy ran off. He must've heard you guys coming I guess. Oh God I thought I was going to die! she burst into tears again and
clung onto Quatre like he was a gigantic teddy bear. Trowa and Wufei suppressed
smirks.

One word of this to Duo and Heero and you're both dead. Quatre mouthed to them, glaring.

Clear the way! Duo yelled into the crowd as he went. Tank police coming through! Zechs was on his radio to the dispatcher while Heero kept his gun trained on their quarry, waiting for an opportunity.

This is Sergeant Peacecraft. Officers Maxwell, Yuy and myself are in pursuit of a suspect; male, Caucasian, approximately five and a half feet tall with dark green hair. He is heading east on 194th Street and is wearing a tank police uniform. He is armed and dangerous. With that, Milliardo shoved his walkie-talkie back onto his belt clip and took out his gun.

As the man turned a corner he fired a shot into the crowd and the people immediately began to panic making pursuit even more difficult for the three tank officers. Fortunately, a few members of the regular police had seen the whole thing and began chasing the green-haired gunman in their squad car.

Dammit, we lost him. Duo growled.

It's out of our hands now. Milliardo sighe, holstering his gun. Let's just hope those other guys can catch him.

Should we head back? Heero asked.

First let's get these people calmed down.

Upon returning to the station, Milliardo, Heero, and Duo were updated on the situation by Captain Scot. Faline had been taken to the hospital to be thoroughly checked for injuries and have the bullet removed; Quatre was with her because she wouldn't go otherwise (this piece of information got snickers from Duo and Heero); Wufei and Trowa were at the crime scene waiting for the ballistics team. So, where's our perpetrator? the captain demanded.

We lost him, sir. Milliardo said, sullenly.

Crap.

As far as we know, the regular cops are still chasing him.

Hmph. I almost wish they didn't catch him. It's an embarrassment to our division that we even let him get off the premises.

Travis ran through every back-alley and side street he could find trying to escape the police. So far he was doing pretty well but it was only a matter of time before he got tired and they caught him. He had to get to Neil as quickly as possible and without the police finding out where he went. Just three more blocks to go. If I can loose them before I get there I won't have to worry about the cops anymore. A n upcoming manhole presented a rare opportunity and the green-haired man took it. After clumsily removing the cover, he dropped into the sewer below and ran as fast as he could.

Fortune seemed to be on his side as he made it to his destination unseen by the long arm of the law. He made it to the rundown apartment complex that was serving as a hideout. Neil anxiously awaited him in one of the rooms.

Where's Fred? Neil demanded after letting Travis in and shutting the door. What happened?

Fred's dead, we gotta get out of town now . Travis growled, rushing past his associate to throw a few things in a bag.

What do you mean?!

The job's a total write-off. We messed up. Fred's dead, the bitch is alive, and the cops are after us. If we leave now we can leave before the Syndicate finds out.

Shit! Neil exclaimed and joined his partner in the task of packing up the few belongings they had brought with them.

Fifteen minutes later, Neil and Travis left the building and headed for the airport. They never made it there

Chief Une got the call from the regular police not too long after the bodies of Travis and Neil gutted and hanging from the fire escape of an abandoned bulding. She got another call from the coroner about Fred's body.

They found some kind of resedue on his shoes. Treize, the coroner, reported. Apparently it's from an area where the bacterial cloud is particularly thick and leaves some kind of sludge on the ground when it's drafty out. We're still working on finding out what the substance is though. I'll let you know if something comes up.

Thank you for the information, Treize. Une said.

Anytime. Oh! One more thing

Yes?

Are you free for dinner tonight?

You ask me that every night and every night I give you the same answer.

Well?

No Treize, I have to work late again.

Ah, so you want me to bring some takeout? Italian sound good to you?

You are relentless. All right, fine. But just this once! Une laughed.

Great! It's a date! Treize said and hung up. Une hung up the receiver as well.

Are you done eavesdropping on me, Andy? The aforementioned young man squeaked in response. Call the meteorological office and find out where the bacterial cloud was thickest for the past two months.

Yes ma'am!

And Andy?

Yes ma'am?

Let me know if anybody calls from the hospital about Ms. Colwell's condition.

Yes ma'am.