Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ New Clue ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Twenty: New Clue

It wasn't until the following day that the tank police learned the whereabouts of Peter Colwell

He's where?! Captain Scot exclaimed.

Saint Augustine Hospital. Dorothy reiterated, rolling her eyes. We took him there after we found him half-dead in the street two nights ago.

Why didn't you call us immediately?!

Well Hilde fidgeted. It was late, and we were practically off-duty when we found him so we didn't file the paperwork until yesterday morning. Then there was the bank robbery we got called on

Besides which the guy didn't even regain consciousness until last night. We didn't even know who he was before then. Catherine added, coolly. Captain Scot glared at the three of them.

Well there's nothing for it now. Chief Une said, blandly. I just find it somewhat ironic that both Colwell's are in the same hospital and neither of them is aware of it. Barton, Winner, and Chang are guarding Faline's room aren't they?

Yes, Yuy and Maxwell are going over there to relieve Chang and Barton. Captain Scot replied. When given an odd look by Une he added, Faline won't let Officer Winner leave, ma'am. Dorothy, Catherine, and Hilde snickered.

As long as they aren't doing anything untoward I don't care. Une sighed. Radio the lot of them and tell them to go interview Peter. I don't particularly care who does it; let them decide that amongst themselves.

Yes ma'am.

Oh, and tell Andy to come in here before you do that.

Can we go now? Dorothy asked, peevishly.

Yes, yes, yes; get out of here.

At the hospital, Trowa and Wufei were in the intensive care unit waiting for the nurse to finish checking on Peter. As the nurse finished adjusting the IV drip, she turned and addressed the tank officers.

Now no rough stuff with the patient. I'm leaving Mr. Colwell comfortable and on the road to recovery and I expect him to be the same way when I return or else.

No need to worry, ma'am. We only want to ask him some questions. Wufei assured.

That better be all, Officer she looked at his nametag. Chang. And with that, she left.

Nice lady. Trowa commented as the door closed. Peter laughed dryly from the bed.

Yeah, a real mother hen that one. They should move her to the kid's ward he coughed. Water Trowa filled a cup from the pitcher on the nightstand and helped Peter with it.

Thanks.

No problem.

Let me guess. You want to know what I know, is that it?

If you feel up to it. Wufei replied.

Sure, I'm okay. First, tell me, how's my little sister?

She's going to be fine. She's downstairs recovering from a bullet wound.

You jerks! I told you to take care of her! Peter yelled.

Hey! Calm down before that nurse comes back and sedates your ass.

Fine Peter growled. But as soon as I'm better I'm gonna kick all your asses. Trowa and Wufei chuckled at that. Hmph. Anyway, here's what I know

Back at the 195th, Une, Scot, Peacecraft, and Noin were looking over the data sent in from the meteorological office.

All right, now we can see that the cloud was especially thick around the factory areas on a consistent basis. Milliardo observed.

T hat doesn't help us much. Captain Scot groused. There are fifteen large factory districts in this city and we don't have time to search them all.

You may not have to. Une said. If the gunk they found on our would-be hit man can be identified, we can significantly reduce the number of places that need to be searched.

And if it can't be?

Then we're up Shit Creek because nobody knows where those lunatics are based and as soon as they learn we're looking for them they'll jump ship again.

Great Noin groaned.

In the meantime, I suggest you get some paperwork done. The phone rang. Une hereyesI see. You're sure? Une gave her subordinates a look that clearly said 'stay'. Thanks a lot Otto. She hung up the phone. That was the crime lab. How much do you know about diphenylamine? Captain Scot scratched his head.

Diphenylamine? Is that some kind of allergy pill or something?

Actually, I don't know either but I'm thinking that Officer Chang might.

Eh? Whyzzat?

He worked for the bomb squad before he got transferred here, remember? I would think he'd know his chemicals.

And if he doesn't know this one? Milliardo inquired.

Then we ask him if he knows if he can find out.

Elsewhere, a man in a long trench coat made his way through a dimly lit corridor. Shaggy, brown hair obscured his vision. Opening the door to an office, he nodded a greeting to the portly man sitting in the corner before making his way to the desk at the other end of the room. Two other men were sitting behind it; another fat man and a thin one.

What have you learned, Mesor? the fat one asked.

Things aren't looking good, Mr. Evans. Mesor replied. The men you hired weren't able to kill the girl and it seems the tank police are well aware of our project. They don't know what your intentions are, however, so we may be able to complete it before they can stop us. Mr. Evans looked thoughtful and then turned to the man sitting next to him.

And what's your take on all of this, Dr. Simms?

Gentlemen I think it's time we gave the tank police something else to worry about. We can't afford to have them find us before the bomb is complete.

What do you have in mind?

Denis is still down at the Underbelly, isn't she? Let's give him a call and tell him to take the toys out. Dr. Simms turned to face the man in the corner. That is, if you have no objections, sir.

Go right ahead. The man replied. But remember that we only want to distract the police, not tip them off.

Understood.

Fireworks? Captain Scot blinked.

Yes. Wufei replied. Well that and pesticides, gunpowder, and igniters. Diphenylamine is a stabilizing agent used in their manufacture. Fireworks are most likely because there are six fireworks factories in this city and one factory that makes gunpowder.

So there's a chance the place we're looking for is near the gunpowder factory. Noin said.

Not really. Une said. That gunpowder factory is owned by the military and is located well outside the city boundaries; they wouldn't be in our search area

But the fireworks factories are?

Four of them, which means we're going to need a little more information.

Where from? Milliardo asked. It's not as if we can go to each factory and ask about this.

We know that the stuff found on the dead man's shoes contained traces of diphenylamine, but what else? Wufei mused. We could ask the crime lab to do a deeper analysis and see if we can find anything else.

An excellent idea. Une nodded. While you're here Wufei, did Peter Colwell tell you anything?

Well, he did fill in the gaps as to what happened back at that pharmaceutical plant. Other than that, he didn't tell us anything new.

I'll have guards posted at his room anyway as a precaution. Une said. Once this case is solved we're going to need all the witnesses we can get to make sure those lunatics don't get away.