Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ Tension ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: When I typed out chapter 27 of this story it was drastically different from what was written down in my notebook, so much so in fact that I had to re-write chapter 28 (which I had written down at the same time as the original chapter 27). Personally, I like this version better.


Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Twenty-Eight : Tension

Ma'am! Ma'am! one of the dispatchers said. We've got a call in from the 190 th about a suspicious vehicle heading into our area. A black sedan with civilian plates, license number 458722; three males are in the vehicle.

All right, that's got to be them. Chief Une nodded tersely. Send the orders to mobilize to the Pit.

Downstairs, the dispatcher's voice was barely heard over the clamor of men scurrying into their tanks, motors warming up, and Captain Scot barking orders. This was it.



//If we make it through this mess,// Captain Scot prayed. //I promise to do my paperwork .. . Eventually. // Out loud he said, Green Squad will consist of Williamson, Davis, Kilmer, Kilborne, Edwards, Price, Lyons, and Riley ; Price will lead . Red Squad: myself, Noin, Peacecraft, Chang, Barton, Winner, Yuy, and Maxwell. Red Squad will attempt to catch up to and pursue the sedan. Green Squad will set up a road block at coordinates to be determined once we've caught up with that car. The rest of you will stay behind just in case this one is a decoy. Let's show these bastards that they can't mess with our city! Move out!

As he was getting into the tank special, Captain Scot noticed Duo was getting into his souped-up spider tank. Duo shrugged at him.

You never know. He said. The captain nodded and then got into his tank and shut the hatch.

Chief Une watched from the window as the convoy of tanks raced out onto the streets. Relena put a hand on her shoulder. Don't worry.

I've been at the tank police for twenty years now; I don't think I could be calm if I wanted to. Une groused.

Out on the streets, the tank officers were feeling just as tense. Dispatch, Captain Scot barked into his transmitter. where's that car?

Three miles northeast of your current position. Said the dispatcher. We've managed to get a satellite uplink and we're tracking it that way.

Good, don't loose it. It sounds like they're heading for the old airport. They might have a plane waiting. The captain mused, then got back on the radio Green Squad, take the highway there and don't spare the gas. I want you to try and get there before they do and disable their aircraft.

Roger that. Green Squad's leader, Officer Price responded.

Red Squad, we'll continue on as planned and try to stop that car before it gets to the airport.

What if we can't stop it? Trowa asked, quietly.

If that happens we'll figure something out. Bit out the captain.

Unaware of the tactics set against them by the tank police, Simms, Evans and Mesor drove towards the airport. It wasn't until Mesor glanced at the rearview mirror that he noticed that they were being followed.

Damn! he cursed It's the tank police!

Let's not panic. Dr. Simms said languidly. Try to outrun them.

And if we can't?

Then we have no choice but to initiate Plan B. Personally I'd rather die than be caught by those barbarians. Mesor glanced back at him warily but said nothing.

They're actually going to try and outrun us? Heero blinked in surprise.

I'm not surprised, considering. Shrugged Quatre.

Well, there's no way they can escape us. Captain Scot said adamantly. We're the tank police, we always get our man!

Sir, that's the Mounties. Noin corrected.

Doesn't make it any less true. Milliardo snickered.

You're actually taking his side?!

This was an argument?

Hey, hey! We've got work to do, there will be plenty of time for ass-hattery later! barked the captain.

Promise? Heero asked, mock-hopefully .

Providing the Chief doesn't kill us, yes. Prepare for maneuvers, we're gonna try and box in these jokers. Maxwell, Yuy , you boys lead off.

Roger. They all replied.

Evans looked over his shoulder. It looks like they're going to try and box us in. Mesor, turn off at the next side street. The car did a sharp sevent y degree turn into a rather narrow, one way street.

Damn, they must have figured out what we were planning. Milliardo growled. What do we do now, captain?

We'll split up and try to cut them off another way. Dispatch, I need you to link the satellite tracking feed into my monitor here. Yuy and Maxwell go after them , the rest of us will figure out a way to block 'em off.

Right, I'll take the high road. Duo smirked, using the special legs of the spider tank to scale a nearby building.

And I'll take the low road. Heero nodded, going taking the same side street the sedan had.

And we'll catch up to the bad guys before ya! they both chorused.

Sometimes I wonder about those two. Wufei said.

Only sometimes? Quatre raised an eyebrow.

Did we lose them? Simms asked.

One of them is still following us. Mesor said, glancing at the rearview mirror again and seeing Heero's tank.

Well loose him! Dr. Simms growled, testily.

I'll try.

Don't try, do it!

Mesor desperately tried to shake Officer Yuy of his tail but to no avail. The tank police officer would not be deterred. He zigzagged through the empty streets, unhindered by traffic that normally populated it. His efforts were all in vain and became even more so when Duo decided to join in and jumped his tank off of a roof and onto the sedan. The occupants of the car screamed as Mesor lost control from surprise. Both vehicles slammed into a nearby grocery store, but only the sedan was crippled. Duo's tank only suffered a minor dent.

Nice. Heero commented as Duo's tank stepped away from the car. Captain Scot and the others arrived on the scene shortly afterwards. Hey, you're just in time, we're about to get to the slimy filling. Three dazed men tumbled out of the car; one of them was wearing a lab coat.

Stand up slowly and keep your hands where we can see them. Called the captain from his tank. Two of the men did as they were told, the man in the lab coat however, suddenly bolted. Stop him!

BOOM! An explosion of brick and mortar sprayed up in front of the fleeing scientist. All eyes slowly turned towards the smoking turret of the spider tank, its darker-haired occupants turned to the slightly smaller blonde one.

What? It worked, didn't it? Quatre quipped.

I knew there was a psycho in you somewhere. Duo laughed darkly.

You may have caught us, but its too late now. The scientist said, half coughing and half chuckling. The bomb is active. We have half an hour before it flattens and sterilizes this entire city. The chuckling stopped as he gave in to a coughing fit.

I suggest you give him an anti-bacterial mask. The taller of the other two men said. He can't breathe without it.

What? Captain Scot frowned.

You idiots, he's perfectly healthy. The third man snorted. His body doesn't contain the bacterial immunity ours do anymore; he can't breathe the air without a mask. Noin got out of the tank and placed what looked like a gas mask on the coughing man; the coughing soon subsided.

I thank you, but don't think I'll tell you where the bomb is. Glared the scientist.

You won't have to, Dr. Simms. Sergeant Peacecraft said. Yes, we know who you are. You may be a brilliant chemist but you're not especially knowledgeable when it comes to missiles and bombs.

What are you implying?

For a guy with a PhD you're not very clever. Trowa snorted. Your bomb contains a rather sizeable amount of a radioactive compound. Activating the bomb just makes it easier to find.

You'll never get there in time! scoffed Dr. Simms.

Maybe not, but we're damn well going to try. Quatre glared.