Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tenshi Oni ❯ Why Duo left her ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Farin was sitting on her bed holding the watch that Duo had given her earlier that night. "I am going to destroy it and I will be back later." Duo's voice rang out across the room and in to the hallway." Farin grabbed her head in her hands and covered her ears is if that would stop the torrent of memories from coming back. Flinched and dove under the covers of the bed when the first flash of lighting streaked the sky. She peeked her head out form under the covers and then dove back in when the thunder echoed its reply. She shivered under the covers for a few seconds then lit out of the room and across the hall to Wufei's door.

Wufei sat up in bed as the door to his room swung open. Framed in the door by the light coming across the hall was his koi. She was wearing blue valor pant and a spaghetti top. She inched in to the room and closed the door behind her.

"I lost my teddy bear, can I sleep with you? She asked in a soft, pain, edged voice.

He nodded and she crawled in to bed. The pajama set had silver dragons on them and one huge silver dragon on the shirt and on the waist band it read: property of Wufei Chang. And each sentence was spaced by blue dragons. He smiled at that as she curled her self to his body. Then his smile faded as she started to shake and shiver as if she was freezing and could not get warm.

"What is wrong?" Wufei asked in a caring tone. She shook her head. Wufei looked down at her and gently rub her back and she let out a small sigh and sat back on her heels and looked up at him with dull lifeless eyes and started to tell him of what happened oh so long ago.

It was a school day a Duo had gotten in to trouble again and we were walking back to the church through the snow. "Duo, why did you get in to a fight this time? She asked as she fingered the cross Sister Helen and Father Maxwell gave her a few days ago. "They said you were stupid and that you were going to leave me." He mumbled. She looked over at him and shook her head in silent awe. "Father Maxwell and Sister Helen are not going to let some one only adopt one of us, and you know that. Now come on. Sister Helen wanted us to collect snow for water to day." She ran a head of him.

"Hey, Farin!" he called and she stopped and as he thru a snow ball at her "catch" and it hit her right in the face. By the time the got back to the church and had filled up the waiting buckets their cloths were soaked and the cold to the bone. By now Sister Helen knew that this was going to happen and had towels ready for them.

Duo and Farin were in the hall drying off when they heard raised voices. Father Maxwell was telling somebody to leave and the door swung open and men with eyes of ice and flame walked out and brushed pass them with out a glance.

Duo had heard what it was about and went into the room and told Father Maxwell. "I am going to destroy it and I will be back later." Farin had been listening at the door and heard those ringing words and smiled to her self. 'He going to be in trouble again, I will go help him later if I can.' And with that thought, she crept down the hall to her room to change.

Later that night the men came back and Duo had already left. Farin heard their voices and went to listen outside the door.

"You MUST let us store it here it is the only safe place." A mans voice rang out in the night.

"No, I can not, Will not risk the safe of the people here." Father Maxwell said in a definite tone. Farin heard the foots steps and slunk in to the shadows and watch the men head for the door. As leader reached for the door it blew open and fire and smoke rained in. Father Maxwell was hit by some falling concrete… Sister Helen rushed down the hallway to check on the children. Farin glided after her, the building started to fall all around her and the flames started grow higher and higher. She looked up to find a way out the beam above her fell and then… she woke up to the sound of Duo trying to get Sister Helen to go to the hospital.

"No…Duo *chough*… I am not going to make it *chough* I am sorry about Father Maxwell and your sister *chough, hack, chough*. Sister Helen said as the light fade from her eyes and left Duo all alone in the world. Duo started to cry in slow silent sobs.

Farin tried to wriggle out from under the beam but it was on her legs and had trapped her. She reached out her hand to his back and also attempted to call him back but her voice would not work. Duo got up and said the Lord's pray over the site and walk out. Farin finally got her legs lose and looked up in time to see Duo walking away form the site through the swirling dust and out to the hills with the fire from the church outlining him as he walked and then a bomb dropped right behind him and she watched him die for no one could have surviled that blast. Duo was thrown a good deal away but he was not in the blast area it just seemed to be, yet he lay there on his stomach out cold in a ditch. Farin drifted over to where she had seen her brother died and all that was left was his black hair tie. She removed her cross form the string it was on and slipped it on the black ribbon. She prayed for her brother soul and those who had died there then left and never looked back.

"And that is why I hate nights like this" she said looking up into Wufei's dark eyes. Wufei pulled her in to his body and carefully drew his knees out from under himself and sunk back into the bed her lying on top of him. She let out a sigh of peace and contentment. Wufei pulled the covers up over them and rubbed her back until she fell into a dreamless sleep. After she was asleep he wondered how to help her stop having these nightmares. He got lost in his thought and then decided to think more on it in the morning and drifted in to sleep. And the next day he woke to the pre-dawn light and smiled down a his koi how was laying on his chest and thought to himself it is going to be a very busy day for it was Heero's birthday.