Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 2
 
"Good boy," said Heero as he patted the sleek, gray shoulder.
 
Shini gave a low wuffle and searched Heero's pockets for carrots. He was duly presented with a couple and munched happily, the bit in his mouth jingling as his jaws worked.
 
"He's certainly gotten his love of carrots from his old man," chuckled Duo as he watched Heero and the colt from the other side of the fence.
 
"As long as he's inherited Zero's love of jumping I don't care how many bags of carrots he eats," retorted Heero as he checked the mouthing gear again. Heero was beginning the preliminary stages of breaking Shinigami in. The colt was now two and had grown tremendously. He stood around fifteen hands at present and was filling out rapidly. With the new season of shows due to start soon, Heero knew the time he would have to spend on the colt and his basic education would be severely limited. Heero figured that if he could cover some of the basics now, then he could safely leave the colt for another year before settling into some serious breaking in once Shini was three. The colt was intelligent and it should only take a short refresher to reaffirm what Heero was teaching now.
 
"You know, I reckon he's going through another growth spurt," said Duo as he eyed the colt. "His rump is another good two inches higher than his wither."
 
Heero stepped back and took a good look. "I think you're right," he replied. "I'd say he could end up the same height as Zero when he's done growing."
 
"I'd guess about sixteen hands," said Duo thoughtfully as he sized up the horse's length of leg.
 
"Either way he will be a good height and broad through the chest. His hind end should be quite solid when he's finished growing."
 
"It will need to be," snickered Duo.
 
"And just what do you mean by that?" asked Heero, a mischievous glint in his eye as he stepped closer to the fence.
 
"With the future you have mapped out for him he's going to need all the strength he can get in those hind quarters."
 
"Just as long as you aren't insinuating anything about my weight."
 
Duo grinned. "Never said a word about it, but, I'm sure I can help you work off a few pounds if you think you're getting a little flabby." The words were accompanied by a sultry leer.
 
"I don't doubt that for a minute. However, I don't think it's me that needs the workout here." Heero let his gaze wander the length of his boyfriend's body then cocked his head.
 
"Why you..." Duo hopped over the fence and tackled Heero to the ground, Shini shied away from the wrestling humans, opting to watch their antics from a slightly safer distance.
 
"Is this a private groping session or can anyone join in?"
 
The pair on the ground froze and then Heero turned beet red while Duo jumped to his feet. "Quatre! I didn't hear you pull up."
 
"You were obviously preoccupied with other, shall we say, more interesting things?" replied the blonde with a smirk.
 
Duo hopped back over the fence and gave his friend a warm hug. Heero got to his feet a little slower, dusting off his pants as he approached the fence.
 
"Trowa's just coming. He stopped to say hello to Scythe," said Quatre as he shook hands with Heero over the fence.
 
"You mean stuff her with sugar," snickered Duo.
 
"That too," grinned Quatre.
 
Scythe had a sweet tooth; a very sweet tooth. She loved carrots just like Zero and Shini did but her secret passion was sugar cubes. It was quite funny to see Scythe with sugar, her eyes all but glazed over. Duo swore that sugar and Scythe's reaction to it was the closest thing the horse would probably ever experience to an orgasm. Quatre and Trowa had thought that hysterical. Heero didn't think it was all that funny.
 
"Ah, here he comes now," said Quatre as his eyes alighted on the lanky form of his own lover strolling towards them, a slightly shorter figure at his side.
 
Both Heero's and Duo's attention was drawn to the animal shelter proprietor and the person with him. Duo gave the blonde inspector a curious look.
 
"I know you only invited Trowa and myself to dinner, but we had an unexpected guest arrive on our doorstep and I hoped you wouldn't mind if we brought her with us. I would have called but with one thing and another time just got away from me. We quite understand if it's not appropriate," Quatre began to apologize.
 
"Q-man, settle down," said Duo as he squeezed his friend's arm. "It's no problem at all. Heero made a beef hot pot for dinner so there's plenty to go around."
 
"Who is she?" Heero murmured under his breath.
 
"I'll let Trowa do the introductions in a second. I'll just let them know it's okay." The blonde left his friends and approached the pair.
 
Trowa and the mystery guest arrived at the paddock fence a few moments later and Trowa did the honors of introducing the woman. "Duo, Heero, I'd like you to meet my sister Catherine. Catherine, these are my dear friends, Duo and Heero," said Trowa as he indicated to the vet and the rider.
 
Catherine extended her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I've heard a lot about you both from Trowa; and Quatre too," she added hastily as she caught the Inspector's eye.
 
"Don't believe a word of it, we are innocent until proven guilty," quipped Duo as he took the woman's hand and kissed the back of it. "I'm Duo, the vet."
 
"And I'm Heero, the innocent party," deadpanned Heero as he shook the woman's hand.
 
Catherine gave a snort of laughter. "I can see I'm going to like you two."
 
***
 
Sitting around the table enjoying the meal that Heero had prepared earlier, the conversation began to flow. The group discussed Quatre's current cases with the R.S.P.C.A and in particular one of neglect involving a dog which Duo had been called in on. Quatre was happy to report that the man had been taken to court and successfully prosecuted. A fine of five thousand dollars and a lifetime ban on ever keeping a pet again were the outcome. Duo was similarly pleased at the result.
 
"The dog has now been placed and when I checked on him last week he was looking really good," said Quatre. "I'd say the new owners will be bringing him in soon for you to check over as well, Duo."
 
"I'll look forward to it," replied Duo. "It's always nice to see the changes in those animals once they get a decent shot at life."
 
"It's amazing to see what good food and kind treatment can do for an animal," stated Catherine. "To look at some of the animals that come into Trowa's shelter... It's disgusting, and yet, give them a few weeks of good care and they are completely different."
 
"I agree," said Duo as he turned his attention to the young woman. "You work much with animals?"
 
Catherine faltered a little and looked to Trowa who nodded back. Placing her napkin on the table, Catherine turned to face the young vet and cleared her throat. "Yes, I suppose you could say I did. I don't know what Trowa has told you about our backgrounds..."
 
"He did say he was brought up in a circus," interrupted Duo, "but he's never spoken much about it." Duo turned to look at Trowa.
 
Quatre and Catherine also looked at Trowa who gazed steadily back at them. "It's okay, Cathy. I never really mentioned much about my past to Duo or Heero, it never really came up in the conversation. I don't have anything to hide and I'm not ashamed."
 
Heero looked quizzically from one to the other. "It's none of our business and if you don't want us to know then we don't have to. It's not going to change the friendship."
 
Trowa gave the rider a warm smile. "It's really quite boring."
 
Duo grinned. "I like boring."
 
Cathy shook her head and then began to speak. "In a nutshell Trowa and I were brought up in the circus. Our parents were performers, a high wire act and Trowa followed in their footsteps. I was more for the 'on the ground' acts and worked with the performing dogs and horses as well as assisting with the knife thrower. Our parents were killed in a high wire accident when we were both still under twelve and the rest of the troupe pretty much raised us. Trowa didn't do any further high wire acts, instead he helped me with the dogs and ponies, he also worked with me in the knife act. He had an uncanny ability with the animals though and soon he was working with the big cats."
 
Duo gave a low whistle. "Now that's what I call living dangerously. You couldn't have one of those sitting on your lap and kneading its claws."
 
Everyone laughed and it broke the mild tension that had begun to rise.
 
Cathy continued. "Once Trowa was old enough he moved away from the circus and set out to chase his dream, a dream of running his own animal shelter. He's succeeded in that dream and I am so proud of him." Cathy gave her brother a warm smile. "I decided to stay with the circus and would have still been there if not for the tragedy a few weeks ago."
 
"Tragedy?" questioned Heero.
 
Catherine's eyes watered a little as she became lost in her memories. "It was late one evening, the final act had come and gone, the crowd had left and everyone was settling down for the night. I'd only been asleep in my trailer for I guess, a couple of hours when I was woken by screaming and yelling. I jumped out of bed and grabbed a wrap; the air was thick with smoke and it was hard to breathe." The young woman stopped, unable to go on so Trowa took over for her.
 
"The police say the fire was deliberately lit but they haven't found enough evidence to lead them to the perpetrators of the crime. We have our suspicions but..."
 
Quatre lay his hand on top of Trowa's. He'd already heard the news when Catherine had turned up on their doorstep, lost, frightened and with nowhere else to go. He glanced at Duo and Heero to see how they were reacting to the news.
 
"Deliberately lit?" questioned Duo, his eyes wide.
 
"By the time the fire brigade arrived there wasn't much they could do. As you can appreciate, the place went up like a tinder box, there's a lot of combustible material associated with a circus," said Catherine with tears in her eyes.
 
"The entire place went up in smoke. Only the frame work of the big top and some of the animal cages were left at the end of it," added Trowa in a quiet voice.
 
"The people?" asked Heero in a hushed tone.
 
"The animals?" questioned Duo, his voice thick.
 
Trowa shook his head. "A couple of the performers died trying to save the animals; it was hopeless. The fire had taken hold and there was nothing they could do. They knew it was suicide to even try - but they did."
 
"Oh, Cathy, Trowa... I don't know what to say," said Duo, a lump in his throat.
 
"I'd like to find those bastards and string them up by the balls," growled Heero. "Pardon my language," he added in apology to Catherine.
 
Cathy smiled through her watery eyes. "Well, what's done is done and there isn't much I or any of the other performers can do about it. The investigation is still continuing but the police don't hold much hope."
 
"Can you rebuild? Start again?" asked Duo as he pushed the last of his food around his plate, his appetite gone.
 
"I wish we could, but, the boss was one of those who died in the fire. Oh, the circus was insured but the boss was the benefactor and he didn't leave a will."
 
"So the state will pretty much take everything," said Heero who was more conversant with the way the laws worked having been an accountant.
 
"Yes, that's the long and short of it. I didn't have anywhere else to go so I thought I would come and visit my brother, help him out for a bit while I try to sort my life out and figure out what to do and where to go from here." Cathy picked up her napkin and dabbed at her eyes. "So, that's the whole story of why I'm here visiting Trowa. Now, I believe you're an aspiring Olympic rider, Heero?" The woman swiftly changed the subject.
 
Duo had to admire the strength the woman showed. To watch your entire life go up in flames, lose everything that meant something to you and then have to start again completely from scratch was not going to be easy. The conversation continued on around him but Duo only listened with half an ear, his mind was on those poor animals who had perished and the low lives that could do such a thing. He was jolted from his thoughts though when Heero dug him in the ribs. "Ow!"
 
"Duo, that's the intercom from the surgery, I think Hilde needs you," said Heero as he poked his lover.
 
"Ah, sorry." Duo got up and went through to the lounge where the intercom was based. The unit was making an insistent buzzing sound and Duo quickly hit the 'talk' button. "What's up, Hilde?"
 
* * *
 
Heero tried to listen in on what was happening in the lounge but wasn't very successful, the volume of conversation pretty much drowned out anything he could have heard. He looked up seconds later though when Duo appeared in the kitchen doorway, his face pale.
 
"I'm sorry guys, I have to dash up to the surgery. Hilde's had an emergency come in and needs my assistance." As Duo was explaining to his group of friends so he was also locating his shoes and putting them on.
 
"Need some help?" asked Heero as he began to stand.
 
"I should be fine," replied Duo as he looked pointedly at their guests.
 
Heero got the message and sat down again. "If you do need help, just buzz, okay?"
 
Duo nodded. "I apologize for having to dash off..."
 
"It's quite okay, Duo. We understand. Is there anything we can do to help?" asked Quatre.
 
"Nah. Thanks for the offer though. You guys finish off dinner, I may catch you before you go, depends on how long this consult takes."
 
"Would you mind if I... I mean, I don't want to impose or anything but I'm really interested in what you do and if it would be okay, could I come and watch?" asked Catherine.
 
Duo gave the girl a warm smile, his compassionate side coming through. In light of what she'd been through it might not be a good idea but then again, it might do the young girl a bit of good. "If you want to," he said. "Although I do warn you, it could be messy. Hilde didn't exactly say what the problem was, just an M.V.A."
 
"M.V.A.?" asked Catherine as he stood up.
 
"Motor vehicle accident," supplied Heero.
 
"Oh. I'd still like to come if I'm not going to be in the way. I'm used to blood and stuff, I did tend to the circus animals quite a lot when they..."
 
"Come on then," smiled Duo. "Let's go give Hilde a hand." Duo turned to the rest of the group. "Come on up by the surgery if we're not back by the time you're ready to leave."
 
"Will do," answered Trowa.
 
The vet disappeared with Trowa's sister in tow. Once they had gone the remaining three finished off the last of their meal and then cleared the table. Trowa and Quatre insisted on doing the dishes; Heero didn't object. Once the kitchen was tidy they sat down again with a mug of coffee each and let their dinner settle.
 
"I'd better go and bring the nags in and give them their dinner," said Heero as he drained his mug and looked at the clock.
 
"We'll give you a hand," said Quatre as he also finished his coffee and stood up, picking up Trowa's empty mug and taking the two over to the sink.
 
"We will?" questioned Trowa who was quite comfortable in his chair and had even begun to doze off.
 
"Yes, we will," repeated Quatre and gave his boyfriend a stern look.
 
Trowa shrugged his shoulders and stood up, following the other two out of the kitchen and to the stables.
 
* * *
 
Duo's mind was running overtime as he entered the back door of the vet practice. Quickly he strode down the hall and into the consulting room, Catherine following close behind. "What's the problem, Hilde?" he asked as his eyes took in the cardboard box sitting on the examination table.
 
"Mrs. Marx just brought her cat in, Duo. She's out in the waiting room, I thought it best if she wasn't in here while we look at the cat. She said she'd just let Blackie out for a run when she heard the screech of brakes. She ran outside but it was too late, the car had sped off and Blackie was lying on the side of the road, and, well... You take a look and see what you think." Hilde turned and for the first time spotted Catherine standing behind Duo just in the doorway. "Hello, who are you?" she asked with a forced smile. Whatever lay in that box had visibly shaken the female vet.
 
"Sorry, I'm forgetting my manners. Hilde, this is Catherine, Trowa's sister. Catherine, this is Hilde my assistant vet in the practice and good friend. Catherine is visiting Trowa at the moment and when I got your call to come up and see this emergency she asked if she could come and help."
 
"Nice to meet you," said Hilde as she offered her hand and shook the other woman's.
 
"Nice to meet you too, Hilde."
 
"You may change your mind about helping once you see what the damage is," said Hilde in a low voice. "It isn't pretty and no one will think any less of you if you want to pull out."
 
"I'll be fine," replied Catherine with a steely determination. "I like animals and I've worked with them before."
 
"We'll see," muttered Hilde and turned her attention back to the table and Duo who was now lifting the small creature from inside the box with gentle hands. Hilde wasn't being rude, simply stating the facts. She'd had more than enough experience with people over the years of her practicing. They were willing enough to help but usually found the blood and guts all a bit too much and on several occasions Hilde had found herself deserted by her 'help', said help either running for the toilet or flat out on the floor in a dead faint.
 
Duo gently lay the injured cat on the examination table and began to check over the mangled body. "Fucking hell," he swore softly as he prodded around.
 
The cat turned its head slightly and tried to meow. A rusty sound came from its mouth, along with blood, foam and saliva.
 
"Jesus Christ!" It was all Duo could do to hold onto his dinner and he was used to seeing some pretty grotesque things. "Hilde, give me a shot of Nembutal, now!" [1]
 
Hilde reached for the anesthetic bottle and drew out a few cc's into a syringe. Wordlessly she passed the needle to Duo who injected the animal. Blackie began to slump as the anesthetic coursed through his blood stream, releasing him from his world of pain for a short while at least.
 
With the cat now sleeping peacefully, Duo was able to conduct his examination more thoroughly and without fear of hurting the cat any further. His lips were set into a grim line, his skin pale as he took in the condition of the little animal.
 
Catherine inched closer and saw the full extent of the cat's injuries. Her hand flew to her mouth, not to stop the gag reflex as Hilde had thought, but to stop the string of curses that wanted to come out as her shocked eyes took in the damage. "Can - can you help it?"
 
"I don't know," replied Duo honestly. There's a couple of fractures to the right back leg and they should be easy enough to set, the scrapes are full of dirt and a few need stitching. Those aren't the problem; this is." Duo gently turned the cat over to expose the other side of its face, or rather what one would assume was its face.
 
The skin had been pulled back, literally peeled away from the skull, the glint of bone showing. That wasn't the worst though. The small, lower jaw was shattered, broken into at least three pieces and twisted around in such a manner that it didn't look like it was a part of the cat at all.
 
"That is where the problem lies. I can reattach the skin to the skull but it's that jaw. It will need very careful surgery, tiny pins and plates to reconstruct it and even if we are successful in sorting out the mess and reattaching the jaw, there's no guarantee that the jaw will function normally or that the cat will be able to eat again. Duo blew out a long breath and straightened up.
 
"What's the alternative?" asked Catherine.
 
"Euthanasia," said Hilde sadly as she ran a hand along what was once gleaming fur.
 
"You can't..." began Catherine.
 
"It's not up to us, Cathy," said Duo softly. "I'll need to speak with Mrs. Marx and let her know what the options are. It's her choice as it's her cat. We can operate and do our best, but this is micro surgery of sorts and it won't be cheap." Duo gave the girl's arm a squeeze and left the room to speak with the owner.
 
"It seems so sad," said Cathy as she watched the sleeping animal.
 
"I know," replied Hilde. The young girl had gone up several notches on Hilde's 'likable' meter, her obvious concern and lack of fainting or throwing up had gone a long way towards that. Hilde found she was starting to really like this woman.
 
Duo returned a few minutes later. "Scrub up, Hilde, we're going into surgery."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....
 
[1] Nembutal: Common name Pentobarbital. It's a drug used to treat insomnia in humans but also as a sedative in animals.