Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 56 ( Chapter 56 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 56
 
Treize's face creased into a smile and he eagerly stepped forward, embracing the blonde vet in a quick hug, a hug that could be termed a welcome from one friend to another and yet held more meaning to it than that for both Treize and Zechs. Heero, Duo and Joe held back, giving the pair a moment together before they joined in with the welcome.
 
"Good to see you again, Zechs," Heero said as he shook hands with the tall man.
 
"Likewise," Zechs replied and then found himself enveloped in a quick hug from Duo.
 
"Glad you could make it, Zechs. Would have been good if you could have got here earlier, you missed Treize's massacring of the opposition in the A grade," Duo quipped, his eyes sparkling.
 
"Really?"
 
"It wasn't a massacre, Duo," Treize stated.
 
"Maybe not in the true sense, but you sure did beat the pants off them all. Showed 'em what the Aussies can do," Duo returned, his enthusiasm boundless.
 
Treize simply rolled his eyes.
 
"Is that true? You won the A grade competition?" Zechs asked turning back to his lover with wide, blue eyes.
 
"Errr... Yes. I did win the A grade - oomph." The rest of Treize's words were cut off as Zechs grabbed him and proceeded to squeeze the life out of him.
 
"That's great! Congratulations! Well done! I'd say that calls for a celebration," Zechs enthused as he let go of his partner.
 
Heero and Duo watched in amusement as Treize began to blush slightly with all the attention he was getting.
 
“When you've finished here with the horses, what say we find a nice restaurant in the town and have a celebration meal?” Zechs asked.
 
“That would be lovely,” Treize replied with a soft smile. It felt good to have his lover finally with him.
 
“And you're all invited too,” Zechs said as he turned to face Heero, Duo and Joe. “That's if you don't mind, Treize?”
 
“Of course I don't mind.”
 
“Thank you, but I'm afraid I will have to decline,” Joe said. “I'd rather not leave the horses for too long,” he added by way of explanation.
 
“You don't have to stay with them all the time, Joe. You are entitled to have some time off,” Treize said.
 
“I know, boss. But I don't feel comfortable in those fancy places and I'd rather stay here with the horses. I appreciate the invite and it's nothing personal, I just...”
 
“It's okay, Joe.” Treize said with a hand to the groom's shoulder. “I understand.”
 
Joe wished the ground would open up and swallow him, he hated being the center of attention.
 
“What about you two?” Treize asked as he turned to Heero and Duo.
 
“We'd love to come and celebrate with you. Thank you for asking,” Heero replied for the both of them.
 
“Good.” Zechs rubbed his hands together. “Hurry up and finish off your horses and we can get going.”
 
* * *
 
The meal was excellent. Zechs found a quaint little restaurant just off the main street in the town that was cozy and served great food. The four had enjoyed good food, wine and service and were all feeling comfortably full by the time they left to head back to the hotel.
 
“What time tomorrow does the cup competition start?” asked Zechs as he brushed shoulders with Treize as he stepped around the other man to get into the car.
 
“Four in the afternoon,” Treize replied as he settled into the car's plush interior.
 
“We have a practice session with Noin at ten,” Heero reminded him.
 
“When will you find out what team order you're jumping in?” Duo asked as he did up his seat belt and slipped his hand into Heero's.
 
“Probably after we've had our practice session. Noin will need to go to the officials' meeting for the draw to take place. Once she knows what order the countries are jumping in she will make her decision as to what order we will jump in for our team,” Treize stated as Zechs drove them back to the hotel.
 
“I wonder what number you two will be?” Duo pondered aloud.
 
“The individual jumping number doesn't bother me so much as the team order,” replied Heero.
 
“Why?” Duo turned to look at his lover, curiosity on his face.
 
“It would be preferable to be jumping towards the end of the entries, that way we get a good look at the other teams and know where we stand and what we need to do to beat them.”
 
“Heero's right,” Treize said from the front of the car. “It's the same with a jump off. The further down in the field you are, the better your chances. You know what the time to beat is, you know if you will need to cut corners or simply take it steady and come out clear to win.”
 
“Ah, I get it,” replied Duo.
 
“I wish I did,” Zechs sighed innocently. “It's been a while since I got any at all.”
 
“Zechs!” Treize's horrified voice all but yelled.
 
In the back of the car, Heero and Duo collapsed into fits of laughter.
 
“But it's the truth, Treize,” Zechs continued to tease, a smile playing over his lips.
 
“Keep that up and you'll be waiting a lot longer for it too,” Treize snorted, his face blushing with the blatant teasing.
 
Zechs decided he'd better keep quiet, just in case Treize did carry through on his threat. He gave his lover a seductive smile instead.
 
They arrived back at the hotel and made their way inside. It was still early by most peoples' standards, a little after nine, but the four decided to call it a night and head for bed anyway. They had a busy day ahead of them tomorrow and a good night's sleep would do them the world of good.
 
Treize gave Joe a quick call to see if all was well with the horses as they rode the elevator to their floor. Joe reported that everything was fine, all animals had eaten their dinners and were comfortably dozing in their stables. Stepping out of the elevator, they strode down the hall towards their respective rooms, parting company at their doors.
 
"See you guys in the morning," Treize said as he unlocked the door to his room.
 
"Bright and early," Duo replied. "Oh, and keep the noise down a little, won't you? The walls in these hotels are paper thin," he added with a snicker.
 
"Yes, I know. You really should take a little of your own advice there, Doctor Maxwell," Treize said with a knowing smirk. Giving wink to Heero, Treize ushered his partner into their room and shut the door, leaving a red faced, gaping Duo staring after them.
 
"Wha - H - How? Why that cheeky..."
 
"Duo, close your mouth and get inside," Heero said as he tried to stop himself from laughing.
 
"I'll have him know we're not noisy!"
 
"Duo. Inside - now!" Heero all but shoved his partner inside their room before people came out to see what was going on.
 
Inside Treize's room the tall rider had his lover locked in a warm embrace, lips moving hungrily over the blonde's.
 
"Did you really mean that?" Zechs asked as they broke for air.
 
"Mean what?"
 
"That you could hear those two through the walls."
 
'No, but Duo doesn't have to know that," Treize swooped in for another kiss.
 
"You're evil, you know that?"
 
"Evil huh? Come here and I'll show you this evil devil's horn."
 
"Ohhh... Now that's what I call a big horn. Mmmm... Hot too." Moments later, Zechs found himself lying flat on his back with a very horny devil hovering over the top of him. If this was hell, he was quite happy he'd remembered to pack the sun screen.
 
* * *
 
Breakfast was a little more subdued than usual. All team members were on the quiet side, each locked in his own thoughts as the competition they had all worked so hard for was now looming on the horizon. Noin wasn't worried, she knew nerves were bound to be making their presence felt and quite frankly, if they hadn't been nervous then she would certainly be close to panic herself. Nerves were good in one way, they kept the rider alert.
 
Sipping on her cup of tea, Noin gazed around the subdued occupants. She smiled when she saw Zechs, Treize had told her the vet would be arriving and she'd spoken to the tall man earlier. Clearing her throat, Noin spoke to her team.
 
“I expect you all to be mounted and warmed up by ten. I will meet you in the practice area to the back left of the stable block. I've spoken with the committee and we have the area all to ourselves for an hour. I don't intend to do too much with you all, just some basic ground work and then pop you all over a few fences to sharpen your wits in preparation for the competition this afternoon.” Noin paused for a moment to finish her tea and then continued.
 
“I have to attend the draw in the stewards room at twelve-thirty and once we know what order the countries will be jumping in, I'll need to give them the individual number order for the team. I expect to be out of the meeting by one and I want you all to be present in the stable block at one or very close to it. I'll let you know then what the draw is and what order you will be jumping in. Any questions?”
 
No one appeared to have any.
 
“Good. I'll see you all at ten.” Noin pushed her chair back and exited the hotel dining room.
 
The remainder of the group chatted quietly amongst themselves.
 
“I hope we draw last place,” Alex muttered.
 
“Be good if we did,” agreed Zoe.
 
“Can't see it happening. Knowing our luck we'll draw first spot,” Treize stated.
 
“I hate going first,” Heero said. “I prefer to have a few other riders go through and give me the chance to see how the course is riding.”
 
“Not much we can do about it,” Zoe said as she pushed her empty plate away.
 
“Just better hope for a decent draw, that's about all we can do,” Alex commented and stuffed a piece of toast into his mouth. “I'm done. You want a lift to the stables, Zoe?”
 
“If you don't mind, that would be good.”
 
“No problem. I'm heading out in about ten. Meet you in the car park.”
 
“We should be going too, Duo.” Heero turned to his partner.
 
“Right with you, Heero,” Duo replied and quickly swallowed the last of his eggs.
 
“You need a hand?” Zechs asked Treize as the ginger haired man placed his knife and fork together on his empty plate.
 
“I'm sure Joe has taken care of the majority of things, but moral support would go a long way.” Treize smiled at the blonde.
 
“Knew I should have brought the pom poms,” Zechs replied with a smirk.
 
“Ah, the frilly skirt and pom poms come later, once we're competing.” Treize decided to do a little of his own teasing.
 
“Cheer squad?” Heero said as he caught wind of the conversation, beside him Duo cocked his head.
 
“I think these two would look divine in short skirts with pom poms, don't you, Heero?” Treize said as he tried to keep a straight face.
 
“Just because we have long hair doesn't mean we're feminine,” growled Duo in his and Zechs' defense.
 
“No one said you were,” replied Treize. “In fact,” Treize ran his fingers over Zechs' groin under the table, “I'd say you're definitely male.”
 
Zechs shuddered at the touch and it didn't take Duo two seconds to figure out what was going on under the table.
 
“I don't think having them out there in short skirts would do the team much good,” Heero interrupted.
 
“Oh?” Three raised sets of eyebrows greeted Heero's words.
 
“No. They'd be too much of a distraction. I for one wouldn't be able to concentrate on my riding knowing Duo was cheering on the sidelines in a short skirt.” Heero kept his voice low and his mind offered a mental picture of Duo in a skirt, a skirt that was riding up - and no underwear on either.
 
“Good point,” Treize replied.
 
“I think we should leave now before we frighten the entire dining room,” Zechs murmured. “Short skirt indeed!”
 
* * *
 
Duo had Zero saddled up by the time Heero had finished putting his boots on. The gray was excited. Stamping a hoof from time to time he let his impatience be known. Zero could sense the tension in the air and knew there was something important ahead.
 
"Steady on, old son," Heero soothed as he checked his girth. "You'll be out there soon enough showing them all how good you can be."
 
"Ready?" Duo asked as he handed Heero his whip.
 
"Yeah," Heero replied and tried to quell the butterflies in his stomach. Leading Zero outside, Heero mounted and headed for the warm up area Noin had said to meet her in.
 
"I'll walk down with Zechs," Duo said as Heero halted the gray and made him wait.
 
"Okay then. I'll see you down there."
 
Treize appeared with Tall Geese and after mounting, rode off beside Heero. Zechs stood beside Duo and the pair gazed after the two riders.
 
"They look good on horseback, don't they?" Zechs murmured.
 
Duo's eyes gave an evil glint as his mind kick started. "I don't know about Treize, but Heero looks even better flat on his back."
 
"Duo!" Zechs turned to face his fellow vet, eyes wide and then he burst into laughter at the mischievous look on Duo's face. Zechs' eyes narrowed and an evil smirk crossed his face. "Treize is even better bare back."
 
Duo almost choked. "Zechs! I never would have thought something like that would come out of your mouth. Next thing you'll be telling me you need the whip and spurs..." Duo's eyes widened considerably at the look Zechs gave him. "On second thoughts - I really don't want to know."
 
Zechs burst out into deep laughter, the look on Duo's face had been priceless. "Come on, we'd better get going if we want to offer that moral support."
 
Shaking his head, Duo followed. He'd never have picked the blonde vet for one to tease like that. Behind them, Joe brought Duck out of his stable and followed along, the mini pony snatching mouthfuls of grass whenever he could.
 
* * *
 
Noin had joined the riders and was busy instructing them on the flat. All the horses had warmed up well and gotten the tickle out of their feet and were now working steadily. Noin was pleased with the team thus far, the improvement in them all since the camp was clearly evident. She felt a small amount of satisfaction knowing the group had obviously listened to their lessons during the camp and tried hard to work on their faults. There was nothing more rewarding to an instructor than to see a pupil going ahead in leaps and bounds and knowing you were the one to help them.
 
After a good twenty minutes on the flat, Noin gave the team a breather and adjusted the practice jumps that had been set for them. Once she was satisfied with the fences she returned to the group and explained what she wanted them to do. Firstly she wanted each of them to jump the six fences in the order she gave. Depending on how they tackled those they would either jump them again or move onto the grid she had set up. Once everyone was clear on what Noin wanted, she gave the riders a few minutes to walk the 'course'.
 
With the riders back in their respective saddles, Noin had Zoe start. The mare popped over the fences with ease, full of energy. Duo had expected the mare to have shown a little tiredness after yesterday's competition, but Periwinkle was as fresh as a daisy. Alex went next, Firefox clearing all the fences and eager for more. After Alex went Heero. Zero was pulling hard, he wanted to jump! It took all Heero's concentration to keep the stallion where he wanted him and make him listen. Luckily Zero grudgingly slowed his pace to what Heero wanted and cleared all the fences with inches to spare.
 
Treize was last to go. He circled Goose around and then put him at the first fence. Goose seemed to slow down, reluctance clearly showing in his stride. Treize worked hard to keep the bay going and only just scraped over the first jump. Zechs frowned as he watched, beside him Duo was also frowning. Goose didn't look himself at all.
 
Approaching the second fence, Treize could feel his mount slowing further. Treize applied his legs hard, even going so far as to give Goose a good dig with his heels and then follow up with his whip. Goose dug his toes in and refused the fence.
 
“Something's not right,” Heero muttered. To the side, Duo was thinking the same thing.
 
Treize turned Goose around and brought him at the jump again. Once more Goose dug in his hooves and refused to jump.
 
Zechs was getting worried; as was Noin and the rest of the team. The last thing Noin needed was for one of their best hopes to go off his jumping.
 
“What's the problem, Treize?” Noin shouted as she walked over to the rider and his sour looking horse.
 
“I'm not sure,” Treize replied honestly. “Maybe I should get Zechs or Duo to have a look at him.”
 
“Good idea.” Noin turned and indicated for Treize to follow. The rest of the group were all chattering amongst themselves, wondering why Goose was refusing, especially after his excellent performance the previous day.
 
Zechs immediately began to check Goose over, Duo standing to the side, his head cocked as his eyes ran over the bay. Shifting slightly, Duo's gaze drifted over the rest of the group, catching Heero's look that clearly said he was as stumped as everyone else. Then Duo's eyes scanned quicker and the proverbial light bulb went off in his head.
 
“Where's Joe and Duck?” Duo said.
 
“They're over...” Treize began and then stopped. He looked around the belt of trees where Joe and Duck should have been standing. “They're not there.”
 
“I can see that,” Duo remarked.
 
“No wonder Goose won't jump,” muttered Treize. “Miss Noin, I'm terribly sorry about this. I need to find Duck and then I'm sure Goose will be back to his jumping with no fuss.”
 
Noin laughed. “I'd forgotten about the mini influence.”
 
“I wonder where they are?” Duo mused. “Joe and Duck were right behind us when we left the stables. I'll go look for them.”
 
“Thanks, Duo,” Treize replied.
 
“Right. While Doctor Maxwell is locating Goose's security blanket, the rest of you can jump the course again,” Noin said and then proceeded to tell them what she wanted this time in regards to speed and turns.
 
Duo wandered off in the direction of the stables. It didn't take him long to find Joe and Duck. The mini pony had found himself a thick patch of grass and was busy mowing it. Joe was sitting in the grass, his boot off his foot and cradling a swollen looking ankle. “Joe? Joe, are you okay? What happened?” Duo asked as he knelt beside the groom.
 
“Little shit decided he wanted a green pick and completely took me by surprise. Before I could think, he'd pulled me over here. I caught my foot in a tree root trying to stop him. I think I've sprained my ankle.”
 
That would explain why Joe had been unable to lead Duck to the practice area, Duo thought to himself. Quickly he took a look at the ankle, fingers moving gently but expertly over the joint. “I know I'm not a human doctor, Joe, but I'd say it's certainly sprained. It needs to be strapped and supported. You stay here and I'll go back down to the stables and grab a couple of bandages from the first aid kit in Zero's locker. I won't be long.”
 
“Thanks, Duo.”
 
It didn't take Duo long to fetch what he needed and he was soon strapping the ankle. He knew better than to suggest to Joe that he stay off it and go to the local hospital or doctors surgery for an x-ray. Joe would go later, once he knew the horses were okay. With the ankle now strapped, Joe was able to put some weight on it and managed to hobble along. Duo grabbed Duck's lead rope and despite the pony trying to pull back to the grass, Duo stood firm, even going so far as to growl at the animal. Once Duo growled at him, Duck thought it best to give in, he'd had enough grass for now. Suddenly, it dawned on Duck that his 'mate' wasn't around.
 
He gave a high pitched neigh.
 
“Come on, you mini terrorist,” Duo growled. “You've caused enough trouble for one day. By rights I should be putting Joe on your back for you to carry seeing as how you caused his sprained ankle.”
 
With the mini pony on one side and Joe leaning on his other side, Duo made it back to the team. Immediately Treize was beside them demanding to know what had happened. The rest of the team, Noin and Zechs weren't far behind.
 
After both Joe and Duo had related their respective tales and Joe's bound ankle had been checked by Noin, Treize and Zechs, Duck was reacquainted with Goose and the big bay seemed to visibly relax. Duck was tethered to a tree and Noin recommenced her training session. Treize once more rode Goose at the course and this time the stallion responded beautifully, sailing over everything as if he didn't have a care in the world. The rest of the team, Noin included, wouldn't have believed it if they hadn't seen it. Clearly the mini pony did have a strong influence over Goose.
 
Once the course had been completed to Noin's satisfaction, she took them to the grid and had them ride it several times. The grid was a series of five jumps in a straight line. Usually a grid was set with anything from no stride to two or three strides in-between each jump. This time though, Noin had deliberately off set the strides, putting a couple of jumps with one stride and then two with one and a half strides. By the time all four team members had completed the grid four times, the horses were really listening to their riders. That was what Noin had been aiming for.
 
Now that their attention was fixed firmly on their riders, Noin knew she had a team with a good chance. Just as long as they could all keep their focus in the arena. Deciding they'd all had enough, she called a halt to the coaching session. Speaking with each rider individually first, she then addressed them as a group.
 
“I'll leave you all now to take your horses back to the stables and cool them off. I'll be going to the meeting shortly for the draw and to put in your jumping order. Once I'm finished with the official part I'll return to the stables and let you know what order the countries will be jumping in and also to inform you of what number each of you will be in the team. Thank you.”
 
The team began to filter off towards the stable block, Duo leading Duck and Zechs giving Joe a hand.
 
* * *
 
Noin smiled a little as the final team was drawn. She looked at the jumping order and decided they hadn't done too badly after all. They weren't last in the competition, but they weren't first either. All in all, it was a pretty good result.
 
The steward beckoned her over and she gave him the information he required; namely the order in which her team would be jumping. Once the formalities were out of the way, Noin thought she'd best head back to the stables where the team would be eagerly awaiting her and their fate.
 
Best not to keep them on tenterhooks too long.
 
Back at the stables the team members had cleaned up their horses and put them away. Treize had insisted that Joe sit down and rest his foot, he was more than capable of unsaddling, brushing down Goose and rugging the stallion up. Zechs took care of Duck, putting the mini pony safely into his stable and making sure the door was secure. Joe grumbled, but there wasn't much he could do about it. Someone managed to find an ice pack from somewhere and Joe was instructed to spend the afternoon resting with the ice pack on his ankle for twenty minutes and then off for thirty minutes, the cycle to be repeated at least three times.
 
Once all the horses and Joe were taken care of, there wasn't much else to do but sit around and wait for Noin to get back. Heero sat on an upturned bucket and decided he might as well clean his saddle and bridle while waiting. It would need to be cleaned for the competition anyway so he might as well do it now. Pretty soon the rest of the team members joined him, grooms and riders alike all saddle soaping leather or polishing metal bits. They had just finished cleaning their respective sets of gear and putting saddles and bridles back together when Noin appeared.
 
Immediately the woman was attacked by a barrage of questions. She fended them all off, telling the team she would speak with them once they'd cleaned up and put their gear away.
 
"Geeze, I wish I could get my surgery cleaned up that quick," muttered Duo as he observed the speed in which the area they had been using had been tidied.
 
"Good," Noin said as she made herself comfortable on someone's upturned feed bucket. The rest of the group gathered around her with expectant looks on their faces. Noin smiled. Time to put them out of their misery.
 
"The draw has been completed and you'll be pleased to know we aren't jumping first, neither are we last. The order for the countries will be..." Noin fished in her pocket and drew out her note book. "England, Italy, Sweden, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Germany and France."
 
"That's not too bad," Alex commented.
 
"At least we're around three-quarters the way down, that should give us a good idea of the other teams and how the course is riding," Zoe stated.
 
"Only problem I can see is that the German team rides after us," Treize said with a frown. "They're our biggest threat."
 
"Could be worse," Heero began. "At least the Kiwis are before us."
 
"Good point," Treize returned.
 
"Guess you will all have to give it everything you've got then, really give the German team something to chase," Duo said with a grin.
 
"That, Doctor Maxwell, will be something I'm looking forward to," Zoe said with a smile at the vet.
 
Noin watched the various faces and listened to the comments with amusement in her eyes. The team spirit was coming through; good. That was what she wanted. Once their chatter regarding the country draw had worn itself out, she cleared her throat again.
 
"I'm sure you all want to know what order you will be jumping in?"
 
The team members immediately fell silent and stared at their coach, waiting patiently for her to announce their order.
 
"Rider one will be Treize. Rider two; Zoe. Rider three; Heero. Rider four; Alex."
 
The buzz of chatter started again. Heero could quite understand why Noin had numbered them that way. It made sense to put the more experienced horses and riders first, that way they could let the less experienced know how the course was riding, what steps needed to be taken to insure a clear round and what jumps, if any, were awkward or giving problems.
 
Once everyone had finished discussing the individual draw, Noin addressed them again. "The cup competition is due to start at four. I expect you all to be saddled up, warmed up and ready to go by three-thirty. The course will be open for walking then and we will all walk it together. Any questions?"
 
Everyone shook their heads.
 
"Right. Your time is your own for now. I will see you all, immaculately turned out," Noin threw a firm look at them all, "in the collecting area at three thirty." With that, Noin left.
 
Heero felt the butterflies returning to his stomach and glanced at his watch. It was one now. Duo's hand on his arm drew him from his thoughts and he looked at his partner.
 
"Let's go grab a bite to eat and then I'll start getting Zero ready while you go get yourself all primped up."
 
Heero raised an eyebrow. "Primped?"
 
"Yeah, you know what I mean. Put all your fancy gear on, only make sure those jodhpurs aren't too revealing. I don't want people ogling what is mine." Duo added a wink for good measure.
 
Shaking his head, Heero followed his partner to the food vans. Primped indeed!
 
* * *
 
It was three-thirty and the Australian team all lined up ready for inspection. Noin passed over them all, checking that the gear was safe, fitting properly and clean. She smiled as she noted the edge of nervousness to them all. Even the horses seemed a bit fidgety. Standing back to appraise them as a team, she felt herself overcome with pride. Her heart swelled and a lump lodged in her throat. They all looked great and win lose or draw, she was proud of them.
 
The announcement came over the public address system telling the competitors that the Nations cup course was now open for walking.
 
"That's our cue, people. Hand your horses to your grooms, remember to have your whips, helmets, spurs and anything else you plan on carrying or wearing while jumping with you and let's go walk this course."
 
Heero handed Zero's reins to Duo, his legs feeling like jelly.
 
Sensing Heero's nervousness, Duo gave his lover a soft smile, one he kept especially for Heero. "You'll be fine, Heero. Go walk that course and then ride it with everything you have." Duo wished he could have given Heero a kiss or at least a hug.
 
Heero wished he could have had one too.
 
* * *
 
tbc.....