Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Verses From Your Song ❯ Pieces of the Picture ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Pieces of the Picture

Poetry: is mine

The verses marked **Are from a traditional Irish song "I know My Love" as performed by the Chieftains and The Corrs on the album Tears of Stone.

***************************************

All together it was just annoying and as her icy gaze swept across the four adults before her she wondered if her mentor ever had so much trouble. Her right fist was slightly clenched as she paced before them; finally she stopped at her desk and leaned against it for support. Her arms crossing her chest and again letting her glare do most of her talking. Only three of the four were affected by it, and only two seemed deeply ashamed as it brushed over them. Satisfied that the silence had worked its way in Une reached behind her picking up four black folders, each labeled: Transfer Request. She handed them out to each of the four, and upon finishing her task she leaned up against her desk again, a chilled voice ready to speak.

"Your requests", she paused staring down the dark-eyed young man who looked ready to interject with a string of protests. She continued when his expression softened, "Have all been denied."

There were two clear sighs of irritation.

"We are Preventors", Une stated coldly. "We have a duty to perform here, and if you think I'm going to cave in and let my four senior officers scatter to the wind you are very much mistaken. I need you all here at the head quarters, and", another pause to set her sour mood at the entire situation. "If you four can not work together I suggest you hand me your resignations now so I can find officers who are willing to act maturely. Do I make myself clear?"

The two women in the group nodded silently. The two men however remained as they were, their stares not appreciated by the woman who stood before them.

"Preventor Chang", Une perked a light brown eyebrow. "You have, maybe, a problem with my command?"

He looked away and through gritted teeth replied, "No ma'am."

"And you", she looked at the man with the ice blue nearly gray eyes and long platinum blonde hair. "Preventor Marquis...You have something to add?"

"Not a thing", he whispered.

"Good." She relaxed a bit, bringing her arms down to her side. "I've been exceptionally patient with this on going love square drama. I've refrained from making it my business, but you all had better find a way to work out your differences on your own time. One more little `accident' and I will hand you your walking papers myself. Now", she tried not to shout. "You are dismissed."

The four all began to exit. There was a bit of grumbling from the obviously infuriated young Chinese man, but it was silenced quickly enough. Une stood from her position and noticing the way the woman with the wheat brown-blonde colored braids lingered so she called out.

"Preventor Po?"

The woman spun around slowly.

"I want to talk to you, can you stay a moment?" Une tried to push the chill from her voice, and nearly succeeded.

The large office door shut and hazelnut eyes regarded soft and sad blue ones. Une brushed back her shoulder length brown hair and sat politely behind her desk, a bit of her own sadness washing over her at the situation.

"I would have granted your request"; she sighed. "Yours came in first Sal and I would have let you go...but..."

"I know", Sally's slightly husky tone graced the room softly. She looked at the floor and whispered, "I'm sorry to be causing so much trouble Une."

"Please", the lady huffed. "It isn't you that's the problem. And even Noin can't be blamed for this but...Honestly when it comes down to it the problem is between the four of you. And the four of you need to work it out. I don't want another day like yesterday."

The quiet and downtrodden woman shifted in her chair, uncomfortable with the memory.

"Sally?"

"Yes ma'am?" Her attention perked.

"I can make an exception for you if you like"' Une offered easily. "Not a permanent transfer but I could give you a mission that would require you to be a few hundred light years away."

"Why?" Sally was confused by the gesture; uncertain the price of such a gift would cost her.

The ex-colonel stood from her seat and walked closer to the aching Preventor, a gentle hand on her shoulder, "Because unlike the others I think you really need it. I think you could use a good long time away from those three. But if you want to fight it out here that's fine too. I'd give you my proper admiration for handling things so well. I just"; she paused trying not to get too personal. "I know when someone needs a little vacation."

Light blue eyes shut for a brief moment, and then Sally rose from the chair. "I'll consider it. Do you need me for anything else?"

"No, you are dismissed." Une watched with caution as the woman began her exit "Sally?"

She stopped keeping her back turned.

"Don't take too long to decide", was the gentle command.

Where does it end?
These fights
These feelings
When does it end?
It should all be fixed
It shouldn't be like this
No not like this
Everything should feel complete
So why am I still
Empty...
Hollow
So hollow...

The red head sipped at her mocha with glee, doing her best to keep her nose from digging into the whip cream. Her deep violet-blue eyes scanned the small little coffeehouse for her expected companion and she nearly burst from her seat when she saw the woman. She waved the tired looking woman over to her table, frowning upon recognizing the serious state of wear that hung over her guest. She sighed.

"My spring break is screwed isn't?" She asked forked eyebrows narrowing slightly. "What happened?"

"An engagement, and", she paused to make little quotations marks with her fingers (not something she would normally do, but the motion felt appropriate). "An `accident'."

"You know", the teenager breezed. "I could just raise an army and take care of them for you. " She recoiled at the sour look she received. "Just kidding...Kidding...ha ha." She sighed and shook her head. "You need a vacation more than I do."

"Yes I do", the older woman replied stiffly. "Mari?" Her tone spun into something softer, cold eyes melting into the warm.

"Yes Auntie?"

Une rolled her eyes at the pet name. It never really bothered her, but it was just an odd contrast to the rest of her nicknames and titles. She grinned mildly. "Didn't a few of your friends want to go away for the break? Where was it you were trying to talk me into letting you go a while back?"

Mariemea didn't trust the offer but she stated, "Um...they wanted to go to some beach in Mexico." Her eyes got wide as she rushed in, "And there will be plenty of supervision. Tons of parental type guidance and nothing too wild and crazy at all going-"

"Mari..." Her mood felt a million times lighter. "Please calm down. At the moment you're one of the few people in the world I'm inclined to trust. So you think you can still get a room and whatever else you need to go?"

The teen nodded her head wildly.

"Ok then...You can go, and your Spring Break is saved."

The over excited redhead nearly knocked the table over as she jumped up to hug her guardian, but then her excitement died as her concern took hold.

"What about you", Mariemea asked. "You need a vacation too."

"I may need one but it isn't going to be happening with the way things are at the office", Une confessed. "Don't worry about it."

The girl pushed back, her eyes a bit cold, reminding the older woman of someone she had known long ago.

"Never tell me not to worry about you", Marimea stated firmly. "You're all I have and the only person...The only..."

She was ready to cry. It wasn't fair. She hated looking so silly, and weak but Une...Une was the only constant her entire life through. After all the bad form the past was cleared away only Une remained to see the good parts. She was all the girl really remembered from the past. She woke in the hospital and sitting next to her squeezing her small hand was a graceful soldier who promised nothing bad would ever hurt her again. No harm would come to her, and she could have what no one else seemed to want for her...a normal life, a stable existence of homework, and friends, with no fear of being swept into a position of power that she was not ready for. No fear of losing her childhood to the darker things of life. And now she was older, becoming a fine young woman, and she could never claim to be the perfect daughter, but she tried. Just as she knew Une tried to be a perfect parent. The redhead sometimes imagined if she had known her father he would be just as Une was, gentle, graceful, elegant, just strict enough...and always, always loving.

She sniffed back the tears she didn't want to cry and stated, "I can stay home. I don't have to go away for vacation. We never really spend enough time together anyway."

Such a bold a caring gesture it was like to break her heart. She'd had moments like this before with this girl. She sighed and smiled, "Mari...I'll be fine. Really I'm sure I'll find something to keep work from driving me crazy."

The teenager sat back down in her seat, sipped from her drink and let a devious smile slide a cross her face.

"Something? Or someone", she asked coyly.

"Mari-"

"Wow...with me out of the house you and that girlfr-"

"She is not my girlfriend young lady"; the ex-colonel chided trying to fight her want to grin.

The now determined redhead shook her head. "Whatever", she huffed. "Denial is a deep river."

"Don't you have school work you need to do?" Une's eyes tried to wash cold but failed and the slightest of smirks graced the corner of her mouth.

No never again
Will I ever endeavor
Such a lonely state
Oh never again
Will I ride
Will I hide
No never, never again
And in my heart I'll carry her photo
And in my mind I'll carry her love
And for every vow I'd broken
Every word I've misspoken
I'll know...
No never, never again

His dark eyes barely recognized the woman, but when Wufei stopped he could see her clearly. She was nothing like how he was used to seeing her. Smiling, laughing, and chatting with a young redhead that he thought he should know as well. And while he was in no way senile, when the memory struck him he was amazed. There tucked into the bright bustle of the café were his boss and a child who almost took over the world. He did not linger near the window, nor did he venture inside. It was clear to him that he had come upon an unsuspecting moment and did not want to intrude.

He was heading for a pub that was just up the street, going for a bit of quiet observation and perhaps...if he was lucky...a friend would concede and meet him for a drink. The pub was dimly lit with faux gas lamps and made to look like something from colonial New England. Amidst the normal roar of drunken conversation a Celtic band played songs that at times reminded him of the past. He sat in a far unnoticeable corner watching the crowd with a voyeuristic eye. It was his vain attempt at learning to like people, to understand why some blindly danced through life without noticing what was around them. A puzzle of philosophy he enjoyed immensely. A lighthearted jig began and he shifted in his seat uncomfortable with the cheer. Sipping at his whisky sour he wondered why he had allowed his emotions to get the better of him. Was it love that caused him to react so violently towards the man he viewed as the soul source of his friend's misery? He shook his head. Through the din he heard his name being called, and glancing towards the front of the pub he saw her, violet eyes a little angry, perhaps defeated. He sniffed lightly as she moved towards him.

"I knew I'd find you here", Lucrezia Noin stated her voice neatly balanced.

Wufei shrugged slightly and took another sip from his drink, looking over at the people trying to dance.

She shook her head. "And I knew to expect a cold reception from you but we have to talk. This thing is getting way out of hand."

"Is it? Maybe this thing should never have been started." He still looked away. He had no want to talk to the selfishly weak pilot. Her weaknesses were infectious.

"Why do you insist that it's my fault?"

He shifted in his seat; a cold and calculating gaze burning into her. "Because it is your fault, your weak indecision is the cause of all our misery...His too", he sneered. "You are not just."

Noin narrowed her eyes. "You think it was my intention to hurt her? I didn't want to hurt her...What would you have me do?"

"I would that you never dared interrupt her life. I would", he looked at her, ice clear in his tone and eyes. "I would that you had never met. She has more right to the title of soldier than you do. She is brave, and while weak, still somehow manages to win. You...You give into your wants like most women do. You do not deserve her love."

Her smile was rueful and knowing and she tried not to speak through her teeth. "You're just a selfish little boy Wufei. You think the trouble you cause is going to fix anything", she was just below shouting. "She doesn't love you. Doesn't regard you as anything more than a close friend and why she even ventures that is beyond my reasoning."

It seemed impossible that it could be so but his eyes got just a little darker. "Then at least we agree on one thing", he whispered. "Your fiancée is no better than I am in all this...Why don't you go and chide him?"

She maintained her rage very well, for someone in her position. The boy across from her was correct but still there was no reason to bring it up... Was there?

"I've talked to him about his behavior too. And he at least can admit he was wrong."

"I can admit I was wrong as well...It wasn't appropriate to try and take his head off with a propeller at work...I obviously should have waited till after I was off the clock."

Wufei began to rise from his seat. He had no intention of dragging this conversation out any further. But she managed to reach over the table and push him back into his chair.

"I swear if you keep this up I'm gonna kill you."

"Bold words", he mused. "But you couldn't kill me ten years ago...What makes you think you could do it now? I'm not being villainous Ms. Noin. I'm merely watching out for the feelings of someone I care for...and you", he paused this time being allowed to stand. "You are hurting someone, intentionally or not, who has no real means of defense. It is not just...and if you doubt that...think on when and how you announced that little engagement of yours." He began to walk away, stopping only to glance over his shoulder and state, "I'll see you at the office."

**I know my love is an errant rover
I know he'll wander the wild world over
In dear old Ireland he'll no longer tarry
An American girl he's sure to marry
And still she cries
I love him the best
And a troubled mind sure can know no rest
And still she cries
Bonny boys are few
And if my love leaves me what will I do
What will I do**

As Une glanced out her office window she wondered if anything was ever going to calm down. There were a few tiny fires that needed taking care of, armies that, while minute, were still threatening the peace of the earth and the colonies. She deployed her best officers to take care of the problem, and as a special favor she allowed senior officer Sally Po to lead the mission. It would take the heartbroken woman far from the Earth and far from the trials and tribulations that the home front seemed to keep throwing at her. The sun was setting into a deep and heady red, her brown eyes lost in the play of color across the sky. From behind her she heard the door creak open just a bit. She caught her visitor's steely gaze reflected in the window and turned to greet him, military expression on her face. He looked as though he wanted to grin, but he refrained, instead sliding into the expressionless.

"You know most people knock on their commander's door before entering", Une breezed as she moved towards her desk.

His icy blue-gray eyes ran over her briefly, perhaps searching for a weakness to barter with. There was nothing.

"I apologize"; he said softly and took a seat, but only when she motioned for him to do so.

"You've been doing that an awful lot lately", the lady mentioned. "What can I do for you Zechs?"

His eyebrow sprang up at the question, as if he didn't think it was coming. "This little fire that needs putting out on L45 is it bigger than you think?"

She leaned forward at her desk, resting her elbows on the table. "No it is exactly as presented."

"Hn."

"I really dislike that noise", Une said her gaze growing ever more arctic. "You have a problem?"

"If this fire is so small why send Preventor Po to lead the mission. It seems like awfully small work for her caliber", he replied flatly.

"Does it? I sent her because I needed her to go. Anything else?"

The way her questions were stated felt like sharp pins being dug into him.

He crossed his legs; gaze still set in stone. "Playing favorites is not just."

She stifled her chuckle, and bemused smile as she replied, "You sound like Wufei. I'm not playing favorites. I have no favorites...Especially not among you four at the moment."

"So you claim, but I thought you were not going to transfer any of us?"

"It is not a transfer"; Une replied rocking back into her seat. "It's a mission nothing more. She has to return when it's over."

He shifted in his seat, and then moved his glance just slightly from the lady before him. "Une", his pause seemed purposefully placed. "I don't think it's very wise to let her lead that mission...I don't think it's w-"

"What you think is wise is hardly something I care to hear. Was it wise to get into a fistfight with a fellow officer? Was it wise to insight that `accident'? And tell me...Was it wise to let your emotional connections get in the way of your work here? Because to me, it all seems very unwise, in fact there are words to describe this entire situation that I will refrain from uttering. Your actions...and those of Noin, and Wufei are most unprofessional"; she paused to take a breath. Her tone was rising in volume. "And as for Sally...I include her in taking the blame only because she will not help to end all this. She lets it go on, as you do. Now is there anything else? I told you before Zechs I wanted nothing to do with this, but I will not have my officers trying to kill each other because of broken hearts and wounded pride, that would be unjust, and that would be playing favorites."

He seemed taken back by the rant and let a small grunt leave his lips. "I apologize for being such a bad example to the rest of the organization. If I give you my resignation now will you accept it?"

A weary and strangely enraged expression washed over her face. She sighed, and clenched her jaw, "Only if you tell me why you are leaving and it better be truthful."

"I would never dare to lie", Zechs stated. "I have been offered a position by my sister. It is sound and reasonable and", he looked up, appearing as if he was trying to hide a smirk. "I believe it will help to ease the tensions that have been forming around here."

Une's fingers drummed on the desk briefly, "I see. Make your request official and I'll allow it. Should I be expecting a similar request from Noin?"

"No."

He stood, and the solid answer held the ex-colonel firmly in her chair. He waited to be dismissed, so she did her best to stand.

"Before I let you leave", Une began trying not to choke on her words. "Speaking off the record and as an acquaintance...I hope you are not planning to do anything that will cause anyone further grief."

"I hope not", he replied, nearly a confession, perhaps a true wish. He let himself out of the office quickly and quietly.

Une collapsed back into her chair trying to catch her breath. Things were not going to settle as she wanted them to. Things were going to pull apart and never mend, it was almost certain. She brushed her brown hair from her eyes and walked over to her window again. Looked out at the black sky and wished for some kind of redemption. She shut her eyes for the briefest of moments, resting her head against the cool of the glass and she was not sure how long she stayed there.

It was the light kiss on her neck that made her open her eyes, not having even been aware of the young woman that had somehow managed to sneak in. The woman's reflection seemed ghostly, a light smile on beautifully pale face, deep blue eyes full of concern, and elegant arms wrapping around her in the slightest of ways. Une relaxed into those arms a bit more and let out a slow breath.

"Mari told me you'd been working awfully late the past few days", Dorothy purred. "I thought I'd come by and rescue you." Her lips graced the neck of her captive yet again and she reveled in the way the woman just melted into it. "I guess I got here just in time then."

Une turned to greet her visitor, eyes lost in a sea of want pulling the young woman closer, an embrace that seemed just short of desperate.

"You have no idea", she whispered, taking Dorothy's lips with gentle care.

She broke the kiss after a long while of needed affection, and attention.

"So...where are you going to take me so I can find salvation", the lady asked softly.

A feral grin slid across the young woman's lips. "Oh wouldn't you like to know. I'm afraid this rescue mission is strictly classified. So, if you will kindly fall in line we can begin."

A tired laugh slipped from Une's lips, the first bit of warmth she had allowed herself all day. She gathered her things quickly, shut down her computer and let her savior drag her out of the office. Smiling broadly as she passed a few of her subordinates in the hallway not caring what they thought or saw.

And in the end we have many fences left to mend
Many hearts still lost in time
Many things left to wander in rhyme
And as it goes far away
I've only this left to say
We shall find away to fix this broken thing
We shall find away to once again sing

Continued…