Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Verses From Your Song ❯ Burn Gold ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11: Burn Gold

Gundam Wing is not mine, I'm just borrowing some people.

Poetry is mostly mine. Lines and verses marked ** are from a Catatonia song called "Stone By Stone", verses and lines marked *** are from a Catatonia song called "Godspeed".

***************************

**And given half the chance
To turn the hands of time
I'm always the bridesmaid
Couldn't live with myself
If I tried to be the bride...**

She had survived as much of the ceremony as she could. She even sat through the part when it was asked if there was a reason why the two should not be joined in marriage. Mostly, she stayed to make sure Wufei didn't stand up and start ranting he had only been invited because he promised to behave. Sally trusted him to keep his word but something about the occasion made her need double assurance, as the time drew closer for final vows, that was when she had to leave.

With a deep breath she stood from her spot in the back and walked out side. She leaned against a wall and held a hand to her heart to keep it from leaping from her chest. It was torture, but she wanted to see her love happy. Suddenly an eruption of music marked the mass exodus from the chapel. Confetti was tossed into the air as the bride and groom made their escape to the white Rolls Royce that was serving as get the away car. Her light blue eyes caught happy violet and she forced a smile of approval. She wondered if she could make it through the entire reception. It didn't matter she had to try.

"You going to make it," his low voice intruded slightly.

She glanced over at Wufei and shrugged, "We'll see. Shouldn't you make your way to the reception?"


"We should, but technically the reception starts in a hour and it only takes..." He trailed off and shook his head, "I'll meet you at the reception Sally. Don't wander for too long."

As he left he gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze, admiring her strength. If it had been him, he would have caused a scene, or wouldn't have accepted the invitation. He loosed his tie as he slowly made way to his car; checking only once, on the woman he would never have as his own, as he left.

**Where it burned orange
Let it burn gold...**
But her emotions have all been sold
And she says it's all fine
And she says it's all healed by time
But I know better
'Cos I saw it all
***Saw the writing on the wall
Feel sad and blue...***
But you see...there's little left to do

She wasn't praying. She never did really, not to that god at least... not to any deity, because none seemed to ever hear her. She was just thinking, and perhaps too much. It was all set now. Noin and Zechs would have their happy ending. A storybook wedding followed by a storybook life and it made her stomach churn. Not just because she was hurt, but because she was content to see her love happy. It felt like such a sickness.

"I'll be happy if you are happy," she muttered, "I can throw away my heart if you are happy. And I hate you Luca...Hate you for being so happy without me."

There were no tears left to cry and she wouldn't dare weep on such a day. Eyes shut Sally Po tried to pull her self together, tried to gather enough of her shattered heart to walk over to the reception and feign joy in the occasion. And she was getting close when distraction wrapped around her neck.

"I saw the coast was clear," a small and diplomatic voice whispered, "You don't mind me so near...do you?"

**With more and more
You know it won't take long
Where it burned orange
Let it burn gold**
And let it burn bright
And deep
Let it sink in
And take
Won't you take?
And with this flame
Destroy

She shrugged away from the distraction coldly. Noticed the effect it had on the girl and wanted to laugh.

"I don't want your destruction," Sally whispered, "I'm toppled enough don't you think?"

The fallen princess huffed, a slight sneer on her face, "Toppled? Interesting way to think, whatever happened to being of service?"

"Not today Relena. I don't want it." She rose from her seat and tried to avoid making eye contact with the girl. She failed. "Don't you think it's bad form to be searching on your brother's wedding day?"

"I think it's bad form to crush a heart and expect her to act like she's still whole," the girl replied.

She didn't let the comment induce a response, but if the girl wanted to know what it was to be broken the Preventor would show her, in due time she would show her. With a deep breath she left the chapel, knowing she was being followed but ignoring the advance, padding along in the all too perfect sun, newly polished boots picking up the shine. Increasing her speed as the girl got closer keeping herself just out of reach at all times. And it was only the beginning.

***Goodbye Godspeed
I can't give you what you need
If I've sounded distant thus far
It's 'cos I'm as lost as you are...***

The reception was as most receptions were, joyous, cheerful, vacuous, inane, trite, unrelenting and duller than they needed to be. There were traditional things that he just couldn't get into or understand. He sat through it all though mimicked joy and even got up the nerve to dance with the bride once. Noin looked wary but eased into it as they went along. And he watched with some interest as Sally danced with the groom, and then the bride.

She swung back by the table and sat with a strange smile.

"What's going on," Wufei asked with concern.

"Nothing important," she replied and glanced over her shoulder.

He turned to see what could be so fascinating and there to his horror was the princess. "Sally?"

"I don't want a lecture," she replied softly, almost sternly. "Mind your own business."

"Not going to be easy...You shouldn't use her as filler for what you lost."

"I'm not."

"Then wh-"

"Wufei," her commanding tone struck him dumb, "do not concern yourself with it. I will not let her hurt me. And I will not hurt her...much."

"Fine...but I'm warning you Sal...She's dangerous." He looked away focusing on the happy couple.

"How many hearts does the princess have under her sleeve," she asked, guessing that her friend would have all the answers.

His dark eyes met hers a deep contrast from the overly bright mood that was continuing around them. He shook his head, regretting his knowledge.

"Enough. I'd love to give you the list but I respect their privacy. She's worse than just a lost and lonely princess," he paused and then smirked, "she's every hero's downfall, because she is weakness itself."

The older Preventor considered the warning. It was fair and accurate, but it didn't matter. She could save herself from the girl. She could escape without getting burned, because she was already little less than ashes.

**Where it burned orange
Let it burn gold...**
And to this claim I will hold
Nothing burns brighter
Than this dark fire
And what it will consume
We've only but to see
All for the sake of devouring me

The room was dark, not a single drop of light intruding from anywhere outside. Her eyes bit through the darkness to watch the slender silhouette in her arms take in a breath, release a breath, and dream. Wondered why it felt so strange and so terribly right. Things were not as she was used to them being because the woman in her arms did not love her...did not want to save her, or hurt her. The woman in her arms wanted only to forget a broken heart, and release all she felt in the arms of someone totally insignificant to her. Relena didn't mind it at first; after all she had done the same before. The woman in her arms didn't mind being called on when it was convenient, or left in the morning... And it was odd for her because suddenly Relena did mind.

Suddenly Relena didn't want to be left when mornings first light was felt, didn't want to be called on when it was convenient. She wanted the woman in her arms to stay there and it began to hurt. That unintentional hurt buried into her and she couldn't confess it. Confessing anything would ruin it all. She had taken too much care in getting the Preventor into her arms in the first place, and had taken too much care in arranging the whole of it to ruin the play, the game (it was less and less a game to her) with something as silly as confessing.

The woman began to stir slightly, light blue eyes fluttering open, sleepy and soft lips claiming the princess. And the girl felt her heart race in a way she knew it shouldn't, felt her mind lose all thought. What was she doing? How could she even dare those feelings? It wasn't safe, and she felt the burn.

And I am burning gold
Burning rich and worthless
Turning to melted mass
Praying to be driven into ash
And do you know
And will you continue
To burn gold
Set it to liquid
Deep into cinders
Leaving me hotter
So I can cool into something new
So I can maybe
Be poured into you

Continued…