Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Verses From Your Song ❯ Dinner for Two ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 12: Dinner for Two

Gundam Wing isn't mine just borrowing.

Poetry is mine.

**The Corrs "No More Cry"

***Sara Brightman "No one Like You"

Brief Spanish lesson:
Tia=Aunt
Novia= girlfriend or fiancé/bride
Chica= girl
Bonita= beautiful
Dos= two
Mas= more

Sangria is an alcoholic drink made with blood oranges and wine...very good and sweet and tasty. Tamale is a dish that can vary depending on family recipe. My grandmother's is basically made with a corn masa or dough, shredded pork and a chili sauce that is to die for. Go out and find a Mexican restaurant and order some. It's sooo good. Mija (pronounce me ha) is an endearing term meaning my dear, or my love. Something mothers, grandmothers, aunts and uncles use for children...but it sticks for life. The poem in Spanish is of my own making...It may be my heritage but I don't speak it fluently so the grammar might not be right on. Thank you, Spanish to English dictionaries.

********************************************

By no means could she ever claim to be a shy person, and in no way could one ever say she was the quiet type. But as she stood there next Une in the tiny hole in the wall Mexican restaurant, listening to the owner rattle on and on in a language she didn't understand and hug her girlfriend she finally understood what shyness was. The owner of the establishment was a short dark skinned woman, wrinkles covering her face, white hair and small circular spectacles reminding Dorothy of an antique apple doll she had once seen. The goddess could tell by inflection only that Une was trying to keep things short, but was failing. Suddenly the owner looked past Une's arm and stopped talking.

"Ay dios mio... Where are my manners," the woman's heavy accent rang like an ancient bell, "Lyta, who is this?"

Dorothy quirked an eyebrow at the newly found nickname and tried not to chuckle.


"This is Dorothy Catalonia," Une began nervously, "Dorothy this is Tia Andrea Saldana-"

"Oh forget the Saldana part. Please call me Tia Andrea or just Tia," the woman cheerfully cut in.

"A pleasure," the blonde stuck out her hand and politely greeted the woman.

The older woman chuckled lightly, "So refined... Eh Lyta? Ella es tu novia, no? The one Mari has such good things to say about."

The blush on Une's face was adorable to witness.

"Um...Yes she is."

Tia Andrea nudged Dorothy with her elbow and winked, "You have an interesting effect on her. I've never seen her like this at all." Then she laughed loudly and said, "Okay mija I'll stop embarrassing you. Take whatever table you like and remember tonight we have dancing. Since you have such a chica bonita at your side tonight you have no excuses. You better stay and dance."

"I promise we'll stay for a dance."

Then the lady smiled and escorted the goddess to a far corner table, swiping two menus from the front as fast as she could. The devilish smirk on Dorothy's face would not rescind, and as she sat down Une could see the millions of questions that were waiting for her.

"So?"

"So um..." She sighed. "If there was anyone on the planet who could make me feel like a little girl it would be Tia Andrea."

Deep blue eyes warmed at the thought. It was just too precious seeing someone like Une act nervous. "You know you're going to have to do some translating for me?"

"I know. Mari and I have been coming here for about ten years. It was the only place that was quiet enough after everything had happened. And as you can see we quickly became like family. Not much else to say."

The goddess chuckled, "I see. You speak Spanish very well...I mean I knew you could sing it but..."

"Well my mother was from Bolivia and she made sure I learned as many languages as possible before I entered the academy. We should order soon...The place gets busy on dance nights."

Tu es mi corazón
Mi alma
Todo que necesito
La canción de a que solamente oiga
Que danza de a solamente puedo trasladarme
A todo mi amante es el tuyo

They went over the menu together and Une ordered for them. Dorothy enjoyed the experience and proceeded with her questions. She was surprised with most of the answers. The lady gave up pieces of her past that the goddess was sure no one was privilege to. She delighted in the older woman talking about her mother and how being part of the aristocracy had been over whelming. When the food arrived there was a quick cry for water and 'dos sangrias mas'.

"Too hot," Une asked softly and then took a bite of her tamale.

"No," teary blue eyes stated. "I just accidentally bit into nothing but peppers. So, do you take all your flames here?" The play waiting in her tone was cut dramatically short.

"No."

"Really?"

The lady shook her head and then sighed, "This place has sort of become sacred ground for Mari and I, we used to eat here nearly every night but...well I got a little busier and she got older. It's our place, and I never imagined I would have cause to bring someone here."

She was almost lost for words. "Thank you for trusting me enough to bring me then."

Hazelnut colored eyes warmed at the comment. "It isn't about trust Dorothy...You are my heart, my love. If it was just trust I felt in my bones we wouldn't be eating here tonight."

Something about the bold statement made Dorothy want to ask a stupid question to sabotage her luck. She brushed it off though. She'd made a similar mistake before and she wouldn't lose herself to something so trite ever again.

A slow crowd began to form and within minutes the quiet place was a buzz with conversation and laughter. Soon it was time for dancing and a few tables were cleared to make room for anyone who wanted to dance. The music picked up slight and slow, Une smiled.

"Would you like to dance," the lady asked.

"I'd love to."

You are rose in the garden of my heart
A soft and lovely thing
That only I can see
And what if none of it is real
Will I wake up
Is this nothing but a dream

The tango is a slow and intricate dance that takes deep concentration to perform. It moves in a way that is intimate yet distant and much to Catherine Bloom's surprise the handsome young man who led her around the dance floor was a near expert at it. The music swelled to a close and she spun out of his grip, bemused smirk on his face. She slid back over to him with a smile.

"Having a good time," Duo asked politely as he led the way back to their table.

"I never knew you were such an accomplished dancer," Cathy mentioned.

"Oh I'm not," he confessed slyly, "I'm terrible...in fact if my instructor were here she'd tell you everything I did wrong down to the last step."

"Really, who was your instructor?"

"The ever impatient Goddess Catalonia."

"Hmmm...A goddess huh? Do I have competition to worry about," the red head asked with a smile, but deep inside it was a concern.

He chuckled and shook his head, "I swear you have nothing to worry about. Goddesses tend to look down their noses at Pucks such as me."

"Hmmm."

"Unconvinced?" the impish young man leapt from his seat and stood on the table shouting, "I HAVE NEVER WANTED TO DATE A GODDESS!!!! THEY ARE OVER RATED!" He jumped back down and looked Catherine deep in the eyes, "And their beauty is nothing to that of yours Ms. Bloom."

Her hand was covering her mouth, either trying to keep her horror at bay or to keep from laughing, perhaps it was both.

"What am I gonna do with you," she whispered.

He shrugged, "I dunno...Maybe fall head over heels for me. Maybe run screaming from my side...hard to tell."

She grinned. "Well Duo I haven't run yet...and as for the other," she paused to keep herself from telling the whole truth, "we'll see. We'll see."

**I wanna feel just like before
Before the rain came to my door
Shook me up turned me around
Made me cry till I would drown
Stole the daylight, brought the night
So much anger I would fight
Lost my youth amidst the blue
Saw all the loneliness in you
Wanna help you give you love
Shine some light up from the mud
Fill the empty find a rhyme
A brighter day a better time
But I'm wondering where I'm gone
Can't find the truth within my song
All I have I'll give to you
To let you know your not alone**

She saw it clearly in the girl's eyes, bright and burning like an uncontrolled fire as she planted the kiss. This was going to be it for them. This night was going to end everything because despite herself she could not be cruel. The moment broke and the girl looked lost without the contact.

"We can't keep this up," Sally whispered.

"Why not?"

"Because you're breaking the rules."

"I...I'm not...I'm..." She couldn't find a thing to say. "I didn't mean to."

"Doesn't matter," the older woman whispered, "I told you from the beginning...it has to stop once things get too emotional. So what is it exactly? Jealousy? What's making you break the rules?" She really didn't have to ask. She knew, felt it in the way the girl held her, the way her kisses liked to linger. Too much silence prompted her to answer the question herself, "Don't fall in love with me princess...You know nothing about me."

She sniffed back a tear, her anger clear, "Fine. Then it ends."

"I'll go." The tug on the Preventor's sleeve should have served as a warning. It did not; it just pulled her closer.

"Wait till morning," the girl pleaded. "Please."

"In the morning then," Sally replied and she took the girl's mouth, pulling away to look deep into her eyes and say, "I do not love you, and one night will never change that."

The older woman wasn't sure whom she was convincing, but it had to be said.

*** In your arms there's a comfort that I never knew
You're what I've been waiting for there's no one like you***

Tia Andrea was bustling about putting chairs on tables and telling the rest of her staff to help her with the cleaning. She shot Une look when she offered to help with things, so the lady merely took her seat and continued with the conversation she was having.

They had danced the night through, which was something that was becoming a habit. Dorothy claimed it was because that was how they officially met, but it was something deeper than that. On the dance floor there were no words just movement and trust that one's partner would be there. The comfort of a safe embrace that was always waiting no matter how far out you decided to spin. But another habit was formed; they tended to shut places down, talking with each other till everything was closing. A few restaurants nearly had to kick them out on occasion, but it never got that bad. They had survived a tremendous amount thus far, a disabling fight, a teenager's birthday, an ex's intrusion, and ghosts from the past. The lady wondered if anything else would come their way, but she found she really didn't care. Nothing had proven big enough or strong enough to pull her from the goddess's side, and vice versa.

A slight look of distance caught the platinum blonde's attention. "What are you thinking of?"

"What you said at Mari's birthday," she began, "I was thinking...well...I was thinking-"

"For God's sake Mija just give her the ring," a jovial shout interrupted from the kitchen.

A forked eyebrow perked followed by a delighted grin. "What ring?"

The ex-colonel reached into her pocket and replied, "This ring."

The band was simple, white gold, no diamonds just a single and delicate fire opal held out nervously and awaiting acceptance.

"It isn't much," Une whispered, "but it belonged to uh...my mother and I-"

"Hippolyta Josephine Une do be quiet and come here," the goddess beckoned with a soft smile.

The lady rose from her seat and inched over to young woman.

Stormy blue eyes took in the swell of emotion buried within cool light brown. She held out her left hand and let the lady slide the ring on, rising to take her lady's lips. To whisper a 'yes' or anything, but words seemed wrong for the moment. Words seemed too dark and heavy for such a light moment, and she would have given everything to live that moment over and over.

"I suppose that would be a definite yes," Une whispered.

"My, aren't you astute," the goddess quipped. She giggled a bit and followed with, "We'll never be able to live it down now."

"What?"

"Duo was right...for once. He mentioned something at Heero and Hilde's party. You don't mind having to hear him say that he was right over and over again do you?"

"I won't mind...I've never been so happy that he was right...for once."

"Here's to forever then love," Dorothy whispered.

"Here's to forever."

Continued…