Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Yaoi Challenge Reply: You've Got A Friend in Me ❯ Part One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The main fic is four parts but there's a side story that's two parts long (It's titled: You've Got A Friend in Me: A Side Story) I hope you enjoy this! I love y'all!

Nikki :-P

~()~

Title: You've Got A Friend In Me

Author: Nikki or Nataku's Child (of FanFiction.net)

Archive: Anywhere is fine! Just tell me where ya are!

Pairings: eventually 2+3, 1x5, 4xR, mentioned 2+5 and 3+4

Rating: PG-13 this is soooo being on the safe side! Really should be PG but oh well.

Genre: I really can't keep to these! This has Romance, Humor, and a lil' angst (in this part)

Time: this is set after Endless Waltz

Key:

~~~ Scene change or break

(Point of view) like: (Duo) would be Duo's POV

-POV comment-

Like if Duo said: it took a while -I got lost- <-POV comment if the scene is in third person it's just a comment by well...the third person.

*Thoughts*

Warnings: shounen-ai, yaoi implications, drunkenness, het, little bits of Heero bashing (I like Heero! But the boy has made mistakes), no Relena bashing (::sob::), Wufei being a bastard (sorry I had to do that 'fei!).

Disclaimer: I'm borrowing the title from the song by Randy Newman, though this isn't a songfic. I don't own Gundam Wing or any of it's oh so interesting characters. Don't sue me, half the time I'm broke.

You've Got A Friend In Me

Part One

By Nikki :-P

~I~ Chapter One ~I~

A shadowed figure walks in to a smoke filled bar and sits on a stool up front with a sigh.

"What'll it be?" asked the bartender.

"Something strong, I don't care what. I need...something," the man said. [1]

The bartender nodded. While he was getting the drink the other man looked around. There weren't many people there, which wasn't odd seeing that it wasn't the cleanest looking place. After examining the bar he started play with the end of his long braid of chestnut brown hair.

"That's quit a collection of hair you got there," said the bartender setting a small glass in front of him.

Duo smiled. "My pride and joy," he said patting it lovingly.

He sighed and picked up his glass. It smelled vile and tasted worse, but it did the trick. He sighed again and put it down.

"Hard day?" asked the bartender.

Duo laughed bitterly. "Hard life. But yeah, especially hard day." He finished his drink with another gulp. "Give me another."

The bartender nodded and filled his glass. "Why don't you start at the beginning?"

Duo nodded and accepted the glass. "Beginning? You want to hear my story? Sure why not, I could use some sympathy right now. I was a war orphan; I don't even remember my parents. I finally found a home and people who loved me, but the war took them too, they were killed...scratch that, murdered, and I was alone again."

He swallowed more of the dark liquid and continued, "Then I became a..." he paused for a second. "Soldier. Fought until the end of both wars, and fell in love..." He finished his drink and nodded to the bartender to give him more.

"Ah, so love is the problem?" the bartender asked.

Duo nodded. "One of many. You know how many siblings I have?"

The alcohol was taking effect; his thinking was jumping from one topic to another.

The bartender looked confused. "I thought you said you were an orphan."

Duo nodded. "'Long lost siblings' I mean. Any idiot who thinks they can pilot a mobile suit and has a remote resemblance to me insists that I'm their brother, cousin, father!" he sighed. "I've had so much blood taken I don't think I have much left. I feel like a pin cushion." He laughed a little at his own joke.

The bartended shook his head. "And today?"

Duo sighed and rubbed the side of his face. "Today? Today was harder then the rest put together. You know how I said I fell in love?" when the bartended nodded he continued. "Well, I told him."

As the bartender refilled Duo's glass he asked, "So I guess it didn't go to well?"

Duo shook his head. "I'd say. I was so stupid! You know how I told 'im? I kissed him! I said, 'Wufei? I want you to know that, I love you' and I went right up and full on kissed him."

Duo took a swig while the bartender asked, "how did he react?"

"Well first he said: 'Here's some advice, never...I mean never do that ever again!' then he socked me in the stomach. While I was on the floor trying to catch my breath, he said he and Heero had been sleeping together since the end of the 'OZ/White Fang' war. So the man I loved was sleeping with my best friend, who by the way, hates me now for hitting on his boyfriend, and I didn't know that he was in the first place! And I'm drunk." He was looking at his empty glass when he spoke the last few words.

The bartender shook his head. "I see. You're right, that is hard. Another?"

Duo nodded. "Tell me about it."

After a few more drinks the door opened. Duo recognized the man that walked in.

The brown haired, green eyed man sat next to him, asking, "you too?"

Duo nodded solemnly. "Quatre?"

Trowa nodded. "I'll have what he's having," he said to the bartender.

"You two know each other?" the bartender asked.

They both nodded.

The bartender shook his head. "Small world."

Duo shook his head. "Not really, we're all good friends. Besides, we're close so we can mooch off of Relena." [2]

Trowa tensed at her name and he took a swig of his drink, Duo didn't notice.

"So what happened?" Duo asked.

Trowa shook his head. "I finally got up the nerve to tell him. I went to his house and found him...in a robe."

Duo looked a little confused. "And?"

"He was...busy."

Duo lifted an eyebrow.

Trowa continued: "it seemed he had a guest..." He took a drink. "He'd been in bed..." Another swig. "With Relena." He topped of his glass and nodded to the bartender to give him another.

Duo's mouth hung open in shock, "Quatre and Relena? I thought for sure he was..."

Trowa nodded. "So did I."

Duo let it sink in for a while. "That would explain a few things," he concluded.

Trowa's face was seamlessly unemotional. He just nodded. After a while he turned to Duo. "Who was it? Heero?"

Duo laughed. "No, I was so sure he was straight. Wufei."

Trowa looked at the braided ex-pilot. "Really? I always thought you and Heero..."

Duo laughed. "Naw, not my type. But..." He took a big gulp of his drink and laughed. "I guess he's perfect for Wufei!"

Trowa's eyes widened. The alcohol was now working on him too. "You mean..." he said.

Duo nodded. "For a while now."

They stayed silent for a while, brooding over they're mistakes.

Finally Duo spoke up. "You know what? To hell with them! We don't need them! Here..." He raised his glass and stood up. "This is to the bastards who wouldn't know love if it smacked them in the back of the head!"

Trowa smirked bitterly and they touched glasses before finishing them off. Duo put his glass down and blinked a few times, not sitting down.

Trowa looked at him worriedly. "Duo, are you ok?"

Duo swayed a little but didn't answer; the room was spinning too fast.

"You're really drunk aren't you?"

Duo looked at him and blinked a few times before answering. "It seems so..." he fell to the floor, not so gracefully.

Trowa sighed and paid their tab. He walked over, picked up the braided drunk and walked out to call a cab.

~II~ Chapter Two ~II

(Duo)

I woke up the next morning with a splitting headache and no memory of the night before.

"Ugh," was all I could get out.

I looked at the clock: noon. That earned another "ugh."

Getting out of bed I noticed with mild interest that I still had my cloths on and that it was my apartment.

*That's a good sign.*

I got up and went in to the bathroom, slowly.

One more "ugh" when I saw my reflection.

I looked terrible; my braid had come almost completely undone, my face was red on one side, my eyes were blood shot, and my cloths were twisted and rumpled.

Suddenly I vaguely remembered Trowa and a bar...

I groaned, thinking made my head hurt.

*At least I don't have to go to work,* I thought with a half-hearted smile. *Mooching is good.*

I was turning to go take a shower when something caught my eye. My eyes widened as I ran back to the mirror.

"How the heck did I end up with gum in my hair?!" I yelled.

There was a sticky green blob of gum about six inches from the bottom. Tears started forming in my eyes.

"No..." I sighed shakily and frowned. "I'll have to...to..." I couldn't bring myself to say it.

I closed my eyes. "It will grow back," I told myself firmly. "It. Will. Grow. Back."

~~~

(Trowa)

"Trowa!" I could hear Cathy knocking outside my trailer.

*Please just go away,* I silently begged.

The last day and night had been bad, really bad. I had changed a little of the story around when I told Duo about the day before.

//Flashback//

I waited nervously in the entry of the Winner mansion.

*Quatre, I love you...Quatre, you were my first true friend, but now I want to be more then just friends, I love you* I closed my eyes. I was leaning on the wall, trying to think of what to say.

"Trowa?"

I opened my eyes to see Quatre, his cheeks were red and he seemed breathless.

"What wrong?" he asked, his voice concerned.

I guess he noticed me staring at him. I didn't lie when I said that all he had on was a robe.

I shook my head slowly. "Nothing. I just needed to talk to you."

He bit his lip. "Oh, I'm kinda...busy. Does it have to be now?"

"Uh..."

*Yes! Before you lose your nerve!*

I was about to open my mouth when...

"Quatre?" a familiar voice called.

Quatre looked nervous. "I-I'm in here!"

Relena came running down the staircase in nothing but her underwear and Quatre's shirt.

She stopped when she saw me. "Oh, hi Trowa..."

She looked nervously from Quatre to me.

I felt numb, not caring anymore. If Quatre hadn't spoken up I'd have just walked out then.

"Look Trowa, I can explain..."

"No," I cut him off. "It's fine. I'm happy you found someone Quatre."

I walked out, not caring that Quatre was calling after me.

"Stop! Trowa come back! Trowa!"

//End Flashback//

(Still Trowa)

"Trowa! Come on! We have to get the act down before two and it's noon! Can you here me?" she kept pounding on the door.

"I'm taking the day off!" I called back.

She stopped. "Trowa are you ok?" she asked worriedly.

"I'm fine. I just need a break. Don't worry Cathy." The last thing I wanted is to have her worry.

"Alright. Eat something, alright Trowa? I don't want you going hungry. You want me to make you something? You're just skin and bones. You want some soup?"

"I'm fine. There's food in here. Thank you Cathy."

She paused for a moment. "S-sure Trowa." I heard her walk away.

I sighed and tried to go back to sleep.

I gave up after a half hour, reluctantly getting to my feet. My stomach growled. I tried to remember the last time I'd eaten. I shrugged and walked over to the fridge. I sighed. Nothing much, mostly leftover take-out. I grabbed everything edible and threw it in the microwave.

When it was done I stared at my plate.

So maybe throwing everything together wasn't the best idea.

~~~

"Hold still!" Hilde tried to hold down a squirming Duo. She delicately started snipping around the gum. Duo flinched every time she cut, and hadn't stopped whimpering since she got there. "I'm not cutting that much anyway!"

"But it hurts..." he said quietly.

"Don't be silly, it does not hurt! You're acting like a kid! Man, you'd think you never had a hair cut before," she said, shaking her head.

Duo twirled his thumbs. "Well you see I kinda...haven't."

"What?!" she almost dropped the scissors.

"That's why I wanted you to do it!" he looked up at her smiling, adding in a small voice: "you know, you're my best friend."

She smiled back him. Laughing lightly, she pushed his head forward. "I know. Come on lets get this over with."

He bit his lip and nodded, closing his eyes as tight as possible.

~~~

(Duo)

Clutching my freshly cut braid I waved to Hilde. "Bye Hilde! Thanks again!"

When she had gone I went back inside and sat at my table. I was contemplating just how long it would take me to grow it back when the vid-phone rang. I walked over to it but waited to see who it was.

After a few rings Quatre's voice came through the line. "Hey Duo? It's Quatre. Pick up if you're home!"

My finger went to the button but paused as I remembered Trowa.

*The poor guy's heartbroken.*

"Duo?"

*Stay strong! It's just Quatre.*

"Come on Duo, if you're home pick up!" he said cheerfully.

*Why is it so hard to stay mad at him?*

I pushed the button and Quatre's smiling face showed up on the screen.

"Yeah, I'm here." I still tried to keep unfriendly.

"Oh, Duo good! I'm glade I caught you. How are you?"

"Mad! You know what? I had to cut my baby! I got gum on it and had to cut a whole foot off! Okay it was more like a few inches, but still! It hurt!" I pouted slightly.

*Damn, this is getting way to automatic* All of that was done without a second thought.

"Oh I'm sorry about that Duo. You all right?"

I inwardly sighed. *He's just too nice, that's it. How can he be so sympathetic? It's just a braid...I'm so sorry pookie! I'll never talk like that again!* I patted my braid without thinking about it.

Quatre took this the wrong way. "I guess not. Hey I'm having a bit of a get together for Thanksgiving, nothing special but it might make you feel better! Can you come?" he looked at me, silently begging.

*Oh man! What's with him and the eyes?*

"Yeah, I think so. Can Hilde come?" I asked.

He nodded quickly. "Of course! The more the merrier! I was gonna ask anyway." His smile faded a little. "Have you talked to Trowa? I tried calling, but I guess he's out."

"Hmm that's odd. I haven't talked to him today."

He looked worried.

*Serves you right! Hurting Trowa like that!* I thought bitterly.

"Oh. Well, if you see him can you tell him? T-tell him I'd really like him to come, please." he was playing with his vest nervously.

"Sure, if I see him."

He smiled with relief. "Thanks Duo. So I'll see you then?"

"Yeah."

He smiled even bigger. "Till then!"

I hung up with Quatre and immediately called Trowa. It rang a couple of times before the answering machine picked up.

"Pick up Trowa, it's Duo. I know you're there, you didn't drink as much as I did but you still must feel like shit, there's no way you're out."

Trowa's face flicked onscreen. "Hello Duo."

I was right; he looked tired and a little green.

"Trowa, buddy, take a shower man you look terrible."

Trowa's mouth twitched, as close to a smile as I would get. "Thanks for the concern. Did you get the gum out of your hair?"

"Yeah. How did I get it anyway?"

Another twitch. "You passed out on the bar floor, right on the gum."

I rubbed the back of my head. "Explains a few things, the splitting headache for one."

Trowa shook his head. "Not really, I have one too. What did you need?"

I laughed. "Well for one I needed to check to make sure you were okay, I felt bad this morning and wasn't sure how you held up."

"You're right, I didn't have as much as you. But..." he looked to his side. "I just ate something that probably wasn't smart, but I don't want to think about it right now." he turned a darker shade of green.

I laughed. "I've had that. Anyway I have some bad news."

He looked up at me worriedly so I shook my head.

"No one's hurt or anything it's just...Well, we're going to Quatre's for Thanksgiving!" I decided halfway through to make it sound like a good thing.

Trowa shook his head. "We? I'm not going."

"Oh yes you are. Everyone's going to be there. I already promised I'd be there, and I'm not going without you. Rather you like it or not, we're in this together now."

"Duo, you don't understand. I can't go. I'm not going"

"No, you don't understand, your going. Heero and...Wufei are going to be there. I need someone to talk to."

"Duo-"

"See ya there!" I cut him off.

"Duo!"

I clicked off the screen. *You better be there.*

~III~ Chapter Three ~III~

"I don't see why we're going," Heero complained for the millionth time.

"Because I said we would," Wufei answered for the millionth time.

Wufei was driving and Heero was next to him with his arms crossed.

"If Relena hits on me one more time I swear..."

"You're going to kill her?" Wufei finished, smirking.

"Are you mocking me? I could do it."

"Of course," Wufei said, keeping his smug expression.

"Shut up Chang."

"Or what? You'll kill me?" he said, bursting out laughing.

"I said: shut up."

"Make me."

~Twenty minutes later~

"I'm really sorry officer," Wufei apologized again.

"Well you aren't drunk and your eyesight's fine, how did you miss the tree?" he asked, indicating the car, which was off road and jammed into a very large oak tree.

Wufei looked at Heero accusingly and said pointedly: "The sun must have been in my eyes."

After a full lecture on the importance of sunglasses while driving and a ticket the officer left. They walked back to the car. It hadn't been damaged too badly; it was at least drivable, though the tree left a nice sized dent.

"You're going to pay for that, Yuy," Wufei growled.

"Gladly," he replied calmly.

"I meant the car."

"Of course."

Wufei glared at him. "How can you be so calm?! It's your fault"

"You're the one who insisted on my making you shut up." Heero smirked.

"I swear Yuy..." he said, getting in and closing the door. A smirk crossed his face as he buckled in and started the car. "I will kill you," he hit the gas before he got an answer.

~~~

(Trowa)

"Come on Trowa!" I could hear Duo yelling and honking his horn.

I sighed. *I can't believe I'm doing this.*

I packed the rest of my stuff and zipped up my bag.

Cathy was outside waiting to see me off.

"Are you sure you don't want to come Cathy? It should be...interesting," I asked.

Cathy shook her head. "No. You go have fun with your friends. I'll stay here, someone has to feed the animals while you're gone."

I nodded. "Have a good thanksgiving then." Kissing her on the cheek I ran towards Duo's car.

"Have fun kid! Don't go do anything I wouldn't do!" she called after me.

When I reached the car, Duo smiled broadly at me. "Trowa! Buddy! You decided to come! Sorry, Hilde called shotgun so you got back till the next stop."

Hilde smiled at me as I hopped in to the back of Duo's convertible.

"Hello Hilde. You owe me for this Duo."

Duo chuckled. "I'll make it up to you. You like red vines?" He asked throwing back a pack and driving as fast as he could out of the circus parking lot.

~~~

"Maybe I should have told them first..." Quatre said nervously, playing with Relena's braids.

"Calm down, it will be just fine. Besides, you wanted it to be a surprise," Relena said, trying to calm him down.

Quatre nodded. "Yeah, but I feel so badly about how Trowa found out. It's just..."

"Shh." Relena sat up from where they were cuddling on the couch. She placed his head in her lap, and stroking his hair and looking down at him lovingly. "It couldn't be helped. It's not your fault. I'm sorry, I should have been more patient and waited upstairs like you asked. But that's in the past now. Come on! Cheer up! Everyone's coming over! We're going to have fun and finally show everyone how much we love each other." she kissed him lightly.

"You're right," he said, sitting up. Taking her left hand in his, he kissed the diamond ring on her finger. "I love you."

She smiled. "I love you too, Quatre."

[3]

~To be continued!~

[1] Because of my lack of knowledge of alcoholic beverages I tried to stay away from naming a drink. If this really doesn't make sense, tell me.

[2] Mooching (according to me): to live off of another's money. In this case they are living off of Relena and Quatre.

[3] ::sigh:: Must. Be. Nice. To. Peacecraft. It's really hard okay! If I don't write her well, I'm sorry, I just don't like her.