Haibane Renmei Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Rei-Bane ❯ Chapter 10: Biology Lesson / The Guardian / Flirt ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Chapter Version 1.0

Do not post this to the Internet without my written permission.

Please give me feedback!


Rei-Bane: Chapter 10:  Biology Lesson / The Guardian / Flirt

Ikari stirred languidly from another restful night’s sleep.  He felt a pleasant warmth and weight along his left side and opened his eyes to the sight of Rei snuggling peacefully against him, her head on his shoulder.  With a contented smile he hugged her nude form closer to him.

The ringing of his alarm clock jarringly yanked him out of his enjoyable dream.  He reached over with a groan and smacked the offending device into silence.

Sitting up he wondered what might have made him picture Rei and himself in such a way.  ‘Probably that stuff Hikari said last night about Rei being my girlfriend…  Right…  As if that could happen.’

As he headed for the shower more dark thoughts crossed his mind.  ‘I can’t even let myself think about stuff like that…  Yeah, I like her and she’s special, but even hoping for something like that will only bring me more unhappiness…  There’s no way someone like her would feel that way about someone like me.  Best not to think about it.’


Having showered and dressed, Ikari headed over to the kitchen of the South Wing to start preparing breakfast.  Shortly thereafter Kana arrived.

"You’re here sooner than I expected," he said to her.

"Yeah, I woke up early so I figured I’d come over and see if you needed help." 

"Well, if you want you can get the porridge going." 

Kana looked askance at the large pot on the stove.  "Um…  How much do you make?"

"Well, today I’d make about three times as much as I would usually make for the five of us." 

"That’s a lot." 

"There are a dozen of them, and then there’s you, me, Hikari and the Housemother." 

Kana started into her task and then let out a large yawn.  "I’m not used to being up this early." 

Ikari reflexively echoed her yawn.  "Neither am I." 

"Rei does this every morning?"

"No, just every other day.  She has their breakfast ready before she comes over to eat with us." 

"I’m surprised she bothers to join us…  I guess she must like our company." 

"Guess so." 

Kana chuckled.  "A year ago she would not have bothered…  I suppose she’s changed some, eh, Ikari?"

"I wouldn’t know," he answered somewhat sadly.

"Yeah, I’m not surprised that you can’t see that she’s changed that way.  She seems to have always been sweet on you." 

"W-What do you mean?" Ikari stammered.

"Well, she has always liked you, right?  She wasn’t that way with us for a long time.  She was really standoff-ish." 

"Oh.  I didn’t know that."  ‘She was never really that way with me.  Why did she treat me differently right from the start?  Because she thinks she knew me before?  Yeah, that’s all probably.’


A short while later Hikari arrived and chipped in by setting the tables for the imminent arrival of the Little Feathers.

The trio’s eyes all turned to the hallway door when, to their surprise, Rakka and Rei came through it instead.

"You guys look totally beat," Kana observed.

Rakka nodded.  "Seika’s wings didn’t come out until well after midnight.  I think we got about four hours sleep between us." 

Hikari came over and looked the pair over closely.  "You two are a mess!" she declared upon seeing the extent of the blood on their clothes.  "Did everything go alright?"

"Everything is fine," Rei answered.

Rakka looked at her in shock.  "How can you just say that?"

"It is the truth." 

"But that’s not telling them anything like the whole story!"

"I did not want anyone to become alarmed unnecessarily." 

"Was there a problem?" Kana asked.

Rakka then described in detail the events of the previous day, eliciting gasps from her audience.

"That’s amazing, Rei!" Hikari concluded.  "I don’t think any of us could have done that!"

"Yeah, Rei," Kana agreed.  "That was a really, really gutsy thing to do." 

"I could see no other solution," Rei said frankly.  "And I did not want Seika to suffer unnecessarily.  It would have taken over an hour to get a doctor here for her, and he would simply have done just what I did." 

"Nothing simple about it," said Kana.  "You’re damn brave." 

Rei shook her head.  "You did not see the agony she was in.  I do not think you would have hesitated if you had been in my place." 

Kana laughed.  "Yeah, I’d like to think that too.  Makes me feel good about myself." 

"So do you two want some breakfast?" Ikari interrupted.

"That’s why we’re here!" Rakka exclaimed.  "We didn’t want to risk making any noise by cooking in the guest room and waking Seika up." 

"Do you think she’ll be alright alone?" Ikari asked.

"Rei left her a note in case she wakes up again." 

The conversation then came to an abrupt halt as the door flung open and the Little Feathers came charging in followed by the Housemother.

"Rei!  Rakka!" a number of them cried out as they swarmed around the older pair.  "When can we meet the Newborn?"

Rei once again clapped her hands to quiet her charges and get everyone’s attention.  "Sister Seika had a very difficult time with her wings last night.  I do not know if she will be up to seeing you all today." 

"Awww…" the group went in disappointment.

"Perhaps later today we’ll bring her out onto the balcony so you can at least wave and say ‘hello’ to her." 

"Yay!"


"Rei’s so good with the Little Feathers," Hikari remarked as she helped Kana and Ikari clean up after the meal was over.

"Yeah, I can’t believe how well she handles those little monsters," agreed Kana.  "She’s almost as good a guardian as Reki was." 

"Who would’ve ever thought that would be the case?"


Rakka returned to the guest room from having a shower and a short nap to find Seika sitting up waiting for her.

"Have you been awake long?" she asked.

Seika shook her head.  "No.  Just a little while."  She looked down at her lap.  "Even with Rei’s note it was sort of scary being alone." 

"Sorry about that, but we didn’t want to wake you." 

Seika smiled brightly.  "That’s okay!  You’re here now." 

"Are you hungry yet?"

"Just a little."  Seika colored.  "But… what I really need is to use the bathroom." 

Rakka frowned.  "Don’t tell me we forget to tell you where it is." 

"Oh, no!" Seika responded before again becoming uneasily self-conscious.  "It’s just that I don’t think I can make it there by myself." 

Rakka smiled warmly.  "Don’t be embarrassed.  All you had to do was ask for help." 


A few minutes later Rei returned from visiting the Little Feathers to find Rakka preparing a small meal for the New Feather.

"Where is Seika?" she asked.

"She’s in the bathroom.  She’s pretty unsteady on her feet so I had to help her get there." 

"Then I will see to helping her now while you’re in the kitchen." 

"Great!"

A short while later Rei and Rakka joined Seika at the table as she ate.

"Can I ask you something?" Seika inquired, again blushing.

"Of course," Rei replied.  "What is it?"

Seika buried her head in her hands.  "Oh, God…  I can’t believe I’m asking you about this!"

"What?" Rakka asked curiously.  "Don’t be scared." 

"Are Haibane girls… um… you know… like other girls?"

"Like other girls?" Rei asked as Rakka and she exchanged confused glances.

"You know…  Down there." 

"I am afraid I still do not understand," Rei answered.

"Neither do I," admitted Rakka.

"When I was in the bathroom… I noticed that I was missing something." 

"Missing something?" Rakka asked.

Seika took a deep breath and then hurriedly said, "I don’t seem to have a hymen.  Do you have one?"

Blushing herself, Rakka looked over at Rei.  "I have no idea.  I suppose so." 

"Haven’t you noticed at some point when you've bled?" Seika asked.

"Bled?" Rakka responded.

"She is referring to menstruation," Rei clarified.

"Oh, yeah," answered Rakka.  "Sorry...  I didn’t think of that because it doesn’t happen to Haibane girls." 

"Oh," said Seika.  "That’s really also what I wanted to know…  So we’re not like regular humans." 

"Not in that way, no," said Rei.  "We are all barren.  After all, you just have experienced for yourself how new Haibane come into this world."

"But can we… have sex?"

Rei looked to Rakka.  "I do not know if that is allowed." 

Rakka reddened some more.  "I think Reki and her boyfriend did stuff like that," she mumbled shyly.

"Is that important to you?" Rei asked Seika.

"Um…  I was just… curious.  That’s all." 

"Well, I think all us Haibane girls ask about these sorts of things at some point, so don’t feel uncomfortable about it," Rakka said.

‘I cannot recall ever inquiring about it,’ Rei realized.  ‘I wonder why I did not.  It would have been simply natural to do so.’

"So do you feel better now that you’ve had something to eat?" Rakka then asked Seika.

"Um-hmm," the New Feather answered.  "I feel a lot less shaky now." 

"I remember I felt much better after my first meal as well," Rei added as she rose to clear away the dishes.

"Do you think you can stand by yourself now?" Rakka asked.

Seika promptly got up.  "Seems so!"

"Okay, so let’s see," Rakka then said as slipped off her shoes and stood right in front of the Newborn.  "Yep, you are somewhat shorter than me.  Don’t you agree, Rei?"

"Yes.  Seika is at least ten centimeters shorter than you are." 

"Is that important to know?" Seika asked, slightly confused.

"It is if you want something to wear!" Rakka exclaimed as she headed for the door.  "I’ll be right back with some things for you to try on." 

A few minutes later Rakka returned with a bag filled with clothes.

"I think some of my old things will fit you," she said as she dug into the bag.  "Why don’t you get out of that nasty old cocoon gown?"

"Um…  Alright," Seika said hesitantly as she slipped it off her shoulders.

"Hmmm," Rakka went as she looked at Seika.  "You’re pretty thin… but I think these will still do."  She tossed a pair of panties to the New Feather.  "Try those on to start with... and then we’ll try this," she added as she held up a beige sailor dress with red trim.  "This is the first outfit I got for myself when I arrived here." 

"I don’t want to take your things," said Seika.

"Oh, don’t worry.  I grew out of this a while ago.  That’s why I think it should fit you well enough.  You’re about the same height I was back then." 

"What do you think?" Seika asked after she put the dress on.

"It looks fine," Rakka concluded.  "That’ll do you until we can get you some things in town." 

"When can we go?" Seika asked excitedly.  "I can’t wait to see it." 

Rakka looked to her red-eyed friend.  "After last night, I do not think it would be wise for you to go today," Rei said.  "Tomorrow is Sunday and most of the places in town are closed, but you should no problems going on Monday." 

"Okay," Seika said as she twirled around.  "I like this.  It’s pretty!"

At that moment they heard someone coming up the stairs.  "Hi!" they heard Ikari call out.  "I’ve brought you ladies some lunch!  Is it alright for me to come in?"

"Sure is!" Rakka called back.  "Come right in and meet Seika!"

Ikari came into the guest room carrying a big bag, which he set down on the table before turning to regard the Newborn.

"Hi…  I’m Ikari," he said shyly.

"Ooooo!" Seika squealed as she rushed over to give him a crushing hug.  "It’s so nice to see a guy around here!"

"It’s…  ah…  nice to meet you too," Ikari sputtered.

Seika brow furrowed as she looked at him and then she broke out in a big smile and gave him another squeeze.  "I remember now…  You were there when I came out of the cocoon!  You caught me!"

"You remember that?" Ikari asked in surprise.

Seika nodded.  "How could I forget a cutie like you?"

Ikari turned bright red and looked pleadingly at Rakka and Rei. 

"So what did you bring us to eat?" Rakka asked to change the subject.

"Would you like some more food?" Rei asked Seika as she emptied out the bag Ikari had brought.

"Well, I’m not really hungry anymore," answered Seika.  "But, if there’s food around you should eat, right?"

"I suppose so, if you want," said Rakka.  "I don’t think you have to worry about getting fat." 


Having finished her lunch Rakka got up and carried her dishes over to the sink.  She noted as she returned to the table that Seika had not eaten any more food in a while.

"Are you done with that?" Rakka asked as she reached for Seika’s plate to clear it away.

Seika quickly put her arm defensively around her plate and shot Rakka a menacing look, but then she immediately relaxed back, seemingly embarrassed at her action.

"Yeah, I couldn’t eat another bite," she said.  "That was good, Ikari." 

"Yes, Brother Ikari is a very good cook," said Rei.

"I’m glad you liked it," he replied sheepishly.  "The Little Feathers weren’t so enthusiastic." 

"Are they giving you trouble again?" Rei asked.

"No, not really, but I’ll be glad when they’re your concern again and not mine."  With that Ikari got up and put his own dishes in the sink.  "Well, speaking of the Little Feathers, I suppose I should get back to them." 

He headed for the door but was stopped by Rakka, who whispered something in his ear.  "Okay," he said to her and then left.

"What was that about?" Seika asked.

"You’ll see," Rakka replied cryptically.  "Now then, I think it’s time you got some sun for those new wings of yours!" 

Seika glanced at Rei, who nodded.  "They need to dry out fully," the blue-haired Haibane added.

"What would happen if they didn’t dry out?" Seika asked.

"They’ll start to smell like a wet dog!" Rakka exclaimed only somewhat jokingly.

"Really?" Seika asked.

"Rakka is exaggerating, but dampness and mildew are things you have to watch out for," Rei informed her.  "That is why sunning them is important from time to time." 

"Okay, you’ve convinced me," Seika said merrily as she headed out onto the balcony with Rei and Rakka following.

The trio walked over to the railing as Seika shook out her long hair in the light summer breeze.  "This is nice," she said.  "But I wish I didn’t still need this headband." 

"Maybe you’ll be able to take it off by tonight," said Rakka.  "That’s about as long as I needed mine." 

A few minutes later Ikari came back into the courtyard, followed by the Little Feathers and the Housemother.

"Everyone wanted to meet you," Rakka said as the children ran up to the balcony, waving and calling out greetings to the Newborn.  "So I asked Ikari to bring them out here as a surprise for you." 

Seika’s eyes began to tear up.  "This is so… wonderful," she managed as she waved back.

"Come play with us, Seika!" said Hana.

Seika turned to Rei.  "Can I?"

"That is entirely up to you.  My only concern is that you try not to over-exert yourself…  Besides, Hana probably simply wants to try braiding your hair." 


Rei, Ikari and Rakka sat watching the Little Feathers and Seika play in the courtyard.  After a while Rei stood and stretched with a small groan.

"Are you alright?" Ikari asked.

"I am feeling quite stiff," Rei answered.

"Why don’t you go for a walk?" Rakka suggested.  "Ikari, the Housemother and I can take care of everything." 

"That is a very good idea.  I have not been outside of Old Home for several days.  The exercise would certainly be beneficial." 

"Just be back before dinner!" Ikari reminded her as she headed for the south gate.

"I will," Rei answered with a small smile and a wave.

As Rei departed Rakka’s and Ikari’s attention returned to Seika.

"She sure seems to be enjoying herself," Ikari observed.

"Yeah, she does," Rakka concurred.

"She almost seems as if it’s all new to her." 

"Um-hmm…  The way she’s playing with the Little Feathers reminds me of Kuu.  They’re going to love having her here." 


Following one of Rakka’s habits, Rei walked up one of the hills near Old Home and settled down at the foot of one of the aged wind turbines that supplied Glie with electricity.

‘The view from here is agreeable,’ she thought as her eyelids grew heavy in the warm summer sun.  Soon the fatigue of the previous night caught up to her and she fell into a deep sleep.

"Feather Rei, wake up," she heard a soft, warm feminine voice beside her say.

Rei opened her eyes and was startled to find a young woman sitting beside her on the grass.  She recognized her long black hair and features immediately.

"You are the Guardian!" she said fearfully as she prostrated herself before the woman.

"You mustn’t bow to me!" the Guardian responded in surprise.  "I am not worthy of it." 

"But you are a true angel!"

The woman chuckled.  "I am no such thing," she answered as she stroked Rei’s hair tenderly.  "You have nothing to be afraid of.  I exist to serve and protect the people of this world." 

Reassured but still nervous, Rei sat back up and saw that, unlike their first meeting, the Guardian now had a Haibane’s halo and smaller wings.

‘I have seen clothes like these before,’ Rei thought.  ‘I have some exactly…’

Rei gasped.  "You are Reki!"

The Guardian nodded.

"Are you here to take me away?"

Reki again chuckled.  "No, no…  Your Day of Flight will not come for some time yet." 

"Then why are you here?"

"You are a very unusual and special Haibane, so after our little get-together last night I just wanted to talk without Lilith being around.  I’d like to get to know you a little better." 

"But can she not see us together here?  I think my speaking with you will anger her." 

"Don’t worry.  This place is impervious to her snooping," Reki answered and then smiled affectionately.  "I swore I would not let her harm you again, and I will do everything in my power to keep that promise."  Reki’s smile became somewhat predatory.  "And the powers Father has granted me are not trivial." 

Instead of being comforted, Rei became more downcast.  "Sister Reki…  I do not understand why a Blessed Feather like you would want to speak with me…  It is I who am not worthy.  I am… nothing." 

"You are far from being nothing, Ayanami Rei." 

"So you know about who I was before I came to Glie." 

Reki nodded.  "A little.  That is part of why I felt I needed to speak to you.  As you might imagine, it’s not something Guardians do with the residents of Gehinnom very often." 

"I am sorry, but I do not know what to say to you." 

"I’m sure that if you think about it at least a couple of things will come to mind." 

Rei sat silently for a moment.  "If you know about Lilith and who I am, then you must know something about what has happened back on Earth…  Because of me the fate of humanity is in Shinji’s hands, but he is now trapped here in Glie, unable to do anything about it…  How can I help him to free himself from being sin-bound so that he may bring Third Impact to a conclusion?"

Reki took Rei’s hands in her own.  "Your attitude is wonderful.  Thinking of others first is the sign of a true Haibane."  Her expression then turned serious.  "Unfortunately, I have no special insight into him, so I cannot help you." 

"Is there nothing you can do?"

"You know him far better than I do, and I think you already understand why he is sin-bound." 

"I believe it is because of his father and Eva.  Since arriving in Glie I have come to understand that he is filled with anger, hatred and bitterness because of them." 

Reki nodded.  "If that is the case with him then your conclusion about the cause is probably correct.  Indeed, it would seem his name is an apt one for a sin-bound." 

"But in Glie I do not remember these things so I am useless to him." 

"Don’t say that!  You are far from useless.  You offer him something beyond those feelings.  You and your love for him can be his way out." 

"But, again, in Glie my feelings for him are but a shadow of what I feel here... of what I felt before." 

"That may be, but Rakka has pointed you in the right direction already." 

Rei smiled.  "Yes, she has.  At Old Home I can tell that my feelings are growing for him again just as she thought they would…  There, just as in Tokyo-3, he is gentle, kind, selfless and caring." 

"Take comfort in the fact that there is no need to rush things.  Without Lilith’s interference, the two of you have a long stay in this world ahead of you, so you can allow your relationship to take its natural course.  Humanity can afford to wait a little longer for you." 

Instead of smiling at this news Rei frowned slightly.

"You find that troubling?" Reki asked.

"I do not know what to do about he and I.  At this point I cannot even say that we are truly friends, as Rakka and I are.  Just as before, I am unable to reach out to him even though I want to.  I am what my cocoon dream and name say I am - cold and empty." 

Reki shook her head.  "Rei, Rei, Rei…  Again you already have been pointed down the path you need to take." 

"But I still do not understand what the Communicator said to me." 

"It is as he told you.  You must find your true name." 

"But my name is and always will be Rei," answered Ayanami despondently.

"When I arrived at Old Home, the Communicator gave me the name ‘Reki’ because of the pebbles I remembered from my cocoon dream.  However, that was not the true meaning of my name.  It was Reki as in ‘to be run over’ - a fitting name for one who was sin-bound.  Only through my own efforts did I become the embodiment of the name that would allow me to free myself from my sin – Reki, the ‘rock’." 

"The ‘rock’?"

"Yes.  Because of my desire to become as selfless as I perceived our sister, Kuramori, to have been, I became the ‘rock’, the ‘foundation’ of the Haibane of Old Home." 

Rei nodded.  "Yes…  I see…  I know that even Nemu looked to you for guidance, and that, to Rakka, you were the heart of Old Home." 

"Now you must find the true meaning of your name and become its personification."  Again Reki smiled.  "As the Communicator told you, you are already well on your way.  Have faith in yourself.  You are a good and strong Haibane, just as Rakka says you are.  Believe in yourself the way she believes in you." 

"If only I could remember your words when I am back at Old Home." 

"I have not told you anything you did not already know.  And though you may not remember my words, the essence of what I have told you will remain with you in your subconscious, just as your conversations with Lilith have." 

Reki abruptly stood.  "Someone is coming, so I must leave now." 

"Wait!  Please tell me one thing more before you go!"

"I think I can guess what it is.  You want to know if I have seen Nemu since she took flight." 

Rei smiled.  "Yes." 

Reki nodded.  "I have.  She misses her friends at Old Home, just as I do."  She reached down and gently caressed Rei’s face.  "She misses you most of all." 

"We miss her as well." 

"You most of all." 

"Please tell her." 

"I will." 

Reki looked off into the distance and then giggled.  "My dear little sister, Rakka, has turned the wrong way looking for you, so I have time to tell you one more thing…  Because of how you took care of Seika, the others at Old Home will now begin to look more and more to you for leadership." 

"But aside from the Newborn I am the youngest!" 

"That may be how it is in Glie, but were the four of you still on Earth you’d be sixteen now.  That would make you the oldest." 

"I still do not think I am fit to give them guidance." 

Reki again shook her head.  "Trust in yourself, child!  I was told you were something called an ‘Evangelion pilot’ and that you had the fate of the world in your hands!  Your life experience has prepared you far more thoroughly to guide the Haibane of Old Home than Hikari’s, Kana’s and Rakka’s put together.  If I did not believe that were so I would not have whispered Seika’s name in your mind." 

"You did that?"

"Of course.  Haibane names are far too important to be left to chance." 

Reki again looked off into the distance.  "Finally, Rakka is coming.  I must leave." 

"Will I see you again?"

"Perhaps, if there is need." 

"Thank you." 

In an instant, Rei found herself alone once again.


Rakka came over a hill to find Rei asleep against the base of one of the turbines.

"There you are!" she called out as she came up to her friend.

Rei lazily opened her eyes and then surprised Rakka with a radiant smile.  "That was a wonderful nap," she said as she stood.

"I looked all over for you," Rakka told her.  "Come on, its almost time for dinner!"

"It was nice coming up here," Rei said as they started back down the hill.

"Yeah, I like coming up here a lot." 

Rei looked at her friend and smiled again.  "After dinner could you tell me more about Sister Reki?"

"Why all of a sudden?"

"I do not know.  I just find myself wanting to learn more about her."

"She was the best Haibane of us all."

"That you, my dear friend, feel that way is reason enough for me to find out all I can about her." 


Monday morning after breakfast Seika scampered out of the West Wing, leading the other Haibane into the sunlit courtyard.

"It’s great to be without that stupid headband!" she proclaimed as she ran her hands through her hair.

"Remember," Kana said to Rakka.  "If she gets too tired to walk back just come by the Clock Tower and I’ll give her a ride home." 

"Okay, that’d be perfect," she responded.

"So long!" Seika said with a wave as Kana and Hikari left on their scooter and bicycle respectively.  "I wish you could come to Glie with us, Rei," she then said to her elder sister.

"My work is here," Rei answered, ducking the questions that would have arisen had she told the truth about her banishment from the town.

"Do you want us to bring you back anything?" Rakka asked.

Rei thought for a moment.  "I cannot think of anything that I need, but it would be agreeable if you stopped by Hikari’s workplace and got something for the Little Feathers’ afternoon snack." 

"No problem," Rakka said as Seika, Ikari and she waved goodbye and headed down the road to town.

Seika quickly latched herself onto Ikari’s arm.  "So…  Tell me where you work again?"


"Wait right here and I’ll get us something to eat," Rakka told Seika as she sat her down beside the fountain in the central square of Glie.

"Okay, but don’t take too long," Seika said as she looked about her somewhat nervously.

"Are you afraid to be alone?" Rakka asked, surprised.

"It’s just all so new…  Even though I like Glie a lot, I feel sort of lost." 

Rakka smiled and nodded in understanding.  "I won’t be long.  The café is right over there." 

She returned a few minutes later to find Seika gone.

Rakka looked about the tables in the square and found her charge sitting with two young men.

"Seika!" she called out and motioned for the girl to come back.

"Look what he gave me!" Seika exclaimed as she sat down and showed Rakka her prize – half a muffin.

"One of them gave you that?" Rakka asked.  "Whatever for?"

"I asked him if I could have it." 

"But I was getting you something to eat." 

"It just looked so good!  And the more food the better!"

Rakka shook her head.  "You really shouldn’t go up to strangers like that… and, as a Haibane, you really shouldn’t ask for handouts, either.  We’re supposed to work for what we need." 

Seika’s expression became one of confusion.  "Oh…  Sorry." 

Rakka smiled in reassurance.  "Don’t worry about it.  It’s not a big deal." 


The next night everyone sat around the guest room table after dinner talking.

"Man, that was good, Hikari," said Kana as she patted her full belly.

"Yes, it really was!" agreed Seika.

"Hikari’s vegetable stew is hard to beat," said Rakka as she cleared away the dishes.  "I think it’s become her specialty." 

"Oh, you guys," Hikari responded, almost embarrassed by the praise.

"So, what are people doing tonight?" Seika asked.

"I’ve got a new book from the library," said Hikari.  "And then it’s a nice relaxing bath and bed for me." 

"I’m going up to work on the clock," said Kana.

"And I have some sewing I need to do," said Rei, who then turned to Rakka.  "Did you bring the sewing basket back down from your room?"

"Oh, yeah," she answered.  "I put it in the closet out of Seika’s way." 

"Do you need to do much sewing here?" Seika asked.

Rakka nodded.  "You do.  It just comes with the territory when you wear only used clothes." 

"I don’t know how to sew," Seika said glumly. 

"Neither did I when I arrived," admitted Rei.  "Hikari taught me." 

"Yeah, Hikari’s our master seamstress!" added Kana.  "She can mend anything." 

"Will you teach me?" Seika asked the blonde Haibane hopefully.

"Of course," Hikari answered.  "I like to sew, so it’s no problem." 

"Just don’t let Kana teach you!" Rakka said lightheartedly.  "She’s hopeless." 

Kana made a face and everyone laughed.

"Well, I suppose I’ll be going," Hikari then said. 

"Yeah, me too," said Kana.

"And I as well," added Rei.

Together the three of them said goodnight and departed.

"What are you doing tonight, Rakka?" Seika asked.

"I’m beat.  I had a lot to do at the Temple today, so it’s a shower and bed for me." 

"Oh, that’s right," said Ikari.  "How was your visit to the Temple, Seika?"

Seika smiled at him.  "I’m glad someone remembered to ask!"

"She did really well," Rakka commented.  "She didn’t have any trouble with her wings at all!" 

"Did the Communicator frighten you?" Ikari asked.

"Him?  No way!  He was sweet." 

"I don’t think I’ve ever heard him described that way before," said Rakka with a chuckle.  "I’ll have to tell him." 

"No!  Don’t!" Seika pleaded jokingly.

"Oh, I don’t know," Rakka teased as she stood to leave.

"You meanie!" Seika said and stuck out her tongue.

Rakka laughed.  "See you tomorrow." 


"So what about you, Brother?" Seika purred after Rakka had gone.

"After I finish the dishes I think it’s a shower and bed for me too." 

"Do you want me to help?"

"No, that’s alright.  I can manage.  It’ll only take a few minutes." 

Seika walked over to the windows and looked out into the courtyard.  "Everybody’s so boring tonight!"

"I suppose we’re all tired out from work today." 

"I know.  I guess I just don’t feel comfortable being alone yet." 

"Well, I can stay for a while and keep you company." 

Seika’s face lit up.  "I’d really like that!"

After he had finished the dishes Ikari came over and joined Seika at the window.

"There’s some lightning over there," he noticed.  "Looks like a storm's coming.  The wind’s even picking up." 

Seika nodded.  "I’m so glad to be inside." 

"Don’t like rain?"

"I don’t remember…  I guess not.  It’s cold and miserable being wet." 

Seika moved closer to Ikari as the first thunder rumbled in the distance.

"Um… Seika?"  Ikari looked down at her and saw what seemed to be a look of genuine anxiety on her face.

"Thank you for staying here with me." 

"N-No problem." 

Soon thereafter Seika leaned her head onto Ikari’s shoulder.  "Can I ask you something?"

"Ah…  I guess." 

"Would you like to stay here with me tonight?"

"What?" Ikari asked, shocked.

"I’m sure my bed is big enough." 

"Seika…  I…  Uh…"

"Don’t you like me?"

"I-It’s not that…  I just…  Um…"

"I know I can make you feel really good." 

By now Ikari’s face was so red he could feel it burning.  "Seika…"

She turned to face him.  "I know they're not as big as Rei's or Hikari's, but they’re still nice," she said as she unbuttoned her shirt.  "See?"

"Oh, God."

"They're for you, if you want...  All of me is for you, if you want." 

With that she took one of his hands and pressed it to her breast.  She closed her eyes and smiled dreamily.  "It feels good, doesn’t it?"

At that moment they both turned as they heard footsteps coming into the room.

"I forgot to take the sewing bas… ket," said Rei.


Author’s Notes:

This is the point I originally wanted to get to by the end of chapter nine.  Seeing the length of the two chapters, though, I’m glad I broke it up.

On Haibane & relationships: At first glance Haibane seem like asexual beings who do not care about forming couples like humans do.  However, Reki & Hyouko’s relationship seems to belie that notion, as does Nemu’s quip in the anime about how it would be nice to "have men around".  It just seems that, overall, Haibane do not seek out romantic relationships, nor do they care as much about having them as humans do.  They seem to be far more singular creatures than humans are.  They are not loners, however, as friendship and community are very important to them.

This is part of the reason I made Shinji’s dream about Rei at the beginning of the chapter more sensual and romantic than overtly sexual.  Also, I somehow doubt male Haibane have ‘wet dreams’ for the same reasons.

Have you figured out what sort of life Seika had before?  Just as Hikari and Kana wondered about in the last chapter, Seika’s was a rough life.  Look at the way she is about food given the fact she’s very thin.  She also seems to be attention deprived.  Play seems novel to her.  And then there’s how she is about males and sex, and the fact she’s a young girl without an intact hymen.  It adds up to someone who had a lonely, disadvantaged life and who had to use her body to survive.  Think of Seika as someone who was perhaps an orphan who had to prostitute herself to live.  Perhaps she was a street urchin somewhere.  She also seems to gravitate towards males simply for protection – in this case towards Shinji.  She now does all this simply out of engrained habits, not because she actually remembers anything about herself. 

About Shinji’s name: Reki is referring to one meaning of Ikari – hatred – as being apt for a sin-bound.

Why didn’t Rei ask about Haibane and menstruation?  In NGE fandom her remark about a "woman who does not bleed" is usually taken as a reference to herself not having a period.  After all, inter-species hybrids are usually sterile.  I’ve followed that notion here, so Rei never asked simply because it never occurred to her to ask.

Ten centimeters = 4 inches.

Finally, Shinji and Rei both have issues of self-doubt and self-loathing - her more the former and him more the latter.  We see this about Rei in her talk with Reki.  Rei’s feelings are pretty neatly compartmentalized, but Shinji’s are not.  We’ll see some of the ramifications of this coming up.