Haibane Renmei Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Rei-Bane ❯ Chapter 9: Seika / Choice Cuts / Warning ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Chapter Version 1.1

Do not post this to the Internet without my written permission.

Please give me feedback:


Rei-Bane: Chapter 9: Seika / Choice Cuts / Warning

"Easy now," Rakka urged as they carried the blanket-wrapped Newborn down the stairs of the Second North Wing.

"No peaking, Ikari," Kana teased.

Ikari, who was holding the girls lower legs, blushed.

"Or did you already get a good look?" the tomboy continued.

Ikari turned an even deeper shade of red.  "I… I didn’t see anything like that."

"I do not understand why Brother Ikari is so embarrassed," Rei then said.  "He has seen me without clothing before."

"What?" cried the other three girls.

"Ikari?" Kana asked pointedly.

"I-I just accidentally saw her once coming down the hall after she took a shower."

Hikari sighed with relief.  "Yeah, Rei does have this habit of walking around the East Tower like that.  I’ve run into her myself a few times.  All she has on are her wing covers from being in the shower."

"You really should be more modest, Rei," advised Rakka.

Everyone could tell by the look on her face that Rei did not understand why.


Eventually they worked their way over to the guest room in the West Wing and laid the Newborn down in the bed.

"Man, we’re all still soaking wet," Kana observed.

"There’s only one thing to do, then," said Hikari.  "I’m sorry, Ikari, but you’ll have to wait out in the hallway while we get out of these clothes."

He blushed again and hurriedly left the room, closing the door behind him.

A few minutes later the door opened slightly and Rei poked her head out.

"Here, Brother," she said, slipping a bag full of the wet clothes through the crack.  "Please take these over to the South Wing and run them through the clothes dryer there."

"Um…  Okay."  He blushed some more as he could clearly see Rei’s bare shoulder.

"Please bring them back as soon as they are dry."


After putting the girls’ clothes in the dryer, including their undergarments, which embarrassed him still further, Ikari headed back to his own room to change.  He then returned to the South Wing to wait for the dryer to finish.  Once there the Housemother made him some tea and had him tell her and some of the older Little Feathers who were still awake about the new arrival.

About an hour later he was knocking on the guest room door.

Once again Rei’s head appeared.  "Thank you, Brother," she said as she took back the clothes bag.  "You should be able to come in momentarily," she added and then shut the door again.

Shortly thereafter the door swung open and he was allowed back into the guest room, where he found Hikari sitting on the bed cradling the head of the Newborn in her lap as she brushed the girl’s long hair.

"Isn’t she pretty, Ikari?" she asked.

"She does look sweet sleeping peacefully like that," Rakka added.

Ikari simply nodded and then looked over at Rei and smiled.

Rei felt like her heart fluttered momentarily.

"When will she wake up?" he asked.

"Probably not until mid-afternoon tomorrow at the earliest," Kana said.  "Most Newborns sleep the better part of a day."

"It’s more like she’s unconscious rather than sleeping," he observed.

"True," said Hikari.  "But saying she’s ‘sleeping’ sounds a lot less dramatic."

"Sleeping is normal," Rei said.  "Just as her condition now is."

"Well, normal for a newborn Haibane, anyway," said Rakka.


The next day Rakka and Rei were setting the table for lunch when, to their complete surprise, the Newborn unexpectedly sat up.

"You’re awake already?  How are you feeling?" Rakka asked.

"A-Are you a-angels?" the girl asked fearfully.

Rei’s stomach tightened at the mention of that dreaded word.

"Am I d-dead?"

"No, no, you’re not dead," said Rakka as she sat on the bed and took one of the girl’s hands in hers.  "And we’re not angels.  We’re just called Haibane because of our wings."

"Where am I?  Who am I?  I don’t remember anything!"

"I’m sorry, but no one here knows who you were.  Starting today you have a new life as a Haibane.  That’s the way this place is."

"Welcome to Old Home, Sister," Rei added.

"I…" the girl said, trailing off.

"Just rest now," Rakka said soothingly.  "I’m Rakka and this is Rei," she added, gesturing to her friend.  "We’re here to look after you, so don’t hesitate to ask us if you need anything.  Kana and Hikari will be back here soon and then we’ll talk some more."

The girl lay back down.  "I am tired."

"That’s not surprising.  And if you feel frightened, just remember that we’re all your friends here.  No one and nothing are going to hurt you."


A short time later Kana and Hikari returned from their morning trip into town to work.

"How is she doing?" Hikari asked quietly as she looked at the Newborn’s sleeping form.

"She woke up for a bit a little while ago," Rakka answered.

"Really?" asked Kana.

Rakka nodded.  "Maybe she’ll wake up again after lunch."

Only a few minutes later, however, the Newborn stirred.  Hikari immediately pulled up a chair beside the bed.  Now that she was the oldest she felt it was her duty to see to the new arrival just as Nemu and Reki had done.

"Hi," she said warmly.  "I’m Hikari.  How are you feeling?"

"Sleepy," the girl responded as she sat up.

"Kana, can you get her some pillows?"

"Sure thing!"

Shortly thereafter the four Haibane of Old Home gathered around the bed of the New Feather.  Hikari then performed the customary explanations and introductions.

Rei did not like having to explain the reasons for her name.  ‘Cold…  Empty…  Just as I still am,’ she thought sourly afterwards.

"So, now that you know how we got our names," Hikari then said.  "Tell us about your dream and we’ll give you yours."

"I remember it really clearly," the girl said.  "I was walking through a forest at sunset.  It was autumn.  The trees were all different shades of red, orange, yellow and gold."

"Sounds nice so far," said Rakka.

The girl nodded.  "As I was walking it began to get dark and I started to get cold.  Then I saw some smoke rising in the distance.  I hurried to it and came to a small clearing where there was a big campfire.  I sat down next to it and warmed myself."  The girl looked up at them.  "It was a nice dream."

Everyone smiled.  ‘I’m so glad!’ thought Rei.

"So," Hikari then said.  "About your name…"

All eyes turned to the blonde Haibane, but she just sat silently with a puzzled look on her face.

"Seika," Rei suddenly said softly.

"What was that, Rei?" Rakka asked.

"Seika, as in ‘sacred flame’.  Would that be an appropriate name?"

"I like it!" the Newborn exclaimed.

"Then your name is now Seika!" Hikari pronounced happily.

Rakka then stepped forward and popped open the halo mold.  "Now that you have a name, Sister Seika, I present to you your seal as a sign of your future as a Haibane."

She released the glowing ring above Seika’s head, where it wavered for a moment and then fell to the floor.

Seika was taken aback, as was Rei. 

"Oh, not again," Rakka muttered.

"Don’t worry," said Hikari with a smile.  "This happens sometimes.  It just means that your halo will shine brightly."

A short while later, with the help of some wire and a paper headband, Seika’s halo was securely positioned above her.

"It should stick by itself in a day or two," Hikari explained.

"It’s just like when Rakka was born!" Kana said.

"Don’t remind me," Rakka grumbled to everyone’s amusement.


After lunch Rei walked over to the South Wing to see how Ikari was doing with the Little Feathers.  She opened the entryway door only to be greeted with a loud commotion coming from the dining room.

"What is going on in here?" she asked quietly but firmly as she entered.

The children immediately fell silent.

Upon seeing Rei, Ikari sighed with relief.  "They don’t want to eat what I cooked."

"Why not?" Rei asked.

"Boys can’t cook!" one of the girls exclaimed.

"Did you even try it?" Rei asked.

"No way!" another child said.

"Do you like the food I make for you?"

"Yes!" they all said.

"Brother Ikari is a much better cook than I am."

"Really?" asked Hana.

Rei nodded.  "If you do not try his food, you will not know what you are missing."

Within moments the children were all happily eating away.

"Thanks," Ikari said.  "I wish I could handle them like that."

"Where is the Housemother?"

"She went into town to get some things."

Rei frowned slightly.  "She should not have left you alone with the Little Feathers."

"But they were fine until just now."

"You can never tell when or what the next problem will be with them."

Ikari laughed.  "So how is the Newborn?"

"She is well.  She has even awoken."

With that Rei clapped her hands twice to get the children’s attention.  "As you all know," she began.  "We have a new Sister here at Old Home.  Her name is now Seika, and I expect all of you to treat her with respect."

"When can we see her?" Hana asked.

"Tomorrow perhaps.  She does not have her wings yet."

"They’re really excited about the Newborn," Ikari said.

"Yes, I know.  Since it was found, the cocoon was the main topic of conversation."

"When can I meet her?"

"Again, I think tomorrow would be best.  Even Hikari and Kana are going to wait until then to visit her once more."

"Yeah, they stopped by this morning and asked me if I’d like to join them in town for dinner tonight."

"Are you going to go?"

"Um-hmm."

"I am glad you are getting along with them."

Ikari smiled.  "This place sure beats the Factory."

"Perhaps when you return there you can make it more as you would wish it to be."


Back in the guest room Seika asked, "Rakka, why does Rei look so different from the rest of you?"

"Oh, you mean her eyes and hair?"

The Newborn nodded.  "And she’s so pale."

Rakka shrugged.  "It’s just the way she looks.  Otherwise, she’s like the rest of us."  She smiled.  "And soon, you’ll have wings like hers too!"

Seika once more became apprehensive.  "Will it hurt when they come out?"

"Do you want me to lie to you and say it won’t?" Rakka answered with a small smile.

Seika chuckled nervously.  "I don’t think I’m very good with pain."

Rakka sat on the edge of the bed and again gave one of Seika’s hands a gentle reassuring squeeze.  "Everything will be over by this time tomorrow.  For now try to rest as much as you can."

Moments later the door opened and Rei returned.

"Hi, Rei!" Seika said, smiling.

"How were the little ones?" Rakka asked.

Rei sighed.  "As they usually are."

"Poor Ikari."

"Who’s Ikari?" Seika asked.

"Remember how Hikari mentioned there’s another group of Haibane here in Glie?" Rakka asked.  "Ikari’s one of them.  He’s just staying at Old Home temporarily."

"Oh.  How come?"

"It's a long story," Rakka answered as Rei sat on the opposite side of the bed. 

"You will probably meet him tomorrow," said Rei.  "You can ask him about it then if you wish."  She inclined her head to the Newborn.  "How are you feeling?"

Seika became downcast.  "My back is starting to hurt."

"Can we see?" asked Rakka.

Rei and she helped the Newborn roll over.

Rakka scowled at what she saw.  The bruising and swelling caused by Seika’s developing right wing were clearly up and to the right of where they should have been.

She looked over at Rei, who was clearly perplexed.

"We’ll go get you some ice for your back," Rakka then said.

Taking Rei by the arm she led her into the kitchen area.

"You saw it too?" she whispered as she opened the freezer.

"Yes," Rei answered equally quietly.  "The swelling is asymmetrical."

"What do you think it means?"

"I cannot say for sure.  Perhaps it is nothing."

"And perhaps it is… what?"

"I do not know.  It may be that her wing is caught on some other part of her body, such as a rib or her shoulder blade."

"And what can we do if it is?"

"We can try to move it now, but if it does not emerge properly on its own we may have to cut it out."

Aghast, Rakka gasped.  "Cut it out?" she whispered harshly.

Rei nodded.  "Are you familiar with the technique called a ‘Caesarian’?"

Rakka shook her head.

"It is a surgical birthing method.  An incision is made into the pregnant woman’s abdomen and the infant is extracted through it.  What we may have to do would be somewhat similar."

Rakka went almost as white as Rei.

"That is a worst case scenario," Rei said in an attempt to be reassuring.  "Her wing most likely will come out normally by itself."


"This is the best!" Kana exclaimed as she chomped down on another big chunk of meat.

"Yes, it is very good," Hikari agreed as she again looked about at the decorations of the fancy restaurant Kana had chosen for dinner.  "I suppose it’s alright to splurge a little tonight.  We do have the Newborn to celebrate."

"I’m surprised a place like this even lets Haibane in," Ikari said.

"Maybe one of us worked here in the past," Hikari guessed.

"We should have pork chops like these at Old Home more often," Kana said, bringing the conversation back to her food.

"They’re not the sort of thing we can afford regularly, and you know it," said Hikari.

"Besides, Rei won’t eat them," added Ikari.

"Yeah, but she doesn’t mind us eating meat," observed Kana.  "But Hikari’s right about us not being able to afford them…  I know!  We should demand pay raises!"

"Keep your voice down," Hikari chided.  "People are looking."

"Eh, they’re going to look anyway.  We’re totally out of place here.  That’s part of what makes it so great!"

Hikari shook her head.  "Sometimes I still don’t get you."


Rakka looked on uneasily as Rei laid out the first aid supplies she had brought over from the South Wing that morning.

Soon after she had begun to care for the Little Feathers Rei had urged Nemu to improve their provisions for caring for injuries.  Now Rei’s arrangement of the resulting acquisitions had transformed the dining table into something that would not have been out of place in a doctor’s office.

Finally, as Rakka watched, Rei placed a surgical knife into a bowl of alcohol to sterilize it.  Given their earlier conversation the action filled the brown haired Haibane with anxiety.


"So, what’s the Newborn like?" Ikari asked.

"It’s hard to say so soon," Hikari answered.  "She was scared like we all were when we were born."

"Yeah, but she seemed to get over that really fast," observed Kana.

"Um-hmm.  She did.  Heck, she almost seemed excited by the prospect of being a Haibane."

"That sounds good," said Ikari.

Hikari nodded.  "But it sort of makes you wonder, though."

"How so?"

"Well, even though we Haibane don’t remember our old lives, I think that we retain some sense of what that life was like.  That’s why when we arrive in Glie most of us have real feelings of loss and loneliness at first.  We miss our previous lives."

"But you don’t think that Seika does?"

"It’s just a guess, but no, I don’t think she does."

"If that’s true you have to wonder what her old life was like then," said Kana.

"Rei didn’t seem to miss her old life at first either," Hikari remembered.  "She immediately got settled into being a Haibane.  She’s even commented that being a Haibane is much better than her previous life was."

"Yeah, and you know how hard we all think her old life was," said Kana.  "I hope Seika’s wasn’t like that."


"What are you reading?" Rakka asked Rei, who was studying a thick volume she had gone to her room to get.

"It is a medical text I asked Sumika to give to us since the library had two copies of it."

"So what are you looking up?"

Rei pointed to a diagram on the page she was reading.

"Oh," said Rakka when she saw it was about the anatomy of the upper back.

"I want to be as prepared as possible for whatever might happen," Rei said quietly.


"Okay, who’s up for some dessert?" Kana asked as they rolled out of the restaurant.

"You have got to be kidding me," answered Hikari.  "I can barely move as it is."

"How about you, Ikari?"

"I feel the same way."

"Man, you guys are so lame."


"Is everything alright?" Seika asked.  "My back really hurts."

"Everything’s just as it should be," Rakka said.

She glanced over at Rei, who was looking at her with the expression she generally reserved for naughty Little Feathers.

"Since the situation has not corrected itself by now, I believe we should tell her the truth," Rei said.

"What is it?" Seika asked anxiously.

"The swelling from your right wing isn’t where it should be," Rakka admitted.  "Rei thinks that maybe some part of your wing might be caught under your shoulder blade or something like that."

"We do not know if this is a problem or not," Rei added.  "We hope it is of no consequence."

"And if it is?" Seika asked.

"We do not know.  Something like that has not happened within memory.  I have already tried twice to move your wing over but it did not budge."

"Don’t worry," Rakka said reassuringly.  "You'll be fine.  We’ll make sure of that."


Ikari cast his gaze up to the windows of the guest room as they walked into the courtyard of Old Home.  "How do you think they’re doing?"

"We could go up and say ‘hello’," Kana suggested.

"That’s probably not a good idea," Hikari said.  "Seika’s almost certainly in a lot of pain by now."

"Yeah, you’re right," Kana agreed.  "It’s late anyway.  We probably should get up early so we can go get breakfast in town tomorrow, Hikari."

"I can make you breakfast," Ikari suggested.  "I have to make it for the Little Feathers anyway."

"That would be great!" said Hikari.

"Yeah," said Kana.  "See you in the morning then," she added and then headed off for the North Wing.

Hikari and Ikari walked to the East Wing together.

"Goodnight," Hikari said and started up the stairs to her room.

"’Night."

"Oh, Ikari…  Thanks for coming with us tonight.  It was fun."

"Yeah, I had a good time too."

"Sometimes I think it’s too bad you’re not a girl."

"Oh?" Ikari said with a blush.

Hikari nodded.  "It’s nice having you here."  She smiled.  "Rei’s lucky."

"Rei?  Lucky?"

"Of course, to have a boyfriend like you."

Ikari turned beet red.  "But I’m not…  We’re not… like that."

Hikari was surprised.  "But both of you so obviously like being around each other so much.  I just assumed."

"Um…"  'Do we really seem that way?'

"And here I thought you two were just trying to be discreet...  Anyway, Rei’s still lucky to have a friend like you."

"I-I guess…"

"Oh, well.  See you tomorrow," Hikari said and then hurried up the stairs.

"Yeah…  See you."


"Rei!  It’s started!" Rakka called out as blood began to dribble down Seika’s back.

Moments later Seika screamed as her left wing broke through her skin, sending blood everywhere as it flapped erratically as she writhed on the bed. 

"Her right wing didn’t come out!" Rakka cried as she could clearly see it moving under Seika’s skin.

"It hurts!  It hurts!" the Newborn bawled.

"Hold her down," Rei commanded firmly but evenly as she rushed over, implements in hand.

Rakka did as she was told as Rei jumped onto the bed, straddled Seika and sat down squarely on the smaller girl’s hips, further immobilizing her.

Rei splashed some alcohol onto Seika’s back and then raised the surgical knife.

Seika let loose the most blood-curdling howl Rakka had ever heard as the blade bit into her skin.  Her eyes grew wide as she watched Rei deftly make a cut that mirrored the one torn by Seika’s left wing.

Blood flowed freely from the new wound as Rei pulled it open with her right hand.

‘Oh, God…  She’s going to…’ Rakka thought queasily as Rei thrust her left hand into the cut.

Seika again shrieked and then fell silent and limp.

"Has she lost consciousness?" Rei asked calmly as she felt for Seika’s wing.

Rakka looked down.  "Yes, she has."

"It is probably for the best, but we must be careful of shock."

Rakka rushed over to the table and grabbed a towel to soak up the blood so Rei could see better.

"There," Rei soon said.  "I have it."

Slowly she tried to work the wing free but it would not move.

"Rakka, try pressing down on her shoulder.  That should make the inner part of her shoulder blade rise." 

Again Rakka did as instructed and Rei soon managed to loosen the wing’s tip from under the shoulder blade.  Suddenly the wing then came free, covering them both in blood and gore as it literally sprang out.

Rakka collapsed back onto the bed.  "That was horrific."

"Yes," Rei agreed as she pressed the towel to the still-bleeding wound.  "But now Seika has her wings."

"Will she be alright?"

Rei checked her patient.  "Her breathing is even and her pulse is strong and regular, so she should be fine."

"Should we try to keep her warm because of shock?"

"I think the fever will do that for us.  Letting her overheat would not be advisable."

"This place looks like a slaughterhouse," Rakka said as she surveyed the scene.  "You, me…  There’s blood everywhere…  We should clean it up before it dries."


Sweat stung Seika's eyes as she opened them and saw Rakka, her head down on her folded arms, asleep at the table.

"Rei, what are you doing?" she asked weakly.

"Cleaning your wings, otherwise they will be stained."

"Are they alright now?"

"Yes, everything is fine."

"I’m so hot."

"The fever is normal.  It does not last long."

"Your dress…  Is that?"

"Yes, it is your blood."

"Sorry."

"It was not your fault.  Do not concern yourself with it."

Seika smiled.  "Rakka’s asleep."

Rei nodded.  "It is about three in the morning.  Once I am done cleaning this wing we are going to trade places, so that I may rest as well."

"You’ve been awake all this time?"

"Yes."

"Thank you."

"Helping others is an important part of being an Haibane."

A moment later Rei smiled warmly as a memory came to her. 

"What is it?" Seika asked.

"Your wings are a beautiful grey."


Seika again opened her eyes, this time to see a mop of blue hair next to her.  At some point Rei had simply put her head down on the bed and gone to sleep.

Turning to face the other way Seika found Rakka diligently working on her right wing.

Rakka smiled at her.  "You’re really lucky, you know."

"Why?"

"Rei had to make an incision and pull your wing out.  You’re fortunate she was here.  There’s no way I could have done it."

"Isn’t she always here to look after Newborns?"

"Oh, no...  This was her first time.  The rest of us have all been here longer than her.  Even though she looks older than the rest of us, next to you she’s the youngest." 

Rakka shook her head.  "I’d never seen anything like what she did."

"All I remember was a lot of pain and then a real lot of pain."

"It’s good that you passed out.  It wasn’t quick or pretty."

"Is this what being a Haibane is like?"

"What, all the pain?  No!"

"No, I meant having people care for you."

Rakka nodded.  "We do try to look out for one another.  Each of us here at Old Home cares about her sisters very much, and, now, that includes you too."

Seika smiled.  "I think I like being a Haibane."


Rei looked about her, seeing nothing but a dull white haze.

"This is like my cocoon dream, but it feels different," she said to herself.  "I am even dressed differently," she noted as she looked down at herself.

She felt a presence behind her and spun around… to find herself looking at a mirror image of her blood-spattered self.

"If you’re going to perform surgery you should at least wear something appropriate," said Lilith caustically.  "That dress was probably one of Reki’s favorites and you’ve gone and ruined it."

"What do you want from me now?" Rei spat.

"Still refusing to address your mother appropriately, I see.  Typical teenager."

Rei glared at her.

"I just wanted to warn you about that little Newborn," Lilith eventually continued.

"Seika?  What about her?"

"She could be trouble for you and, more importantly, for Shinji."

"Why?  Did you send her?" Rei asked with derision.

Lilith shoved Rei, causing her to stumble back several paces and then fall to the ground. 

"Do not take that tone with me!  The situation is far too grave for such juvenile nonsense!"

Lilith advanced on Rei once more but was stopped by a tremendous flash of light behind her 'daughter'.

Rei felt a gentle hand on her head as a voice behind her called out, "You will not harm this Feather any further!"

The dream Rei turned and saw a young woman with long straight black hair, clad in a shining white robe, standing protectively over her.  On Earth she would have been taken for an Asian, but in this place her large grey wings shattered that image.

‘A true angel,’ was all Rei could think.

"What do you want?" Lilith asked in a voice full of hatred.

"Our Father has sent me here as one of the Guardians of Gehinnom," the woman announced.  "He has decided that your meddling in its affairs has gone on long enough."

"What?"

"You are not to interfere with the lives of those you have sent there any longer."

"But the fate of the entire human race is at stake!" Lilith cried out almost desperately.

"Humanity has put itself into its present predicament through its own devious and evil ways.  If it disappears into nothingness as a result, the effect will be but a small pinprick on the Universal Consciousness."

"Father can put everything right with just a thought!  Why does He not?"

"As He wished to do with Sodom, He may yet act to save humanity if given a reason."

"They are my children," Lilith pleaded.  "You must let me help them!"

"You have delivered them into their plight yourself.  What sort of mother would do that?"

"I just wanted to help Shinji make the right choice!"

"You mean the choice you want him to make."  With that the Guardian raised her right hand above her head and a sword whose blade was surrounded by rings of fire appeared in it.

"I will not warn you again," she said and then vanished.

"W-Who was that?" a shaken Rei asked as she got to her feet.

"She was what she said she was."

"Are you going to obey her?"

Lilith scoffed.  "She can do nothing to me."

Rei looked at her dubiously.  "Your behavior in her presence would indicate otherwise."

"Good.  I wanted her to think I'd do as I was told."

"So you were just being manipulative as usual then?"

"Of course."  Lilith smiled as she walked over to Rei.  "Now, then, forget about that troublesome gnat...  Let’s get back to your little situation."

"As the Guardian said, the ‘situation’ is all of your making."

"I had nothing to do with this Newborn."

"You did not send her to Glie as you did with Shinji and me?"

Lilith feigned shock.  "Me?  Of course not!  She’s been waiting her turn like a good little girl and her chance finally came."

"Then how is she a danger?"

"I just get this feeling about her…  There's something about her soul...  A darkness almost like a stain...  And the stakes with Shinji are too high to let things become more unsettled."

"How does this concern Shinji?  Moving to Old Home appears to have helped him greatly.  I cannot foresee him being sin-bound much…"


"Rei!  Rei!  Are you alright?" Rakka asked as she shook her friend awake.

Rei sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.  "Is something wrong?"

"I think you were having a nightmare."

"Yes," agreed Seika groggily.  "You must have been.  You woke me up."

"I did?"

"You were talking in you sleep," confirmed Rakka.  "At first you mumbled some stuff, and then you almost shouted when I shook your shoulder to wake you because you were starting to thrash around."

"What did I say?"

"Well, you mumbled things that sounded like ‘lilies’ and ‘angel’, and then, at the end, you said ‘Shinji’."

"‘Lilies’?  ‘Shinji’?  Why would I say such things?"

Rakka shrugged.  "Do you remember anything about your dream?"

Rei shook her head.  "No.  Nothing."

"Well at least you’re awake and okay now.  It seems like it must've been a real nasty nightmare."

"Shinji is a name, correct?"

"I think so, but I don’t know of anyone called that.  Do you?"

"No, but it seems familiar."


Author’s Notes:

ZOMG!  Things r teh Biblical!

Seika asks if she’s dead.  Good question.  Just what is the world of Glie anyway?  One theory is that it is some sort of variant on Purgatory – a temporary place where souls go before moving on to their final destination.  I have followed this viewpoint by calling the world of Glie ‘Gehinnom’, which is the Hebrew word for Hell.  However, just as with the Christian idea of Purgatory, in this particular Jewish view most souls are sent to Gehinnom for purification, not damnation, so that by being cleansed of their sins they will be fit for the afterlife with God.

My personal view is that the world of Glie is for people whose lives on Earth did not allow for their true characters to be seen, either through dying young or being born into horrible circumstances.  In my view Haibane are the former and the humans of Glie are the latter.

However, I also think that there is more to being reborn as a Haibane than just dying young.  I think that Haibane are people who those making the judgments in that world think have particular spiritual potential.

A part of this Purgatory-like view of Glie is that the cocoon dreams of Haibane are somehow related to their deaths: Rakka fell; Kana drowned, etc.  One corollary to this theory is that Haibane who are born sin-bound are suicides.  Reki apparently stepped in front of a train, for example.  Some Haibane fans, however, think that all the Haibane are young suicides.

Are Rei and Shinji’s dreams related to their ‘deaths’?  We’ll see…

Actually, what Rei dreamed of is not that hard to figure out in the context of End of Evangelion.

The inspiration for Seika’s name came to Rei, not Hikari.  Remember what the Communicator said about the new leader of Old Home?

No, Rakka’s halo didn’t stick at first either.

Shinji fits in well with the girls of Old Home?  Well, so many NGE fans think he’s a girly boy already, so why not?

A ‘Guardian’ appears.  Who is she?  What is she?  The first answer is pretty obvious.

And the Guardian's weapon?  See Genesis chapter 3 verse 24: He drove out the man, and at the east of the Garden of Eden he placed the cherubim and a flaming sword that turned every way to guard the way to the Tree of Life.

As for Sodom, God promises Abraham in Genesis chapter 18 that he will not destroy the city if there are as few as ten righteous people living there.  Of course, God found only Lot and his family to be righteous and so his messengers told them to flee the city before he then destroyed it.

And as for Lilith’s warning:  As we all know, fire can burn as well as warm.  Will we see that Seika is no different?

I didn’t get as far along in the story as I originally intended with this chapter, but here seemed like a good place to end it.

Version 1.1:  Clean up and some significant dialogue revisions.  Also added to the Author's Notes.