Haibane Renmei Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Rei-Bane ❯ Chapter 13: Hedgehog's Solution / Sentences / Adversaries ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Chapter Version 1.0

Do not post this to the Internet without my written permission.

Please give me feedback!

-------------------- Rei-Bane:  Chapter 13:  Hedgehog’s Solution / Sentences / Adversaries

If he had been able, Ikari would have bolted from the bed without any hesitation.  However, weakened as he was, the most he could do was move his arms a little or wiggle his toes.  Anything else was beyond him, especially given the way Rei was draped across him.

Eventually, he calmed down and looked at the girl peacefully slumbering beside him.

‘She really is beautiful,’ he thought as he took in her delicate features, pale skin and long blue hair.  ‘With her wings she looks like some sort of fairy princess.’

A short while later Rei began to stir. 

‘This is… pleasant,’ she decided, half awake.  ‘Ikari is warm.’

‘Warm?’ she asked herself in surprise.

She opened her eyes to see him gazing down at her.

"You have recovered?" she asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," he whispered.  "Thanks to you."

Tears once again came to her eyes as she hugged him fiercely.  "Do not ever do that again!  I was sure you were going to die."

"I think I almost did…  I had this strange dream."  ‘Where you told me you loved me,’ he added to himself.

Rei raised herself up and looked into Ikari’s eyes as she brought a hand to his face.  "I am so thankful you are alright."

She noticed Ikari’s gaze drop as he blushed furiously.  "What is it?" she asked as she glanced down and answered her own question.  His eyes were now glued to her exposed breasts.

She pulled a sheet between them as she too blushed.  "I… I was trying to… keep you as warm as possible."

"Thank you."

Rei averted her eyes.  "I only wish I could have done more."

Ikari smiled.  "I’m alive, aren’t I?  I think you did just fine."

Rei again hugged him tightly and he did his best to reciprocate.

------------------

Rakka left her room, her heart feeling heavier than it had in a long while.  She had retreated to her bed the night before as much from being unable to bear the scene before her as from fatigue.

In the end, though, she hadn’t slept much.  Thoughts of what she might have done to better help Ikari had kept running through her head all night.

‘Once he had stopped responding to us at all there was nothing else we could’ve done,’ she again told herself.

It did not make her feel any less guilty, or any less of a failure.

As she came down the stairs, she fully expect to find Rei weeping over their brother Feather’s dead body when she got to the guest room.

‘I don’t want to even think about what all this is going to do to poor Rei…  It could push her over the edge as well.’

Arriving on the second floor, she paused and took a deep breath to steel herself before she ventured to enter the guest room as quietly as possible.

Nothing could have prepared her for the shock of the sheer ordinariness of what she found.

She came into the room to find Ikari lying on his side, fast asleep.  A quick glance at the color of his once-sallow cheeks told Rakka all she needed to know.

‘He’s made it!’

She quickly sat down on the bed and gave him a small shake.  "Hey there," she said softly when he opened his eyes.

"Rakka…  Hi."

"How do you feel?"

"Like I got run over by something."

She nodded.  "Should I make you some more of the medicine?  It should help you feel stronger."

Ikari grimaced at the mention of the foul concoction.  "No thanks."

Rakka chuckled.  "Yeah, it is pretty nasty stuff."  She then finally realized someone was absent.  "Where’s Rei?"

"She went to make breakfast for the Little Feathers."

Rakka shook her head.  "Gee, what a surprise."  ‘Of course…  Ikari’s out of danger so she goes right back to her regular duties.  That’s just so… her.’

"Thanks for everything you did," Ikari then said.

"You’re very, very welcome.  Would you like me to make you something to eat?"

Ikari nodded.  "That would be great."

"How about something nice and easy, like rice porridge?"

"That sounds good."

"Okay, then.  Let me help you sit up."

As she aided Ikari, Rakka noted his wings had once again blackened.

"Remind me later to put some medicine on your wings," she said.  "They look pretty bad."

"But I just put more of that stuff on a week ago."

Rakka shrugged.  "Well, you definitely need more."  ‘Must be because of the Wall.’

--------------------

A short while later Rakka brought over a bed tray of food for Ikari.

"Can you eat it yourself, or do I need to feed you?" she asked as she set the tray down in front of him.

"I think I can manage," Ikari answered as he picked up the spoon, only to have most of its contents fall back into the bowl when his hand started to shake.

"Maybe I should help you after all," Rakka observed.

"No, that’s alright."

"If I don’t help, you’re going to be wearing more of that porridge than you’re going to in your mouth."

Ikari’s shoulders slumped a little.  "I guess you’re right."

"Don’t be embarrassed," Rakka told him as she dipped the spoon back into the porridge.  "Just let yourself be sick."

"I’m really sorry I caused you all such trouble," Ikari said after his first mouthful.

"Forget about that now," Rakka gently admonished him.  "We’re just glad you’re going to be alright."

She put the spoon down.  "I really thought I was going to find you dead when I came in here this morning."

"Rei saved me I think."

"How?  Last night you were totally unresponsive to us."

"I… I had this dream where I was about to die.  I think that if I’d died in the dream I’d have died for real… But, just at the last minute, Rei appeared and asked me to come with her… At first I didn’t want to, but then she told me she loved me and then I took her hand."  Ikari smiled.  "The next thing I remember after that was waking up with her sleeping next to me and feeling better."

"She really does love you, you know."

Ikari shook his head.  "How can she possibly love someone like me?"

"I bet she asks herself the same thing about you."

"What do you mean?"

Rakka held up another spoonful for Ikari to eat.  "You love her, don’t you?" she asked as he took it.

He looked away with a blush.  "I… I guess I do."

"She’s just like you.  She doesn’t think you could love her either."

"But…"

"I know you’ve heard this before, but you two have got to tell each other how you feel."

Ikari’s blush intensified.  "I’ve wanted to… but I’m scared."

Rakka nodded.  "I guess it’s pretty daunting to lay your emotions bare like that to another person."

--------------------

Rakka was pleased a few hours later when Ikari proved able to eat his lunch by himself.  She was cleaning up her own dishes when Seika came skipping into the room.

"Oh, you’re better!" she said to Ikari as she bounded onto the bed next to him.

"Yeah, thanks to Rei and Rakka."

"I am so glad!  You were really out of it yesterday."

"You seem awfully cheerful," Rakka interjected.

"Yep!  I got a job today!"

"That’s great!  Where?"

"At that pub near Hikari’s bakery."

Rakka made a face.  "That dump?"

"Aw, come on!  The owners are really nice."

"What do you have to do there?" Ikari asked.

"Well, in the morning I have to help clean up from the night before and help get things ready for the lunch crowd.  Then I have to wait on tables and stuff, and then help them get ready for serving dinner."

Rakka shook her head as she went back about her business.  "A Haibane waitress…"

"Oh, by the way," Seika then said as she produced a sheet of paper.  "This was tacked up on the bulletin board by the gate.  It’s for you, Ikari."

He frowned as Seika handed it to him.

"It’s from the Haibane Renmei, isn’t it?" Rakka asked as he read it.

"Yeah," Ikari said unhappily.  "It says I have to be at the Temple tomorrow morning by 9 o’clock.  They also want Rei and you to come too."

Rakka sighed.  She knew that whatever the Communicator had in store for Ikari, it would not be pleasant.

--------------------

Later that afternoon, Seika helped Rakka hang Ikari’s now-cleaned clothes out to dry.

"We’ve got to do something about Ikari and Rei," she said.

"I guess we do," the elder Feather replied.  "They both seem unable to tell the other about their feelings… I guess they’re both too shy or something."

"Or too hurt."

Rakka nodded at Seika’s perceptive comment.  ‘Yes…  Rei certainly is emotionally damaged.  I suppose Ikari could be too if they were in the same situation together before they got here.’

"It’s called the ‘Hedgehog’s Dilemma’, isn’t it?" the New Feather asked.

Rakka snickered.  "Yeah, I think I’ve heard that term before.  It certainly applies to them, doesn’t it?"

Seika crossed her arms with a huff, and furrowed her brow in concentration.  "Got to do something," she muttered.

A few moments later she smiled.  "I think I’ve got an idea."

--------------------

Rakka’s happy mood soured considerably when she returned to the guestroom.  She scowled when she saw that the medicine she had put on Ikari’s wings after lunch seemed to have had no effect.

"Are your wings dry?" she asked.

"Yeah.  Why?"

"They’re still all black."

"What?"

Rakka plucked a black feather from one of Ikari’s wings and sighed sadly as she watched it slowly turn grey in her hand.

"This must be because you challenged the Wall," she concluded.  "The medicine doesn’t seem to work for you anymore."

"So now I have to go around with my wings looking like this?" Ikari asked in alarm.

"It would appear so."

--------------------

"Is there nothing else we can try?" Rei asked after hearing the news about Ikari’s wings at dinner that night.

"I don’t think so," Rakka replied.  "At least there’s nothing else that I know of."

"How about bleach?" Kana asked.

"But that would make his wings white," Seika observed.

"That would be strange in and of itself," Hikari pointed out.

"But it would be better than having wings that look like they’re rotting away!" Kana persisted.

Her own experience in mind, Rakka decided she had heard enough.  "How would you like someone to bleach your wings?" she asked her sisters pointedly.

Kana made a face.  "Okay… Guess that wasn’t such a hot idea."

Silence settled around the table for the rest of the meal.

--------------------

"Rei, why don’t you take Ikari out on the terrace and get him some fresh air," Rakka suggested after dinner.

"Would you like that, Brother?" she asked him.

He nodded.  "I think it sounds great!"

Neither of them noticed Rakka wink at Seika as they headed outside, Ikari leaning one hand on Rei’s shoulder for support.

"Do you think you will be well enough to go to the Temple tomorrow morning?" Rei asked as they both leaned on the balcony railing.

"I think so.  I’m feeling stronger all the time.  A good night’s sleep should do the trick."

"I am glad to hear you say that."  Rei said and then looked up at the moon.  "It is quite pleasant out here this evening."

"It won’t be too much longer before winter sets in, though, I bet."

"I believe you are probably correct…  And then soon after that it will have been a year since I was banished from Glie," Rei said sadly.

"You should ask the Communicator to end that.  You’ve become such a great Haibane that you deserve it."

"It is not a question of punishment, as you well know."

"I know, but it’s been this long and nothing has happened.  It must be alright for you to come back into town again by now."

Rei nodded.  "I would like to think that you are right.  I will ask the Communicator about it soon...  perhaps even tomorrow."

At that moment Rakka, Kana and Hikari came out into the courtyard and waved.  "See you two in a while," Rakka said.  "We’re going for a little walk."

"Now, Seika!" shouted Kana.

Behind them Rei and Shinji heard the door out to the balcony shut and saw Seika throw the bolt locking it.

Rei turned back around.  "Why are you…"

"It was Seika’s idea," Rakka shouted as the trio headed for the gate.  "She’s not going to let you out until you both finally confess!"

Rei and Shinji looked at each other.  "Confess?" Rei asked.  "Do you have something you wish to confess to me, Brother?"

Shinji blushed and nodded.  "Do you have something to confess to me?"

Rei too blushed.  "I…"

She looked into the guestroom at Seika, who mouthed the words "Go for it!" at her.

Rei sighed with resignation.  ‘This is not how I wanted to do this… But then, left to myself I seem incapable of doing it at all.’

"I do not know what to say, Brother."

"I think I do," Ikari answered.

She looked at him questioningly.  "Oh?"

"Rei…  I…  I think I lo…"

"I love you."

Both of them stared at the other, scarcely believing what they had just heard.

"You l-love m-me?" Ikari finally sputtered.

Rei nodded shyly.  "And you… love me?" she asked hesitantly.

"Yes!  You’re more important to me than anything."

Rei abruptly turned away from him.

"Did I say something wrong?" he asked, almost panicking.

Rei turned back to him, tears in her eyes.  "No…  I…  I just did not want you to see me cry."

He put his hands on her shoulders.  "Rei…  I’m sorry if I’ve…"

"Don’t be," she said.  "It is just that I have never cried because I am happy before."

"You’re happy?"

"Happier than I have ever been," Rei answered as she tentatively put her arms around him and rested her head on his shoulder.  ‘I have wanted to do this for so long.’

She sighed contentedly as he gingerly returned her embrace.

‘This feels so very right,’ Rei concluded as a tear ran down her cheek.

She looked back up at him, his eyes immediately focusing on hers.  Ever so slowly he lowered his head until their lips just barely touched.

"Yes!" they heard Seika exclaim with a pump of her fist.

--------------------

Later that night, in her bed in the girls’ dorm room, Rei found herself staring at the ceiling. 

‘I have been lying here for some time.  Why can I not sleep?’

The answer was not long in coming to her.  ‘My mind is racing…  One moment I can think of nothing besides how it felt to hear those words from Ikari…  He loves me!  And the next moment I am filled with dread at the prospect of what may happen to him at the Temple tomorrow.’

Eventually Rei glanced over at Hana sleeping peacefully and, with a sigh, she got up to look out the window.  She gazed into the moonlit courtyard and thought of how it had felt to be in Ikari’s arms, and of their brief, tentative kiss.

A small smile graced her face and she turned and headed for the East Tower.

There, in his own bed, Ikari was also finding sleep elusive for much the same reasons as Rei.

He too was looking up at the ceiling when he heard his door opening quietly and saw a small golden glow from the corner of his eye.

He turned his head to see Rei standing before him in her nightshirt.

"Rei?"

"I could not sleep."

"Neither can I."

"I am not surprised," she answered and then slid into the bed next to him.

"Rei?" he again asked, this time with some alarm.

She put an arm around him and laid her head on his shoulder.

"I found being with you like this last night very… restful.  I was hoping that being next to you now would again help me sleep."

Ikari smiled and hugged her closer to him.  "Okay…  I’m glad you’re here."

He gave the top of her head a small kiss.  "I love you."

She smiled.  "I love you as well."

Soon they were both sleeping soundly.

--------------------

"Are you sure you will be able to make it to the Temple and back?" Rei again asked Ikari the next morning as they stood with the others at the south gate.

"I think I can," he answered.  "Just like I thought I would, I feel a lot better than I did even last night."

"Maybe you should take my bike along," Hikari suggested.  "If Ikari gets tired he can just hop on with one of you."

"But what will you do?" Rei asked.

"Hikari can ride into town with me," Kana answered as she started her scooter.

"See you all!" Seika called out with a wave as everyone started on their way.  "Don’t forget to bring something back for dinner!"

Rakka shook her head with a smile.  "Suddenly it’s all about running the kitchen with her…  Guess she wants to get in some practice before she starts work."

"She also said something at breakfast about picking a room of her own today," mentioned Rei.

"Yep.  Then she’ll be a full-fledged Haibane!"

Rakka and Rei continued their back and forth for a few moments until Rei looked over at Ikari.

"You look so sad, my love," she said to him.

"I’m not looking forward to seeing the Communicator."

Rei nodded.  "I am also filled with apprehension."  Rei turned to Rakka.  "What is the likely outcome of this meeting?"

"I really don’t know, but all that happened to Hyouko and Reki was that they had their movements restricted so that they couldn’t be together anymore."

"Could that happen to Ikari and I?" Rei asked in obvious alarm.

Rakka shook her head.  "I don’t think so.  You didn’t try to get over the Wall with him."

"But I am partially to blame for you trying, am I not?" Rei asked Ikari sadly.

"No!  It was all my doing!"

Rei sighed.  "We shall see what the Communicator thinks."

--------------------

Rei and Rakka waited impatiently outside the Temple’s doors for Ikari to return from his meeting with the Communicator.

They were actually surprised how soon the doors opened and he emerged.

"That was quick," Rakka remarked.

"Are you alright?" Rei asked, noting that her beloved’s face seemed unexpectedly serene.

Ikari nodded.  "I’m fine.  This was a lot less than I expected."

"So what did he have to say?" Rakka asked.

"I have to go to jail."

"What?" both Rakka and Rei exclaimed in shock.

"He said that since I stole the stuff I used to climb the Wall I have to be treated like any other criminal… Then he added that the other part of my punishment would be that I would have to work off the cost of the things I stole."

"How can you do both things at once?" Rakka asked.

"Well, starting today I’m going to live at the town jail.  After breakfast there I’m to go to work at the music store as usual.  Then, I’m to go back to the jail for lunch and then go to the construction site I took the tools from to work for the afternoon.  Then it’s back to the jail for dinner and sleep.  On Sundays I’m to spend the whole day in my cell."

Rei could not help looking downcast.  "And how long is your sentence to be?"

"Until I have worked off the value of what I stole, or three months, whichever is longer."

"Three months?" Rakka asked in alarm.

"I’m allowed one visitor each Sunday, otherwise I’m to have no contact with any Haibane, including letters."

"But I cannot come to Glie to see you," Rei said morosely.  She looked up at Ikari with determination.  "I will ask the Communicator to allow me back into Glie immediately!"

"Just don’t do anything foolish if he says ‘no’, my love."

Rei pulled him into a hug.  "I promise I will not."

Again they kissed briefly as Rakka blushed furiously behind them.

"I’ll take Hikari’s bike into town and return it to her," Ikari said.  "It’s almost all downhill so I should have no trouble."

"I will miss you," Rei said, once again fighting back tears.

"And I’ll miss you," he answered as he climbed on the bike.

"Before you go," Rakka then interjected.  "Did he say anything about your wings?"

"He said that I’m not allowed to cover them except when it gets cold.  He told me it’s my ‘mark’ from now on."

"Then when you come back to Old Home we’ll have to do everything we can to free you from being sin-bound as soon as possible!"

Ikari smiled sadly.  "Yeah, I suppose so."  He turned to Rei again.  "I guess it’s time to say goodbye."

He leaned over and kissed her once more.  "See you soon."

"Take care, my love."

Rakka came over and put her arm around Rei’s shoulders as Ikari rode away.

--------------------

Reki stood, her head bowed, to hear the judgment against her.

Around her, in a circle, a dozen other Guardians stood, their currently flameless swords drawn at their sides.

If her sentence removed her from their ranks Reki knew that the others would raise and light their swords and then, as one, drive them into her body, freeing her soul for its return to Gehinnom and its punishment.

The senior Guardian stepped through the ring and stood in front of her.  "Are you prepared to hear of your fate?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Do you have anything you wish to say to the others?"

"Only that I did what I thought was right in my heart."

"Very well then," the leader said solemnly.  "Father has decided that because your motives were completely pure, you are not to be punished any further and are now to be fully restored to your duties."

Reki released the breath she had been holding and struggled to stay standing as her knees threatened to give way.

"B-But I broke the L-Law of the Wall."

"There are higher laws.  You chose correctly and selflessly which one to break...  It is not often that an act by a single Guardian saves an entire sentient race."

The other Guardians applauded as Reki’s wings reappeared.

--------------------

Both Rei and Rakka were surprised when their meeting with the Communicator amounted to nothing more than a series of questions about their treatment of Ikari for Wall sickness.

"Is there anything you wish to ask of me?" the Communicator inquired once he had completed his queries.

"I would like to be freed from my movement restrictions," Rei said, getting right to the point.

The Communicator shook his head.  "No.  The time is not yet right."

"Why not?" she asked firmly.

The Communicator turned to Rakka.  "This is not a conversation for your ears.  Leave us."

"Rakka knows the truth about me."

"Oh?" the Communicator asked in surprise.  "And why is that?"

"She guessed it herself… and I could not bring myself to lie to her any further when she confronted me."

"I see…  And how did you manage to discern Rei’s special nature?" he asked Rakka.

"I-I saw her use her abilities when Ikari fell from the Wall," Rakka admitted.  "Figuring out the rest of what happened last winter wasn’t hard after that."

"You were told not to use your powers," the Communicator said sternly to Rei.

Before Rei could say anything, Rakka asked, "Would you rather it if she’d let Ikari die from the fall?"

"No," the Communicator confessed.  "I suppose there was therefore no avoiding what happened."

"So are you going to punish Rei?" Rakka asked, her tone making her view on the matter clear.

Again the Communicator shook his head.  "No.  That would serve no purpose in this case.  But you must promise to not tell anyone else yourself."

"I will not tell anyone else."

"Very well then." 

The Communicator turned his attention back to Rei.  "I can see that lifting your restrictions would mean a great deal to you, young Feather, but we are still concerned what might happen if you were to venture into Glie once again.  It has not even been a year since you were attacked…  It might not seem that way to you, but a year is not a very long time."

"But I wish to visit Ikari," Rei said almost pleadingly.

"Not being able to see you is part of his punishment."

"But is that not also punishing me?"

The Communicator sighed.  "Yes, unfortunately, it is.  But knowing that he is causing you pain is another part of your Brother Feather’s punishment."

For Rei the walk back to Old Home seemed interminable.

--------------------

"Are you going to be alright?" Rakka asked her that evening as they left the guestroom after dinner.

"No, but I will manage."

"I feel so sorry for you."

"Why?"

"Well, you and Ikari finally managed to admit your feelings to each other and then he immediately gets snatched away from you completely."

Rei nodded.  "Not being able to see him will be very hard."

"We’re all here for you, you know."

Rei smiled slightly.  "Yes, I do know.  That is the only thing that makes it tolerable."

Rakka pulled her friend into an embrace.  "I know it’s not the same, but while he’s gone you can have all the hugs you want from me."

--------------------

Three days later the Communicator learned that Rei was not the only Haibane troubled by his punishment of Ikari.

"How could you do something like that?" Midori railed at him.

"Though I appreciate your concern for a member of your Nest," he answered.  "Ikari’s actions gave me little choice in the matter."

"I can’t believe he tried to climb the Wall," she seethed.

"You should be happy that he survived the ordeal."

"I am," she said, somewhat chastened.

"Were it not for the efforts of Rakka and Rei, he would not have.  You owe them your thanks."

Hearing Rei’s name set Midori off like a firecracker.  "Rei?  Thank her?  Never!  She’s a monster!  She’s to blame for this!"

"No one besides Ikari is to blame for his actions."

"How can you say that?" she asked incredulously.  "She’s not even a real Haibane!  You should banish her beyond the Wall!"

"Rei is just as much a Haibane as you or any other Feather," the Communicator said firmly.  "You would be wise to put these black thoughts out of your head."

"But I’ve seen that she’s not a true Haibane!  And how else could she have hurt a human like she did?"

"There is no reasoning with you when you are like this," the Communicator said as he turned away.  "You are dismissed."

As she left, Midori sighed as the Temple doors closed behind her.  Then a look of determination came over her face.  "I will find out what you are, you blue-haired bitch," she said under her breath.  ‘And then I’ll make you pay for what you've done to Ikari…  The first thing I have to do is find out the truth about what happened last winter.’

--------------------

One afternoon a month later, Seika was busy returning to the pub kitchen after taking drinks to tables during her second week at her job when she overheard someone sitting at the bar talking about her.

"Since when do you have one of them working here?" a burly young man asked to the owner, a balding man in his fifties.

The owner scowled.  "You leave her be.  I don’t want any trouble from you just because you don’t like her kind."

As Seika went by, the man suddenly turned and grabbed her by the arm roughly.  "What’s your name, little girl?" he asked with a sneer as he squeezed her arm tightly.

Without thinking Seika glared at him and quickly swung the tray she was holding around, smacking her assailant hard upside the head.

"Don’t you touch me," she snarled in a low menacing voice.

Then, suddenly realizing what she had done, she blanched.  "Oh, my God!  I’m so sorry!"

"Don’t be, Seika," the owner said with a grin, as several of the men sitting at the bar burst out laughing.  "Ijime is nothing but trouble."

He turned to the man, who was now rubbing the side of his head.  "You pull something like that again and it will be the last time you ever set foot in here!" he said sternly.  "You all right?" he asked Seika.

"Yes," she said sheepishly.

"Don’t fret about him," one of the old men sitting at the bar said to her.  "Ijime is still mad that a Haibane girl smashed his hand up last winter when he tried to bully her."

Seika did her best to hide her shock.  "Serves him right!" she said with a huff as she turned on her heels and headed back to the kitchen.  ‘I wonder who it could’ve been?’ she thought as she walked away.  ‘Who could have done something like that to someone like him?’

"She’s a spirited one, ain’t she?" the owner asked as the men at the bar all laughed again.

--------------------

A week later, Seika once again got an unpleasant surprise when she found Ijime sitting at one of her tables.

"Can I get you anything?" she managed to ask evenly, even as she gripped her tray firmly, ready to again swing it at him if necessary.

"I’d like an ale," he said with a phony smile.  "And I’d like you to tell me a few things."

"Like what?"

"Like where that blue-haired Haibane has gone to?"

"You mean Rei?"

"Oh, is that her name?"

Seika suddenly got the feeling she had already said far too much.  "I-I’ll be r-right back with your drink."

"Does she live with you?" he asked when she returned.

"Who?"

"Don’t play smart with me.  You know who I mean.  And just where do you live anyway?  Old Home?  The Factory?"

"That’s none of your business, human," she answered sharply.  "I suggest you stop with your questions, or do you want me to tell the owner you’re bothering me again?"

Ijime chuckled.  "Yep, you’re a fiery one alright, Seika."

She scoffed.  "You have no idea," she said and walked away. 

He smiled and took a sip of his ale. 

A few minutes later both Seika and he noticed when the pub’s door opened and another Haibane walked in.

‘I wonder who she is?’ Seika asked herself.  ‘Must be from the Factory.’

Midori surveyed the room.  "I’ve heard that I can find Ijime here.  Are any of you him?"

--------------------

Author’s Notes:

God, this chapter was like pulling teeth.  I don’t know why but it was very hard to write.  Things went much more smoothly once I took a break to write the first chapter of Neon Genesis Claymore though.

There seems to be a general consensus among fanfic writers that Rei sleeps nude.  I would have followed this convention except that, plot-wise, having her wear a nightshirt was easier.  Besides, the only Gainax art I know of showing Rei sleeping shows her in a men's dress shirt and panties.

So, Rei’s assailant reappears.  As for his name, Ijime, it’s from the Japanese word for bully, ijimekko.

Once again we get a flash of Seika the street urchin.  She's not someone to mess with.

I sort of feel guilty for making Midori into something of a baddie in this story.  She's only trying to protect someone in her Nest.  Oh well.  The road to Hell is paved with good intentions and all that.