Haibane Renmei Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ Rei-Bane ❯ Chapter 14: Homecoming / Rakka Interruptus / Absolution ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Chapter Version 1.0

Do not post this to the Internet without my written permission.

Please give me feedback: DeadGuyKai@pobox.com

-------------------- Rei-Bane:  Chapter 14:  Homecoming / Rakka Interruptus / Absolution

Rei sat in the guestroom drinking a cup of tea as she watched the light snow falling outside the window on a blustery Sunday.  She still had very mixed feelings about snow.  ‘It is pretty, but it is unpleasantly cold,’ she thought as she took another warming sip.

The slamming of the outside door and the stamping of snow-covered boots announced the arrival of one of her housemates downstairs.  A minute later Rakka came into the room and draped her soggy coat, wing covers and hat on the radiator to dry.

"You look displeased," Rei said.  "I was not expecting you back for another half an hour at the earliest."

"I didn’t get to see Ikari," Rakka said sourly.  "Midori got there before me, so I just came straight back."

"This is the second time she has done that."

"Yeah, she got to the jail before Hikari two weeks ago too."

"I hope she did not harangue him again."

"Don’t take what Seika said about what Ikari told her last week too seriously.  You know she likes to over-dramatize things."

"Perhaps, but Midori is quite temperamental, particularly of late it seems," Rei answered, her concern clear in her voice.

"Maybe she’s still shook up about Hyouko," Rakka opined.  "It’s only been three weeks since he left the Nest.  I know that suddenly becoming the senior Haibane in Glie would unnerve me."

Rei nodded, but her face still betrayed her anxiety.

"I’m sorry," Rakka felt compelled to say.  "I should have gone sooner."

"It is alright.  You did what you could.  I am sure Kana will get to see him next week."

Rakka nodded and then headed over to the kitchen to get some tea.  She looked back over at Rei as she took her first taste.  "He’ll be back soon," she said encouragingly.

"Yes…  The time has passed surprisingly quickly so far.  However, I find my anticipation of his return is causing that to be the case less and less each day."

"Yeah, I guess the last few days will seem to really drag by."

"I will have to endeavor to keep myself as busy as possible in the mean time."

--------------------

It turned out that Seika’s description had not been far off the mark after all.

"You can’t go back to Old Home, Ikari!" Midori said to him pointedly as she sat outside his cell.  "I need you at the Factory!  With Hyouko gone you’re the oldest male Haibane now." 

"What do you mean?" he responded, his voice also somewhat raised.  "I’m the youngest male Haibane… If it wasn’t for Seika, I’d be the youngest senior Haibane period!"

"It’s true that you were the last male to be born here, but, just looking at you; it’s clear that you’re older than the others…  You’re probably even older than me!  That’s why I need you back at the Factory.  You have to help me with the other boys."

"What about Dai?  He’s been here longer than anyone at the Factory besides you now."

"But Dai started out as a Little Feather.  He can’t command the respect that you can."

"But no one is going to respect me when my wings look like this, or after everything that’s happened!"

"That’s also why you have to come back to the Factory.  Staying at Old Home is bad for you!"

"You mean Rei is bad for me, don’t you?"

"Yes, of course, I mean that!  She’s why you’re sin-bound!  She’s a demon!"

"How can you say things like that?"

"I’ve seen it, Ikari!  I’ve seen her glowing eyes for myself.  She’s not one of us!"

"You’re imagining things!"

"And I’ve talked to that guy whose hand she broke."

"What?"

"He told me everything…  She’s a not a Haibane at all!  She’s a monster!  She should be banished beyond the Wall before she brings another disaster like your wings down on us."

"You’re talking nonsense."

"You need to stay away from her."

"It’s none of your business!"

"I’m the leader of the Factory Haibane.  That makes it my business.  In fact, I’m going to see the Communicator again and plead with him, again, to banish that blue-haired thing…  And, failing that, I’m going to at least get him to order you to stay away from her."

Ikari sighed.  ‘This is just like the first time she visited.’

--------------------

"I have decided to move back to my room in the East Tower," Rei announced that night at dinner.

"About time!" Kana exclaimed.

"I agree," Hikari added.  "I hate being the only one living in the Tower."

"You want to be closer to Ikari when he comes back?" asked Seika.

"That is correct," Rei replied.

"I don’t see how you can stand living with those brats anyway," Kana remarked jokingly.

"I have enjoyed living with them.  I will miss it."

"Don’t take Kana seriously, Rei," Rakka advised.  "We all know how much those kids mean to you."

"So when will you be moving back?" Hikari asked slightly anxiously.

"I think I will move back the Sunday before Ikari returns."

Hikari frowned.  "That’s three weeks from now."

--------------------

After dinner Rakka sat back and listened to her sisters discuss and sometimes debate matters of concern for the day-to-day running of Old Home.

She noticed that, as had been happening with increasing frequency in that last few weeks, they were all deferring more and more to Rei’s judgment.  This was not surprising when the topic was something that had to do with the Little Feathers, such as when Hana should be moved up to join her elders, but it also extended into discussions of things like building repairs, that were previously Kana’s domain, and household areas that Hikari’s opinions had held sway over.

It seemed that everyone had learned to value Rei’s insightful reasoning and levelheadedness.

After the discussion had broken up and everyone else had left, Rakka came over to help Rei clear away the remaining dinner dishes.  "I’m really proud of you," she said to her friend.  "You’ve come so very far."

"Do you really think so?" Rei asked as she colored slightly.

"You know you’re practically the boss of Old Home now, don’t you?"

"I would not say that in the slightest."

"You just don’t notice the way everyone listens to you opinions, but you’re getting to be a lot like Nemu."

Rei actually looked displeased with Rakka’s words.  "Please do not judge me against her.  In no way do I merit such comparisons."

"Nemu said the same sort of thing about being compared to Reki, who said the same thing about being compared to Kuramori."

"That may be, but I have a very long way to go before I could ever be compared favorably to any of them."

Rakka smiled.  "You’ve changed again."

"How do you mean?"

"Something’s happened these last two months.  I thought Ikari’s being gone would have weighed on you more than it seems to have.  You seem to have completely recovered from everything that was bothering you, and then some."

Rei nodded.  "The thought that Ikari will be returning to me buoys me.  Knowing he loves me gives me strength."

"You’ve always been strong, you know."

"I have also come to realize something very important."

"Oh?  What?"

"My heart is no longer empty.  I am no longer empty."

Rakka threw her arms around Rei and gave her a big hug.  "It’s so wonderful to hear you finally say that!"

"I understand now that I should have realized it much sooner.  The Little Feathers, my friends… my love…  Between all of you I have as full a life as anyone could ever want." 

Happy tears came to Rakka’s eyes.  "This doesn’t mean you’re going to leave us, now, does it?" she asked with a smile.

Instead of returning the smile, Rei’s expression became serious.  "No…  I still have not found the true meaning of my name."  Her face brightened.  "But now, for the first time, I truly feel confident that I will."

--------------------

"Damn, it’s freezing!" Kana exclaimed.  "Trust Ikari to get released on the coldest day so far this winter."

"You didn’t have to come, you know," Hikari replied jokingly.

"Yeah!" Seika chimed in.  "You could be sitting snug and warm back at Old Home right now!"

"Geez," Kana groused.  "You know that wouldn’t have been right.  We’ve all supported him this long.  It would look bad if I didn’t come down here with you two."

Hikari laughed heartily at her friend.  "My, my, how your attitude has changed."

"So, he’s getting out at three o’clock, right?" Seika asked as she looked up at the jail’s small but imposing façade.

"Yep," Kana replied as she flipped open her prized pocket watch.  "That’s in five minutes."

The trio chatted happily until another group of Haibane turned the corner next to the jail.

"Oh, shit," Kana grumbled.  "Here comes Midori."

"Try to put on a brave face," Hikari advised quietly and then waved to the newcomers with a smile.  "Hi!  Have you come to see Ikari too?"

"You know exactly why we’re here!" Midori declared sharply.

"Midori!  Be nice!" Dai implored.

"Ikari’s coming back with us!" she continued.

Kana scowled.  "And just what makes you think that?" she asked snidely.

"I think I’ve been pretty persuasive asking him to come back…  And if he still has doubts I’m sure seeing these boys here will put them to rest for him."

"You shouldn’t make him have to choose between his friends!" Seika said.  "It’s not fair to him."

"Well, if you bunch don’t like it, you can just leave now."

Kana turned her back on the Factory Haibane.  "Damn, she’s really being a bitch today," she muttered.

"Well, we’ve got something they’ll never have," Hikari whispered.

"Yeah," Seika replied softly.  "We’ve got Rei."

"You’re right, though," said Hikari.  "Making him choose between the Factory and Old Home like this is wrong.  It’s not a contest."

"But it is his free choice," Kana reminded her.

Moments later all eyes turned to the jail door, as it swung open with a loud creak.

"H-Hi, everyone," Ikari said shyly as he stepped out into the cold sunshine.

Both groups of Haibane broke into cheers and applause.

"Thanks, everybody, for coming to meet me like this," Ikari said as he walked over to the Old Home Haibane.

"So, you’re going to go with them even after everything I said?" Midori asked.

"Come back to the Factory with us!  We need you!" implored Dai, causing the other boys to nod their heads in agreement. 

Ikari shook his head.  "Sorry, guys, but I’ve got someone waiting for me back at Old Home.  I’ll come visit you real soon.  I promise."

Midori glowered.  "Mark my words, Ikari.  You’ll be sorry you stayed with her."  She turned and started walking off.  "Come on, guys, let’s go home and get warm."

The Old Home Haibane quickly surrounded Ikari and gave him a group hug.

"Let’s get you home!" Hikari said happily.  "Seika’s promised us she’ll cook up a big pot of the mulled cider she’s learned to make at work to celebrate your homecoming."

--------------------

"You going to be okay, Rei?" Rakka asked as they headed out of Old Home.

"Why would I not be?"

"Oh, I don’t know," Rakka answered mischievously.  "You look like you might just float away."

Rei smiled.  "Do I seem that happy?"

"Yep.  Like you’re walking on air."

"The feeling I have inside is…  It is indescribable."

Rakka skipped merrily around her friend.  "Today’s the big day!"

"You seem almost as happy as I am."

"We’re all pretty happy.  We’ve all missed him."

"I am so glad that everyone at Old Home has become his friend…  It means a great deal to me."

"And we’re all happy for you, too.  We know how hard his being gone has been for you."

Rei’s eyes began to tear up.

"No!  No!  None of that now!" Rakka teased.  "You’ve got to be all smiles for your boyfriend!"

--------------------

"So, how’s living in your old room again?" Rakka asked as they came to the bridge over the stream.

"It is almost too quiet," Rei answered.  "I can see why living with the entire Tower to herself has bothered Hikari."  Her expression became thoughtful.  "It has been over a year now, since I last crossed this bridge."

"Hopefully you’ll be allowed back in Glie soon."

Rei nodded.  "I would very much like to visit this ‘pub’ you have all come to like so much."

"Yeah, I always thought it was a dump from how it looked from the outside; but Seika was right, the people there are nice and the food is good and cheap."

"Seika was so pleased when they hung the Haibane sign by the door during the New Year’s festival."

Rakka chuckled.  "Of course she was pleased.  The Communicator was against allowing Haibane to visit there because they serve alcohol, which we’re not allowed to have.  I’m still surprised he let her work there in the first place.  But she begged and pleaded for him to let them put up a sign…  In the end I think he gave in just to get rid of her."

Rei smiled.  "He probably thought the job was a good fit for her personality."

Rakka laughed.  "I think you hit the nail right on the head, there."

"What time is it?" Rei then asked nervously.

Rakka looked at her watch.  "About twenty past.  They should be here soon…  So do you have any special plans for this reunion?"

"No, not really.  All I have thought about is seeing him again."  ‘Except, perhaps, for tonight.’

A few minutes later they saw a group of Haibane come over the top of the hill that led down to Glie.

"There they are!" Rakka exclaimed.

Rei stood rooted to her spot at the foot of the bridge as they approached.  After what seemed like an eternity to her, Ikari came to the opposite side, where he stopped and put down the duffle he was carrying.

"R-Rei."

"Beloved."

They stood and gazed at each other for a moment, until Kana smacked Ikari on the back.  "She’s not allowed to cross the bridge to you, you know!  If you just keep standing there she’ll think you don’t want her!"

Everyone clapped and cheered when Ikari dashed across and swept Rei up in his arms.

"A kiss!  A kiss!  A kiss!" Seika, Hikari and Kana chanted.

More cheers erupted when the blushing couple obliged.

--------------------

"Your hands feel different," Rei commented that night, as Ikari and she came up the East Tower stairs hand-in-hand after walking through the underground passages from the West Wing.

"Oh?"

"They are rougher now."

"I guess that’s from all the construction work…  It was pretty hard."

"Did they treat you well?"

"They teased me a bit at first because I wasn’t really strong enough to do some of the things they assigned me to do, but, yeah, they were good to me right from the start."

"I am glad," Rei said as they came to the ground floor and stopped.

Ikari traced a finger down Rei’s cheek.  "They aren’t too rough now, are they?"

"No…  And your touch is just as gentle and caring as always."

He put his arms around her and gave her a squeeze.  "I think I’m a bit stronger now, too."

Rei smiled.  "I have always felt secure in your arms, beloved."  ‘Even before we came to Glie.’

Arm in arm, they walked over to the door to Ikari’s room.

"I would like you to spend tonight with me in my room," Rei requested.  "My bed is a little bigger than yours and should therefore be more comfortable for us to sleep in together."

"Okay.  I’ll change and then come over," Ikari responded before giving Rei a light kiss.  "See you in a minute."

Rei sighed as she walked back to her room, and a shiver ran through her.  ‘Courage…  I must overcome my doubts.’

Once inside she quickly stripped and then slipped on her nightshirt.  A short while later a soft knock announced Ikari’s arrival.

"Come in, my love."

"Hey," he said shyly as he closed the door behind him.

Rei turned away from him as a blush spread across her cheeks.

‘I can do this,’ she said to herself.  ‘I must keep pushing beyond my fears and limitations, and embrace my feelings wholeheartedly…  I have desired this for so long."

With a slight nod of her head Rei reaffirmed her commitment to act.

"Is everything alright, Rei?" Ikari asked and started towards her.  Moments later he gasped when Rei turned back to him and he saw that she had unbuttoned her nightshirt.  "R-Rei?"

She walked up to him, her eyes never leaving his, and, with a flick of her wings, she sent her shirt sliding off her shoulders and onto the floor.  She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him wantonly.

"Welcome home, my love."

--------------------

After breakfast the next morning Rakka headed over to the East Tower.  ‘It’s not like Rei or Ikari to miss a meal.  I hope they haven’t overslept.  They’ve got to get to work.’

She lightly knocked on Ikari’s door and then cracked it open when she got no answer.  ‘Hmmm…  He’s not here.  I wonder if they went for a walk together or something.’

She proceeded down the hall to Rei’s room and knocked.  Again she stuck her head in the door when there was no answer.  Her jaw dropped when she saw who was asleep next to Rei.

"Do not say anything," Rei whispered.  "I do not want to wake him."

Rakka turned deep red as Rei carefully slipped out of bed, revealing that she was completely nude.  Rei then grabbed a towel and her wing covers, and headed out into the hallway towards the bathroom for her usual morning shower.

"I’m sorry if I woke you," Rakka said shyly as she followed after her friend.

Rei nodded.  "It is alright.  After all, we overslept…  I suppose that is not surprising.  We were up quite late last night."

"Oh?" Rakka asked and then blanched.  "Rei!  There’s blood on your thigh!"

Rei stopped and looked down.  "Yes, I see.  It could not be helped."

"What do you mean?"

"Unlike Seika, I had an intact hymen."

Rakka could feel her cheeks burning as her eyes went wide.  "You mean?"

"Ikari and I became one last night."

"H-How was i-it?" Rakka asked, her curiosity momentarily overcoming her embarrassment.

"There was a bit of pain at the beginning, and I did not achieve release the first time, but I did the subsequent two."

"You did it three times?"

"Yes.  It was extremely pleasant, and, even though I am sore, I find that I am looking forward to doing it again very much…  In fact, I had been contemplating uniting with Ikari when we awoke, but then you arrived."

Rakka felt as if she might faint.  "Y-You should keep this to yourselves," she managed to advise.  "And whatever you do, don’t let Seika find out!  She’s become quite the little gossip at that pub of hers.  If you tell her then all of Glie will know about it within a week."

Rei smiled.  "I had no intention of telling anyone, except perhaps you, my dearest friend."

Rakka returned the smile.  "I’m really happy for you two."

"So am I," Rei said and then disappeared into the bathroom.

--------------------

"Do you think it was wise to let this development occur?" Reki’s superior asked her.

"I think so, ma’am," she answered deferentially.  "As there is no rule against such relationships between Haibane, I could see no basis for interfering.  Their feelings appear quite genuine and their connection to each other is obviously strong.  And, at least in Feather Rei’s case, those feelings appear to pre-date their being sent to Gehinnom."

The Supervisor nodded.  "I suppose you are right, but what about their being related?"

"Rei is not Feather Ikari’s sister, nor was she raised that way.  Beyond that, in Glie they are both sterile, so their genes from Earth can play no part in their lives now…  They also do not remember how they are linked through his mother.  They are innocent."

"I would hardly call them innocent any longer," the Supervisor quipped, causing Reki to smile.

"Point taken."

As her superior turned to leave Reki added, "I also have to think that having Rei’s love will aid Ikari in dealing with his plight."

"I hope for humanity’s sake you are once again correct in your judgment."

"Love can only help."

--------------------

Ikari stirred when he felt a weight on the bed.  Opening his eyes, he saw Rei drying her hair and looking down at him.

The sight of her bare breasts once again caused him to color.

"Good morning, beloved," she said with a small smile.

"Morning," he answered.

"Is something the matter?"

"Rei…  About last night…"

"Did you not enjoy it?" she asked worriedly.

Memories of their passion flashed through his mind.  "Rei…  I’d never even imagined it was possible to feel the way you made me feel."

Rei smiled anew and then leaned over and kissed him.  "Last night was the most wonderful night of my life.  It was a long held dream come true."

"Really?"

"Yes, really…  And I hope we have many more nights like it together."

Ikari finally smiled back at her.  "Then so do I.  All I want is for you to be happy."

Rei kissed him once more.  "Then make love to me again now."

"B-But we're already really late for work."

"I waited three months for your return.  They can wait a little longer."

--------------------

Several weeks passed and Ikari’s life fell into a new pattern.  He still spent most of his time at Old Home, but, as he had promised, he made sure to spend time at the Factory as well.  In the end he settled on spending Wednesday nights and all of Sunday there.  It was the day after one of these Sunday visits that he made a proposal to Rei.

"I’d like you to come to the Factory with me Wednesday night."

"Why?"

"I want the Haibane there to get to know you better, especially Midori."

Rei made a bit of a face.  "I think she has already made her mind up about me."

"Then just forget about her.  I still want the others to see how special you are."

Rei smiled at the complement but was still hesitant.  "You know that regardless of what the others may think, Midori will not tolerate my presence."

Ikari smiled.  "I knew you’d say that.  But she’s already agreed to have you visit!"

"She has?"

"Yeah, I asked everyone at dinner last night and they all agreed, including her."

"I am still skeptical."

Ikari came over and put his arms around her.  "It’ll be fine.  I know some of them really do want to meet you."

"And you are sure about Midori?"

"Yes!  She agreed!"

"My going there is important to you?"

Ikari nodded.  "Very."

"Then I will."

--------------------

"So she’s agreed to come to the factory?" Ijime asked.

"Yes," Midori answered.

"When should I come?"

"Wednesday.  Six o’clock.  I’ll meet you outside the door."

"I’ll be there."

"Good.  Hopefully your being there to tell everyone about what happened to you will open their eyes about Rei."

Ijime chuckled.  "Oh, I’m sure it'll be an eye opener alright."

--------------------

Wednesday evening as the sun set, Rei walked down to the bridge to meet Ikari as he returned from working at the music shop.  Together they then made their way through snow-covered fields towards the Factory.

"Are you nervous?" he asked.

"I would say I am more uneasy than nervous.  I am sorry, but I do not trust Midori."

"Everything will be fine."

"Are you nervous?"

"A little, but I’m really excited that you’re finally going to meet some of my other friends."

Rei smiled.  "Yes, that will be good."

A short while later they approached the Factory.

"It is larger and older looking than I had imagined," Rei commented.

Ikari chuckled.  "Yeah, I’d forgotten you’d never actually seen it before.  It’s a lot like Old Home in a way.  Most of it is really run down and empty."

"There appear to be people waiting outside for us."

Ikari squinted in the twilight.  "Yeah, I think that’s Midori, but I have no idea who the guy with her is.  He’s not a Haibane."

Rei tensed as they approached the waiting pair.  Something about the man made her particularly anxious.

"Hello, Ikari," Midori said slyly.

"H-Hi.  Who’s this with you?"

"Oh, don’t you remember him?  How about you, Rei?"

"I cannot say that I do," she answered.

"Well, I remember both of you," Ijime said, pulling a metal rod from under his coat.  "And now it’s payback time!"

"Wait!" Midori cried out.  "What are you do…"

A hard punch to the solar plexus knocked her to the ground, where she curled, gasping, into a tight ball.

"You are the one whose hand I broke," Rei said darkly.

"That’s right little girl," Ijime snarled.

Ikari stepped in front of Rei to defend her.

"What are you doing?" she asked.  "You know he cannot hurt me…  Get behind me so I can protect you!"

"But you’re not supposed to use your powers," he reminded her evenly.

"No!" Rei screamed as Ijime swung the rod at Ikari’s head. 

Ikari raised his left arm to shield himself, and the rod came down on it with a sickening wet cracking sound as the ulna bone in his forearm gave way.

Rei’s eyes immediately flared and she sent Ijime flying through the air with a simple pushing motion.

She looked at Midori and Ikari, who were both now on their knees.  "Get him to a doctor," she ordered the elder Haibane.  "And send someone to fetch a constable."

"What about him?" Midori asked as she watched Ijime get back to his feet.

"I will see to him," Rei growled as she knocked him on his back again.

As Midori hurried inside to get help, Rei walked over to Ijime and stood next to his head.  "It was very unwise for you to try to challenge me again," she said.

Ijime tightened his grip on the rod.  "I will kill you," he snarled.

"I think not."

Ijime felt as if an invisible net were suddenly pinning him to the ground.

"That’s it, my daughter," came a voice in Rei’s head.  "Now show the power of your true nature and finish him.  Remember... he tried to kill Ikari."

Rei smiled malevolently as her eyes again flared.  "The other Haibane are just beginning their journeys towards becoming Angels," she said.  "Unfortunately for you, however, I am already halfway there."

Ijime’s eyes went wide with horror as he felt something begin to constrict around his throat.

"Pray I make your death a swift one," Rei told him with horrifying evenness.

"Rei!  Stop!" Ikari shouted from behind her.  "Just hold him down until the constables get here!"

Rei turned her head around as if she had been startled.  "Yes…  Of course, my love."

She looked back down at Ijime.  "You are fortunate he was here to remind me of my human half."

Unseen above them on the roof of the Factory, Reki breathed a sigh of relief.  ‘Now I will not have to intervene…  If only Lilith had extended Rei the same courtesy.’

--------------------

"I’ve never seen anything like this before," Hikari said four days later.  "Have you?"

"No way!" Kana answered.  "I don’t think there’s a Haibane in Glie who’s seen a Banishment."

Seika glanced across the Great Gate Square to where the Haibane from the Factory were standing.  "It looks like all of us are here."

"Orders from the Communicator," Rakka reminded them.  "After all, this guy’s getting banished for trying to kill our kind.  We all have to witness it."

Seika looked away as Ijime was led into the square.  "I can’t believe he’d do something like that," she said.  "I knew he was no good, but still."

Silence fell as the Chief Constable strode to the center of the square and read a proclamation.  "For attempting to kill two Haibane and injuring a third, the punishment is banishment," he finished.

As he stepped away the only sound was the creaking of the Great Gate as it swung open.

--------------------

At that same moment three Haibane were meeting with the Communicator.

"Was banishment necessary?" Rei asked him.

"That is the law of the town of Glie," he told her.  "That is the human’s domain.  It is not our place to interfere with its functioning."

"I’m glad he’s gone," Ikari said, his arm in a cast and a sling.

"As am I," the Communicator admitted.  "As long as he remained here he would have been a threat to the safety of all Haibane."  He then turned his attention to the third Haibane.  "Your punishment, on the other hand, is in the Renmei’s domain."

"I am ready to receive your judgment," Midori said quietly.  "I see now that I was wrong and that I selfishly jeopardized my brothers and sisters."

"Sadly, insight has come too late for you in this instance.  Now you are to…"

"Please don’t punish her," Ikari interrupted.

"Ikari?" Midori asked.

The Communicator nodded.  "Is this your true heartfelt wish?  You have every right to be angry with her."

Ikari shook his head.  "I’ve had my fill of anger and hatred.  I learned the hard way what they can do to you when I tried to climb the Wall…  As long as I’ve known her, Midori has acted with one thing in mind – what is best for the Factory Haibane.  She always tries to protect us…  It’s not her fault that a dishonest thug duped her this time.  We all make mistakes."

"And do you agree with him, Rei?"

"I believe she has learned her lesson.  Therefore, as far as I can see, punishing her serves no useful purpose."

"Very well then, she shall not be punished."

--------------------

"Thank you," Midori said deferentially as they walked through the Temple doorway.  "I don’t deserve your kindness."

"You were only doing what you thought was best," Ikari said.

"I am so very sorry."

"And we forgive you," Rei said.  "We only want to be your friends."

Midori smiled sadly.  "I think I can finally see what Ikari sees in you…  I’d like us to be friends now too."

"What I am no longer troubles you?"

"The Communicator says it is something from your past life.  Who am I to question whether you are now just a Haibane that’s been sent to Glie like the rest of us?  You are my sister."

Ikari and Rei both smiled.

--------------------

"Easy now, beloved," Rei said as she unbuttoned Ikari’s coat for him back at Old Home.  "Your bone has not knitted back together yet.  Sudden movements might bring you pain."

"I feel so helpless."

"It is only for a few weeks.  I will assist you until then."

"Thank you, love."

Rei blushed.  "Turn around so I can take your wing covers off."

"Okay."

A moment later Rei gasped.

"What is it?" Ikari asked worriedly.

"Your wings!  They are grey again!"

"What?"

"You are no longer sin-bound!"

--------------------

Author’s notes:

Over a year later the end of the tale finally approaches.

I’d been looking forward to writing the post-coital Rei/Rakka scene for ages.  It’s been in my head for at least six months.

So what frees Shinji in the end?  Nothing dramatic.  He just has to put his hatred (ikari) aside finally.

Sorry this chapter took so long, but a lot of stuff came up in the real world.  Hopefully the last chapter won’t take too long to write.  I’ve got most of it floating around in my head already.

That’s right.  The next chapter is the last one.