Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening ❯ Motherland ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4:
Motherland
 
 
 
 
At the foot of the mountain, upon which rested the village of Altoria, sat twelve hamsters around a bonfire. They were all happily conversing, each trying their best to keep the thoughts of death out of their minds.
 
“So greenie,” said Stan to Kai. “Where there any cute girl hams in your village? Kai shook his head.
 
“Nope, not in my generation at least,” he said sadly. Suddenly, he froze up, feeling eyes burning a hole in his back. “Except for Cookie of course!” he said quickly.
 
“Alright hams!” yelled Boss. “We've got a long, hard day ahead of us tomorrow, so let's get some shut-eye!” Several Ham-Hams groaned, but none dared to question Boss' authority. Not now at least. Boss smiled, happy that the Ham-Hams were back under his control. Over the past few years, Boss came to realize how much he loved his leadership. Whenever someone (usually Hamtaro) questioned it, he became uneasy. He felt guilty about this, but just couldn't act on the guilt for some reason that he was reluctant to learn. Boss fought off his thoughts, lay down, and did his best to sleep in the tall, damp grass.
 
 
 
 
Hamtaro awoke before the rest of the Ham-Hams full of energy. He shook his friends awake and after about 30 minutes, they hiked up the mountain. The walked for an hour, then turned into a small forest as Kai instructed. Bijou caught up to Hamtaro, who was behind Cow and Kai.
 
“I hope we do not run into trouble,” she said to him.
 
“Don't worry Bijou, we'll be fine,” said Hamtaro. “This can't be any worse then all that stuff with Spat.”
 
“Besides,” said Bijou. “I know you will be there to protect me if anything does happen.” Immediately, she reached out and grabbed his paw. Hamtaro froze in place for a moment and blushed. As he started walking again, he squeezed Bijou's paw, shaking. The Ham-Ham's behind them as stared at them wide eyed save for Boss who looked away. Scoffing, Cookie did the same thing.
 
 
Once the Ham-Ham's exited the forest, they saw themselves in front of a large gate, or at least what had been a gate. The whole thing was completely shattered. Seeing this, Kai's stomach dropped, the voices of the dead ringing in his head.
 
“Ok guy's, we've arrived. Do you all want to rest a bit or… go ahead and sneak in there?'
 
“Let's… just get this thing over with, said Panda shivering. Kai gulped.
 
“Ok… well… here goes nothing, said Kai”
 
“Walking as slowly as a snail through the broken gate, he scanned the village and was surprised to find it empty.
 
“What the hell!?” he yelled.
 
“Is it like, ok?” asked Sandy.
 
“It's… fine,” said Kai. He walked into the abandoned village, shivering. Looking down, he saw spots of blood scattered throughout the path he and the Ham-Hams were walking on. “Everyone, don't look down,” he said. He suddenly stopped and sadly gazed at the remains of a hut. “The destroyed my house,” he mumbled and walked on. His fear was overwhelmingly strong now. (I have to be strong,) he thought. (I have eleven hamsters here to lead. Showing fear must not be making it easier for them.) He kept a sharp lookout for the slightest movement, but saw none. (What the hell could have happened to those guys? Did they just lose interest and leave? Maybe they're all in that cave trying to pry that door open.)
 
Passing the maze of huts, the Ham-Hams came to a narrow road leading into a thin forest.
 
“Alright guys,” Kai said. “The cave is just down this road. Now, we gotta be…”
 
“Wait… wait a moment!” interrupted Cow. “You didn't tell me you were planning to take us into the cave!”
 
“Well,” said Kai shrugging. “I figured I wouldn't have to. I mean what the hell were you expecting us to do? March in and take this place back by force with nine domesticated hamsters?”
 
“Well you can't… do you realize you've violating an age old law!!??” exploded Cow. Don't you remember what the elders said!? Don't you remember the oath you took when you were appointed Chief Guardian?”
 
“Let me ask you something Cow,” Kai said calmly. “Did this law save the villagers from being slaughtered? Did they save Nutmeg, Cookie's husband and your best friend, from getting crucified? No, they didn't!” The anger in Kai's voice was rising. “Here's what I think!” he yelled. “Screw these taboos, screw this village, and screw you! I'm through pretending to give a shit! You hear me!? I'm THROUGH!!. I've spent enough of my time and energy on all this shit!” Unable to contain his anger, Kai socked Cow in the jaw. He fell right to the ground. “If you care so much about these laws, you can stay here and die with them.” Kai turned to face the Ham-Hams, not bothering to look at their faces. “Sorry guys,” he said. “Let's just go.” He turned to the road ahead of him and began to walk along it. The Ham-Hams followed, each taking a quick glance at the silent hamster on the ground.