Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening ❯ Escape ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6:
Escape
 
 
As Kai lifted the lid of the coffin, the Ham-Hams gathered around it, pushing and shoving to get a glimpse of whatever lay within the coffin. As soon as they all saw it, simultaneous gasps shot out of their mouths.
 
 
Within a small hut untouched by the invaders sat the cloaked hamster on a stool, breathing deeply and loudly. The door to the hut suddenly swung open and the hamster jumped up.
 
“Excuse me sir,” said the Knight that had just walked into the hut. “I'm starting to get worried. Kai and his friends haven't come out of that cave yet. Could something have happened?”
 
The cloaked hamster did his best to keep his mind on his task.
 
“Look,” the cloaked hamster sighed. “If you want my plan to succeed, you'll get the hell out of here and let me concentrate. This isn't exactly easy on my mind you know.
 
“What are you talking about?” the Knight asked without a hint of curiosity in his gruff voice. I thought the plan was to ambush Kai once he got out of the cave, kill him, and take whatever he brought from that cave.”
 
“We decided to change the plan awhile ago,” the cloaked hamster said quietly. “Where were you?”
 
“I was standing by the cave waiting for Kai and the others to come out.”
 
“Just get out of here and be patient ok? I'll let you all know if anything goes wrong.”
 
The Knight nodded and left the hut.
 
Kai and the Ham-Hams all stared wide-eyed at the thing inside the coffin. When he opened the coffin, Kai had been expecting to see some sort of legendary weapon or a horrible monster.
 
What lay inside the coffin was…..a hamster.
 
The hamster was mostly normal looking. Most of his fur was a light gray color and he was a bit pudgy. The only strange feature of his body was a large, oval shaped orange patch of fur on his stomach area.
 
Kai broke into a fit of uncontrollable laughter after scanning the hamster in the coffin.
 
This is… just great!!” he yelled in between long, almost insane sounding laughs. “My whole village was massacred for a long dead hamster!?” He spun around quickly to face Cow. “Why don't you say something huh!?” he yelled, the laughter dissolving. “Your best friend was killed because of this corpse here and you're not even twitching a facial muscle!!”
 
“There must have been a reason we were guarding him,” said Cow. Kai let out a long scream of rage at this.
 
“Well, who the f…”
 
“Excuse me,” interrupted Maxwell. How old did you say this village was?”
 
“60 years old!” Kai said loudly. What does it matter?
 
“Well, assuming that this hamster's been in this coffin for 60 years, wouldn't he be decomposing by now?”
 
“How the hell would I know?!” snapped Kai.
 
“Like, don't yell at Maxwell!” Sandy shouted at Kai. “All he's doing is trying to help!”
 
“It's ok Sandy,” Maxwell said. “You must not have been educated well.” Maxwell cleared his throat. “Shortly after a body dies, the body's tissues are broken down by enzymes, chemicals, and bacteria,” Maxwell explained quickly and loudly. “If this hamster's been dead 60 years, he'd be nothing more than a pile of bones unless it was embalmed. Even then, there'd be some decay”
 
“So, what are you trying to say?” Kai asked, much calmer.
 
“Isn't it obvious?” asked Maxwell. “This hamster isn't dead, just in a coma.”
 
Before anyone could say anything else, Cow ran toward the coffin, snatched the hamster out of it, and ran away.
 
“What the hell!?” yelled Cookie. “Has he lost his mind?”
 
“I knew something was wrong,” said Kai to himself. He bolted out of the small room and every other hamster followed suit.
 
The next hour was a total blur to Kai. The whole time, he ran right through the cave not even bothering to stop. He was constantly hearing the groans and screams of the hamsters constantly slipping on the damp floor of the cave. Kai's mind blocked all of the screams out. Instead, it was filled with thoughts of Cow. How and why could he have done what he did? Just before Kai and the Ham-Hams had entered the cave, he had been yelling at Kai for breaking the laws of the elders. Now, he not only seemed fine with it, he had stolen the hamster, whoever he was, or had been. There was only one explanation Kai could think of: he wasn't Cow.
 
 
When Kai reached the entrance of the cave, he was hit by a wave of fatigue. His energy that had been coursing through his body moments before completely dissolved in an instant. A minute later, Boss, Bijou, Hamtaro, Maxwell, Cookie and Panda stumbled out of the cave, covered with blood and panting heavily.
 
“I will stay here and wait for the others,” Bijou said in between deep gasps.
 
Kai nodded, and then walked as fast as he could down the path to the village. Boss, Hamtaro, Cookie, and Panda followed him. The whole time, Panda was shaking violently.
 
Soon, they had reached the empty village. Kai scanned around for any sign of Cow. He gazed at the village square. After a moment, he spotted Cow there.
 
“There's the bastard,” he said.
 
Suddenly, the energy that had previously vanished form Kai's body suddenly came rushing back. He charged toward the village square and the Ham-Hams did their bests to keep up.
 
Kai's ears detected the sound of more hamsters running and looked back. Behind Hamtaro and the others were Bijou, Howdy, Dexter, Stan, and Sandy. Kai smiled.
 
In a few short minutes, Kai and the Ham-Hams arrived at the village square. They found Cow there coughing and gasping for air. The hamster was beside him, still comatose.
 
“Curse… this body's poor… stamina,” he was wheezing.
 
“Cow!” Kai called. Cow turned his head, his face breaking into a devilish grin.
 
“So… the cave's treasure was a hamster,” he said, his wheezing growing less intense. “Never coulda guessed that. Oh well, if you stupid villagers were wasting so much energy to keep it safe from us, it must be important.”
 
“You're not Cow are you,” Kai exclaimed.
 
“Good guess,” Cow said. “I must thank you for leaving your friend in the dust like that. If you hadn't done so, I would never have been able to claim this hamster that easily.'
 
“Who are you really?” Kai asked. Cow laughed.
 
“Look behind you,” he said.
 
Immediately, Kai and the Ham-Hams spun around. Directly behind them was a hamster wearing a dark brown cloak and a white mask resembling an infant's face. Behind him was a small army of hamsters in blue robes with yellow stripes and hamsters wearing jagged armor.
 
“Kai, were these the folks who destroyed this place?” asked Howdy. Kai nodded.
 
“So, this was a trap all along,” Kai said to the cloaked hamster.
 
“Yes, the cloaked hamster said.
 
This was the first time Kai had heard the cloaked hamster speak. He was surprised that his voice did not sound villainous or intimidating at all, but rather loud, clear and high pitched.
 
The hamster flicked his wrist. Behind Kai, Cow`s body began to gestate wildly. Kai turned around to see several large wounds open up on his friend's body. His body suddenly stopped moving and he fell to the ground, dead.
 
“Once again, I must thank you for giving us Cow,” the cloaked hamster said to an enraged Kai. `His corpse served me well.”
 
The cloaked hamster pushed Kai aside and walked up to the prostrate hamster beside Cow's corpse. He picked it up with little effort.
 
“Attack,' the cloaked hamster said to the Knights and Acolytes. Immediately, the gloved paws of the Acolytes began to glow a bright red.
 
“No!” screamed Panda suddenly. He charged toward the cloaked hamster and delivered a kick to the side. It wasn't powerful, but it was enough to make him drop the hamster he was carrying.
 
“You little bastard!” the cloaked ham screamed as he reached for the hamster on the ground. Before he could grab it however, Panda snatched it away.
 
“Catch!” he yelled, throwing it to Cookie, who caught it.
 
At that moment, fireballs shot out of the paws of each Acolyte, each flying at Panda. All the fireballs hit him directly in the chest before he could even think of dodging. He fell to the ground instantly.
 
“Panda!!!!” screamed Hamtaro.
 
“C'mon man!!” yelled Boss to Hamtaro. Run! We have to get out of here now!”
 
“But……but….Panda…” Hamtaro stuttered, tears in his eyes.
 
“No time!” Boss yelled, grabbing Hamtaro and running as fast as he could.
 
The Ham-Hams all ran. Their survival instincts took over, pushing their bodies beyond normal limits. They ran until they reached the forest. They could no longer hear their pursuers' pawsteps.
 
“Holdin' out ok Cookie?” Kai asked her.
 
“Fine… just… fine,” she said as she gasped for air. “You won't believe how heavy this guy is…”
 
Suddenly, an arrow shot out from behind a tree. It flew through the air; flying toward the back of Kai's head. Sensing danger, Kai rolled out of the path of the arrow. Unfortunately, Bijou had been in front of Kai. Before she could detect the arrow, it hit her right on her left shoulder. She screamed in pain, a large gob of blood spurting from her shoulder.
 
“Bijou!!!” screamed the Ham-Hams simultaneously. Boss and Hamtaro screamed the loudest.
 
“No….no!!!!!” cried Boss, tears gushing from his eyes. “Not you too!!”
 
“Boss!!” yelled Hamtaro over Bijou's cries. “It's not that bad of a wound!! She'll live!!”
 
“What the hell are you talking about!?” said Boss angrily. “She's got a huge hole in her shoulder! You can't tell me it's not that bad of a wound!! We have to find the nearest hamster village and get her medical treatment!'
 
“We'll be safer if we go back to the clubhouse!” yelled Hamtaro. “We'll be less likely to be found! We can treat her there!'
 
“Since when did we get a doctor!?” Boss asked angrily.
 
“Well…” said Maxwell quietly. “I do have some knowledge of medicine…”
 
“See!?” said Hamtaro.
 
“Listen mac,” said Boss. “I don't know who the hell you think you are, but last time I checked, I was the one in charge!”
 
“Boss,” said Bijou weakly. “Listen to Hamtaro. It eeez fine. I can make it!”
 
“Bijou…” whispered Boss, tears in his eyes. “Fine,” he mumbled. “We'll go back to the clubhouse…” He picked Bijou up.
 
Behind the tree from which the arrow had been shot, the cloaked hamster sat with a Knight carrying a crossbow.
 
“Sir, why didn't you order me to fire again?” asked the Knight.
 
“Because, I found a better plan,” said the cloaked hamster. “Tell everyone to retreat.” The Knight nodded.
 
Under his mask, the cloaked hamster smiled, knowing victory was at hand.
 
Finally, a longish chapter! The next one might be a little shortish, but the shocks and surprises in the chapter will hopefully make up for the length.
 
Sorry it's taken a bit longer than usual to write this chappy. A couple of essays and a power outage got in the way.
 
 
Just a warning: I'll be on vacation from December 23rd to January 2nd, so don't expect any updates within that time. I'll try to get as many as I can up before leaving.
 
 
Once again, read and review!