Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening ❯ Devastation ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9:
Devastation
 
Kai sat, frozen in place. His breathing was quick and heavy; perspiration was rapidly forming and dripping down his face. He was doing his best to give off the impression of someone cool and in command; someone who knew what he was doing. It wasn't working too well. Expressions of total panic were forming on the faces of the Ham-Hams. Kai felt their eyes staring at him, expecting him to have some sort of answer as to what to do. The pressure was too much for Kai. What the Ham-Hams were looking for was a leader, someone who would always know what to do; someone who could get them out of a jam whenever they were stuck in one. Kai had no idea what to do. He never knew what to do. It had been Cow's idea to hole he, Kai and Cookie up and wait for the chance to escape, it had been Cow who had decided the right time to do so. It was Cow who had the traits of an ideal leader. All Kai possesed was a stupid title. Why was he spared? Why did death's cold hands have to pry an innocent soul like Panda and a great leader like Cow from the world? Why?
 
“Everythin'… alright there Kai?” Howdy asked nervously.
 
“Y… no,” Kai wasn't going to keep up his façade any longer. He was going to tell his friends the truth and face it head on. “Something's coming, something close. It'll be here any minute now. I want you all to be ready. There's a good chance you'll lose your lives here.
 
The Ham-Hams gasped. “Can't we just… flee?” Howdy asked.
 
“That's an option,” Kai said nodding. “We could take the tunnels to that beach and meet up with Cookie and Hamtaro there.”
 
And just leave Boss and Cappy out there to die!?” Maxwell yelled.
 
“Look Maxy,” said Stan. “There's a good chance they're… already dead. Even if they aren't, we still have ourselves to take care of. If you want, we could look for them or whatever after the danger's passed!”
 
“Sorry Stan, but I'm with Maxwell,” Sandy said. “And if you…
 
“Ok, ok,” Kai said interrupting. “All who want to stay here and fight these guys off, raise your paws.”
 
Most of the Ham-Ham's paws rose at the moment.
 
“Ok, I guess… we stay.” Kai gulped. “We better start…”
 
Kai was suddenly interrupted by a loud grunt coming from the Clubhouse entrance The Ham-Hams turned pale as they gathered around the door to the tunnel leading to the clubhouse interior
“If they got in,” Dexter said. “Cappy must be…”
 
The door was kicked off its hinges at that moment. When the resulting dust settled, the Ham-Hams all gasped upon seeing the hamster standing in front of them.
 
“ey gang!!” Boss said loudly before anyone could say anything. He took two giant steps forward and nearly tripped over his own feet. He gazed at his friends and saw all the expressions of fear and hostility on their faces. They were all shocked and scared by his sudden transformation. “Wass wit' all the `ostility in dis room? I'm just here to have some FUN!!!!!!” As he screamed that last word, he whacked Dexter on the back of the head. He instantly fell unconscious and dropped on the floor. Boss let out a long laugh.
 
“Boss!!” Pashmina yelled with absolute revulsion and horror. “How could you… Why did you…? You're a monster!!”
 
“Okyoo,” Penelope said, nodding in agreement.
 
“SHADDUP!!!!!!” Boss screamed. He jumped onto the table sitting in the middle of the room. It shattered instantly under his colossal weight. “If anyone says shit like dat again, I KILL YA ALL!!!!” He slid his finger across his neck repeatedly. “'Cept for Bijou `acourse.” He turned to Bijou with a revolting look on his face. She let out a little whimper.
 
“Stay…. Stay away!!!” she screamed. Boss didn't listen and reached toward her.
 
`Don't you touch her!” yelled Stan, stopping Boss.
 
“YA WANNA BE KILLED!!!!???” He leaped away from the remains of the table toward Stan. Before he could react, Boss grabbed him and lifted him. Boss opened his mouth and reared his head back, preparing to take a bite out of Stan's shoulder. Stan squealed, knowing what was about to happen.
 
Kai took advantage of this moment and delivered a powerful kick to Boss' back while he was unguarded. Boss' back felt like it had become a wall of steel. Great pain shot up Kai's leg. He gave a little squeal, worried that his kick may not have inflicted any damage. Boss gave a little grunt of pain and dropped Stan. Kai felt relieved; he wasn't invincible after all.
 
“Get back!” Kai managed to shout before Boos socked him in the jaw. The Ham-Hams gasped. They ran toward the tunnels, huddled close together, watching in horror as their only hope was being pummeled right before their eyes
 
 
The rain was finally showing signs of slowing down. Unfortunately for Oxnard, it had slowed down too late. His fur was sopping wet and he was extremely cold and uncomfortable. The sun was peeking in through cracks in the clouds. Dawn was approaching and for Oxnard, it couldn't arrive fast enough. For 30 minutes, he had walked this long beach searching for Hamtaro and Cookie, getting pummeled by the rain. He was annoyed, ready to just give up and turn back, then he remembered his friends were in danger and that getting back Cookie and Hamtaro may be essential to their survival. His sense of purpose renewed, Oxnard sped up.
 
On a long, jagged rock overlooking the vast, dark ocean, the dark outline of a hamster was becoming visible. Coming closer to the rock, Oxnard saw the hamster was Cookie. He crept up to the rock and stood beside her. She didn't notice. She was staring out into the distance, her blank, dead looking eyes fixated on nothing in particular. She was sopping wet, but she seemed not to care. Oxnard was afraid to try and snap her out of this trance or whatever she was in, but gathered up his courage and tapped her on the shoulder. She slowly turned her head toward him. Hints of life appeared in her eyes.
 
“Oh, it's you,” she said slowly. Oxnard nodded. “What do you want?”
 
Oxnard gulped. “You're needed at the clubhouse. Something's come up.”
 
Cookie's ears perked up, her previously expressionless now intensely conveying worry and fear. “What happened!?” she asked. “Are those guys back?”
 
Oxnard shrugged. “I don't know. We need Hamtaro too. Where is he?”
 
“He said he was going back to his owner's house.”
 
Oxnard's jaw dropped. “What!?” he said loudly. “Great, that place is miles from here.”
 
“He said something about a shortcut. I saw him head in the direction of that forest over there.” Cookie pointed to her right. In the distance, Oxnard could make out a forest. `I'll go back to the clubhouse,” Cookie said, standing up and walking away.
 
Oxnard stood on the wet sand, seething with anger. The Ham-Hams had all agreed to stay at the Clubhouse until they were sure the danger had passed. They had all taken an oath, and Hamtaro, the one who had been insisting that they abandon their owners to help their new friends days before, had broken it. Everyone missed their owner's especially Oxnard, but they weren't going to break their oaths to stay at the Clubhouse. Until they were sure Chaos was safe from enemy paws, no one was going back. Oxnard regained himself and headed in the direction of the distant forest. He had to find Hamtaro before it was too late.