Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Dream of the amazing dancer Sandy ❯ First day hi-jinks! Give it your all Sandy ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

We fade in to see all the students outside the school as the Principal began his speech-

Principal: Welcome students to another year at Maple leaf High School. For many of you are new to us and we hope you'll enjoy it here, as to the rest of you I hope you'll continue to reach for the stars. So now let the first day back and orientation begin!

Then it was 8:00 and school officially began as the students entered the building, in the halls our trio got to talking-

Sandy: I can't believe we're finally in high school, it's so exciting!

Hakeru: You know it girl, once you enter these halls you're an official young adult.

Pashmina: I thought that wasn't until our senior year

Hakeru: Well whenever we're certainly in the next phase of our lives.

Sandy: Have you thought of what electives you might take?

Hakeru: I'm taking martial arts of course. I hope to be the best in all of Japan!

Sandy: I'm not surprised, so what are you going to choose Pashmina?

Pashmina: I think I'll go for the school paper. I've hoping to someday be a reporter.

Hakeru: What elective are you going to take Sandy?

Sandy: I don't know but I'll figure it out.

Soon they reach their homeroom where a proud wolf wore a collar and tie

Teacher: Welcome to grade 9, I'm Mr. Wolfstein. I hope I'll be able to teach you a little something the coming year.

Soon after the class introduced themselves and got to know each other, soon it was Sandy's turn-

Sandy: Good morning everyone, I'm Sandy. I was captain of the soccer team in middle school, I play the keyboard and I'm a-

She then was struck with a painful feeling-

Sandy: I used to be an avid dancer.

(Narrating)

Sandy: Well you see I haven't danced publicly since a certain thing happened, but more on that later.

Mr. Wolfstien: Thank you Sandy, you may sit down now.

So Sandy took her seat by her friends and the class resumed, later on it was time for French class and a white hamster with blue ribbons in her hair. The chalkboard behind her read "Bienvenue à la classe française!" which is "Welcome to French class!' in French.

Bijou: Bonjour class, I'm Miss Bijou and I'll be your French teacher. Let's see how many French words you already know. Let's start with-

She checks her attendance sheet.

Bijou: Hakeru.

(Stands up)

Hakeru: Um, Le monde merveilleux des chiens et des souris.

Bijou: Very good Hakeru though how did you learn to say "The wonderful world of dogs and mice?"

Hakeru: Saw it in a movie once, did I pronounce it right?

Bijou: Oh yes very nice and you didn't fake a French accent nice touch.

She gives her a thumbs up-

Bijou: Anyone else game? How about-

(Checks her attendance sheet again)

Bijou: Stan?

Stan was daydreaming of her and him on deck chairs opposite each other wearing a cool pair of shades and catching a glorious tan.

Bijou: Stan?

Stan: Yes, what can I get you good looking?

Bijou: Well for starters you could tell a French word you know.

Stan: Huh?

Stan snapped out of his daydream to see an angry teacher in front of him.

Bijou: Well Stan. I'm waiting.

(Sweat dropped)

Stan: Uh Merci?

Bijou: Thank you Stan, now I hope you'll keep your head out of the clouds for the remainder of the class.

As Stan exhales with relief, Sandy pounds her face into the desk feeling greatly embarrassed-

Sandy: Stan you did it again and it's not even noon.

Soon later she grabbed Stan and stormed out of class with great anger-

Sandy: Honestly Stan what were you thinking?! Are you trying to make a spectacle of yourself?

Stan: I'm sorry sis, I was daydreaming again.

Sandy: Well please try to be half way respectable today.

Meanwhile over by a row of lockers Okiro was looking at Sandy feeling shy all over. Later on it was lunchtime and Sandy, Pashmina and Hakeru sat under a tree outside. enjoying lunch.

Sandy took a bite of one of the rice balls her father made her-

(With her mouth full)

Sandy: Oh, these are great! My dad makes the best rice balls.

Hakeru: Just like I make the best veggie sandwiches!

Pashmina: Yeah.

Hakeru and Sandy noticed that Pashmina was quiet and a little down.

Sandy: What's been bothering you Pashmina?

Pashmina: I'm just worried about Penelope, it's her first day of kindergarten and I hope she's doing okay.

Sandy: I know she's fine. we'll go there after school and walk her home with you.

Pashmina: Thanks girls, I appreciate that.

Voice: Would you mind if I accompany you?

The girls look up to see a brown and white and tall hamster with a book in his paw sitting in the tree over them.

(Blushing)

Sandy: Sure Maxwell.

He climbs down from the tree and heads off near a small pond.

Hakeru: Well I guess you know who you're going to ask for the Sadie Hawkins dance.

Sandy: Oh come on, I couldn't ask Max. He's just a friend.

Voice: Are you sure about that?

They look up to see it was Sparkle.

Sparkle: If you ask me it' all the makings a bonified schoolgirl crush.

Sandy: Is not!

Sparkle: Then you wouldn't mind if I ask him to the Sadie Hawkins dance.

(Fidgeting)

Sandy: Well I…

Sparkle: Aha! You tensed up, you do like him.

Hakeru: So what if she does?

Sparkle: Nothing, Max's a good catch. he's smart polite and not a bad looker. Seems to pass every test except-

Pashmina: Except what?

Sparkle: Well when it comes to sports he's all thumbs, well we don't have thumbs but you get my meaning.

Sandy: That doesn't matter. just as long as he's happy then I'm happy around him.

Sparkle: Whatever floats your boat, I'll see around.

And with that she twirls away-

Hakeru: Honestly I think that girl just looks for a fight.

Pashmina: Never mind her Sandy, you do what feels right.

Sandy: Thanks guys, and just between us there's another boy I like.

Hakeru: Really? Come on girl dish!

Sandy: Well I met him awhile back but I never got his name but I remember his face clearly.

So Sandy described every detail she remembered, meanwhile in the school office a new possible teacher was talking to the principal.

Principal: So Mr. Okasa, do you think you can handle this position? While it's been 4 years since we had to cut the school dance team and now that we can start it up again this term I want everything to go smoothly.

Mr. Okasa: I understand. I know I'm right for this job.

Principal: So what are your credentials?

Mr. Okasa: Well I got my master's degree in education and I graduated from a respected choreography academy, I also graduated from pilot academy.

Principal: Yes very good, but what does pilot academy has to do with this job?

Mr. Okasa: Nothing I just thought it would explain a plane parked in the parking lot.

The principal was shocked to hear that and quickly looked out his window to the parking lot to see right next to his car was a small airplane.

Principal: Yes well, *clears throat* since we're pressed for time I'll hire you on a trial basis so you can post up the dance team tryout sheet-

Hands him the sheet-

Mr. Okasa: Thank you sir, I won't let you down.

Soon later on Sandy and everyone were just leaving wood shop which had just ended-

Panda: Remember to get your wood shop materials bought for next week's first project: a jewelry box.

Right after the girls went straight to their lockers which cool enough we're right next to each other.

Sandy: Isn't this great? We have lockers right together.

Pashmina opens her locker to reveal a picture of her sister Penelope and other cool stuff.

Hakeru: Well this is perfect. We can share secret info to each other.

Sandy: Yeah, you know this has been the best first day of school ever.

Pashmina: Yeah it has.

They all sighed dreamily at that thought and stared into space for awhile. Soon the bell rang and school was over for the day. But while others headed home others went for the bulletin board to sign up for their elective. Our friends fought their way through the crowd until they got signed up.

Sandy: Where's Pashmina?

Hakeru: She must still be trapped in the crowd, I'm going back in.

Just then Pashmina made her way out feeling very twittery and almost fell but Hakeru caught and started fanning her with her paw.

Sandy: Well girl did you make it?

Pashmina: Yeah, just barely. You're now looking at a possible candidate for head reporter of the school paper.

Sandy: That's great, what about you Hakeru?

Hakeru: I definitely signed up for marital arts, that's what's home to me.

Pashmina: Did you finally pick an elective?

Sandy: No, not yet.

Then Pashmina was able to stand again and as the crowd got smaller she looked to see an interesting sign-up sheet.

Pashmina: Hey, the school dance team is available. Only two girls have signed up.

Hakeru: Looks like you-know-who has signed up.

Pashmina: Why don't you sign up Sandy? You're a terrific dancer.

Sandy: I was.

Hakeru: You still are! I know that even though you don't perform anymore you still love it I know you do.

Sandy: Of course I still love it but it's just been hard to work up the courage again.

Just then Stan came up to them-

Stan: What's up sis? Have you signed up for an elective?

Sandy just froze and couldn't speak-

Stan: You're not still mad at me? I said I was sorry didn't I?

She still was silent.

Stan: Well if it makes you feel better Miss Bijou talked with me after class and gave me tomorrow's homework today plus 4 sheets of the day after's.

Pashmina: Serves you right, I mean when are you going to find respect for us girls?

Hakeru: I wonder where you learned all this, those skimpy daytime talk shows no doubt.

Stan: Gee, I make one mistake today and everyone gets hyper on me.

Sandy: It's not you bro it's just-

Then he noticed the dance team sign-up sheet.

Stan: Oh, I understand now. Come on sis, just go for it. I know this is your dream, mom wouldn't want you to give it up.

The tension was thick and everyone was unsure of her feelings, right then at the worst possible time Sparkle showed up.

Sparkle: Well hey there everyone, have you all signed up for electives? I going out for the dance team myself, I just know I'll be the best dancer in class.

Hakeru: What makes you so great, Sandy has more experience, more attitude, and more heart in her dancing then you ever will!

Sparkle: Then why isn't her name on the sheet? Is she afraid she doesn't have what it takes?

Sandy heard those words and the power of her own self confidence took her over and she stood proud and said-

Sandy: Ok you're on!

Stan, Pashmina and Hakeru: Sandy?

She quickly went to the sign-up sheet and signed her name and stormed out surprising everyone.

Just outside Sandy sat on the steps feeling that maybe she acted too much on an impulse.

Sandy: What have I gotten myself into now? I don't know if I can ever dance publicly again.

Just then someone came up and sat beside her.

Hamster: Hey what's the trouble?

Sandy: Nothing, it's just well I signed up for the school dance team but I'm having second thoughts about going through the audition.

Hamster: Why ever not?

Sandy: Because ever since something that happened awhile back I haven't been able to perform. The only reasoned I signed up was to prove I wasn't afraid.

Hamster: Well don't you think you can do it?

Sandy: I don't know.

She then got up and ran for the schoolyard leaving him curious. He follows and hides behind a tree to see her take her dance ribbon and twirl it a bit-

Sandy: I don't know what to do. Maybe I should go for it. But what if I fail?

The hamster wait to see what would happen next and then he saw something extraordinary. As she thought no one was watching she began to dance with great power and ease. It was casual yet fancy and graceful all at once, he was truly moved.

Hamster: Yes she'll be perfect for my team, I just hope she'll come and try out.

Just the Sandy noticed Maxwell walk by and she stopped dancing and put her dance ribbon away.

Sandy: Hey Max.

Maxwell: Hi Sandy, is everything ok?

Sandy: Oh yeah of course, I'm totally fine.

Maxwell: I heard you signed up for the dance team, I'm glad you're interested again. You always seemed so happy bringing a form of art to others. To put it simply it made you feel great, I hope you make the team. Well I have to get home, see ya later.

So he left and Sandy let out a big sigh of relief-

Sandy: Well if you believe in me Maxwell, than I'll give it a try!

The hamster was glad and quickly slipped out of sight. A few minutes later in the gym the girls were really excited but none more excited then Sandy.

Hakeru: Well you sure surprised me Sandy, I'm glad you tried this for yourself.

Sandy: Thanks, I just hope I'm not too rusty.

Pashmina: You'll be fine, well we better get going, our electives start soon.

Hakeru: Yeah we'll see you at the rhinestone.

Sandy: Right.

So the two head off and then a ham with Orange puffy dreadlocks and a red baseball cap and a matching red tie.

Asura: Good afternoon and welcome to dance team tryouts. I'm Mr. Okasa, I'll be your dance instructor.

Sandy couldn't believe it, it was the hamster she met earlier.

Asura: When I call your name please give your routine and you have 3 minute maximum. First up: Sparkle.

Sparkle: Yes sir.

She starts her music and begins her routine, soon she was finished and under 4 minutes.

Asura: Thank you Sparkle, very good. Next-

Soon everyone had gone until it was finally Sandy's turn. She put in her tape and "Powerful feelings" plays and Sandy goes into her routine as the song plays out.

(She does a side cartwheel followed by a handstand)

Song: mita koto mo nai sekai demo shiawase wa aru yo

(Everyone was amazed as she then a break dance step and followed it up with electric slide)

Song: wasurekaketa Pyua na kokoro tori modoseba ii no sa

(She then goes Improv and uses her own special moves)

Song: chikakunai demo tooku nai sonna kimochi ga, kokoro no Pawaa mitaseba-

(Sparkle's jaw dropped)

Song: itsuka yume ga kannau

(Drum solo)

(Sandy starts to shimmy and does a backwards cartwheel and then reverses it on a dime)

Song: andemo kandemo mite mitai yo, atama no naka yume ga uzumakiiteiru-

(She waves her ribbon about

tondemo nai taibongen ga, itsu made mo dokomade mo tsudzuite kuru.

She then tossed the ribbon in the air and jumped high in the air and caught it. She then dived and landed pointed feet first on the balance beam.

(She does a sparkling routine and flips high in the air)

Song: muchuu de hanashite waraitai yo ne

(She lands and does a pose as the song ends)

Song: tomodachi to ne minna de sawagi mawaru

hanpa ja nai shiawase ga ne

itsu made mo doko made mo tsudzuite kuru

Everyone applauded and Asura wrote down his observations on his notepad.

Asura: Great job Sandy, thank you.

(Narrating)

Sandy: Well maybe I overdid but I at least I know I'm not rusty.

Asura: Well if everyone's auditioned-

Just then a girl came storming in and tripped.

Girl: Oh darn!

She worked herself up and Sandy went over to her-

Sandy: Are you ok? That was a nasty fall.

Girl: Yeah I'm fine.

Asura: Can I help you?

Girl: I'm here to try out, can I?

Asura: Sure there's time left, do you have your music?

Girl: Yes.

Asura: May I have your name?

Girl: It's Keiko. Keiko Hoshuro

Asura: Very well then, carry on.

So she puts her tape in and as the music starts she begins her routine, she did quite well and soon tryouts were over.

Asura: Thank you everyone for trying out, now there only 5 girls will be chosen and these rest will be alternates when needed. I'll have the results posted tomorrow.

(Soon after the girls left out of the gym)

Sparkle: Well I'm sure I'll make the team, I have the natural ability.

Keiko ran for home when Sandy called out-

Sandy: Hey wait up!

Keiko stopped as she caught up and panted a bit.

Sandy: So your name's Keiko right?

Keiko: Yes, *bows to her* thanks for helping me out earlier.

Sandy: Oh think nothing of it, I was glad to help even in some small way.

Keiko: I just moved here, to start to new school term.

Sandy: That's cool, I'm Sandy.

Keiko: I know you already know but I'm Keiko, well I'll see you later-

She turned to leave when-

Sandy: Hey, don't go yet!

She ran up in front of her and asked-

Sandy: I know this cool hangout my friends and I go to, in fact I'm meeting them there now. Why don't you come with me? You can meet my friends.

Keiko: Well okay, but I have to be home by 5:45.

Sandy: That's cool! I'll walk home with you. So you'll come?

Keiko: Ok, let's go.

So they head into town and stop at a ritzy looking joint-

Keiko: Are you sure this is it? It looks really fancy.

Sandy: Don't let that throw you off, this place is great. Almost everyone comes to the rhinestone.

She opens the door and they walk inside, it was full of life and activity. They walked up to the bar were Pashmina and Hakeru sitting.

Sandy: Hey there you guys.

Hakeru: Well how did it go?

Sandy: I don't know yet, I won't find out until tomorrow but I did ok.

Hakeru: I had to pass and entrance exam by facing one of last year's team members and I almost didn't make but… You're now looking at the newest member of the Maple leaf high martial arts team.

(She and Keiko take a seat on the bar)

Sandy: That's great, how'd you do Pashmina?

Pashmina: Well since I was the only one interested, I'm head reporter for Daily 80 Gazette.

Sandy: Good for you.

That's when she realized something-

Sandy: I knew I forgot someone, I promised to go pick up Penelope.

Pashmina: It's all right, turns out she had a great first day too, Maxwell took her home for me and is watching her for awhile.

Sandy: I'm glad about that. Again I'm really sorry.

Pashmina: Really it's fine.

Hakeru: Say Sandy, who's your friend?

Sandy: Oh yeah, this is Keiko. She tried out for the dance team.

Keiko: Hello everyone.

Girls: Hello Keiko.

Just then a beige and white hamster came out with some menus and placed them in front of the girls.

Hakeru: Hey there T.W. How's everything?

T.W: Oh can't complain Hakeru, can't complain. So you'll all have the usual?

Sandy, Pashmina and Hakeru: Yep, 3 orders of Apple and potato ramen.

T.W: You got it, I'll be right back-

Sandy: Wait T-

T.W: Yeah? Is there something else you'd like?

Sandy: T this is Keiko.

T.W: Oh I'm sorry I didn't see you there, it's nice to meet you what would you like?

Keiko: Just A Strawberry shake and a piece of Apple pie to go.

T.W: You got it, I'll be right back

So T.W heads into the kitchen and the girls get to talking-

Sandy: A shake and pie? I guess your no slave to dieting.

Keiko: Oh it's not for me, it's for a friend I know. I'm comparing my pie to this place's and see what he likes best.

Hakeru: No offense but it takes a great family recipe to do battle with T.W's food, he's one of the best in Japan.

Keiko: Well I have my secrets too.

Sandy: So when do you move here?

Keiko: Just a few days ago so I'm still getting settled, I live just a bit from here.

Sandy: Really? Almost no home in town square is available. You're lucky.

Keiko: I never thought of that, if nice hams like you I am lucky I moved here.

So they all had a great talk and enjoyed a great meal. Soon after Sandy said goodbye to everyone and walked Keiko home.

Keiko: Well thanks for walking me home. That was nice of you.

Sandy: No prob, maybe you'd like to come over to my house for dinner.

Keiko: Sure that'd be great, wait just a second-

She took out a sticky note pad and wrote her phone number down and gave to Sandy-

Keiko: If you get a disconnected message it means I haven't found the phone yet.

Sandy: Thanks, well I'll be seeing ya-

(Waving)

Keiko: Bye!

As she ran home Sandy posted the sticky note on her backpack and headed home. She was the first to make it home as she took her key and opened the front door-

She dropped her backpack by the shoe mat and headed into a special room by the phone, she walked up to a special shrine and laid on her knees and bowed­­­­­-

Sandy: Good evening, I missed you.

(Narrating)

Sandy: Well I might as well tell you now, my mother died when I was little and it shook me up. I didn't I could dance without her being there, ever since then I just dance when no one else is around. Until today that is, maybe it means I'm growing up or something.

She then left the room closing the door behind her when the phone rang which she quickly answered-

Sandy: Hello? Oh hi dad-

Over on the outskirts of town-

(On the phone)

Taisho: Hi there honey, how your first day of high school?

(Back at home)

Sandy: Great, I tried out for the dance team.

Over on the outskirts of town-

(On the phone)

Taisho: That's great, I'm afraid I have to work late tonight, but there's Eggplant parmesan and leftover stew in the fridge just heat it up.

(Back at home)

Sandy: Ok, do you think you could make some of your famous berry-walnut sherbet and a big jumbo fish?

Over on the outskirts of town-

(On the phone)

Taisho: Well sure, what's the occasion?

(Back at home)

Sandy: Well tomorrow I found out if I made the dance team and besides I made a new friend today. Can she come over tomorrow?

Over on the outskirts of town-

(On the phone)

Taisho: Sure why not, well I have to go, I'll see you tomorrow.

(Back at home)

Sandy: Ok, goodbye.

She hangs up and went into the kitchen for a glass of milk and started a kettle of water, an hour passed and we look outside to see Stan slowly heading inside playing a new piece on his guitar. Sandy heard it and knew it was him and went to open the door and he walked right in-

Sandy: What took you so long?

Stan: Oh sorry, I was practicing a new piece and I was going slower than usual.

Sandy: Well dad called, he's going to be late tonight. There's dinner in the fridge.

Stan: Oh I'm not hungry, though I could use some-

Sandy: Coffee?

Just then the kettle whistled-

Stan: How did you know?

Sandy: Hey, what are twins for? Besides you always have coffee when you get home-

So Stan prepares a cup for himself and Sandy gets herself another glass of milk.

Sandy: Would you like a little milk?

Stan: Sure.

So she hands him the milk and he adds some to his coffee. He tosses it back to Sandy and she puts it away and got a plate of the Eggplant parmesan and closed the door. She and Stan go over to the table and talk of their day.

Sandy: So what elective did you take?

Stan: I didn't take one.

Sandy: What?!

Stan: I just didn't feel like it.

Sandy: You know before you can graduate you have to take at least 2 electives within the 4 years you go there. Putting it off will just make it harder.

Stan: Well there's always next term.

Sandy: That's what you said in middle school and you barely passed. I'm just worried bro.

Stan: Well there's still time, I'll check something out tomorrow.

Sandy: Good.

(Thinking)

Stan: Honestly I'm supposed to be the oldest by 20 minutes so how can she be so in charge, On the other hand it means I don't have to be.

Soon after dinner Sandy took her backpack and went up to her room, meanwhile Stan went to the shrine and prays there.

(Thinking)

Stan: Oh mother, things seem so much harder. The work, the responsibilities and most of all Sandy and I drifting apart and we're supposed to be twins. She's right though, I made a heel of myself and you'd belt me one if you were around. It's just every time I see a girl I get all crazy and feel really weird. I hope Miss Bijou will forgive me and that you will again. I love you mom.

Meanwhile upstairs Sandy looked out at the night sky and pondered if she did the right thing

Sandy: Well all I can do is wait now, I'll be sure to try my very best.

Soon after it was lights out and she quietly drifted off to sleep.