Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Betrothed ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Pansy tapped her foot impatiently, waiting. She was in the dim corridor on the third floor farthest away from the staircase. She glanced out the window seeing more snow falling lightly down on the ground. It had only been a day since she found out that Draco was engaged to her. That girl that everyone liked as she charmed her way through life. She skipped around with Potter and his stupid Gryffindor friends. Draco and his friends seemed to becoming attached to her also. Potter, on the other hand, was obsessed with her. Stupid Potter.
 
“Pansy-?”
 
She jumped and sharply turned around. He was finally here. Took him along enough! She slightly frowned at him.
 
“Sorry,” he said and sat down on the bench. He held the new Daily Prophet in his hands. “Have you read this?”
 
Pansy nodded and sat down next to him. She looked at the new recent photograph of Lullia on the front page. This time it was just a head shot with her directly looking into the camera. She looked so scared as she stared forward.
 
“It's a bunch of rubbish. Draco and Potter are too attached to her and yesterday she told me that it wasn't her fault. I'm betting her parents weren't too happy with that.”
 
He nodded and looked down at it again. He sighed then looked up at her. “So what did you want to see me about? And what was with that crazy “secret” letter?”
 
“Well I didn't want anyone to figure out that I wanted to see you in private.” He raised his eyebrow at this. “Well think about it. If people saw us talking…”
 
He rolled his eyes at this. “Let me guess its some Slytherin thing?”
 
“Kinda.”
 
“Fine. What do you want?”
 
Pansy bit her lip. How could she describe this to him?
 
“Basically we both want something out of this. I want Draco and you want Lullia. If we work together maybe my plan will work.” She then began to tell him her plan. He simply looked at her throughout it.
 
John rolled his eyes and stood up. “That's the probably the worse plan ever. They'll never fall for it.”
 
Pansy frowned, stood up, and glared at him. “What's wrong with it? We can at least try it.”
 
He thought for a few more minutes then stood up towering over Pansy. “Promise me you wont do anything to Lullia.”
 
“Wh-“
 
“Meaning no more rumor spreading, slapping, or anything. Leave her alone.”
 
Pansy held her tongue as she nodded. “Deal. We'll start tomorrow then after break.”
 
John nodded. “Deal.”
 
What they didn't know was the third party listening.
 
Pansy and John then left the corridor and went their separate ways to their Houses. Tomorrow would be interesting to see how Potter, Malfoy, and Marcus would deal with the student body.
 
 
 
* * * * * * * *
 
 
Harry and Ron were briskly walking to History of Magic. They had overslept and once again Hermione hadn't woken them up. Hermione usually completely disappeared before winter break. She had the rest of this week to cram in whatever she crammed in during those long hours in the library. Ron had tried to drag her out of there at least a few times recently. Only one successful attempt.
 
Harry had the rest of this week to try to make a move on Lullia. She was going home with Malfoy since apparently their houses were much closer than Sirius's house or the Burrow. The train ride should also be interesting. For the first time in history Harry Potter, Draco Malfoy, and Lullia Marcus would sit together on the train.
 
“Whatever you do don't push her too hard,” Hermione had muttered. Harry had told his plan to Ron and Hermione.
 
Harry raised an eyebrow. “How will that be pushing her too hard?”
 
Hermione leaned in closer to Harry. Ron leaned in closer to hear. “Edan Marcus paid a lot of money to rewrite the paper. She can't be seen romantically involved with you or Malfoy.”
 
Ron nodded. “I agree with Hermione on this one. Just kiss her during break when you guys are alone.”
 
Hermione gave Ron a sharp, but soft amused look. Harry shook his head. “I can't. Her family is going somewhere during break, so I can't just kiss her during break.”
 
“Then what's the point with going with Malfoy?” muttered Ron.
 
“They live closer together than I do,” muttered Harry, frowning.
 
Harry and Ron then arrived in the room seeing Hermione sitting with her nose in some random book. Lullia also sat in her seat dully flipping through the pages. Harry could see the new Daily Prophet sticking out of student's bags, being read by a few groups of students, and some just shoved into their books. Lullia seemed to pretend that she didn't see them. Malfoy was also sitting in his seat flipping through another book. Every time he saw a student glance back at them he'd return the glance with a dirty look.
 
At least he hasn't blown up on anyone yet.
 
Harry and Ron exchanged looks. Ron shrugged and gave him a hopeful look.
 
“It wont be that bad,” muttered Ron then went to take his seat by Hermione.
 
Harry flopped down into his seat next to Lullia. She looked over at him and he gave her a hopeful smile. She returned it with her bright smile.
 
“How are you doing today?” he asked.
 
“Better now since that horrible Rita rewrote those lies!” she answered almost hissing Rita's name. A few people listening to their conversation almost smiled at that. They now listened closer.
 
After all they were now famous. All three of them.
 
“Well that's good. I know. I almost had a heart attack too.” Harry leaned down to see Malfoy. God, he couldn't believe he'd ask this question to him. “How are you doing?”
 
Draco glanced over at Harry before realizing he was being talked to. He lowered his arm to see Harry and Lullia.
 
What kind of answer would Draco give today?
 
“Besides being compared to you in a lying newspaper article, fine. I hope my father sends her to the dogs.”
 
Harry and Lullia frowned at the last part. Harry hated Rita, but then again maybe Draco only said that to throw off the Believers (Ron started calling them that since they still believed that Lullia was betrothed to Harry and Draco).
 
“Well that's positive,” muttered Lullia.
 
One of the girls sitting in front of Harry, Lullia, and Draco turned around and looked at all three. She then leaned backwards so she could keep her voice down.
 
“Just so you know, Lullia, there's still bets going on, on who you'll end up with.” She looked at Harry. “So far you're winning. Sorry Malfoy….”
 
Draco frowned and was about to respond until a girl behind them stated, “Actually I heard Malfoy is in the lead. Personally I agree that you, Lullia, need to end up with Malfoy.”
 
Lullia flushed turning quickly back around. She then quickly hid her face. Harry's mouth dropped open and turned back to the front. Draco stared unbelievably at the girl then slowly turned back hoping he wasn't as red as he felt.
 
Basically he and Harry were tied for Lullia.
 
“What!” exclaimed the girl in front. Now more people were tuned in for the conversation. “No way! When did Malfoy make the top? Everyone I know has been voting for Harry!”
 
“Alright SHUT UP back there!” called the Professor. “No one cares about the Potter vs. Malfoy thing. Gracie! Turn around! Marko put up that paper!”
 
Lullia then lifted up her head to see John shoving the paper into his bag and take a quick glance at her.
 
Harry glared at him.
 
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
 
Lullia, dreadfully, walked into Potions class with Draco next to her. The students turned to look at them, and then started to whisper among themselves. If Snape had been in the room Lullia was positive that they wouldn't be staring at her. She didn't dare show much emotion on her face as they sat down, luckily, in the back of the room. A few students did turn around to look at them. John Marko then marched to the back and sat down giving his own million dollar smile to Lullia.
 
She smiled back. “Did something good happen?” she asked. Draco glanced over at John then returned his gaze to the front.
 
John nodded with a soft smile. “You're not engaged! Which is wonderful I might say.”
 
Lullia's face dropped. “Oh, I take it you also read that horrible lie,” she muttered. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat and looked forward.
 
John frowned at this and gave her an apologetic look. “Hey I'm really sorry. I didn't mean…to…bring it up. I'm really sorry about everything.”
 
Lullia nodded and gave him a weak smile. “Thanks John. I just couldn't believe that someone would do that…and then Pansy…”
 
“At least she didn't punch you this time,” said John. He was trying to sound positive. He then looked over at Draco. “Hey Malfoy, I'm sorry that it also happened to you.”
 
Draco rolled his eyes. “Like you actually care,” he muttered.
 
“So then it must really piss you off that you were chosen second best in a fictional article huh?”
 
Now Draco glared at him. Lullia raised both eyebrows at this. The eavesdroppers now fully tuned in. John had used the exact words from Lucius Malfoy telling his son that he should never be second best.
 
Never.
 
Surprising enough Draco didn't say anything. He kept his mouth shut and looked in a different direction. Lullia and John were stunned. At least a good insult would be acceptable from Draco, but nothing. His knuckles stood out white though and it looked like he would break his quill.
 
“So anyways,” muttered John. “I was wondering if you'd like to go out on a date sometime…” He trailed off looking down at his desk, shy. He knew the answer. It was also a lovely no.
 
“Yes, I would love too,” she answered.
 
The eavesdroppers almost fell out of their chairs at this news. They're money was going for Harry Potter, not John Marko.
 
John quickly looked up at her, surprised. He saw Draco look a little bit in shock himself. “W-What?”
 
“I said yes, John. I think it'll be great to go out with you. After all you did like me before you found out I was rich. So what were you planning?”
 
John now happily smiled at this, shocked, but still very happy. “Uh-well-dinner?”
 
Draco rolled his eyes as Lullia nodded. “Where at for dinner? Here or in private?”
 
The eavesdroppers would now have to change their bets.
 
Professor Snape then walked in and told the class to be quiet.
 
“Uh private at eight?” asked John.
 
Snape glanced back at him. “Mr. Marko I suggest you keep your private plans to yourself in my classroom.” Some of the girls began to giggle. “Today's lesson-”
 
“Meet me outside of my room,” whispered Lullia as she leaned down to grab her Potions book.
 
John quickly nodded, blushing.
 
After Potions class when most of the students ran out of the dungeon to their next class Draco pulled Lullia aside. John had quickly darted up the stairs to his next class on the fifth floor. The eavesdroppers simply glanced over at Draco and Lullia.
 
Who was going to win?
 
“What are you doing?” he demanded.
 
Lullia shrugged uncaringly. “I know what I'm doing. Plus this is the perfect way to get people off my back about choosing between you and Harry.”
 
Draco looked at her unbelievably. “It's John Marko. He's been drooling over you since you arrived. He's not going to hold back.”
 
Lullia simply looked at Draco returning the unbelievable gaze. “Don't you trust me? I know what I'm doing.”
 
He shook his head at this and rubbed his face. “I do,” he muttered. “I'm telling Potter. Maybe he can ask Granger to put a spell on you or something.”
 
Lullia frowned. “Bye Draco. I know what I'm doing. Don't worry.” She then walked away from him and he followed, sighing.
 
How in the hell did this happen?
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
“She's doing what?!” exclaimed Harry.
 
He and Draco were talking outside of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Draco had finally caught up to him after lunch. Lullia had sat with Draco again in case today wasn't safe for her. She simply nodded knowing that they meant well, but she did miss sitting at the Gryffindor table.
 
Draco nodded. “My thoughts exactly,” he muttered. He pulled Harry farther away from the doorway so no one could hear their conversation. He felt like Harry would be exclaiming more and more.
 
“It's John Marko!”
 
“I know.”
 
“What the hell is she thinking!?”
 
“That's why I'm telling you. Apparently she knows what she's doing.”
 
Harry shook his head over and over again. He now began to pace back and worth. “Going out on a date with John wont solve anything.”
 
“That's what I said. She's trying to get people off of her back about us.”
 
Harry stopped in his tracks and nodded at that. “That makes sense,” he muttered. “Fine. Let her do what she wants then.”
 
Draco raised an eyebrow. Most of Harry's rage was now gone. “Fine. Let her go with John. They're having a private dinner tonight at eight. Enjoy class with her.”
 
Harry caught a glimpse of Lullia's bouncy hair running into the classroom. She was almost late again like usual. When he looked back at Draco he saw him already walking away. He sighed, walked into the classroom, and took his seat next to Lullia.