Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Betrothed ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Christmas break couldn't have gone faster for Harry as he waited around. He enjoyed his time with Sirius and some of the other members of the Order, but he did miss Lullia a lot. She had never written him or Hermione instead she addressed them both saying that her family was staying longer in Russia than she planned. She apologized and said that she'd see them back at Hogwarts and not on the train. Mrs. Weasley was upset that Lullia wouldn't be able to join them for Christmas. She so wanted to see how her and Harry got along as a soon to be couple.
 
During Harry's alone time with Sirius he did ask him about the betrothed situation. It was an interesting conversation that first started off as Sirius's letter to him: Since everyone thought Harry had died that he wouldn't have to marry Lullia.
 
How wrong they were.
 
Harry leaned closer to Sirius in the armchair. They were sitting in the library where the newer comfy armchairs were placed. Sirius mainly put the chairs in here for Hermione and since all he could basically do all year was read. The library had been clean in case anyone decided to stay for a while or mainly in case Hermione came by. She loved the Black family collection of books. She had once said that they were so interesting and rare. A few books weren't even at Hogwarts. One book she did take, smiling, nodding in approval and left.
 
Harry and Ron just shrugged it off and continued whatever they had been doing before her excitement of the book finding.
 
“Sirius tell me about the engagement between your brother and Lullia's aunt. How did she die? What happened?”
 
Sirius half heartedly smiled. He was remembering about happier days when no one thought he was killer. “Well…I guess it began like your situation. When Regulus was born he was betrothed to Adara Jackson, Lullia's aunt. I wasn't going to be betrothed to anyone since Regulus was already chosen. Not everyone in a pure blood family has to be betrothed to everyone. Adara was…” He thought for a minute choosing his words very carefully.
 
“Adara was a very charming girl. She and Regulus would spend so much time together it was if they were already married. At first Regulus was disgusted at the idea of a chosen partner like I'm sure you and Malfoy were, but she grew on him at a young age and very fast too.” Sirius then nodded at his brother's memory. “Regulus loved her so much. It was a shame that she died so early….” He sighed at the thought.
 
Harry raised an eyebrow. “How did she die?” He had a bad feeling growing in his stomach about this one. If she died so early….most of the time it meant she was murdered just like his parents. Otherwise it was suicide or sickness. He highly doubt that they way Sirius spoke of her that she took her own life. Sickness maybe, but murder stood out to him.
 
He waited for it.
 
Sirius then clapped his hands together and stood up. He moved towards his desk and started to go through the drawers. Before Harry could ask what Sirius was doing he stated, “I want you to see a picture of Adara and Regulus. I know I have one somewhere….AH! Here it is!” He then held up some old, torn photographs and went back over to Harry. He handed him one picture.
 
Harry now looked at a young Regulus Black blushing while a tall, blond girl hugged his upper arm. Regulus would look away from Adara then back down at her smiling. To much of Harry's surprise Adara and Lullia did look somewhat alike except for the blond hair and the most of the facial structure. They were tall, pretty, and energetic from the looks of it. Adara just smiled happily up at Regulus and looked towards the camera. She looked so happy.
 
So very happy.
 
“They look…”
 
“So much in love,” said Sirius. “That was taken just before Adara died. That week they had planned out their wedding. Adara planned it all while Regulus nodded in approval about some of the stuff. Regulus could barely look at the picture afterwards. I do remember that Regulus took one of the flowers from her bouquet and charmed it so it'd never die.” He shook his head and Harry could see that Sirius was holding back tears.
 
He must've also really liked Adara as a sister then, thought Harry. Poor Regulus. I feel so sorry for him. Harry glanced back down at the picture of Adara hugging onto Regulus.
 
Love. Pure love.
 
Sirius paused for a minute and looked at Harry. Harry returned the questionable look. He already knew Adara was murdered. “Go on….”
 
Sirius handed him another picture. This picture was of Adara and Rose standing together hugging. Rose and Lullia were most definitely mother and daughter. Lullia had gotten almost all of her looks from her mother. The light brown hair, and her angular face, but not the dark eyes. Standing next to them were two men; one was Regulus and the other one was Edan Marcus. He was a tall, thin man with black hair. In the picture his eyes only traveled up and down Rose Jackson. Then all of the sudden Edan and Regulus high fived each other and the girls giggled.
 
“For some reason Voldemort wanted Adara to join his army and asked Regulus if he could persuade her to join. After all who's better to recruit her than her own lover, right? Now, Harry, the Marcus and Jackson family have always hated the Dark Arts and maybe only one member has ever joined the Dark Arts, otherwise no one has.” He paused and sighed. “Regulus never told me why Voldemort wanted Adara, but apparently it was very important for his army, so he killed her in the end. Ever since then the Marcus and Jackson family has had the best Aurors guarding them along with placing charms and curses to keep themselves safe.”
 
Harry only nodded. This was hard to process. Voldemort wanted Adara, but for what reason? Whatever reason it was both families were now using protection against Voldemort.
 
Lullia. What about Lullia? Was she even safe?
 
“So then is Lullia safe? She doesn't have anyone following her around.”
 
Sirius shrugged. “I don't know. I take it that her family worked something out with Dumbledore…granted Hogwarts is one of the safest places she could be right now. For everyone.”
 
Harry nodded and returned his gaze down at the pictures. Adara smiled and hugged Regulus's arm tightly. She reminded him of Lullia greatly. She looked like a normal witch, too.
 
Why did Voldemort want Adara? But more importantly, why did Voldemort have to kill her?
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
 
Harry waited on the platform at King's Cross with Sirius, in his dog form, sitting next to him. Tonks and Lupid had already taken his luggage to the train and made Harry stay with Sirius. He guessed there were more Order members hiding around him (he swore that he saw Mad Eye Muddy limping around). The students that walked by them simply looked at Harry then at the dog then back at Harry, shrugging it off. They already thought Harry couldn't get any weirder between the scar, the now rumored betrothed situation and now the dog. Whatever. Surprisingly enough Harry stood by himself instead of the Weasley family or some kind of an Order member. Well, I guess Sirius counts as something, he thought.
 
He looked down at Sirius since the students were now loading onto the train. Not in a major hurry, but nevertheless, they still began to crowd the entryways for the train. Sirius hopped up onto his hind legs, looked at Harry and licked his face. Harry smirked and slightly pushed him off.
 
“Love you too Pad. See you later.”
 
“Be safe,” muttered Sirius landing nicely on all four feet. Sirius then trotted away and soon disappeared out of sight. No one really cared that a dog was trotting out of the station.
 
Harry then started walking towards the train's doors. He still couldn't believe that Lullia wasn't riding the train back to Hogwarts. Out of everyone that wasn't riding back, she wasn't. He then looked around for an unlikely person, Malfoy. He didn't see the white hair that made him stand out. He saw Blaise with Julia holding hands and skipping towards one of the last train compartments. Everyone joked that the last compartment was for couples only so they could do their “own thing”. Blaise and Julia hadn't seen Harry looking for his own friends along with Malfoy.
 
Harry shrugged it off. He knew exactly where he could find Ron and Hermione-the compartment where they had always sat. He then saw something that made his heart leap-red long hair. Ginny was moving between people towards Harry, smiling, and waved at him. He waved back and they stopped before each other.
 
Ginny then hugged him tightly. “Harry! It's so good to see you!”
 
“Same here!” They parted from each other. “Enjoy the last of Christmas break?”
 
She nodded. “Yeah. Fred and George drove me crazy with all their new tricks. They were kinda hoping that Lullia would show up. Did she ever write you again?”
 
He shook his head. “Nope. She just said that she'd see everyone again at Hogwarts. Where are Ron and Hermione?”
 
Ginny nodded towards the train. “You wouldn't believe how many people crowded onto the train when they arrived. Almost all of the compartments are packed, so they're saving their own seats and hopefully we can find our own.”
Harry then noticed that most of the students were already on the train waiting to return. He guessed that most of the parents wanted their kids to be on the train and safely get to Hogwarts.
 
Voldemort was scaring everyone now.
 
“Well then let's get on before we have to ride in the back,” he muttered.
 
When Harry and Ginny got onto the train they started from the first compartment and made their way to the back compartment. They stopped by the compartment Hermione and Ron were shoved into. Hermione was pressed up against the door window while Ron was shoved up against the other window. Sitting with them was Luna, Neville, Seamus, Fred and George.
 
“Sorry Harry-”
 
“The kids just went nuts as their parents shoved them onto the train,” finished Fred.
 
Hermione nodded. “My parents are starting to worry about me. Still no Lullia?”
 
“No. She'll be back at Hogwarts when we get there or a day later. I'll see you at school.”
 
Ron leaned up sucking in air. “If you find a seat I'm coming back there with you!”
 
Harry smirked. “If I don't find a seat I'm sitting in front of you,” he muttered.
 
He and Ginny then made their way farther back on the train. Most of the compartments were filled. Harry and Ginny now made their way through the compartment where Malfoy and his gang sat. He saw Pansy talking with another Slytherin girl and around them sat Crabbe and Goyle. A few other boys sat with them and Zack sat closest towards the isle. He saw Harry.
 
“Harry! Hi!” he said. The Slytherins listening gave Zack a dirty look.
 
Still talking to the enemy.
 
“Zack hi!” Harry shoved passed a few first years who didn't realize that they needed to get out of the way. “How was your Christmas?”
 
“Enjoyably. Ginny, always a pleasure. Looking for a seat still?”
 
Ginny finally shoved a first year down. They returned death glares. “Yes. Why is everyone like this?”
 
“A compartment is being fixed. Apparently the floor or wheels fell off. I'm not sure. You might wanna keep going to the couples compartment.”
 
“Thanks Zack. See ya back at school,” muttered Harry.
 
They finally made it to the very last compartment, the couples compartment. Harry quickly spotted an empty compartment with the tinted windows. It was a couples dream. He opened the door. Only two seats. Harry and Ginny exchanged looks and sat down together, next to each other. Ginny closed the door and they propped up their feet on the seat across from them.
 
“Well I guess if Ron's smart enough to come back here then we'll let him sit,” stated Ginny, relaxing.
 
Harry nodded not really caring. He hadn't seen Malfoy on the train just now. He looked outside. Something wasn't right. He didn't know what, but he just knew. Maybe he was just being paranoid about everything lately. All break he had been fidgety for no reason whatsoever.
 
The train's whistle blew breaking Harry's train of thought and jumped.
 
Ginny jumped at Harry's surprise. “Are you okay?”
 
Harry half smiled and nodded. “Sorry, I just spaced out for a bit.” He felt the train start to move. “It's scary on how fast they've been moving everyone.”
 
“I know. My mom practically shoved us on. I think she scared some of the other kids.”
 
They laughed together.
 
It had been a while since they had left London and they were nearing Hogwarts. The entire time Harry and Ginny had caught up on each other. They hadn't been talking much since the arrival of Lullia, but now they enjoyed their fun loving conversations. An older student then came around to the compartments and called out, “We're near Hogwarts!! Put on your clothes and stop snogging already!” She then left.
 
Ginny then looked over at Harry. She had been wanting to say this for a while now. “Harry how come we never hang out anymore? Is it because of Lullia?”
 
Harry blinked. “What-”
 
Ginny rearranged herself to where she was facing Harry. “Does she not want you to talk to me? I understand talking to Hermione since she's one of your best friends…”
 
Harry had never thought of this before. He knew that Lullia had never cared about Harry talking and hanging out with other girls. In fact, she encouraged it. He shook his head quickly.
 
“Oh, no, no that's not the case at all! That's my fault Ginny.” She raised an eyebrow and was about to speak, but Harry stopped her. “Lullia was just thrown into my life and I had no idea what to do except to get to know her. I still don't know if she's going to choose me at the end of the year and I just wanted to spend as much time with her as I can, so I know her. I haven't even really just hang out with Ron and Hermione. I'm sorry. I didn't intentional mean to do ignore you at all.”
 
Ginny nodded understanding completely. Lullia was a life changing event no matter what Harry did in life. Harry could be married within the next two years or less by the end of the year. Her heart ached at this.
 
“Do you love her?” she almost whispered.
 
Harry looked at Ginny then down at the ground. “I'm not sure. I don't even know if she's even interested in choosing me.” He paused then nodded. “I think…”
 
She grabbed his hand tightly and he looked up into her eyes. Ginny then leaned in and kissed Harry. He responded by kissing her back. Not like with Lullia when he hungrily kissed her, but gentler. Hands then went everywhere exploring each other's bodies.
 
Harry then stopped and pulled back. He quickly shook his head and slid back over the seat breathing hard. Ginny's face hardened and tried holding back a glare.
 
“I'm sorry,” said Harry. “I can't. Not right now. I'm betrothed, Ginny. I'm so sorry, but I can't.”
 
Ginny shook her head. “For all we know she's making out with Malfoy right now! Lullia is just-”
 
Harry stood up and glared down at Ginny. “STOP IT!” he snapped. Lullia making out with Malfoy made his stomach quench. It was a sickening thought.
 
Maybe he did love her?
 
“I'm sorry for this all situation, I really am, but until I know for sure I can't.”
 
Ginny looked so hurt, but understood. Harry was faithful and truthful. One of the things that everyone liked him. “This never happened,” stated Ginny pulling herself together. “I won't ever-”
 
“Same here. Thanks Gin. I'll see you at Hogwarts and this time I promise I'll talk to you.” He then walked out of the compartment, red in the face, and walked up to the next few compartments to join Ron and Hermione.
 
Hermione raised an eyebrow at him. “Are you okay Harry? You looked kinda flushed…”
 
Harry nodded. “Couples compartment is embarrassing,” he muttered.
 
Ron nodded. “Tell me about it. Once Fred and George sat back there and they almost barfed at some of the stuff they saw.”
 
Fred and George smiled at each other and hurried up to the doors. Hermione blushed, smiled, and continued to walk with the crowd.
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
They were now sitting in the Great Hall for dinner after they had unpacked all of their items. Harry had seen Ginny walking and talking with her friends smiling like nothing had happened. He gave her credit for being so strong. He felt guilty for kissing Ginny since he was betrothed to Lullia, but at the same time it felt like it didn't matter. Luckily no one in the couples compartment had seen and if they had seen something, they did obey the don't kiss and tell rule. Hopefully no one had seen them. That's one more rumor he didn't want to deal with.
 
He, Ron, and Hermione went up the stairs to the third floor where hopefully Lullia would be already moved in and waiting. They hadn't seen Lullia so far, but then again she was rich enough just to apparate everything here. Hopefully she'd be here safe and sound.
 
“Man I thought I was going to die with Luna and Neville on the train today,” muttered Ron. “I don't think I've ever heard that much nonsense in my entire life!”
 
Hermione smiled as they went down the corridor to Lullia's room. “Well just think at least you didn't hear everything that Harry and Ginny were hearing.”
 
Ron made a barfing gesture. “I think I would rather sit in an aisle or on top of the train instead of there.”
 
“Actually we didn't hear anything,” said Harry. “Like we only heard the announcement that we were close to Hogwarts.”
 
Hermione laughed at this. “That's because they probably charmed their compartments, Harry.”
 
They then all started to laugh at this as they walked up to Celina. “Hey Celina is Lullia home?”
 
“Actually she isn't back yet,” stated Celina. “That rude blond boy came by earlier and asked also.”
 
“Okay, thanks,” muttered Harry.
 
The others had now joined Harry, Ron, and Hermione at the table. Fred and George had planted their new tricks throughout the castle to make Filch angry. They sat down excitedly and now waited. They were all eating now stuffing their faces and drinking pumpkin juice like old times. They weren't at the Slytherin table and the Slytherins weren't at their table.
 
Same old, same old.
 
Harry glanced over at the Slytherin table. Malfoy was once again with Blaise, Julia, Zack, Crabbe, and Goyle. Pansy was sitting farthest away from Malfoy, but still close enough to hear the conversation. Malfoy looked paler than usual and almost sore like. He didn't really look like he was well at all. His mind then went back to what Rita had written, is always sick and might not be able to say `I do' at seventeen.
 
Was he sick?
 
“Draco doesn't look well,” stated Hermione. She had followed Harry's gaze over to the table. No Lullia either.
 
Ron looked up from his plate of food and looked over his shoulder at him. “He always looks that way. He's been dead white since birth.” He turned back around and started to eat. “Plus who cares? Yeah he's not as creepy anymore, but still. He's stuck up and a snob.”
 
Harry and Hermione exchanged looks. Ron was right to an existent. They looked back over at Malfoy then at each other. Malfoy was most definitely sick of some kind because when they had looked over at him he started coughing horribly. He then stopped when Blaise slapped his back and the table started laughing.
 
As time went on the Slytherin table stood up and left to go back to their dorms. Harry and Hermione had stopped eating a long time ago while Ron kept eating. They stayed at the table catching up with each other during their own breaks. Hermione said that she had spent her Christmas in one of London's hotels with her parents. Harry said that he and Sirius actually went out on the town in strictly Muggle areas. Sirius had said that he liked some of the American beer.
 
Harry yawned and stretched out. “I'm going to head back guys. That train ride must've worn me out more than I thought.”
 
“Same here,” said Hermione. She stood up and looked at Ron. “Aren't you coming Ron?”
 
Ron nodded throwing down the last of his food and joined his friends walking out of the Great Hall. When they went down the steps they stopped and smiled. Hermione ran towards Lullia and the girls hugged each other. Lullia had been standing in the hallway leaning up against the wall. She was in a simple green and blue sweater, jeans, and sneakers.
 
Very un-Lullia like.
 
“Harry hi!” she said and hugged him. Hermione raised an eyebrow, but quickly lowered it. “How was your break? I'm sorry that I didn't make it to visit.”
 
“We were all horribly crushed,” muttered Ron. “I've never seen my mum more upset about it.”
 
Lullia's face was now saddened. She put her hands up to her mouth. “I'm sorry Ron. I had no idea that my parents were going to stay that long in Russia. Next time I promise I'll come.”
 
Harry then noticed a silver ring on Lullia's right ring finger. The design was two small silver flowers with three small leaves underneath. The petals of the flowers were outlined with tiny diamonds. In the middle of the flowers held two crystal diamonds. It was nicely fitted onto her finger.
 
She then looked down realizing what he was staring at. “Oh, this is from my grandma. Apparently it's been in the family forever for the engagement ring. Originally the man is suppose to ask for it, but in my case….she said when I pick one that I give it to them. Nice isn't it?” She gazed down at it again then looked back up at Harry.
 
He nodded. “It's really nice. How long has it been in your family?”
 
“Generations,” she muttered. “I like it though. Anyways how was your Christmases? I hope they were all great. I got your presents in my room if you'd like to get them now.”
 
Ron then wrapped his arm around Lullia. “Aw Lullia, you didn't have to get us anything. What did you get me?”
 
Lullia smiled as they started walking back to her room. “It's a surprise,” she giggled.
 
When they arrived back at the room Lullia quickly handed out the presents since the Prefects started their rounds pretty soon. Ron had received all different kinds of chocolates from all over Europe and a class mud. He thanked and hugged her and started to eat the chocolates. Hermione's gift was an old book to which she happily smiled and immediately hugged Lullia.
 
“I've been looking for a copy of this everywhere! THANK YOU SO MUCH!”
 
Lullia just simply smiled. “I'm glad you like it-”
 
“I LOVE IT!” corrected Hermione and hugged it. Ron rolled his eyes and muttered, “If she was a dog she'd be drooling.”
 
Hermione didn't hear since she was entirely focused on flipping through the pages and catching glimpses of whatever the book contained. Harry got a glance of a few pictures and they looked oddly familiar. He shrugged it off. They all looked the same to him. Lullia then handed Harry his wrapped gift. Smiling, he unwrapped it and his smile grew. It was a black leather jacket. He had mentioned it once that he would like one on one of their dates.
 
“Go on. Try it on. Make sure it fits too.”
 
“Thank you so much Lullia,” he said and quickly pulled it on. It was a fit. A good fit.
 
Harry hugged Lullia and kissed her forehead. “I love it!” He then saw more gifts on the couch. “Who are those for?”
 
“Well there's the rest of the Weasley family-”
 
“You got my brothers and Ginny something?” exclaimed Ron. “They're going to be bloody excited when you give them those!”
 
Hermione counted the gifts again. “I take it Malfoy and his friends get the rest then?”
 
Lullia nodded. “Along with Neville and Luna and John and Seamus-”
 
“Whoa!” said Harry. “You bought John Marko something?”
 
Lullia nodded as if it was no big deal. She knew Harry would act like this. Draco would probably be worse when he found out. They hated John. “Yes, he gets one. Don't worry Harry. Oh, and Julia also gets one! I hope everyone likes what I got them.”
 
“I'm sure they will,” said Hermione. She looked at the two boys. “Hey guys we better get back before we're caught or if someone tells on us.”
 
“Agreed. I'm dead tired too.” Ron stood up and hugged his boxes of chocolates. “See you tomorrow Lullia. Thanks again. I'll have my mum make you a sweater.”
 
She smiled. “I'd like that very much. Thank you Ron.”
 
Harry and Lullia then hugged each other and he thanked her for the jacket. “I'll get you something really nice. I promise.”
 
She nodded. “You don't have too, but since you insist….”
 
They laughed and Harry hugged her once more. Lullia and Hermione then hugged each other. Hermione then said, “OH!”
 
Harry and Ron quickly looked at Hermione. It was her realization “OH!” Lullia quickly raised an eyebrow at her. “What?”
 
Hermione looked at the boys. “Could you go on without me? I forgot that I needed to tell Lullia something. I'll catch up with you later.”
 
Ron held Hermione's gaze for a moment then nodded. “Okay. See you. Don't get caught.”
 
“Right back at you,” said Hermione.
 
Harry and Ron then left taking one last look at Lullia and Hermione. Ron didn't want to leave Hermione here, but kept walking. Harry sighed as they climbed through the door and went to their rooms. I wonder what Hermione needed to tell Lullia, he wondered. He shrugged it off. It probably wasn't that important anyway.
 
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * *
Hey Kids! I hope you liked the newest chapter. Reviews? Anyone? Even if it's a bad review at least I'll know. I wasn't so sure about Lullia's ring, so if later on I change it it's because it's just better. But yes….keep reading!! Lets find out on who she'll pick!
 
PS: reviews…? Please!!