Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Betrothed ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Lullia Marcus was dying. End of story.
 
Harry shook that from his thoughts as he held onto Lullia tighter. His scar was on fire and it wasn't going away this time. Right now it felt like the pain would never go away. He was breathing hard as he stared down her pale, barely breathing body. She was limp as she lay in his arms, mouth open, and looked around. Tears were running from everyone's eyes now. Harry's arm propped up Lullia's head while a black bruise began to form on her cheek. Her eyes began to slowly close.
 
“LULLIA STAY AWAKE!” screamed Draco. He, too, was trying to hold himself together. His hand gripped Lullia's right hand while his shirt was pressed up against Lullia's stomach. He was almost tempted to slap her awake.
 
Harry shot him a dirty look. “Stop yelling at her!” he snapped hugging her tighter.
 
Draco returned the dirty look. “If she goes asleep she might night be able to wake up!” he retorted. He then looked desperately at Hermione. “Hermione…please…save her!”
 
Hermione stood several feet away from them with her mouth open as well. She stared blankly at them not being able to witness on what she had just seen. Tears were also streaming from her eyes. Was she even able to help? She looked at Draco, unable to say anything.
 
This couldn't have happened. This had to be a bad dream. A nightmare at it's worst.
 
“HERMIONE!” begged Draco. “PLEASE! Do something!”
 
Harry had now began to let some of his tears flow. They ran down his cheeks and dropped onto Lullia's bloodied face. He saw Lullia's eyes weakly flicker from Harry over to Draco then down at her stomach. She saw her wand over by the stone wall covered in blood most likely.
 
Hermione fell down to knees and caught herself by her hands. “I don't know how to,” she whispered. “I don't know how to.”
 
“Anything will work right now Hermione,” said Harry now looking up at her. “Anything will WORK!”
 
Hermione, still breathing hard, turned and screamed, “RON!!!!! DAMN YOU RON! RUN FASTER!!”
 
Lullia heavily began to breath and felt the burn in her lungs. She coughed up blood all over Harry and herself. Harry was now as white as Lullia. “H-Harry…”
 
Harry quickly looked down at her. His other hand, covered in blood, touched her white cheek. “Don't talk. Someone will be here to save you.”
 
Her eyes then weakly looked over at Draco. “D-Drake-” Another wave of pain hit her and she squeezed his hand tightly. She coughed again this time looking in the opposite direction and the blood landed on Draco. His face crumbled after trying to stay together.
 
“Oh, God, Lullia,” whispered Draco. “Stop talking and stay awake!”
 
“I'm so sorry,” she breathed with her eyes slowly closing. “So….sorry…”
 
They then heard fast running coming towards them. Harry briefly ignored the footsteps and gazed down at Lullia. Her eyes were closed now as her breathing started to cease. She sounded like she was drowning.
 
No. Not now.
 
Hermione then quickly pulled out her wand and pointed it at Lullia. She hesitated for a second then said, “Anapneo!”
 
Lullia then sucked in air and began to cough once more. Her chest lifted high into the air as if someone had shocked her. She was breathing again. Harry and Draco looked over at Hermione who was now in tears. Her hands were covering her face. Her wand lay next to her knees.
 
“What the hell happened here!?” demanded Bronx.
 
Bronx was the newest addition to the Hogwart's staff. He had taken over the History of Magic's position and made the class exciting. He was fairly young for a teacher, which made all the girls love him. He was tan for being in the middle of winter with his sun bleach blond hair. Since it was his first winter he was dressed warmly. He now stared open mouthed at the students.
 
Occupying Bronx was Snape who also stared down, unbelievably at the scene. Three students covered in blood, one still bleeding. What had happened?
 
Ron had also occupied them, but was now attending to the crying Hermione. He wrapped his arms around her and she immediately went into his chest hugging and crying. Ron was now on the floor staring over at Harry, Lullia and Draco. Harry stared up at the professors.
 
“Help,” he stated in shock.
 
Snape stood there for a second, but Bronx was the one who moved the fastest. He quickly ran over to Harry and Lullia and kneeled down. He saw Draco's now blood stained shirt on her stomach and cringed. Bronx then looked up at Harry. Harry was white, now shaking as he clung to Lullia.
 
“Potter, right? I'm going to take her from you. She needs to get to the medical wing right now.” Harry made no movement to protest or anything. He simply now stared at Bronx. Bronx now turned his attention to Draco who's hands hadn't moved from Lullia's body. “You're-uh-that kid, too. Malfoy, right?”
 
Draco made no confirmation.
 
“Let go of her,” he ordered.
 
Draco looked from Bronx to Lullia then back to Bronx. He withdrew his hands from Lullia and sat back putting his hand into his pocket. He was also covered in blood.
 
Bronx then scooped up Lullia and took off running. Everyone stared after them. Was she going to make it?
 
Snape went over to Harry and Draco and kneeled down between them. He looked between both boys. Harry sat on his knees, mouth open, staring where Bronx had taken Lullia. He looked more in shock than before as his arms still held the space where Lullia had lay. Draco sat on his butt simply looking down and kept running his hand through his hair. Blood was now staining his white hair.
 
“Harry? Draco?” said Snape. He had never seen this before nor knew how to deal with this. Well with students anyway. When Snape had seen this with grown men they just received a slap to the face. He did in fact know how to deal with loosing someone. Lilly Evans flashed through his mind. Stop thinking of that!
 
The boys made no motion to answer.
 
“Potter! Malfoy! FOCUS!” he snapped and snapped his fingers. The boys seemed to come back to reality and looked at Snape. “Are you hurt? Are you bleeding anywhere?”
 
“Lullia,” muttered Harry. He was now horribly shaking. “Lullia!” Harry now jumped up and would've gotten pass Snape and to the medical wing if Ron hadn't stopped him.
 
“Calm down!” snapped Ron and shook Harry. He held onto Harry so he wouldn't try to run or fall down. Ron then looked at Snape. “Professor they aren't hurt…Lullia was the only one attacked…”
 
Snape raised an eyebrow. This was bad. He then returned his attention to Draco. He hadn't moved at all….he had moved though. Draco was now hugging his knees breathing heavily. Snape then looked back at Hermione.
 
“Granger stay with Malfoy. Weasley take Potter up to the medical wing. Don't leave them alone and if need be curse them. I'll escort you two as far as I can before the corridor to Dumbledore's office.” Snape stood up, took one last glance at Draco then went up to Ron and Harry. “C'mon.”
 
Ron then pulled Harry along following Snape who was walking briskly. Hermione and Ron exchanged hopeful looks then departed from sight. She now stood up, went over to Draco and kneeled down.
 
“Draco,” she sniffled. She wiped the tears from her face. He didn't move at the sound of his name instead he continued to stare ahead. Hermione didn't like it how the blood stood out on Draco's snow white hair. It was bone chilling. She then reached out and touched his shoulder.
 
Draco blinked then looked at Hermione's hand. His face crumbled once again and tears began to flow. “Lullia,” he choked. “It's all my fault…”
 
Hermione then did something that only she could think of: she hugged him. He relaxed in her arms and tightened his eyes. “Draco it's not your fault,” she said looking down at him. “It's no one's fault. C'mon lets go upstairs. Lullia needs you.”
 
Draco slowly nodded and they got to their feet. Draco then went over to the wall where Lullia's blood had been sprayed. He bent down, pocketed her wand, and returned to Hermione. They then went the way Snape, Harry, and Ron had gone.
 
 
* * * * * * *
 
 
Harry was sitting on one of the hospital beds staring at the rows of empty hospital beds. He finally realized where he was when he saw Madam Pomfrey running back and worth. A few of the other nurses were also quickly moving without a second glance at Harry. How long had he been staring at nothing?
 
Too long.
 
His mind now came back to him in a rush. Lullia. Where is she!? He quickly looked around seeing Madam Pomfrey, Professor Dumbledore, Snape, and Bronx standing by an occupied bed. Pomfrey shook her head as a nurse brought her potion and she poured it into the girl's mouth.
 
“Lullia,” he choked.
 
Dumbledore then looked up at Harry, frowning and concern written all over his face. Snape and Bronx turned towards him. Ron then appeared out of nowhere and sat down next to Harry.
 
“Are you alright?” asked Ron putting a hand on Harry's shoulder. He looked desperately at his friend. Ron had kept it together. Luckily, he had kept it together.
 
“How is she?” demanded Harry. He could feel more tears building up. She couldn't die.
 
“Whoa, calm down,” said Ron. “Breath Harry. HARRY! Breath!”
 
Dumbledore then walked over to the bed and sat down on the opposite side of Harry. He looked into the boy's eyes. Harry had began to breath heavily again. “Harry, Miss Marcus has been wounded very badly, but luckily with quick thinking from yourself and Mr. Malfoy she's alive. She's on her way to recovery. Do you understand?”
 
Harry stared at Dumbledore. “He was attacking her and all I wanted to do was save her! I didn't mean to! I swear Professor! I was trying to protect her!”
 
Dumbledore quickly nodded. “I know, I know. Please calm down Harry. Ron has already explained to me what happened. Right now you need to calm down.”
 
“I promise I didn't mean to!” exclaimed Harry. “All I wanted to do was save her from him!” he screamed the last part and stood up.
 
“Oh shit,” said Ron. He also stood up and shook Harry. “Get a grip of yourself man! Lullia's fine! SHE. IS. FINE! Now SHUT UP!”
 
“She's not FINE! SHE'S NOT! I hit her with the-”
 
Ron then smacked Harry across the face. Harry stopped talking as all eyes watched to see his next move. Ron simply stared at his friend hoping that woke him up from this repeated nightmare. Harry stood there for a moment, touched his cheek then his forehead crinkled. He heavily sighed.
 
“Thanks. I needed that,” he muttered and sat back down. He looked down at himself. He was now covered in dried blood. His clothes were soaked in it.
 
“Let's get you cleaned up Harry,” said Dumbledore. “Then you can go sit by Lullia.”
 
Harry nodded and stood back up. He needed to get the blood off of his hands. He felt so ashamed. If she died it'd be partly his fault…everyone knew that he was just trying to protect her, but would they really accept that?
 
Ron patted Harry's shoulder making sure he was okay. “Hey, it wasn't your fault. You had no control over it.”
 
He nodded and was led over to a basin filled with clear water. Madam Pomfrey had laid out an extra pair of white pajamas, a washcloth and towel. Ron stood several feet away as Harry quickly changed and washed up. He quickly washed his hands that turned the clear water into a murky red color. His stomach cringed. It was Lullia's blood. He then quickly washed his face and glasses. The water was now red.
 
He turned back to Ron and saw Ron staring at the doorway. He looked over to see Hermione dragging Draco pass Lullia's bed. He was staring at Lullia, pale, guilt written all over his face, and no hope. Harry had seen more emotion out of Draco today than in the years he'd known him. Hermione pulled him towards where Harry and Ron stood, but Draco went towards Lullia's bed.
 
Snape stopped Draco and dragged him towards Harry and Ron. “Draco! Keep yourself together!”
 
Draco shot Snape a dirty look. Snape then shoved Draco at the basin, pulled out his wand, flicked it, and the water returned nice and clear. Frowning Draco began to undress and dug into his pockets for his things.
 
Hermione went up to them despite Draco changing. She now had some blood on her face from helping Draco. She held it together for Harry. “Are you okay?”
 
Harry slowly nodded. His scar was still burning, but not as bad. He looked over at Lullia's bed where Snape had rejoined the teachers. Professor McGonagall had now joined them, concern written all over her face as she stared down. She now looked between Dumbledore, Bronx, and Snape. McGonagall now looked over at the three that were usually involved with everything plus one more surprising student. She then returned her attention to Dumbledore.
 
“I think I'm fine for now,” he muttered. He then turned to look at Draco. He was now buttoning up his shirt looking directly down at the ground. Draco had gotten off most of the blood, but streaks of red still stained his blond hair. “Draco?”
 
He looked up at his name, but said nothing. He finished with his shirt and started to walk towards back to Lullia's bed. This time Dumbledore turned, put his hand up, and ordered in his polite way, “Please stay right there for a little longer. Sit down if you must.” Draco stopped without saying anything.
 
“Has he said anything?” muttered Ron to Hermione. She shook her head. A soft smile crossed his lips then went away. “Maybe he needs a good slap like Harry.”
 
Harry smirked and cursed himself for it. Any other time he would've laughed and high fived Ron, but not today. A smirk was fine, but if he had laughed, he knew he would've been damned to hell for it. He quickly brushed off the smirk and went up to Draco.
 
“Hey are you okay?”
 
Draco now glared at Harry; his icy, death glare that his father had taught him. Harry was now on the ground holding his cheek. Draco had slugged him and yelled, “You son of a BITCH! WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING!?”
 
Hermione then went down to Harry's side and grabbed his shoulder. She glanced over him and then looked up at Draco. Ron was now in Draco's face and shoved him back. The professors now moved.
 
“What do you think you're thinking?” snapped Ron. “It's not Harry's fault-”
 
Draco then shoved Ron off to the side like he wasn't even there or had touched or talked to him. He kept moving towards Harry. Ron was now nonexistent to him along with everyone around him. Harry was all that he could see.
 
“That curse could've killed her! I wouldn't even have used it with her that close to him!” he growled. “You're a bloody damn idiot and if anything happens to her it's your fault!
 
Harry simply stared up at him. He was right. His heart cringed.
 
Hermione then stood up and narrowed her eyes at Draco. “Back off Malfoy!”
 
Before Draco could continue yelling at Harry (he didn't even register that Hermione had spoken) Bronx came up from behind, wrapped his arms around Draco and pulled him away. “Whoa! KIDS! Stop this!”
 
“Let GO OF ME!” yelled Draco.
 
Dumbledore then looked over at Madam Pomfrey who already held a sleeping potion. “I think it's time that Mr. Malfoy gets some kind of rest.”
 
Draco narrowed his eyes at Dumbledore. “I'm not drinking that shit! This would've never happened if-”
 
Silencio!” snapped Snape. Draco then quickly closed his mouth. “Once again, Mr. Malfoy, pull yourself together!”
 
Draco swallowed as Madam Pomfrey came over holding the cup of sleeping potion. Bronx then forced Draco's mouth open and Madam Pomfrey poured it down. Within seconds Draco was dead to the world. Bronx then carried him over to a bed and put him down.
 
Ron then pulled Harry up from the ground and frowned. “Man, you're going to have a bruise. He really slugged you. Does it hurt at all?”
 
Hermione shook her head at Ron and muttered, “I've never seen him act like that before.”
 
“Not yet,” muttered Harry. He looked at Dumbledore. “How's Lullia?”
 
Dumbledore simply looked at Harry. No words to say. How to tell him was written on his face.
 
Question answered. Bad.
 
Harry's heart now sunk. She was dead. He had killed her. “I-I killed her, didn't I?” He now swayed and Hermione and Ron grabbed him before he fell and blacked out.
 
Hermione and Ron now looked up at Dumbledore. He shook his head. “She's not dead, but I do believe that Miss Marcus is strong enough to pull through. At the moment she's not doing so well.”
 
Ron and Hermione exchanged glances. They knew if Lullia died Harry would never forgive himself. This wasn't good at all.