Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Betrothed ❯ Chapter 20 ( Chapter 20 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Draco stared at his father that simply returned a fatherly stare, his famous fatherly death glare. Draco didn't dare to move until Lucius would say something. He looked down at his father's cane, his hand stood out white from gripping it. To the common eye Lucius looked fairly calm for what had happened, but to everyone who knew him, beyond pissed. Death seemed to cross his path when he was beyond piss.
 
“Yes, well he is my son after all,” he stated. He looked over at Harry still sitting with Lullia. He returned his gaze back to his son. Draco noticed an angry emotion cross his face. Not good. “Thank God that everyone made it out alright. Lullia will recover soon, correct?”
 
Dumbledore nodded. “We believe so. Today she looks fairly better. She has more color. Wouldn't you agree, Draco?”
 
“Yes, Professor,” he stated. His voice cracked.
 
Lucius then cleared his throat. “Excuse me Albus, but may I have a few minutes with my son?”
 
“Yes, of course Lucius. I'll be in here waiting.” Dumbledore walked over to Harry and Lullia and sat down on the bed.
 
Lucius's brow crinkled then quickly went back to normal. Draco knew that twitch. More than likely he was going to get more than hug or smack across the face. His mother knew that face and feared it; he learned that face and accepted it.
 
“Come Draco.” Lucius lightly grabbed his son's shoulder and pulled him towards the doors.
 
Draco took one more glance at Lullia then caught Dumbledore's eye. Dumbledore was watching them. Well it's nice to know that if I get a broken nose someone's here to fix it. Harry's eyes also followed Draco as he and his father went out the doors and closed. They went out and Lucius closed the doors and dragged Draco a few feet away from the door.
 
He waited for the blow from either the hand or the cane. Lucius's death stare turned into the icy, death stare. WACK. Draco didn't dare hold his cheek in front of him. He would just get another.
 
“What the hell were you thinking?” demanded Lucius. “This was such a simple task and all you did was ruin it. And what the hell is that Potter kid doing by sitting next to her, uh? I thought we agreed that you'll go after her! You cannot be second best anymore! And to make matters worse you attacked him!”
 
“I didn't know he would come!” retorted Draco. WACK. He bit his tongue before crying out in pain. That one was from the cane, in the head. The back of his head tingled.
 
“Well what do you have to say about this?” he hissed. “You've nearly ruined everything. Everything!”
 
The sting on his face was now burning. Man he's really pissed. Draco kept his eyes to the ground like he had done over the years. He had learned this from a very young age. No matter what Lucius was going to view this as Draco's fault. Everything was his fault no matter what.
 
“Look at me boy,” he ordered grabbing his neck and moved his head up. Lucius gripped his neck with his fingernails almost breaking the skin. Draco was sure his neck would be bruised as well or at least red for a while. “Your aunt is furious about this. She couldn't believe that you tried to break the shield to save this girl-”
 
“I didn't know what was going on,” protested Draco, breathless. Lucius released his son and Draco gasped for air, almost choking. “What was I suppose to do? Just let her die? If you should be hitting anyone hit Potter or Vold-”
 
Another strong slap across the face. Draco was sure it'd bruise by the end of this conversation. Lucius stared down at him, angrily. I said too much, was his passing thought as Lucius raised his hand again. Draco braced himself for this one. Each smack got worse when he raised his hand. He should've known that his father would loose his temper at that.
 
Idiot.
 
This smack made Draco fall back on to the stonewall. He slid down to the ground and the cane went into his stomach. These were the times when he wished his mother would magically appear or Mr. or Mrs. Marcus. Hell, even Weasley's parents would be good enough.
 
Screaming for help would be death.
 
“Don't you dare say his name, boy,” hissed Lucius. “You're even lucky he hasn't killed you because of your recent actions. Disappearing like that! Disgrace to the whole family!!”
 
Draco was now holding his stomach. The wind had been knocked out of him by that stupid cane. He wouldn't be surprised if that cane had killed anyone. He didn't dare talk to his father now. The next blow would probably knock him out and become a vegetable for the rest of his life.
 
Lucius kneeled down to where he was eye level with his son. His face looked calmer, but Draco highly doubted it. “She wont be able to save you for much longer and likewise with her. She'll either join or die. Don't you understand how important this is?” He smacked Draco again. “The more you do this childish act the punishment will be worse and if you fail, no one will be able to save you. And I mean, no one. Do you understand? Will you try harder and stop jerking around? We need her.”
 
On the outside Draco was calm, cool and collect like his father's appearance. On the inside he was screaming, crying, and broken more like his mother appearance during these dark times. Actually, she was now like this all the time trying to keep her only child safe. If he said anything else than yes, he was sure he'd wake up in a month or so. Draco stared at his father who waited for an answer. This time Draco grabbed his jaw as if to readjust it back into it's socket. God it hurt.
 
“Yes, Father, but she'll refuse-”
 
“Make her an offer she can't refuse,” he snapped. His voice was ice cold.
 
Draco was sure Voldemort nearly killed him for his own actions. Threats to his mother and about him, but he knew Lucius only cared about his wife-well hopefully anyway.
 
“He also said that she's wearing that ring. What do you know about this?”
 
“Nothing,” he stated. “She hasn't said anything-”
 
The door opened and Draco quickly looked at the door. Dumbledore was now looking down at Draco then looked up at Lucius. He raised an eyebrow. Draco's face was already becoming blue.
 
“Is everything alright out here?” he asked.
 
“Yes, Professor,” stated Draco standing up to much of a surprise to himself and his father. “I just felt sick. That's all.”
 
Dumbledore looked between father and son. Lucius then spoke. “Well Draco I must depart to tell your mother that at least you weren't hurt and not a drop of blood on you. She'll be very pleased. Good day Albus.”
 
“As to you Lucius.”
 
Lucius briskly walked away not taking a second glance back at Draco or Dumbledore. Soon he disappeared from sight, which sent great relief over Draco. At least in Hogwarts he was safe. He heavily sighed and softly touched his face at which he winced. Hopefully that'd be the last time he saw him. He stood up still holding his face, hidden from Dumbledore.
 
For now at least.
 
Dumbledore looked over Draco, closed the door behind him, and softly grabbed his chin. Draco didn't protest as the old man turned his head to the left and checked out his face. Dumbledore had a sickening look across his face. His eyebrows narrowed, forehead crinkled, and his nose almost seemed to flare.
 
“The next time he visits I promise you that you wont be left alone,” said Dumbledore now releasing his grip from him. “I should've known better than to leave you alone with him. I apologize.”
 
“I don't know what you're talking about,” stated Draco and walked back into the hospital wing. He saw Harry's mouth drop open at the sight of his new face.
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
Draco was now icing his face as he stared up at the ceiling in a bed. It had been half an hour since his father left and no one had left him alone. First it was Dumbledore who had sat on the bed across from him asking all sorts of questions. Draco knew what he wanted to hear: all the abuse stories and the plea to come back to Hogwarts early.
 
“Draco I cannot help you unless you tell me,” stated Dumbledore handing him the icepack. The bruises were now black against his pale face and one was slightly swelled. “Please.”
 
He took the icepack and lightly pressed it against his face. The coldness bit at the stinging and finally made it numb. He shook his head. “I can't,” he said honestly. He knew deep down if Dumbledore knew he wouldn't be seeing Hogwarts or daylight again. “Thanks for the ice.”
 
Dumbledore simply nodded glancing over at Hermione, who had just woken up and went over to Harry, then back at Draco. He patted his shoulder. “I believe that some secrets are best not to tell. At the moment, of course.” He stood up and left the hospital wing.
 
Next Hermione came.
 
She had seen Dumbledore leaving and her face turned into shock at the sight: Draco's face bruised with an icepack up to it. She covered her mouth and nearly ran over to him. She moved quickly not hesitating on stopping right in front of his face.
 
“What happen to you?” she demanded. “You were perfectly fine last night!”
 
“Hermione!” snapped Harry, now standing and walking over to them. He saw the look that flashed across Draco's face: pain.
 
She gave Harry a sharp look then back down at Draco. “Who did that to you? I didn't even see Voldemort touch you unless…” She now turned on Harry. “Did you bruise his face?!”
 
Harry jumped back almost scared for his life. He quickly shook his head putting his hands up surrendering. “Of course not! I didn't do anything to him!”
 
Hermione's forehead crinkled as she turned back to Draco. She stared at him concerned almost waiting for an answer.
 
He removed the icepack from his jaw. “My father likes to leave traces of himself when he visits.” Hermione's face fell and slowly became pale, stunned. “Get that look off of your face. This is nothing compared to other times.”
 
“O-Other times?” choked Harry. He was in shock too. Even though the Dursleys hated him at least they never beat him. His stomach turned when he saw Draco slightly move his neck seeing the red marks right on the pulse areas.
 
“I'm fine. Go away,” he muttered and placed the icepack back on his face.
 
“You are not fine! You have to tell Dumbledore, so your father doesn't come back here!”
 
“I said I'm fine,” he said sternly.
 
“NO!” snapped Hermione. “This-that on your face-is abuse! That is not even close to fine-”
 
“I KNOW!” he snapped back. “Thank you for telling me. What did you think my life's like with him? Happiness and harmony? Please leave me alone!”
 
Hermione glanced back Harry then Lullia then back down at Draco. “Fine.” She turned on her heel then stormed out of the hospital wing.
 
Harry watched her leave then turned his attention back onto Draco. He was now lightly pressing against the other side of his face. He slightly winced when he moved it higher up onto his face. “Does he always do that to you?”
 
“He did this twenty feet away from Dumbledore. What do you think?”
 
“I'm sorry,” he said and turned around to walk back to Lullia. He stopped after several steps and turned back around. Draco was now lying down with the icepack covering his face. The marks on his neck were now showing clearly. “Why did you come back to Hogwarts early?”
 
“Couldn't come back with a bruised face, now could I?”
 
“No, I guess not. Sorry.” Harry then returned by Lullia's side.
 
“Don't tell anyone Potter!” he ordered. Harry simply nodded. He didn't blame him at all.
 
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
It had been three long days before there was any kind of noticeable improvement with Lullia. Over the three days Harry and Draco were excused from class while Ron and Hermione were only excused if Lullia's condition worsened. Ron and Hermione would automatically leave from their last class and head up directly to the hospital wing. Sometimes they'd stop by the Great Hall to grab food for them even though they all barely ate.
 
Everyday Ron and Hermione would walk in and everyday they were surprised to see Harry and Draco sitting on the same bed staring down at Lullia. Draco's face was better and the bruising had almost gone away. No one ever said anything to him about it. Other times Harry would be sitting by Lullia while Draco would be across the room lying down on a random bed or vice versa. Once they did stop by the door to listen in hearing the soft, civil conversation between the two boys.
 
The first day was probably the hardest for them since that's when the others visited Lullia. Most of the Gryffindors that Lullia had befriended came along with the few Slytherins, Julia and some of her fellow Ravenclaws, and John with some others Hufflepuffs (Draco had disappeared when the Houses came, but returned when John and his friends visited). When Draco had entered the room (he was dressed in his normal day clothes like everyone else) John, sadly, gazed at him. Draco didn't say anything to him as he passed Lullia's bed to sit on another random one, this time by Ron and Hermione. A few people stared directly at his face. Even though Lullia had gone out on dates with John and the Prophet said that there any type of engagement between her, Harry and Draco, John and the rest of the student body knew the truth. No matter how well they tried to cover it up Harry and Draco failed at keeping their emotions in tact when they looked over at her sleeping.
 
Ginny came to visit Harry in the hospital wing when most of the students either stopped visiting or didn't want to stay any longer. She walked in and quickly saw Lullia in the bed. This time Draco sat on Lullia's bed looking down at her and holding her left hand. His face was blank as he watched her breath. She then looked over to see Harry, Ron, and Hermione sitting on the beds in a group. Ron was the first to see his sister and waved. Harry and Hermione looked over and also waved. Ginny made her way over to them and gave a weak smile.
 
“How is she doing today?” she asked sitting next to Harry. They all looked over at Draco and Lullia. He hadn't moved in a while as if he also became a statue.
 
“The same,” stated Hermione when Harry and Ron said nothing.
 
Harry's heart cringed at that. No improvement. Dumbledore had suggested moving her to St. Mungo's, but Edan and Rose protested saying that they'd rather have her at Hogwarts stable then move her when she got better. They were coming the day after tomorrow and requested to be alone when they visited their daughter.
 
“I'm sorry,” said Ginny and wrapped an arm around Harry. “How are you doing?”
 
“Better,” muttered Harry. “She hasn't changed at all. She's-still-so-”
 
Harry was about to crack once again. Ron and Hermione had hopped that Harry could keep holding it together like he had before, but now, they believed that this was all too much. Ron and Hermione exchanged looks. They had to do something. Hermione then stood up looking at Ron.
 
“Could you come with me Ron?”
 
Ron, confused, nodded and stood up anyway. Hermione grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the hospital wing. She glanced back at Draco then at Harry and Ginny. Draco saw Hermione and Ron leaving then looked over at Harry who was being embraced, tightly, by Ginny. He returned his gaze back down to Lullia, kissed her hand, stood up, and followed Hermione and Ron out of the room.
 
Lullia's arm then slowly moved up to her chest. Her hand covered her heart.
 
“She'll make it,” said Ginny. Harry was holding back his tears as Ginny soothed him as she rubbed his back. “Harry everything will be okay.”
 
Harry then looked into Ginny's eyes and lightly kissed her cheek. Ginny blushed. “Thanks Ginny. That's means a lot.”
 
“I know,” she nearly whispered.
 
The evening was hell for everyone since Lullia started to scream in her sleep. She first started to scream in the late morning. She was kicking and her hands were gripping and ripping the sheets. Her head moved from left to right to left wildly. She was drenched in sweat. Ron and Hermione had decided to sleep in their own beds hoping Harry would follow. He didn't instead he stayed in there with her and Draco. Harry and Draco stayed in the hospital beds by Lullia. When she screamed they sat up, turned to look at her, and ran over to her.
 
“LULLIA!” snapped Harry. He looked so scared as she tossed in bed. He looked up at Draco. “What do we do?”
 
Without thinking Draco then shook her with full force. “Snap out of it!” he yelled. “WAKE UP!”
 
Madam Pomfrey then came running in with an assistant nurse. The assistant nurse dragged Harry and Draco outside while Madam Pomfrey quickly silent Lullia's screams. She came out of the hospital wing and told the boys, “Just a nightmare. She's fine. You can breath now.” Her eyes fell on Draco. “I've been meaning to ask you, where did you get those bruises at?”
 
“I fell,” he lied easily.
 
“Alrightly then. Get back in there. Get some sleep. You both look dreadfully pale.”
 
The two boys were dreadfully pale as they went back inside the room and next to Lullia. For the rest of the night she was quiet like before.
 
It was the third day when Mr. and Mrs. Marcus came to see their daughter. They were going to arrive in the mid-morning giving Harry and Draco just enough time to get out before they arrived. Dumbledore had made sure that Harry and Draco were up, dressed, and ready to return to their own rooms. Harry and Draco had been standing over Lullia when Dumbledore reentered the hospital wing.
 
“It's time to be off,” he said walking up to the foot of the bed. He gazed down at Lullia who had approved over the pass two days. “She has gotten better. Don't fret I'm sure in the next few days she'll be up.”
 
Lullia had gotten back most of her color and was starting to rustle about. Madam Pomfrey had said that Lullia's rustling about was a good sign that she'd be up soon. Lullia only had one more nightmare with her uttering someone's name, but not clear enough for anyone to understand her.
 
“Come, come,” said Dumbledore lightly gripping Harry and Draco's shoulders. “They'll be here shortly.” He led them out of the door while the boys took one last glance at Lullia.
 
When they went into the hallway they saw Mr. and Mrs. Marcus being led by McGonagall to the hospital wing. Harry made eye contact with them and instead of a glare or something much worse they simply looked at him. McGonagall stopped when she realized that they weren't following her anymore. Even though Harry had seen a younger version of them surprisingly enough they hadn't changed much. Mr. Marcus was dressed in an old fashioned, new, Muggle business suit. He had longer hair than before, which was gelled back making him seem younger than he actually was. Mrs. Marcus stood with her back perfectly straight with her hair pulled back into a low bun. She wore a dark teal dress with a black belt across her stomach, a black hat neatly fitted on her head and black heels. She was also wearing short white gloves and a black coat that was slung over her arm.
 
Royalty? Maybe.
 
“Edan. Rose. She's in here,” said McGonagall and motioned to the other side of the door.
 
“Yes. Thank you Minerva,” said Mr. Marcus. He touched Rose's elbow. “Rose.”
 
Rose looked back at her husband then back at Harry, Draco, and Dumbledore. She took a few steps towards them.
 
“Harry Potter, correct?” she asked.
 
Harry held his breath and didn't dare to breath ever again. She didn't look like she would strike him or anything. He slowly nodded. “Yes, ma'am.”
 
Rose held out her gloved hand. “Unlike my husband I know how to use my good manors. It's a pleasure to finally meet you.” Harry lightly shook her hand. “We knew your parents. I'm very sorry that they had to die so young. You look like James, I must say.”
 
“Thank you Mrs. Marcus.”
 
She slightly nodded. “Lullia speaks highly of you. I now know why.” She looked up at Dumbledore and Draco, nodded, and turned back to her husband. He grabbed her hand and they went into the hospital wing.
 
Harry stared at the doors as McGonagall went up to Dumbledore. Draco then grabbed Harry's shoulder. “C'mon,” he muttered and shoved his hands into his pockets. Harry nodded and they walked to their own dorms for once. Dumbledore and McGonagall went inside the hospital wing to join the Marcus family.