Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Betrothed ❯ Chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 23
 
Lullia sat in her robe with her pale blue and yellow-stripped pajamas underneath it. Her hair was barely pulled back into a low ponytail and her face was still very pale. It had almost been a week since she had gotten up and was on her way to a full recovery. Everyone had visited once she had woken up then when she was allowed to move back into her own room. Hermione had permission to stay with her. Harry visited her every day. He still held the guilt written all over his face.
 
Dumbledore poured her some tea and added one spoonful of sugar. Smiling, he handed her the teacup with steam rising.
 
She took it returning a weak smile. “Thank you, Professor. Again I apologize for looking like this.” She wasn't use to be out in public in only her robe especially with meeting a professor.
 
“Miss Marcus you're on your way to healing, I honestly do not care of what your appearance is just as long as it's alive and well.” He took a sip and watched her as she slowly drank. She had stopped wearing the ring. He attempted to try to remember if she had been wearing while she slept. He couldn't remember. “How are you feeling?”
 
“Much better. Thank you. It's a joy to be back in my bed. I cannot again thank you so much for taking care of me.” She paused as she took another sip of tea. “I hope one day I can return the favor.”
 
Dumbledore waved his hand. “Please, don't apologize my dear. An attack like that does take help, no matter how great of magic is used. I'm honestly surprised that you've recovered this much. I didn't expect you to be up for some time.” He was truly amazed at her strength even after loosing all that blood and a brief coma.
 
Lullia shrugged and placed the cup on the desk. She leaned back gazing around the office. Books and papers everywhere, portrait figures moving about, and the snow now flying wildly outside. Yesterday it had been nice as Harry brought her outside.
 
“Me too,” she said. “You have a wonderful doctor and potions master. I can't thank them enough either. Professor Snape brings me potions almost every night.”
 
“Yes, I heard. A few nights ago I understand that you had a horrible fever spike?”
 
Lullia nodded. “Yes,” she hesitated on answering. “I guess Draco got sick a few days before and somehow I got it.”
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
“Hermione, what's wrong with her!?” demanded Draco.
 
He had decided to check up on her after fighting some sort of virus. Three days ago when he had visited she was fine. He had spent a few days in the hospital wing vomiting. Lullia was lying in bed, dead white again, breathing heavily as sweat broke out then disappeared and then quickly broke back out into a cold sweat. She was shivering as Hermione quickly covered her with blankets.
 
“Apparently she caught your cold when you visited the last time!” she retorted. “I'm going to get Snape. You stay here-” She shoved a bucket into Draco's arms. “-and when she does barf, make sure she gets some of it in here!”
 
Hermione then quickly left leaving Draco and Lullia alone together. He placed the bucket next to her head as she leaned over and vomited. His own stomach turned as he held her hair back.
 
“Sorry for getting you sick,” he muttered. “I should've known…”
 
Lullia rested back against her pillows now lying on her side. She lightly touched his knee and shook her head. “Not your fault. I'm going to be sick again!” She then leaned back over grabbing the bucket as Draco continued to hold her hair back.
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
 
“Yes, I think I caught something of Draco's bad immune system,” she muttered resting her head on her hand. She was so tired. It felt like she had taken all of her energy to just walk down to Dumbledore's office and stay awake. And catching a stupid virus from Draco hadn't helped either. God, she could've killed him.
 
It was so hard to stay awake nowadays.
 
Dumbledore nodded almost like he knew what had been going on. He sipped at his tea closely watching Lullia. “Forgive my nosiness and none of my business, but I saw you and Mr. Potter walking the school grounds yesterday afternoon. I hope everything went well and that the coldness wont impair your healing.”
 
Lullia quickly shook her head. “Oh, no, no, Professor. Harry made sure I was warm enough and didn't let me stay outside too long.” She then saw the window to the far left near the back where she and Harry had been sitting. “He took very good care of me.”
 
“I'm glad to hear that Miss Marcus. He's taken quite a fancy to you.”
 
She softly smiled and looked down at her barely drunken tea. “Yes, I've noticed.”
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
 
Harry and Lullia were sitting by the lake underneath one of the frozen trees. They were bundled up with a large blanket around them and drinking tea. The weather was warm and there was no wind. Not many people were out since all were inside buying Fred and George's new tricks.
 
“Again Lullia I can't apologize enough for hitting you with that curse,” muttered Harry after some time. He looked like he was still in horrible pain on what had happened.
 
Lullia looked at him and grabbed his hand. “Harry, how many times do I have to tell you that it wasn't your fault? I'm thankful to have you as a friend to try so hard to break that shield.” She paused. “Also you also hit him as well. You did everyone a favor.”
 
Harry shook his head. “I should've aimed better. Malfoy was right by not using that spell.”
 
“And he was also wrong. Once again you surprised Voldemort by getting through his shield. You're a hero.” She friendly elbowed his side and smiled. “It's so nice out here.” She always changed the subject whenever Harry started to relive that memory.
 
Harry nodded in agreement. They were quiet for a while until Harry brought up the last burning question of that day. “Lullia why does Voldemort want you so badly? You acted like you've been denying him for a while now.” He paused seeing her face. “Sorry, I sorta overheard you guys talking…”
 
Lullia quickly shook her head. “It's alright because I have been denying him for a while now along with my mother's family. Apparently he doesn't know what `no' actually means.”
 
“But why? Do you have something he wants?”
 
“Yes.” She looked directly into his eyes. “He wants my extraordinary power.”
 
Harry's forehead crinkled. What? “Your extraordinary power? Like what? Family connections?”
 
“Something like that. My family connections could bring him to power easier and much faster.” Harry stared at her blankly. “I'm sure you know of Regulus Black and Adara Jackson engagement correct? Aunt Adara was murdered by Voldemort because of what I have, my mother has, and my grandmother has. Watch the tree.”
 
Could she even do it? She was so tired and weak now.
 
Harry looked up to see the tree at first completely frozen then it quickly turned into a full-bloomed tree with fresh winter leaves. The grass around them began to grow as the snow disappeared. The air was still cold, but it didn't affect the freshly summer tree or grass.
 
“I can use magic without my wand, any kind of chanting, just thinking. The spells are also powerful than average, even the simplest. I can even use the killing curse with a simple thought. I can do anything with a simple thought, very powerful. The only reason Voldemort knows of this power was because one of Regulus's friends let it slip out. When she refused, he killed her then he went after my mother. He stopped trying when the Marcus and Jackson family joined the fight against him.”
 
Harry stared at her for a moment. It all made sense now. The reason why Pansy was still frozen solid for so long, why Regulus went against Voldemort, and why he hissed at Lullia. He looked back up at the tree. “Can you reverse it without a wand?”
 
As Lullia nodded the leaves fell away and the tree and grass went back to their winter sleep. The snow around them stayed melted and gone, but everything had returned back to normal. She smiled weakly already feeling completely drained out. He might have to carry her back.
 
“That's very cool,” said Harry. “I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who could do that.”
 
Lullia shrugged. “Its genetic,” she muttered. “One time when I was little I accidently turned Draco's hair pink,” she giggled.
 
Harry began to laugh for the first time in a long while.
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
 
“I assume that Mr. Potter now knows of your ability?” asked Dumbledore.
 
Lullia nodded. “I showed him. Hopefully that answers all his questions on why Mr. Riddle wants me.”
 
He nodded, still unsatisfied. “And what of Mr. Malfoy, if I may ask. Does he know any of this?”
 
Lullia looked at the floor, shook her head and muttered, “No, he does not. I don't have the heart to tell him and I don't think he would understand.”
 
Dumbledore now leaned forward in his chair with his soft grandfather of a smile. “Miss Marcus I can assure you that Mr. Malfoy would understand. After all, I've also noticed that he's taken a liking to you as well.” He then looked up seeing the slight frown, but somehow at the same time, a smile across her face, but turned his attention to the person now standing in his office. “Ah…Professor Snape, is it really that time already?”
Lullia turned to see her savior and smiled. “Good afternoon Professor. How are you today?”
“Good,” he said shortly and looked over her. “I see you're on your way to a nice recovery.”
She weakly smiled. “Thank you-“
“Miss Marcus do you mind excusing us?” asked Dumbledore standing up. She quickly nodded and pulled herself up. “Would you like me to get you an escort on the way back to your room? Please excuse me for saying this, but you look dreadfully pale, my dear.”
Lullia quickly shook her head. “No thank you Professor. I'm just extremely tired, that's all. Thank you for the tea. Good day Professor Dumbledore, Snape.”
 
 
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
Lullia slowly walked back to her room thinking of everything that had happened and that would happen. She shivered and sat down on the steps and looked over the edge. She rested her head on the railing, regretting getting an escort. The flights of stairs would be the death of her. She saw some Gryffindors running about the staircases and some lost first years trying to find their houseroom.
 
Nothing would ever be the same again here or anywhere else. Voldemort had gotten inside Hogwarts, had his thin, boney fingers around her neck, and she, like so many, had almost died. Most of the students had returned acting normal never truly knowing what had really happened. Lullia couldn't believe that cover-up either: she had walked into a wizard duel without knowing and had gotten hit. A bit shady and unbelievable, but still believable compared to the Dark Lord breaking in.
 
To be carefree again would be wonderful-never again.
 
“C'mon,” he said.
 
She looked up seeing him standing there with his hand out for her. She grabbed it and he pulled her up. He helped her back to her room.